IGNORED

Professional foul

Redandproud

Why did the referee not act on today's game, Tommy Conway was clear going for goal, there defender brought him down, and referee waves play on,yes it was a friendly, it's usually the referee informs the manager to take the player off instead of giving him a red,even NP said it  was a professional foul, 

5 hours ago, Redandproud said:

Why did the referee not act on today's game, Tommy Conway was clear going for goal, there defender brought him down, and referee waves play on,yes it was a friendly, it's usually the referee informs the manager to take the player off instead of giving him a red,even NP said it  was a professional foul, 

The referee was poor. Looked like we could've had a couple of pens (I e. Sammy Bel in the first half. I don't think though was anything more sinister than he just didn't think it was a foul. From memory it was a clumsy challenge but a genuine attempt to play the ball. Doesn't make it any less of a penalty, but wouldn't have been a red card under the new/clarified rules for the season ahead so I don't believe a sending off would even have come into the equation.

The most obvious answer is the ref didn’t believe it was a foul. He was wrong - both watching it real time and replay.

Broader I thought it was a poor performance from the ref but that was in a strange way beneficial. It meant the game got a bit more feisty than a normal pre season in parts and that can only aid sharpness. A couple of incidents stand out there - about 30 minutes in Scott had a free kick given against him harshly - next tackle he absolutely left one on the Pompey player and nothing was given. The second was Roberts absolutely firing into things. But that was a whole 45 minutes thing!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

The referee was poor. Looked like we could've had a couple of pens (I e. Sammy Bel in the first half. I don't think though was anything more sinister than he just didn't think it was a foul. From memory it was a clumsy challenge but a genuine attempt to play the ball. Doesn't make it any less of a penalty, but wouldn't have been a red card under the new/clarified rules for the season ahead so I don't believe a sending off would even have come into the equation.

The referee was Gurdan Sings son, (spelt wrong I know, he used to wear a turbin when a ,  referee

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

The most obvious answer is the ref didn’t believe it was a foul. He was wrong - both watching it real time and replay.

Broader I thought it was a poor performance from the ref but that was in a strange way beneficial. It meant the game got a bit more feisty than a normal pre season in parts and that can only aid sharpness. A couple of incidents stand out there - about 30 minutes in Scott had a free kick given against him harshly - next tackle he absolutely left one on the Pompey player and nothing was given. The second was Roberts absolutely firing into things. But that was a whole 45 minutes thing!

In friendlies, referees don't usually use Yellow cards, when it's a red they usually consult the manager to take the player off by the means of a substitute, but it was definitely a red in the second half when Alex Scott was clear on goal and the defender took him out, but the referee waved play -on, plus 2 penalties in the first half, the ref didn't have a clue, 

Just now, Redandproud said:

In friendlies, referees don't usually use Yellow cards, when it's a red they usually consult the manager to take the player off by the means of a substitute, but it was definitely a red in the second half when Alex Scott was clear on goal and the defender took him out, but the referee waved play -on, plus 2 penalties in the first half, the ref didn't have a clue, 

I missed that incident. Probably because Scott was subbed at half time.

• Haha 4

52 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Just watched the highlights on YouTube & with that & the blatant penalty on Pring, wow.

Either he was some local ref who is a Pompey fan or refereeing standards remain shit.

I know what my money is on.

It was the referees first game incharge, he's doing EFL championship next season,

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I thought he was awful yesterday. Was letting a little bit to much go IMO for a friendly. As for the professional foul, sending off all day long 

Ref was Sunny Gill.

Just like our pre-season opponents were a gradual build-up in quality, we thought we’d get a bad ref in as prep for next week! ?

Seriously though, I think @Silvio Dante’s point is a good one.  I liked that the game got niggly.

Morrell caught Williams late, Tins said he won’t let him get away with that…5 mins later, Williams giving Morrell a little clip off the ball!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ref was Sunny Gill.

Just like our pre-season opponents were a gradual build-up in quality, we thought we’d get a bad ref in as prep for next week! ?

Seriously though, I think @Silvio Dante’s point is a good one.  I liked that the game got niggly.

Morrell caught Williams late, Tins said he won’t let him get away with that…5 mins later, Williams giving Morrell a little clip off the ball!

It’s a fair point. There was quite a bit going on. When the first blooded tackle went in I looked at the bench and Jason Euell had a quiet word with the fourth official. 

One thing for sure we are ready for next Saturday. Excellent pre season IMO

9 hours ago, Redandproud said:

The referee was Gurdan Sings son, (spelt wrong I know, he used to wear a turbin when a ,  referee

You really did spell it wrong... I was thinking you meant Gurnham Singh, not Jarnail Singh! The rest of my reply below still stands though!

Was he really? That would explain a lot. Gurnham Singh, Vic Callow and Lester Shapter era was a dark one for refereeing!

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Redandproud said:

It was still a professional foul, regardless 

Your opening post even referenced Tommy!

Like I said though, from memory I don't think it was. It was a foul, sure, but iirc he made a genuine attempt to challenge, which under the new guidelines would be a yellow only.

It's also not his first season as a referee. He's referred 87 matches to date, 23 in the EFL. It'll be his first season in the Championship though... But if yesterday was anything to go by then any hopes we had that standards would improve this season look to be fading already of that's the standard they're promoting.

3 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Like I said though, from memory I don't think it was. It was a foul, sure, but iirc he made a genuine attempt to challenge, which under the new guidelines would be a yellow only.

That’s only in the penalty area though isn’t it. Professional foul outside the box is still a red whether there is a genuine attempt or not. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It has to be given as a foul for there to be a sending off! 

it is not Gill’s first season in the EFL coming up. It’s his second. 

Yeah, there was a feature on him on ITV’s EFL Highlights last season.

Memories of his dad weren’t good though ???

50 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

That’s only in the penalty area though isn’t it. Professional foul outside the box is still a red whether there is a genuine attempt or not. 

Not sure, I'll have to check. I thought the guidelines were just around the foul and not where it took place, but quite probable that I'm mistaken. Either way, I thought the foul was in the box anyway, wasn't it?