IGNORED

Numbers up?

glastored

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, but Pring wore 3 today, Dickie 16, Knight 12, but wasn’t really taking note…so don’t know about Roberts and McCrorie.

24 & 2.

Bajic with 23 was the other notable one, others all as last season.

• Thanks 1

1 Max

2 McCrorie

3 Pring

4 Naismith

5 Atkinson

6 James

7 Scott

8 Williams

9 Cornick

10 King

11 Mehmeti

12 Knight

13 Wiles Richards

14 Weimann

15 Conway

16 Dickie

17 Sykes

18 Benarous

19 Tanner

20 Bell

21 Wells

22 Kalas is he stays

23 Bajic

24 Roberts

25 Wood

26 Vyner

27 Araoye

Can see Cornick taking 7 if Scott goes and Conway having 9.

2 hours ago, RedEyez said:

1 Max

2 McCrorie

3 Pring

4 Naismith

5 Atkinson

6 James

7 Scott

8 Williams

9 Cornick

10 King

11 Mehmeti

12 Knight

13 Wiles Richards

14 Weimann

15 Conway

16 Dickie

17 Sykes

18 Benarous

19 Tanner

20 Bell

21 Wells

22 Kalas is he stays

23 Bajic

24 Roberts

25 Wood

26 Vyner

27 Araoye

Have we given up on Taylor- Clarke already?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Do shirt numbers actually have any relevance anymore? 

With players having chosen numbers etc long gone that 1-11 stood for anything 

I mean being as some players have their shirt number as a condition in their contracts it definitely means something. Seeing Pring get 3 feels well deserved and I do think Conway and Bell have earned shirt numbers of their choice based on their development. 

3 hours ago, RedEyez said:

1 Max

2 McCrorie

3 Pring

4 Naismith

5 Atkinson

6 James

7 Scott

8 Williams

9 Cornick

10 King

11 Mehmeti

12 Knight

13 Wiles Richards

14 Weimann

15 Conway

16 Dickie

17 Sykes

18 Benarous

19 Tanner

20 Bell

21 Wells

22 Kalas is he stays

23 Bajic

24 Roberts

25 Wood

26 Vyner

27 Araoye

Thanks for that. I know a lot of people aren’t bothered about numbers, but I am! Once the numbers are sorted I feel the season is about to begin! Let battle commence! Once more into the fray!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spike said:

I mean being as some players have their shirt number as a condition in their contracts it definitely means something. Seeing Pring get 3 feels well deserved and I do think Conway and Bell have earned shirt numbers of their choice based on their development. 

Do they?………….:cool2:

I’ve never heard that before.

• Admin
11 hours ago, Spike said:

So you agree the 1-11 don't mean anything as some players could be wearing absolutely anything

Numbers mean next to nothing these days, the only thing they will tell you is, if a player isn't assigned one, then they most likely are leaving, that's about it,

Oh apart from goalkeepers, I'm still pissed off about Billy mercer wearing number 2

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Numbers mean next to nothing these days, the only thing they will tell you is, if a player isn't assigned one, then they most likely are leaving, that's about it,

Oh apart from goalkeepers, I'm still pissed off about Billy mercer wearing number 2

I recall when squad numbers first came out and were optional, Charlton did theirs alphabetically, and defender Stuart Balmer wore No. 1 ?‍♂️

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

So you agree the 1-11 don't mean anything as some players could be wearing absolutely anything

I mean it means something to some, not so much for others. I've always worn number 18 or 23 due to it being my daughters birth dates but I know a lot of people still see 1-11 as an "honour" of sorts as it's like a "first choice" for first team player kind of thing. I don't think it's as big of a deal as many make it out to be but it still matter to some. I've always associated 3 and 2 with the left back and right back role and being first choice, if I was playing FM or when I was a part of a sunday league team I prioritised those numbers to my first team players in those positions but like I said, it matters to some, but definitely not to all or you wouldn't have big name players choosing numbers out of that range.

• Like 2

Just now, Robbored said:

I guess you’ve never played bowls Dave.  

Of “Corsie” I have.  I’m alright “Jack” at it too!

Weymouth and IOW “rinks”.  Weymouth was best, but then I’m “biased”, “skip”.  And my dad smoked a pipe like David Bryant.  There’s a joke in there about “Alcock” and “Wood” and being “measured”, but I wouldn’t drag this into the “gutter”.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, phantom said:

Do shirt numbers actually have any relevance anymore? 

With players having chosen numbers etc long gone that 1-11 stood for anything 

They can do to some supporters and players. Traditionalists often like to see centre halves at 5 & 6, wingers at 7 & 11, a midfield of 4, 8 and 10 and the centre forward at 9. Being 9 at Newcastle for example was a big deal and every play making midfielder in Europe wants to wear 10. No italian Iikes to wear 23 as its their equivalent of our 13.