IGNORED

Random question - car seat laws in france

citywest30

Hi

Am aware there are some regular posters who live in France. Can i get some help please?

Going on holiday in a few weeks and hiring a car. Want to know if my 4 1/2 year old can just have a backless booster seat or if she needs to have a proper car seat.

Thanks in advance.

Oops sorry thought I'd put this in the general section. Obviously this is nothing to do with transfers ?

7 hours ago, italian dave said:

Don’t know if these help.

The French one looks very technical! But maybe more thorough. The RAC one seems to be a summary (. You have to scroll down a bit to get to the section on child seats)

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F628?lang=en

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

Thanks. Yeah we saw them but couldn't make sense of the French one.

10 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Hi

Am aware there are some regular posters who live in France. Can i get some help please?

Going on holiday in a few weeks and hiring a car. Want to know if my 4 1/2 year old can just have a backless booster seat or if she needs to have a proper car seat.

Thanks in advance.

Oops sorry thought I'd put this in the general section. Obviously this is nothing to do with transfers ?

Get a Toyota Hilux and put the kids in the back tray. Seriously whatever you can do to keep your kids safe is the priority. Have a great holiday mate and keep safe.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Thanks. Yeah we saw them but couldn't make sense of the French one.

Me neither! But I wasn’t sure whether that was just because I have no idea at all about child seats!

I wondered if what they call a “child seat” is what you call a “proper car seat” and “booster seat” what you call a “backless booster seat” - and then it’s just down to the weight of the child? Rather than age. But I have no experience I’m afraid!

When I was little we just got chucked in the back of a van! 

Enjoy the holiday! 

• Thanks 1

On 22/07/2023 at 22:23, citywest30 said:

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate

From memory it goes by weight/height, I think you need a proper seat to be legal

But as others have suggested any hire car company will tell you and fleece you for the correct seat!

• Thanks 1

On 22/07/2023 at 23:23, citywest30 said:

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Does this help?

Ceinture de sécurité, siège auto enfant ou bébé : quelles ...

I am assuming you are able to understand the basic French, but, in brief, a child aged ten or less requires a proper childrens' car seat, i.e. not just a booster seat.

There are exceptions for children taller than 150cm (just under five feet), but I imagine this doesn't apply to your 4 1/2 year old daughter.

Bonnes Route et Bonne Vacances.

• Thanks 1