IGNORED

Pearson Interview

bcfctim

Think many of us around a similar age, same interests -even down to owning a woodland, comparable people and task management experiences (all be it in a different realm), similar home set up, can fully relate to Nige’s way of thinking. 

The similarities don’t end there, I too have optimism about the new season.

Think Nige has crafted a totally new Club culture in a comparatively short space of time. We have identity, and a strong one at that. How long have some of us being calling for that! This new ‘identity’ will provide a platform for our future success, whether this season or next. If flipping Luton can do it, so can we. 

COYRs.

• Like 7

Wonder why this got mentioned in conversation ? ?? Quote...

By Pearson’s own admission, he has changed as a manager over time, if not as a person. He has not gone soft — there are still things (“blaggers” in particular) that get his “bullshit sensor pinging”.

• Haha 8

I believe in him. He has turned us from an eternal West Country holiday camp to a Football Club in less than three years.

Not by trying to buy our way to success but by his management and concern for the people who matter; the playing staff, the coaches, the ground staff and many others including the eternal tea lady.

He manages by making everyone responsible for their own contribution to Bristol City. 

I could try to compare him with many great managers but I'll mention only two. (*)

Bill Shankly who changed a floundering Second Division Liverpool into a club that existed, for the people of that city instead of themselves.

Alan Dicks, with no disrespect to any other City manager, because he built us, without vast sums of money, into a First Division club. (I know it all went pear shaped in 1980-82 but he got us up there first.)

I've always been a person who usually believes in failure instead of success. Not a total pessimist but nowhere near boundless optimism. I may well be proved wrong, there I go again, but this season could become the greatest in our history.

(*) No disrespect to the great Terry Cooper.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I believe in him. He has turned us from an eternal West Country holiday camp to a Football Club in less than three years.

Not by trying to buy our way to success but by his management and concern for the people who matter; the playing staff, the coaches, the ground staff and many others including the eternal tea lady.

He manages by making everyone responsible for their own contribution to Bristol City. 

I could try to compare him with many great managers but I'll mention only two. 

Bill Shankly who changed a floundering Second Division Liverpool into a club that existed, for the people of that city instead of themselves.

Alan Dicks, with no disrespect to any other City manager, because he built us, without vast sums of money, into a First Division club. (I know it all went pear shaped in 1980-82 but he got us up there first.)

I've always been a person who usually believes in failure instead of success. Not a total pessimist but nowhere near boundless optimism. I may well be proved wrong, there I go again, but this season could become the greatest in our history.

Stop it. Because by 5pm you just know we are going to come back to earth with a bang ?

I agree with every word. He’s just added professionalism which I think has been missing from this club for quite some time. 
If only he could take charge of things off the pitch and I reckon we’d be in Europe ( in 5 years ?)

• Thanks 1

I think that the reference to being a manager rather than a head coach is interesting. Most teams probably employ the latter as short term appointments (which realistically most turn out to be) and are purely about getting a team to get results asap. I suspect in years to come and irrespective of whether Pearsons team is successful or not people will look back at his tenure as a transformational period for the club where being a manager had a great effect on the future of the club. Arguably his last stay at Leicester could be so described. The time will come where we once again need more of a head coach than a manager because the hard part of managing will have been done.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Where's the pub? Like the sound of it

It used to be my local. I lived for about 10 years very nearby the pub. It’s in the middle of nowhere.

I know all about the cows on their way to and from pasture. Usually 9:15am out and 3:15pm back walked right past my house - you can’t get past them and they certainly don’t hurry!

Thats an excellent interview btw - I can’t think of any other City manager who’d have come across so well.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wonder why this got mentioned in conversation ? ?? Quote...

By Pearson’s own admission, he has changed as a manager over time, if not as a person. He has not gone soft — there are still things (“blaggers” in particular) that get his “bullshit sensor pinging”.

Struth, the pinging must have broken the sound barrier in the first couple of months with MA about!

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I think that the reference to being a manager rather than a head coach is interesting. Most teams probably employ the latter as short term appointments (which realistically most turn out to be) and are purely about getting a team to get results asap. I suspect in years to come and irrespective of whether Pearsons team is successful or not people will look back at his tenure as a transformational period for the club where being a manager had a great effect on the future of the club. Arguably his last stay at Leicester could be so described. The time will come where we once again need more of a head coach than a manager because the hard part of managing will have been done.

I think that comes with age and experience. 

Good man management like he says, you need to observe and watch, be viseable, but not always talking. 

When you do talk...as he says...you need clarity. If you are constantly talking, people get bored and your message gets diluted. 

When you do talk...people will know it's important, and will listen. You talk when you need to...not just for the sake of it. 

I made a joke on another thread inferring to how two former players would imo, struggled to have understood LJs coaching talk and methods.

It's like chalk and cheese. 

This is why it's mentioned often that the players now have a clear plan on what they need to do and what's expected. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love the bloke and think we're so lucky to have him here. I wanted him to replace Johnson

I think it's easy for outsiders (and some fellow fans) to look at league positions and think not much has changed, but the few games I went to last year were some of the best City games I've seen since the Playoff Season and the Cup run season. Even the games we lost (Norwich) or threw away late on (Blackpool) were entertaining games and I felt it was worth the money.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed reading the article. I hope the club offer him a new deal and he accepts it. One of my favourite city managers 

Yep. Some people deserve success.

That’s not how the World works, but I genuinely hope not just for the Club, Steve et al, but for Nigel himself he gets promotion and the plaudits for having taken a backwater Club that was pretty much on its knees into something special. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It used to be my local. I lived for about 10 years very nearby the pub. It’s in the middle of nowhere.

I know all about the cows on their way to and from pasture. Usually 9:15am out and 3:15pm back walked right past my house - you can’t get past them and they certainly don’t hurry!

Thats an excellent interview btw - I can’t think of any other City manager who’d have come across so well.

Well done for not sharing the name. Probably not wise to highlight exactly where our manager lives….never know who is reading this! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

The Blue Flame I think. Not certain though. 

I thought exactly the same, and know the lanes extremely well after cycling round them for years. 

Great interview, that, and it reinforces my opinion that we are in excellent hands.

He deserves success for keeping us in the second tier while rebuilding from the ground up following the shit storm he walked into.

Whether he gets it or not, time will tell. But we are in such a better place because him IMO. Exactly what we needed after Holden and LJ.

Edited by tin
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

You'd think he'd have loved the barn back in the day... such a shame that it closed.

Yeah it was a pity that it closed, lots of ownership issues at the time.

I’m sure Nige would have enjoyed the Barn - a very different pub to more regular ones. He’d have had to drive there tho.

I much better read than yesterday’s watch (of the club interview).

I really like the differences from typical football people who give it the “it’s a 24/7 job….” as a badge of honour.  I’d suggest switching off is a better way of being objective about things than being in the thick of it all the time.

• Like 8