IGNORED

Numbers up?

glastored

20 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Too much is read into squad numbers. While the lack of numbers for some of our youngsters could mean some are going to be loaned out it could just as easily mean theyre going to mainly play in the U21s. They will get a squad number if and when they're called up to the 1st team squad, as has been the case in previous seasons. 

Stop with all that common sense ? A loan or two to be announced in next 48hrs as well. 

52 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Too much is read into squad numbers. While the lack of numbers for some of our youngsters could mean some are going to be loaned out it could just as easily mean theyre going to mainly play in the U21s. They will get a squad number if and when they're called up to the 1st team squad, as has been the case in previous seasons. 

If squad numbers were unimportant, players might as well be numbered alphabetically from 1 to 30 or whatever.  But they’re not, so you’d struggle to convince me that players numbered, for instance, 1, 5 or 9 were likely to be less likely to start than players numbered 12, 16 and 20.  Of course some players have their number quirks, and we have a few of those, but generally speaking numbers 1 to 11 can usually be read as a guide to intended first choice in an ideal world where everyone is fit and in form.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Could be quite a transitional period for the u21s this season.

When you look at the u21s that played last season early or a lot last season:

Sam Bell, Joe Low, Harvey Wiles-Richards, Seb Palmer-Houlden, James Morton, Josh Owers (and Ryley Towler)

and the unknown status of:

Sam Pearson, Dylan Kadji, Omar Taylor-Clarke, Stefan Bajic etc.

You could quite imagine us wanting Leeson, Knight-Lebel and Araoye to be staying here.  They might benefit more from training with the first team everyday too.

A tough balancing act.

47 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If squad numbers were unimportant, players might as well be numbered alphabetically from 1 to 30 or whatever.  But they’re not, so you’d struggle to convince me that players numbered, for instance, 1, 5 or 9 were likely to be less likely to start than players numbered 12, 16 and 20.  Of course some players have their number quirks, and we have a few of those, but generally speaking numbers 1 to 11 can usually be read as a guide to intended first choice in an ideal world where everyone is fit and in form.  

Being pedantic if they were numbered alphabetically wouldn't they be A-Z, Aa, Bb etc I just don't think the numbering counts for much anymore across most clubs in England. Tanner is numbered 19 but I expect him to play more often at right back than McCrorie who is 2. King at 10 won't be a regular starter over Knight who is 12. Neither Conway or Wells have been given 9 and both are likely to start more often than Cornick who has that shirt. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Could be quite a transitional period for the u21s this season.

When you look at the u21s that played last season early or a lot last season:

Sam Bell, Joe Low, Harvey Wiles-Richards, Seb Palmer-Houlden, James Morton, Josh Owers (and Ryley Towler)

and the unknown status of:

Sam Pearson, Dylan Kadji, Omar Taylor-Clarke, Stefan Bajic etc.

You could quite imagine us wanting Leeson, Knight-Lebel and Araoye to be staying here.  They might benefit more from training with the first team everyday too.

A tough balancing act.

I expect Leeson and Taylor-Clarke to get a squad number as the season progresses but serious game time will probably mean we've had some serious injuries. 

I'm not sure I expect Pearson, Kadji, Idehen and Bajic to be around post January 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I expect Leeson and Taylor-Clarke to get a squad number as the season progresses but serious game time will probably mean we've had some serious injuries. 

I'm not sure I expect Pearson, Kadji, Idehen and Bajic to be around post January 

Leeson if he’s not gone on loan, don’t think Taylor-Clarke will get one.

4 hours ago, Big C said:

Squad numbers

1 Max O’Leary

2 Ross McCrorie

3 Cameron Pring

4 Kal Naismith

5 Rob Atkinson

6 Matty James

7 Alex Scott

8 Joe Williams

9 Harry Cornick

10 Andy King

11 Anis Mehmeti

12 Jason Knight

13 Harvey Wiles-Richards

14 Andi Weimann

15 Tommy Conway

16 Rob Dickie

17 Mark Sykes

18 Ayman Benarous

19 George Tanner

20 Sam Bell

21 Nahki Wells

23 Stefan Bajic

24 Haydon Roberts

26 Zak Vyner

27 Jamie Knight-Lebel

28 Raphael Araoye

One thing this shows (which @Davefevs will love) is the lack of squad churn. Looking at the above, I make it 18 of 26 players allocated the same squad number as last season, 2 “promoted” in numbers (Max/Cam) and then 4 new signings. (Plus the two youngsters). Essentially it’s as settled a squad as you could expect to see, but also one that’s on a development curve as opposed to stagnating. In effect 20 of 26 in the squad this season that were last can only be beneficial.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Leeson a very outside chance. As an example - OTC not a cat in hells… (crying wolf on tour with injuries put pay to that) the ‘pathway’ door is very much closed with decent recruitment this summer and a clean bill of health amongst senior pros. ‘Chances’ were given at the back end of the season on the premise of a thread bare squad - nothing else. The only way that changes is if senior pros aren’t getting game time and want out or if injuries in volume rares it’s ugly head again. 

• Like 2