IGNORED

Pearson Interview

bcfctim

I always liked him from that sort of interview. He's clearly an interesting, thoughtful and intelligent man.

I've never enjoyed his spiky press conferences, though. I understand his frustration at some of the stupid questions, but I've felt he was a bit disrespectful towards journalists sometimes. It's good to know which people to have time for and which not, but everyone deserves to be treated with a certain level of respect.

I also felt there was a long period of time where there was little or no progress on show. Right up until this calendar year it was pretty hard to see anything concrete. Some would argue that there was a lot being sorted out behind the scenes, and I was prepared to believe that, but equally there was nothing to show it, which is often the way with these things. Fortunately, it does look like those who believed him and believed in him are being proved right. Things are genuinely moving forward now, and Pearson seems much happier for it. Perhaps it won't last, but right now it looks like, despite a few rough moments, a good man is doing a good job. I can probably admit I was wrong in my previous judgement of him.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I always liked him from that sort of interview. He's clearly an interesting, thoughtful and intelligent man.

I've never enjoyed his spiky press conferences, though. I understand his frustration at some of the stupid questions, but I've felt he was a bit disrespectful towards journalists sometimes. It's good to know which people to have time for and which not, but everyone deserves to be treated with a certain level of respect.

I also felt there was a long period of time where there was little or no progress on show. Right up until this calendar year it was pretty hard to see anything concrete. Some would argue that there was a lot being sorted out behind the scenes, and I was prepared to believe that, but equally there was nothing to show it, which is often the way with these things. Fortunately, it does look like those who believed him and believed in him are being proved right. Things are genuinely moving forward now, and Pearson seems much happier for it. Perhaps it won't last, but right now it looks like, despite a few rough moments, a good man is doing a good job. I can probably admit I was wrong in my previous judgement of him.

I think this is the season we can start to see whether we were right or not. Big season ahead for NP, and because of the nature of football fans and not wanting to be proven wrong, there will still be an element who will jump on every single Bad result as proof he’s no good.

• Like 2

Pearson (and staff) has done a good job in challenging circumstances, and I will always give him that credit. I enjoy his woodland purchase and his Alex Scott mug, those are delightful details that warm the cockles of my otherwise frigid heart. But. He's yet to prove his true credentials from an even keel, and this is the season where he attempts to do that.

So.

It's weird to read some people giving him what I perceive as future credit on the seemingly thin basis of saying the right thing with the right language, not being 5'6", and drinking beer - not wine - in a pub that people know. That is, he's not a Johnson. Maybe that's my perception, maybe I'm way off, maybe people justify their brown nose in other ways, but it feels like for some "Nige" is the right kind of manager without having proven himself as the right manager for promotion.*

I wish him success, I hope he gets promotion, I've said elsewhere that I expect him to get a top ten finish and, with luck, maybe we go top 6.

But...let's try and stop the smoke from going too far up his arse just yet. 

*That doesn't mean he's not been the right manager for the last two years btw.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

36 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

What an absolutely brilliant read and insight…….so want him to succeed with us….we are very lucky to have him.

Come on City, let’s “crack the code” this season 

Nige is the first proper manager in 30+ years. A real leader and a straight talker. He says it as it is and never accepts credit for winning a match, unlike many previous managers. He shares the credit amongst everyone - everyone is included.

He’s the opposite when City lose a game. Holds his hand up and absorbs any  flak. A quality that all good leaders have.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pearson (and staff) has done a good job in challenging circumstances, and I will always give him that credit. I enjoy his woodland purchase and his Alex Scott mug, those are delightful details that warm the cockles of my otherwise frigid heart. But. He's yet to prove his true credentials from an even keel, and this is the season where he attempts to do that.

So.

It's weird to read some people giving him what I perceive as future credit on the seemingly thin basis of saying the right thing with the right language, not being 5'6", and drinking beer - not wine - in a pub that people know. That is, he's not a Johnson. Maybe that's my perception, maybe I'm way off, maybe people justify their brown nose in other ways, but it feels like for some "Nige" is the right kind of manager without having proven himself as the right manager for promotion.*

I wish him success, I hope he gets promotion, I've said elsewhere that I expect him to get a top ten finish and, with luck, maybe we go top 6.

I agree with what you're saying here. As much as I admire the job he's done thus far, I wouldn't say Nige has "credit in the bank" as far as I'm concerned. On the contrary, I still think last season, we probably under-achieved a little in terms of league position. 

This season is going to be Nige's toughest challenge at City yet because there is expectation. If we get off to a bad start, then make no mistake, his job will very much be on the line. 

I still have nagging doubts about his tactical acumen & ability to affect games. I sincerely hope I am wrong, and we have a great season. But I think any flirtation with the bottom six again, and he won't survive this time around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Nige is the first proper manager in 30+ years. A real leader and a straight talker. He says it as it is and never accepts credit for winning a match, unlike many previous managers. He shares the credit amongst everyone - everyone is included.

He’s the opposite when City lose a game. Holds his hand up and absorbs any  flak. A quality that all good leaders have.

The first proper manager in 30+ years?

Danny Wilson (2000-2004) is going to be annoyed at this volte face…

IMG_1007.jpeg

IMG_1006.jpeg

IMG_1005.jpeg

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree with what you're saying here. As much as I admire the job he's done thus far, I wouldn't say Nige has "credit in the bank" as far as I'm concerned. On the contrary, I still think last season, we probably under-achieved a little in terms of league position. 

This season is going to be Nige's toughest challenge at City yet because there is expectation. If we get off to a bad start, then make no mistake, his job will very much be on the line. 

I still have nagging doubts about his tactical acumen & ability to affect games. I sincerely hope I am wrong, and we have a great season. But I think any flirtation with the bottom six again, and he won't survive this time around. 

I'm a little more convinced by Nige than you are, albeit I don't drool over his every word like some appear to (and they are perfectly entitled to do so if they feel the love!)

Nige actually mentioned expectation levels right at the start of his City interview the other day, and we saw on the OTIB poll that over 90% of us lot expect top half.

You'd think that anywhere from 14th and down would be a disappointment, and there would have to be some pretty conclusive extenuating circumstances to appease fans.

I'm pretty confident that we'll manage top half this season and will do so playing some decent stuff. Nige inherited some decent homegrown talent and I expect Conway, Bell and Pring to have good seasons.

I don't think the season will be plain sailing though!

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

So.

He's got credit in my opinion because not many other managers would have kept us up. He did so with ease despite the difficult circumstances. 

He's rebuilt the club from top to bottom that will bare fruit for years to come (just like Leicester)

He's brought through a lot of academy players that have or will contribute towards our performances and which will see us profit from in the future.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm a little more convinced by Nige than you are, albeit I don't drool over his every word like some appear to (and they are perfectly entitled to do so if they feel the love!)

Nige actually mentioned expectation levels right at the start of his City interview the other day, and we saw on the OTIB poll that over 90% of us lot expect top half.

You'd think that anywhere from 14th and down would be a disappointment, and there would have to be some pretty conclusive extenuating circumstances to appease fans.

I'm pretty confident that we'll manage top half this season and will do so playing some decent stuff. Nige inherited some decent homegrown talent and I expect Conway, Bell and Pring to have good seasons.

I don't think the season will be plain sailing though!

I think a top half finish is almost a minimal requirement, after 14th last season. 

Remember Nige's contract situation too (expires next summer), he cannot afford a slow start - especially with favourable opening fixtures. 

In order for the Lansdowns to keep faith in him, he needs a good start and for us to be well clear of any relegation concerns by Christmas. 

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think a top half finish is almost a minimal requirement, after 14th last season. 

Remember Nige's contract situation too (expires next summer), he cannot afford a slow start - especially with favourable opening fixtures. 

In order for the Lansdowns to keep faith in him, he needs a good start and for us to be well clear of any relegation concerns by Christmas. 

Just my thoughts. 

That all goes without saying Kid.

The most crucial factor will be for SL to see how much progress Nige has made in developing a squad combined of youth and experience that gets positive results - SLs original strategy that arose 6 or 7 seasons ago.

LJ failed as did Holden and SC before them.

Nige now has all the players necessary and hopefully this will become a successful season.

I think a lot of the high praise on this thread comes from fans seeing a deep thinking, straight talking manager who has started to transform the whole club rather than short term sticking plasters.

NP come in and picked up an absolute mess, with no money to spend and players he needed to remove due to either financial or they were determental to a positive culture.

Whilst some may try to say yes he has been lucky to have good youngsters, but it is NP who has surrounded them by the right type of senior players and given then a chance, not just farmed off on loan.

If we are successful or not this year, the whole club appears to pulling in the right direction and set up for future success. I really hope we have it under NP's reign.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

14 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I think a lot of the high praise on this thread comes from fans seeing a deep thinking, straight talking manager who has started to transform the whole club rather than short term sticking plasters.

NP come in and picked up an absolute mess, with no money to spend and players he needed to remove due to either financial or they were determental to a positive culture.

Whilst some may try to say yes he has been lucky to have good youngsters, but it is NP who has surrounded them by the right type of senior players and given then a chance, not just farmed off on loan.

If we are successful or not this year, the whole club appears to pulling in the right direction and set up for future success. I really hope we have it under NP's reign.

Completely agree with this statement, the way NP has kept us comfortably(give or take) in this division with all the constraints he's had, is testament to him. I remember equally bad squads under McInnes and O'Driscoll where we went down with a whimper. 

One of my concerns that I keep reading, is that NP has set the foundations up for future success, but it only needs the wrong kind of manager to get appointed once again, them go on a spending spree and lumber us with not very good players on 3 or 4 year contracts.

The next managerial position is key for me. I'd like to see NP have his contract extended, and then a succession plan put in place for his eventual successor. Maybe a gradual handover of responsibilities to Andy King or Jason Euell or Curis Fleming, whilst NP grooms them for the job in hand.

Edited by beaverface
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just my thoughts. 

Totally agree, I think Pearson knows that as well. This could be his last season managing.

He’s putting that pressure on himself and the players. I like that.

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Imagine he’d taken over a club on sound financial footing and a decent bunch of pros!

Just my view, but this isn’t a squad he’d have built had the above been in place, it is still full of compromises in certain areas…but it’s getting there.  It is his squad though…but that’s different to what it could’ve been.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, beaverface said:

The next managerial position is key for me. I'd like to see NP have his contract extended, and then a succession plan put in place for his eventual successor. Maybe a gradual handover of responsibilities to Andy King or Jason Euell or Curis Fleming, whilst NP grooms them for the job in hand.

It's definitely more appropriate to appoint a wonderful human being from within when they've actually had the opportunity to learn from someone with 25 years of managerial experience rather than 2.5.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

11 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Pearson is a gem, and a bit of guru.

We are very fortunate to have him at the helm 

So many clubs are engrossed with changing managers....... and getting nowhere.

We, on the other hand, have a manager that is quietly and very thoughtfully changing our club.

Things are looking good.

“Cheers Nige” ?

On 03/08/2023 at 09:30, MarcusX said:

I love the bloke and think we're so lucky to have him here. I wanted him to replace Johnson

I think it's easy for outsiders (and some fellow fans) to look at league positions and think not much has changed, but the few games I went to last year were some of the best City games I've seen since the Playoff Season and the Cup run season. Even the games we lost (Norwich) or threw away late on (Blackpool) were entertaining games and I felt it was worth the money.

I wanted him to replace SC!  There was a game live on sky I think and they showed that NP was in the crowd and I think coming in then with that strong of players would have been great

• Like 1

On 03/08/2023 at 14:43, BCFC_Dan said:

Think it depends - some journalists (few of them more-so now) have integrity, ask the right questions in depth. Stuart James, Winter, Piercy, etc. Who actually know how to interview someone.
Most media and interviewers are now just frauds looking for content to generate clicks and revenue, unfortunately.

As for the bit in bold - I think it depends in what context you view it. For some, like myself - I wasn't much appeased by how 21-22 went overall. However, nothing was going to happen 20-21 due to the contract situation and the circus around MA with multiple players (too many of them I'd add) not playing and on bigger contracts.

As he addressed in the interview above; its all well and good informing players they're no longer required unless you are able to actually move them on. Culture is one of those overlooked aspects that can require a breaking of club hierarchy to sort - compare and contrast Matt Mills to Kasper Schmeichel's opinions on NP. It's literally taken this long to get a point where we can firmly say this is a 'Pearson' squad. Instead of having the caveat of overpaid shysters from the MA era.

• Like 2

Irs interesting to see how underrated or misunderstood NP is by fans of other clubs.

Dinosaur, cantankerous etc I'm sure are views that would come up. How wrong they are but undoubtedly seems to be underrated by many fans of other clubs- or overlooked maybe a better term.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

On 03/08/2023 at 14:43, BCFC_Dan said:

The thing with NP, he is a realist. He doesn’t over promise, he doesn’t make excuses, he says it as he sees it which in todays media frenzy around sound bites and headline searching journos it’s not interesting or of any interest 

Being frank and to the point isn’t in fashion but personally I prefer NP and his interviews to the management speak and waffle juice that we were being fed from LJ & MA 

• Like 2