IGNORED

BRISTOL CITY PROGRAMME IS BACK!

Blagdon Mike

I bought one, it’s pretty good and with a few improvements could be very decent. I appreciate as a fan-led production, it’s difficult to get access to the club and the current playing side.

Naturally, a lot of the content in the programme appealed to those of us who pine for nostalgia, but there wasn’t loads in there about the current side (though the features on Preston were well written and informative).

Additionally, it would be very challenging to achieve but for me it isn’t a programme unless it starts with a column from the manager and the chairman.

A nice read, It did lack information and stories on our current squad but I’m sure that’ll come. I did enjoy reading about Brian Clark even though he was before my time. Also liked the U21’s and Women’s player profile pictures. 

All in all I liked it, probably not enough to spend £4 on every game but I’ll certainly get it every now and again. 

Thanks for putting it together, but why can’t the club collaborate & provide content? They have a decent size marketing team knocking out all manner of stuff.

Appreciate the club don’t think it’s commercially viable to print but they could at least supply (donate) content with the same effort as they do for social channels.

Technically, this another medium to reach the intended audience.

I brought a program and was a bit disappointed as there was so little contact about today's match and the current team, 

I am really not interested in what the club was done many years ago which made up a big percentage of it, 

I didn't think it was worth £4 it had the look of a Weston league program would have liked to have seen more pictures, 

I probably wouldn't buy it again in its current format, if they reduced all the history content down to one 2 page article a issue and had the rest of it about what's going on now and much more content on the match it's being sold at I would buy it, 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, glastored said:

Definitely not worth four quid. Probably won’t buy another one. Very disappointed.

5 hours ago, winsaw said:

I brought a program and was a bit disappointed as there was so little contact about today's match and the current team.

I didn't think it was worth £4 it had the look of a Weston league program would have liked to have seen more pictures, 

I probably wouldn't buy it again in its current format

As expected then.

I really want to be nice about this because it's not easy at all. And it's great that there's something for people who like programmes to buy.

But the quality isn't equivalent to other Championship clubs, as claimed. It's the sort of programme you get at non-league clubs. Nothing wrong with that, of course, just that the sales pitch on this thread got a bit carried away.

Maybe try and attract some advertising to get the price down by a pound. I know this is easier said than done.

Perhaps it would also make sense to use fans of other clubs (podcasters/bloggers/fanzine editors etc) to write really in-depth pieces on the opposition. The guy who writes the Loft for Words QPR site, for instance, is brilliant.

There are also City fans producing really interesting stuff elsewhere (Dave Fevs' statistical analysis for instance) that could find a home here.

I'm trying to be constructive because I want this to succeed, but as it stands I fear the only people who will pay £4 are programme collectors and confused away fans who don't realise it isn't official.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Harry R said:

I really want to be nice about this because it's not easy at all. And it's great that there's something for people who like programmes to buy.

But the quality isn't equivalent to other Championship clubs, as claimed. It's the sort of programme you get at non-league clubs. Nothing wrong with that, of course, just that the sales pitch on this thread got a bit carried away.

Maybe try and attract some advertising to get the price down by a pound. I know this is easier said than done.

Perhaps it would also make sense to use fans of other clubs (podcasters/bloggers/fanzine editors etc) to write really in-depth pieces on the opposition. The guy who writes the Loft for Words QPR site, for instance, is brilliant.

There are also City fans producing really interesting stuff elsewhere (Dave Fevs' statistical analysis for instance) that could find a home here.

I'm trying to be constructive because I want this to succeed, but as it stands I fear the only people who will pay £4 are programme collectors and confused away fans who don't realise it isn't official.

I really agree with all that, I want it to be a success but can't see people paying £4 every match for it in its current format, if they could get some advertising in and drop the price to £2 it's got more of a chance, 

It really did feel like a non league level program and that's the price they should be going for, I think people would be happy with less pages in it if that reduced the cost as long as all the content was about the match it's been printed for, 

I also brought OTIB yesterday that was only £2 and full of stuff about what's happening with the club now with the team and some good peace's about what happened over the summer, for me I found that for more interesting read,

Fingers crossed it's a work in progress and ciderds can be adapted to make it more of a match day program, I feel a bit bad about being negitive about it as clearly some people have put a lot of work into it, 

Personally a bit disappointed after the fanfare on here re its production over the past week. I was expecting a bumper glossy brochure along the lines of the one produced by OSIB. I never normally buy a programme anyway but thought I would give it a go. Will probably go back to the OTIB fanzine instead next time.

9 hours ago, winsaw said:

I brought a program and was a bit disappointed as there was so little contact about today's match and the current team, 

I am really not interested in what the club was done many years ago which made up a big percentage of it, 

I probably wouldn't buy it again in its current format, if they reduced all the history content down to one 2 page article a issue and had the rest of it about what's going on now and much more content on the match it's being sold at I would buy it, 

Hi Winsaw

Thanks for your opinion well appreciated 

If this project is going to work then we obviously need the support of the fan base as this is for them

I know we won't please everybody but I can assure you every effort is being made to listen / improve / move forward

I don't mind constructive opinions and new fresh idea's

At the moment our hands are tied but hopefully with engaged interaction with the club we can make this fan based football programme that the majority of fans who have an interest in programmes will want to buy

Firstly I would like to thank all those fans who bought a copy yesterday and for all the positive comments that were made on the day by genuine fans who were overwhelmed with delight at the return of the programme on a matchday

Secondly paper has tripled in price in the last 12 months so £4 on the day or £3-50 ( subscription ) is the bottom line. I paid £5-55 for a pint of Thatchers Gold yesterday at the stadium. The economy has gone crazy and that's why I'm based in Thailand most of the time.

Your not interested in the clubs history or nostalgia but the majority of our buyers yesterday were thrilled to see this content ( I have done a quick survey with feedback from the 4 sellers and  an estimated 70% of the buyers were middle aged to older people )

I want to cover all age groups as much as possible 

The season has just begun and I'm very happy with all the feedback I received at the stadium 100% positive

I want to get up to date stats but with no games played yet that's impossible unless I use last seasons data

You mention you would like to see more pictures ? 

I stopped counting the picture content at 120 so for a 32 page programme that averages 4 pics per page which is plenty

Regarding the match with PNE there are 8 pages ( 25% content ) covering the match or associated with the game / championship

I agree we need more current team involvement but for this I will need club approval / sanctioned access and an agreement ( this will take time but I can assure you this has been requested and on-going )

Also we as a team are doing this voluntarily and our aim is to bring back printed programmes that will enhance the matchday experience of fans and continue a tradition that has been part and parcel of a matchday routine for decades. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Personally a bit disappointed after the fanfare on here re its production over the past week. I was expecting a bumper glossy brochure along the lines of the one produced by OSIB. I never normally buy a programme anyway but thought I would give it a go. Will probably go back to the OTIB fanzine instead next time.

Hi Sir Geoff

Everyone's entitled to an opinion if you prefer a fanzine style magazine that's your choice

The feedback I got at the stadium was fantastic

The front cover is 250 gram glossy / shiny weather protected  with an option of a plastic sleeve to keep it dry if you wanted. The inside pages are 130 gram well above the spec of most championship clubs

All the content is factual with no adverts 

We could fill it with adverts to make it bumper but at present that's not the aim

This programme has twice as much football content than last years on line issue

The season has just begun lets all be positive

Did you like any of the content ? 

• Like 2

I hadn't bought a programme in years but thought I'd give your new publication a go. Unlike some of the other posters I thought it was an excellent read. It was well balanced with all the best elements of programmes down the years eg piece on the opposition, player links between the clubs, playing squad and fixtures table etc. I liked the featured articles on Chris Garland and Brian Clark and the down memory lane pieces, particularly what we were reading. My favourite back when I was a teenager was Goal magazine and had every issue, including the pilot issue, from it's first publication in 1968 until it finished in 1974. I wish I still had them now. 

Keep up the good work. I look forward to the next issue. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Fitzy Red said:

Hi Winsaw

Thanks for your opinion well appreciated 

If this project is going to work then we obviously need the support of the fan base as this is for them

I know we won't please everybody but I can assure you every effort is being made to listen / improve / move forward

I don't mind constructive opinions and new fresh idea's

At the moment our hands are tied but hopefully with engaged interaction with the club we can make this fan based football programme that the majority of fans who have an interest in programmes will want to buy

Firstly I would like to thank all those fans who bought a copy yesterday and for all the positive comments that were made on the day by genuine fans who were overwhelmed with delight at the return of the programme on a matchday

Secondly paper has tripled in price in the last 12 months so £4 on the day or £3-50 ( subscription ) is the bottom line. I paid £5-55 for a pint of Thatchers Gold yesterday at the stadium. The economy has gone crazy and that's why I'm based in Thailand most of the time.

Your not interested in the clubs history or nostalgia but the majority of our buyers yesterday were thrilled to see this content ( I have done a quick survey with feedback from the 4 sellers and  an estimated 70% of the buyers were middle aged to older people )

I want to cover all age groups as much as possible 

The season has just begun and I'm very happy with all the feedback I received at the stadium 100% positive

I want to get up to date stats but with no games played yet that's impossible unless I use last seasons data

You mention you would like to see more pictures ? 

I stopped counting the picture content at 120 so for a 32 page programme that averages 4 pics per page which is plenty

Regarding the match with PNE there are 8 pages ( 25% content ) covering the match or associated with the game / championship

I agree we need more current team involvement but for this I will need club approval / sanctioned access and an agreement ( this will take time but I can assure you this has been requested and on-going )

Also we as a team are doing this voluntarily and our aim is to bring back printed programmes that will enhance the matchday experience of fans and continue a tradition that has been part and parcel of a matchday routine for decades. 

Thank you for the info, it dose explain some of the issues you have had with getting more current content, 

My comment any pictures was not about the number it was more size quality, I was hoping that maybe the center 4-8 pages would have pictures on, two good pictures a page, a bit like in a bit like in when Saturday comes were they do a whole match day experience in pictures, this could be great for away games , just a thought, 

If you could get the content up to more of a 50/50 split old and new I would definitely be interested in buying regular, 

I like the idea rased above about more stats always a good way to look back at a game just gone and into one coming up, 

Finally good luck with this I will buy it again in a few issues time to see how it's progressed, 

Problem is, you can talk about the problems, this that and everything else you've got to deal with but the average consumer doesn't care. They want value for money and a solid product. Most feedback here compares it to non-league so you can debate it with facts on the problems you have for as long as you like but none of that matters.

You've created a product that caters to, as you've stated yourself, the middle-aged, and producing something that seemingly only really caters to that age group is a dying product before you've even began.

You talked it up as being a top notch production with all this experience you all have BUT... from what I can tell you're all looking at it with rose-tinted glasses because you're creating a product for yourself, not for a wider audience who have different expectations. How many people with a genuine voice on your production are young enough that they don't ever remember AG without the Atyeo stand? If you only get old men involved in producing a product, you only get old men  buying it.

Sorry if it seems harsh but you seem to be ignoring a lot of the feedback here and standing against rather than listening to it and it feels like that's just because you're creating something for yourself so you can keep your programme collection going.

And stop comparing it to the price of a cider. When I'm thirsty or want to get drunk, I don't think, "Oooh I'd love to read a programme right about now".

Take the feedback people have given you and make a better product. These people are your consumers and you're already losing them.

Edited by TBW
  • Like 1

I think the fanzine point is a good one and an opportunity to be more creative. 

Unless I’m wrong, the OTIB team don’t have card readers. Ashton Gate is cashless, and I’d imagine in common with lots, I don’t typically carry cash now. The balance of an unofficial programme and a more “rough and ready” fanzine covers a lot of bases if got right, so there is an opportunity for sales of one to cross pollinate the other. 

Therefore, have the programme guys considered linking up with OTIB? Enables the latter to open up the “cashless” stream and you could do things like buying both for a fiver.

• Admin
23 hours ago, Fitzy Red said:

All the content is factual with no adverts 

I don't mean to be pedantic but there is literally an advert on the inside cover

Again, I really don't want to appear to be negative as it is a fantastic effort from those involved to put the publication together

It will be interesting to see how sales compare over the next few games, personally I stopped buying one many seasons ago, but bought a copy on Saturday, more out of curiosity really. Interesting you mention the perceived age bracket of buyers because one thing that was very noticeable was that it was aimed at the "older" fan and nothing for a younger reader (unless they like history etc)

The point above about getting opposition supporters to contribute is interesting and probably would work

Ultimately I believe you have to get more ads and work on getting the price down, you do make a good point about increases everywhere, but sponsorship can easily rectify this, I personally wouldn't be paying more that £3 on a regular basis

One massive plus point was the ability to pay by contactless payment

Keep up the great work

I'd be really intrigued to see what the clubs stance would be over producing a programme if we draw someone like Liverpool or Arsenal in the quarter finals of the FA Cup?

Something tells me that in the interests of fleecing us making a quick buck, they'd be all over producing a programme charging a tenner a pop!

5 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I'd be really intrigued to see what the clubs stance would be over producing a programme if we draw someone like Liverpool or Arsenal in the quarter finals of the FA Cup?

Something tells me that in the interests of fleecing us making a quick buck, they'd be all over producing a programme charging a tenner a pop!

Of course they will! 

They'll ramp up production and charge a premium for it. 

I personally think the issue that is being missed is the design of the programme...

Firstly want to say that I think it's great that people have come together to make this for the fans... commend everyone involved.. and I'm still annoyed that the club have taken the programme away from us. Understand that money always wins but also feel that piece by piece the match day experience (nation wide not just city) is being slowly stripped away. Having a programme to read at half time and to keep in a box at home to look at in the future was great and I always make sure to get one on away days.

but on the design of the programme... and like someone previously mentioned, this is not to be rude about something that I rate whole heartedly... but I do feel it all just looks very amateur.

It may seem like a nothing comment but ultimately (even subconsciously) people wont pay for something that doesn't look like it's of the quality it was advertised or for the price of £4. Sort of feel that saying that it was 'championship level' was a misguided move as it has opened the door for these comments. Pictures inside are blurry as have been stretched to fit, text doesn't have any margins and flows over more of the page that it should. All in all the design in not of the level it was advertised, it looks fan made (which of course it is and this is not what i'm saying) but if you say its professional level quality... it needs to be... just don't pretend its something it's not. (Respectfully!!) From a graphic design point of view I just think it needs a rethink.

• Like 3