IGNORED

Life Without Alex Scott

20 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

i gave an opinion on cornick i genuinely don't think he is any good. you gave an opnion but then started talking about hate which was a deliberate attempt at agitation.In your last post you used the word wankery more agitation! No need of it. you are the one provoking not me.

Saying that a poster obviously knows nothing about football is certainly provoking 

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Realistically, Alex Scott is a generational talent and we won't unearth one like him for a very long time. 

I do fancy one, if not both, of Bell and Conway to be big players for us though and to also be sold for big money. 

We also seem to have some good defenders coming up as well so still an exciting future when Scott moves on.

Why is it that every time the prospect of a "Big" player coming up through the ranks is mentioned..............the VERY first thing that is alluded to is "To be sold for big money"   I am a pragmatist, and i am fully aware of how certain clubs operate .  But FFS can we not enjoy the talent? Instead of looking at the balance sheet?   If we could have retained just 50% of the blank cheque players that have moved on.........then maybe we wouldn't be stuck in the morass of mid table obscurity!?  And WHY is it an "exciting future" when Scott moves on?  Surely it's pheckin depressing, not spine-tingling ?     You have the precise mindset of what is intrinsically wrong at the root of this football club   ?       Ha!!

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Why is it that every time the prospect of a "Big" player coming up through the ranks is mentioned..............the VERY first thing that is alluded to is "To be sold for big money"   I am a pragmatist, and i am fully aware of how certain clubs operate .  But FFS can we not enjoy the talent? Instead of looking at the balance sheet?   If we could have retained just 50% of the blank cheque players that have moved on.........then maybe we wouldn't be stuck in the morass of mid table obscurity!?  And WHY is it an exciting future when Scott moves on?  You have the precise mindset of what is intrinsically wrong at the root of this football club   ?       Ha!!

The other question is can we persuade them to extend or indeed at what point can we risk losing on a free?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Why is it that every time the prospect of a "Big" player coming up through the ranks is mentioned..............the VERY first thing that is alluded to is "To be sold for big money"   I am a pragmatist, and i am fully aware of how certain clubs operate .  But FFS can we not enjoy the talent? Instead of looking at the balance sheet?   If we could have retained just 50% of the blank cheque players that have moved on.........then maybe we wouldn't be stuck in the morass of mid table obscurity!?  And WHY is it an exciting future when Scott moves on?  You have the precise mindset of what is intrinsically wrong at the root of this football club   ?       Ha!!

"You have the precise mindset of what is intrinsically wrong at the root of this football club" 

Sweet talking will get you nowhere ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Cornick - if playing and in this formation - has to be in the middle of the front 3. As you say he doesn’t have the pace or the ability to play wider 

For me he is third choice behind Conway and Wells 

My long held view (since we move to this form of front three - when Semenyo left) is that one of the wide forwards has to play narrower / closer to the middle man.

e.g.

image.png.5d3c78cc942401382082134bd3d418f3.png

Just viewed Alex Scott's first interview at AFCB. I'm very pleased he's got his move but just looking at the presentation from AFCB it just looks totally tinpot. The state of football as it is today when you loose your best player to a club like that. Astonishing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Swede said:

Just viewed Alex Scott's first interview at AFCB. I'm very pleased he's got his move but just looking at the presentation from AFCB it just looks totally tinpot. The state of football as it is today when you loose your best player to a club like that. Astonishing.

He will have playing in front of gates of barely 11 k to look forward too aswell in a tin pot little stadium..

All irrelevant nowadays anyway, all about the £. As you said astonishing but here we are.

Edited by Bris Red

12 hours ago, Bris Red said:

He will have playing in front of gates of barely 11 k to look forward too aswell in a tin pot little stadium..

All irrelevant nowadays anyway, all about the £. As you said astonishing but here we are.

Bournemouth have been exploring moving from Dene Court from well before their rise to PL but to say the borough council has been unhelpful is the understatement of the century.  Given that the Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole connurbation has a population of more than 400K it is an area that would well be able to support a PL club, but as it stands, it's a typical example of a club that's been expanded too fast for its infrastructure to cope.  

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bournemouth have been exploring moving from Dene Court from well before their rise to PL but to say the borough council has been unhelpful is the understatement of the century.  Given that the Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole connurbation has a population of more than 400K it is an area that would well be able to support a PL club, but as it stands, it's a typical example of a club that's been expanded too fast for its infrastructure to cope.  

And yet another club that has demonstrated how unacceptable it is we have had one promotion attempt to the Prem in 30 years and that came after 9seasons in League 1 under Wilson and Tinnion! We are a feeder club for Fulham and Bournemouth and anyone with working eyes that doesn’t see it is delusional 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

And yet another club that has demonstrated how unacceptable it is we have had one promotion attempt to the Prem in 30 years and that came after 9seasons in League 1 under Wilson and Tinnion! We are a feeder club for Fulham and Bournemouth and anyone with working eyes that doesn’t see it is delusional 

They broke FFP rules to go up, then Parachute Payments and PL cash and I suppose some good decisions among all the cash helped to underpin.

If Parachute Payments didn't exist and the current financial rules did they would have sunk somewhat, same with a number of others but Bournemouth a prime candidate.

Fulham rose in a pre FFP world, Al Fayed etc. Khan appears to be even richer. PL cash, Parachute Payments and being West London all helps.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They broke FFP rules to go up, then Parachute Payments and PL cash and I suppose some good decisions among all the cash helped to underpin.

If Parachute Payments didn't exist and the current financial rules did they would have sunk somewhat, same with a number of others but Bournemouth a prime candidate.

Fulham rose in a pre FFP world, Al Fayed etc. Khan appears to be even richer. PL cash, Parachute Payments and being West London all helps.

What about Wigan, Blackpool, Luton , Brentford, Cardiff,Swansea, Burnley I’m sure I’m missing a few ? it’s ridiculous and let’s not beat around the bush it is predominantly down to selling our best players when we have momentum going in the last year of their contract all the way back to Scott Murray in 02-03 , Lita in 04-05 we would have shipped Brooker off if he didn’t have dodgy Knees ! When ever we get a team going the main man is taken out smaller clubs than us simply don’t allow it!

After 17/18 we lost Bryan, Flint , Reid we didn’t have to lose Bobby Reid I think if we kept him that next season we would have made the playoffs ?‍♂️ ambition 

Edited by Fred89

52 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

What about Wigan, Blackpool, Luton , Brentford, Cardiff,Swansea, Burnley I’m sure I’m missing a few ? it’s ridiculous and let’s not beat around the bush it is predominantly down to selling our best players when we have momentum going in the last year of their contract all the way back to Scott Murray in 02-03 , Lita in 04-05 we would have shipped Brooker off if he didn’t have dodgy Knees ! When ever we get a team going the main man is taken out smaller clubs than us simply don’t allow it!

After 17/18 we lost Bryan, Flint , Reid we didn’t have to lose Bobby Reid I think if we kept him that next season we would have made the playoffs ?‍♂️ ambition 

I don't want to bog down this thread with finances but I suspect following your path in 2018-19, we could have failed FFP and been subject to sanctions, monitoring or both. The rules changed by 2018-19.

We may have kept ,stayed down, lost some.on a free and been utterly hamstrung financially 

Brentford sold a shed load of players, also had a clever model. Blackpool clearly recruited well and hit the crest of a wave, Wigan spent their way up to some extent, see also Reading- these two pre FFP.

Swansea had a clever model and better infrastructure than us at that time, Luton lost their star player to us on a free, Burnley unlike us actually capitalised on their Cup run in 2008-09 and won the playoffs off the back of it. Bolstered in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th promotion by PL and Parachute money as well.

Cardiff spent, wwre bolstered by Parachute money in subsequent years. They just got up in 2017-18 like Fulham in the final year of Parachute Payments. They lasted up to 4 years then albeit reducing over time.

If we made a strategic error a big one it was not spending bigger in Janaury 2008.

Not selling Reid, his contract was up in 2019. Had we lost him on a free the only way that would have been worthwhile financially would have been promotion.

Of course the flipside is may have spent less had we kept and in all honesty we would have had to. May not have been a terrible thing but you are only looking at it from one side of the argument.

I suppose we could have kept similar spending plans had we kept Reid and indeed moved Kelly sale into 2019-20.

44 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

In all fairness Bobby Reid had criticism from quite a number on here [not me by the way, I've always rated him], when he hit twenty goals that was his ticket to the Premier League. He wanted to go. It wasn't a case of keeping him.

• Like 2

Imagine calling Bournemouth tinpot yet they offer premier league football, ground may not hold many but wouldn’t you rather play Man City midweek than Rotherham? Most people here said Semenyo can’t score yet scored against Liverpool at the weekend… we def have the facilities, the ground ready but we are yet to reach those heights, we lost to Birmingham and by all accounts we are going down, who’s the real tinpot team here?

17 minutes ago, Swede said:

In all fairness Bobby Reid had criticism from quite a number on here [not me by the way, I've always rated him], when he hit twenty goals that was his ticket to the Premier League. He wanted to go. It wasn't a case of keeping him.

This.

The season before he became a forward, loads of people were suggesting he was a waste of a wage, been on the fringes for what felt like donkeys years, never finding a starting spot easy to come by and it would free up space for someone who might play.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Swede said:

I mean we assume this but do you actually picture if we say to these players, give us one more year they won’t or until January and we make you available they will refuse to play? I don’t think we even asked the question, I think we opened the door for them that’s what irritates me!

”the club won’t stand in their way if a big offer comes in “ is the mantra of this club and will always be our downfall until we say no we developed you you had one good season give us another!

We actually did it with Maynard under Millen who was a terrible manager i feel that occasion is what puts Lansdown off keeping our talent to ourselves 

Edited by Fred89

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't want to bog down this thread with finances but I suspect following your path in 2018-19, we could have failed FFP and been subject to sanctions, monitoring or both. The rules changed by 2018-19.

We may have kept ,stayed down, lost some.on a free and been utterly hamstrung financially 

Brentford sold a shed load of players, also had a clever model. Blackpool clearly recruited well and hit the crest of a wave, Wigan spent their way up to some extent, see also Reading- these two pre FFP.

Swansea had a clever model and better infrastructure than us at that time, Luton lost their star player to us on a free, Burnley unlike us actually capitalised on their Cup run in 2008-09 and won the playoffs off the back of it. Bolstered in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th promotion by PL and Parachute money as well.

Cardiff spent, wwre bolstered by Parachute money in subsequent years. They just got up in 2017-18 like Fulham in the final year of Parachute Payments. They lasted up to 4 years then albeit reducing over time.

If we made a strategic error a big one it was not spending bigger in Janaury 2008.

Not selling Reid, his contract was up in 2019. Had we lost him on a free the only way that would have been worthwhile financially would have been promotion.

Of course the flipside is may have spent less had we kept and in all honesty we would have had to. May not have been a terrible thing but you are only looking at it from one side of the argument.

I suppose we could have kept similar spending plans had we kept Reid and indeed moved Kelly sale into 2019-20.

Well imo they kept their best players and had another tilt the following year as something built ! Blackpool signed Charlie Adam from Rangers after he kept them up in the Championship could have sold him that January as they were not in the Playoffs at that time they came in late to the top 6 the year they went up , they gambled, why could we not keep Scott until January see where we were ? Wheres the gamble the ambition? We can see our midfield needs him but we sell completely destroyed what we built in terms of style of play 

Edited by Fred89

2 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

Well imo they kept their best players and had another tilt the following year as something built ! Blackpool signed Charlie Adam from Rangers after he kept them up in the Championship could have sold him that January as they were not in the Playoffs at that time they came in late to the top 6 the year they went up , they gambled, why could we not keep Scott until January see where we were ? Wheres the gamble the ambition? We can see our midfield needs him but we sell completely destroyed what we built in terms of style of play 

I was pro keeping Scott if at all possible tbh, maybe although given he seems to be reportedly out for some months who knows. Would we have risked his attitude turning had the move been turned down too? He is a great pro but never say never in football.

Naismith coming back will help with some control but we definitely need a ball carrying, creative type. How exactly you replace Scott directly is it possible on our budget?

• Like 1

You have to factor into it the player and his agent as well. That has just as big bearing on matters. Paradoxically, the longer we are away from the Premier League the more this will happen.

An example would be WBA or a Norwich. Before the season starts they could easily have a fantastic season and get promotion because they've been there recently. That is a good argument for keeping talented players.

The fact that the last time we were in the top tier there were only 5 TV channels and flairs were the norm tells anybody that it would take a monumental change in fortunes to get there. We must be one of only a handful of clubs in the Championship never to play in the Premier League. Is that down to a lack of ambition from the club/ manager or coach or just bad luck?

Up until the ground redevelopment we were one of the few clubs without hospitality boxes so we are slowly turning the tide it seems but I do wonder whether its a cautious lack of ambition at times that is holding us back.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Swede said:

You have to factor into it the player and his agent as well. That has just as big bearing on matters. Paradoxically, the longer we are away from the Premier League the more this will happen.

An example would be WBA or a Norwich. Before the season starts they could easily have a fantastic season and get promotion because they've been there recently. That is a good argument for keeping talented players.

The fact that the last time we were in the top tier there were only 5 TV channels and flairs were the norm tells anybody that it would take a monumental change in fortunes to get there. We must be one of only a handful of clubs in the Championship never to play in the Premier League. Is that down to a lack of ambition from the club/ manager or coach or just bad luck?

Up until the ground redevelopment we were one of the few clubs without hospitality boxes so we are slowly turning the tide it seems but I do wonder whether its a cautious lack of ambition at times that is holding us back.

It’s down to two decades of unambitious  ownership IMHO. Look back to 07/08, top at Christmas in a pre-FFP era and crying out for a goalscorer and he didn’t gamble. Cotts’ double-winning team of 15/16 had the nucleus of a competitive squad, deals were agreed for Maguire and Gray only for him to pull the plug while Cotts was on holiday. And now, eight years on, we’re free of FFP and have some cash to spent yet he still keeps a tight reign on the purse strings. I could understand that if it was a consistent strategy over 20+ years, but LJ’s spending spree flies in the face of that. The buck stops with SL.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Essentially the polar opposite of us, a club whose infrastructure has expanded too fast for its team to cope. ?

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, tin said:

It’s down to two decades of unambitious  ownership IMHO. Look back to 07/08, top at Christmas in a pre-FFP era and crying out for a goalscorer and he didn’t gamble. Cotts’ double-winning team of 15/16 had the nucleus of a competitive squad, deals were agreed for Maguire and Gray only for him to pull the plug while Cotts was on holiday. And now, eight years on, we’re free of FFP and have some cash to spent yet he still keeps a tight reign on the purse strings. I could understand that if it was a consistent strategy over 20+ years, but LJ’s spending spree flies in the face of that. The buck stops with SL.

I understood that Gray turned us down.

1 hour ago, tin said:

I agree on the first, the second Cotts had he been a big more patient for one season, a bit more balanced in his approach then I hope he would have reaped the benefits of the increased income from 2016-17 onwards. That one I'm conflicted on but he got less than he deserved.

Agree about a lack of consistent strategy.