IGNORED

442 season prediction

East Londoner

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wouldn't write off WBA entirely but there are a few things that need to fall in their favour from here IMO.

Kipre and Mowatt returning could hit the ground running again, they both have ability at this level.

That aside rather depends IMO on how many more go from here. Yeah their depth still thinning out but I think they may hope for some loanees too. Otoh the aforementioned Kipre and Mowatt plus Alex Palmer in goal, Swift and Yokuslu in midfield, Wallace out wide and Dike fitness permitting oh Molumby too in midfield, should give them some hope. Quite like Thomas-Asante too! A sprinkling of experienced Championship players around the squad too.

Most importantly retaining Corberan. I imagine he has them quite unified but if he was to walk...

A very good friend of mine has been a client of Albions for years and we watched the game at the Hawthorns last year from the VIP section. He has been telling me since March, the club has no money, it can't afford wages for their big names and everyone is for sale. He's even been offered his table in the restaurant this year on a special deal that if he pays for 2 years now, they will give him the third year free. The same has been done with boxes, etc. He said a lot of the players want gone, and all those in final year of contract have already been told they would have to take a significant pay cut to get a renewal. He was reliably told Jake Livermore who was there captain was offered only 10K a week (a fifth of his previous contract to sign a new deal) and said that they literally haven't got any money and he doubts there will be any signings, and they need to sell players. He watched their game on Tuesday against Cheltenham and he said they looked awful, they played most players for about 65-70 minutes and none of them looked any good. They also asked Chalobah to rip up his contract and move on this week, as they can't afford his wage.

My mate is certain that it will mainly be academy players this season, that they will fail FFP and that they will probably go into administration this year. He thinks they will be closer to going down, not up.

Edited by robinforlife2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

A very good friend of mine has been a client of Albions for years and we watched the game at the Hawthorns last year from the VIP section. He has been telling me since March, the club has no money, it can't afford wages for their big names and everyone is for sale. He's even been offered his table in the restaurant this year on a special deal that if he pays for 2 years now, they will give him the third year free. The same has been done with boxes, etc. He said a lot of the players want gone, and all those in final year of contract have already been told they would have to take a significant pay cut to get a renewal. He was reliably told Jake Livermore who was there captain was offered only 10K a week (a fifth of his previous contract to sign a new deal) and said that they literally haven't got any money and he doubts there will be any signings, and they need to sell players. He watched their game on Tuesday against Cheltenham and he said they looked awful, they played most players for about 65-70 minutes and none of them looked any good. They also asked Chalobah to rip up his contract and move on this week, as they can't afford his wage.

My mate is certain that it will mainly be academy players this season, that they will fail FFP and that they will probably go into administration this year. He thinks they will be closer to going down, not up.

Certainly seems to be the case doesn’t it…they are in a bit of a mess.

If it were me, I’d be keeping a very careful eye on Caleb Taylor.  He was on loan last season at Cheltenham, played 40+ as a 19 year old.

52 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Wow thanks, didn't realise it was quite that bad. Corberan will do well to keep them up perhaps in tbis case, just looked at the squad earlier and thought it wasn't so terrible..that sounds like the new Derby in some ways though.

Cash Flow sounds terrible, FFP a bit of s surprise- I've ummed and aahed but think that if it comes would be in 2024-25 not 2023-24.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wow thanks, didn't realise it was quite that bad. Corberan will do well to keep them up perhaps in tbis case, just looked at the squad earlier and thought it wasn't so terrible..that sounds like the new Derby in some ways though.

I recommend looking up the impressive Action for Albion fans group. The 442 writer appears to know nothing about what @robinforlife2has posted. 10 minutes research would have put him straight if only had been assed. ?

• Thanks 1

The thing that’s being missed here again is print deadlines. FFT started dropping on doorsteps on Monday. That means it probably had to have been finalised by a couple of weeks prior, so say end of June. That then skips (using us as an example) the signing of Knight and anything that may happen with Scott. For Cardiff, it skips five signings. Leeds - skips loads of sales. The shapes of the squads when the previews by fans came in (early June) which may inform the preview are markedly different from what starts the season. 

I get they need to get the preview out in Julys issue. But in view of the above you’re just as well urinating in the wind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the flipside we are increasingly cohesive as a unit, our young players such as Bell and Conway are a year on in experience and players such as Mehmeti and Cornick will have had a full pre-season.

Tanner and Pring ➡️ McCrorie and Roberts is quite a good range. Knight has a bit of a goal threat too or can do.

Less injuries wouldn't go amiss. We need less medium term injuries if we are to operate a relatively tight squad.

This is if Scott stays.

Two or three new signings..if Scott goes, in priority positions surely is a bit of a must. GK, CB especially left sided and a midfielder.

I think you're unduly pessimistic but we will need some luck too of course.

Fair comment mate 

I’m excited to see bell, Conway and mehmeti next season but I’m still thinking we need at the very least a new gk and cm when Scott goes to even think about top 10 . 

• Like 1

Not even early days but  think we will be top six. Defence have been better and  will progress, key.  Many goalscorer in the team, refs on our side, he he. Mixed of young and old players, competition for the starting eleven. We showed last season we can play good football, its not gonna be easy but I hope and think this season will be good.

16 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

I find 442's recent journalism to be lazy.  It's almost like they sit in the office and go "West Brom and Norwich will be up there, they're big clubs...", "Let's pick a club with the momentum of promotion from last season (it can't be Plymouth because we can't be bothered to venture that far out-west", "Blackburn and Sunderland did ok last season so we'll back them" and that old chestnut "Leicester and Southampton will bounce back; 2 clubs always do.  Haemorhaged players?  Have they?".

"Let's fill in the gaps....oh, you missed Hull...where is there a gap?"

I agree, it was good when it first came out but social media has left them behind. 

@Shtanley’s OSIB magazine has shown the way for printed football articles IMHO. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

I find 442's recent journalism to be lazy.  It's almost like they sit in the office and go "West Brom and Norwich will be up there, they're big clubs...", "Let's pick a club with the momentum of promotion from last season (it can't be Plymouth because we can't be bothered to venture that far out-west", "Blackburn and Sunderland did ok last season so we'll back them" and that old chestnut "Leicester and Southampton will bounce back; 2 clubs always do.  Haemorhaged players?  Have they?".

"Let's fill in the gaps....oh, you missed Hull...where is there a gap?"

Yep - classic “do the easy top and bottom then pretty much guess the middle”

This league always throws up surprises, a couple will struggle that no one expects and a couple will be in the top 6 that no one calls early.

Could be us as much as any of those top half predictions.

12 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Agreed.  My father in law is a Baggie, and he has hated the past couple of seasons, and seems to feel more depressed than ever about their prospects this season.

11 hours ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Fair comment mate 

I’m excited to see bell, Conway and mehmeti next season but I’m still thinking we need at the very least a new gk and cm when Scott goes to even think about top 10 . 

Oh yeah fair also, Scott will be a big hole to fill.

I'd say GK, CB, CM if he goes. Post Boxing Day our ppg was top 10 and maybe better. Otoh our squad is a bit thin in parts- Atkinson, Naismith and Benarous all out. Not as thin as last year of course.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chinapig said:

I recommend looking up the impressive Action for Albion fans group. The 442 writer appears to know nothing about what @robinforlife2has posted. 10 minutes research would have put him straight if only had been assed. ?

Absolutely. This is why browsing other forums is worthwhile. You get a better idea of the mood at clubs and the inside info than you do from the neutral (uninformed) media.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the flipside we are increasingly cohesive as a unit, our young players such as Bell and Conway are a year on in experience and players such as Mehmeti and Cornick will have had a full pre-season.

Tanner and Pring ➡️ McCrorie and Roberts is quite a good range. Knight has a bit of a goal threat too or can do.

Less injuries wouldn't go amiss. We need less medium term injuries if we are to operate a relatively tight squad.

This is if Scott stays.

Two or three new signings..if Scott goes, in priority positions surely is a bit of a must. GK, CB especially left sided and a midfielder.

I think you're unduly pessimistic but we will need some luck too of course.

I agree we could do with a new CB pop, but not sure why we need another ‘lefty’ as such. When both fit Atkinson & Naismith can play there. Also Dickie can in a 2. I think we need another Dickie/Kalas type that can play either side if any but  GK & CM great priority for me.

If big Rob was fit I would say we were well stocked at CB, given McCrorie considers himself a CB & Roberts started there. Trouble is with Big Rob not back until what Nov earliest it does leave us slightly light.

I guess this would then give us flexibility to play Naismith in midfield when all are fit/available but I’m also not convinced that’s where Naismith will be used or even if he will be best there. 

Either way we have good options now. As for 442’s prediction I have no problem with that or staying under the radar as such.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm convinced that this is tied to, in the case of Dilks especially, Pearson and his- at best disappointing- few months in charge of Derby in 2016..

Dilks is very much a Derby fan and it shows, dunno who Peach supports.

Yepp, that's very true. Guess who Dilks thinks will be our key player next season? Jason Knight, shock! 

https://twitter.com/secondtierpod/status/1682375371834941440?s=20

IMO, the main issue Dilks has with Pearson is the fact that Pearson isn't considered very 'cool' . He's an (almost) 60 year old English bloke from the north. Many neutrals associate him with boring, defensive, long ball football - strange, given this hasn't been our experience of him at all.

If you look at the language Dilks uses to criticise Pearson, it's quite easy to see this. Dilks is always suggesting that we need someone "younger and more exciting!". The criticisms are of Pearson himself, not his ability as a manager. Fairly confident in saying that if Pearson was 20 years younger and Italian, Dilks would have a very different view of him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Yepp, that's very true. Guess who Dilks thinks will be our key player next season? Jason Knight, shock! 

https://twitter.com/secondtierpod/status/1682375371834941440?s=20

IMO, the main issue Dilks has with Pearson is the fact that Pearson isn't considered very 'cool' . He's an (almost) 60 year old English bloke from the north. Many neutrals associate him with boring, defensive, long ball football - strange, given this hasn't been our experience of him at all.

If you look at the language Dilks uses to criticise Pearson, it's quite easy to see this. Dilks is always suggesting that we need someone "younger and more exciting!". The criticisms are of Pearson himself, not his ability as a manager. Fairly confident in saying that if Pearson was 20 years younger and Italian, Dilks would have a very different view of him.

Quite possibly so yeah. I think Knight will be a great addition for us but for whatever reason Pearson bombed at Derby in 2016. Expectation was promotion I guess given they were in and around the playoffs as it may have been here had Pearson come in summer 2020 or even summer 2019 say.

His first few months as interim and in 2021-22 were sketchy tbh style wise but then he inherited a disaster in a range of ways. Hard to pin-point when exactly the turning point was.

The subsequent improvements in many areas have vindicated both his methods and our faith in him.

17 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

I agree we could do with a new CB pop, but not sure why we need another ‘lefty’ as such. When both fit Atkinson & Naismith can play there. Also Dickie can in a 2. I think we need another Dickie/Kalas type that can play either side if any but  GK & CM great priority for me.

If big Rob was fit I would say we were well stocked at CB, given McCrorie considers himself a CB & Roberts started there. Trouble is with Big Rob not back until what Nov earliest it does leave us slightly light.

I guess this would then give us flexibility to play Naismith in midfield when all are fit/available but I’m also not convinced that’s where Naismith will be used or even if he will be best there. 

Either way we have good options now. As for 442’s prediction I have no problem with that or staying under the radar as such.

If (and when) Scott leaves,we need to strengthen the spine - GK to challenge Max, another quality CM...and a striker,good age, with power & pace(not easy I know).

TBF to 442 it’s not an easy task, especially when you do it weeks before the season starts. Anyone who’s done this will know how difficult it is and we all get a few howlers when we have a look at the end of the season.

I don’t think their last season effort looks too horrendous.

Having said that they’ve placed us 8 places too low this time and one or two others look a bit off the mark. We’ll see.

On 21/07/2023 at 13:40, Robbored said:

Football related articles predicting league positions is based entirely on guesswork. I really don’t get why these editors bother - they’re never right.

Based on guesswork? You don’t say?! ?

Seriously, one of the reasons they do it is because it generates interest and gets their magazine talked about. And it works. 

And although I recognise the predictions for what they are, I quite enjoy reading those accompanying pieces where a fan of the club talks about their expectations, about who else they see doing well, about other teams they like visiting and so on. 

• Hmmm 1