IGNORED

Life Without Alex Scott

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I think we've got to give all the 2023 signings more time to impress, but Cornick definitely hasn't had an immediate impact.

I agree although I hoped Cornick would’ve improved with a full pre-season behind him and have reserved judgement until now and while I won’t write him off based on one game, he has to offer more than a long throw. Sykes should’ve started yesterday.

Mehmeti also should’ve had more than three minutes, otherwise what’s the point in signing a “maverick” if that’s all the time he gets in a game like yesterday that was crying out for a bit of magic? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Cornick is what you get when you sell , Semenyo, can’t wait to see who the club come up with to replace Scott.

With both Semenyo and Scott, we would have been a much better side than what we saw yesterday, a side that could challenge the top end of this league.

There were plenty of performances with both Semenyo and Scott in the team that were less than brilliant and those two  did absolutely nothing and the usual people on here slated the team and manager and suggested "it's gonna be a long hard seaon", perhaps one day you guys won't overreact  so much on one performance certainly not the first game of the season but that's probably a forlorn hope. QPR and Port Vale should forfeit the rest of their league fixtures because they're relegated already according to the OTIB forum or maybe there's not a team in the history of football who have  been outstanding in evey game they've played and most of us know that they'll be some bad performances this season like every other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Cornick is what you get when you sell , Semenyo, can’t wait to see who the club come up with to replace Scott.

With both Semenyo and Scott, we would have been a much better side than what we saw yesterday, a side that could challenge the top end of this league.

Yes and possibly facing a points deduction for failing FFP rules.

The money from Semenyo has helped us get over FFP and allowed us to reinvest in the squad, what about this you just don't can't seem to acknowledge?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Mehmeti more of a Semenyo replacement no? Think we’re yet to see the best of him but I do think the competition has stepped Bell up a bit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

There were plenty of performances with both Semenyo and Scott in the team that were less than brilliant and those two  did absolutely nothing and the usual people on here slated the team and manager and suggested "it's gonna be a long hard seaon", perhaps one day you guys won't overreact  so much on one performance certainly not the first game of the season but that's probably a forlorn hope. QPR and Port Vale should forfeit the rest of their league fixtures because they're relegated already according to the OTIB forum or maybe there's not a team in the history of football who have  been outstanding in evey game they've played and most of us know that they'll be some bad performances this season like every other.

My eyes don't decieve me! Cornick can't even trap a ball! He is never going to come good!

• Like 1

Cornick is an interesting one, his Luton record suggests there is a player there but his best position is harder to pin-point.

Thought v Middlesbrough over Easter he was very decent but one swallow etc even if it was against one of the top sides in the division.

What is a bit of a puzzle for me is, the final third of last season really showed a progression in intent and playing style..this was a bit of a step back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M.D said:

Yes and possibly facing a points deduction for failing FFP rules.

The money from Semenyo has helped us get over FFP and allowed us to reinvest in the squad, what about this you just don't or can't seem to acknowledge?

3 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

My eyes don't decieve me! Cornick can't even trap a ball! He is never going to come good!

Is it just me?

Oftentimes, I get the impression Cornick doesn't want the ball delivered to him, but as soon as does get to him, he is eager just ot get rid of it.

Partly explains why Tanner struggled a bit in the first half yesterday. Cornick was not offering himself or looking to move into space where the ball could be delivere

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Mehmeti more of a Semenyo replacement no? Think we’re yet to see the best of him but I do think the competition has stepped Bell up a bit

You make a good point, but the principle is the same. Based on two players per position, Mehmeti competes with Bell on the left ( Cornick / Sykes on the right), Mehmeti is a young player from L1 , looking to make it at Championship level, Semenyo is looking to make it at the other end. So how has that made us better?

Sell Scott, we become mediocre, Uncle Steve gets a year off bailing us out, and we can all discuss who to flog off to the mighty Bournemouth & Boscombe next year.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Cornick is an interesting one, his Luton record suggests there is a player there but his best position is harder to pin-point.

Thought v Middlesbrough over Easter he was very decent but one swallow etc even if it was against one of the top sides in the division.

What is a bit of a puzzle for me is, the final third of last season really showed a progression in intent and playing style..this was a bit of a step back.

It's one game the first game of the season,If they win at Millwall next Saturday will that be a step forward. you cannot make a judgement over 1 or 2 games certainly at the start unless of course you're a Bristol City fan.

• Like 2

Very surprised to not see Tanner mentioned at all. He absolutely killed us yesterday. Cornick made a number of good runs, first half especially, and Tanner either wouldn’t pass at the right time, or at all, and just cut back and passed backwards. Both full backs were very poor but Tanner in particular looked like he never knew what to do which is off for him. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

You make a good point, but the principle is the same. Based on two players per position, Mehmeti competes with Bell on the left ( Cornick / Sykes on the right), Mehmeti is a young player from L1 , looking to make it at Championship level, Semenyo is looking to make it at the other end. So how has that made us better?

Sell Scott, we become mediocre, Uncle Steve gets a year off bailing us out, and we can all discuss who to flog off to the mighty Bournemouth & Boscombe next year.

You are expecting us to sell our best players and improve?  If we have to sell our best players because of financial fair play that is a big restriction that cannot just be ignored.  I’m not exactly sure what you are expecting we do without ignoring FFP

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Very surprised to not see Tanner mentioned at all. He absolutely killed us yesterday. Cornick made a number of good runs, first half especially, and Tanner either wouldn’t pass at the right time, or at all, and just cut back and passed backwards. Both full backs were very poor but Tanner in particular looked like he never knew what to do which is off for him. 

Agree, thought he was very poor.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You are expecting us to sell our best players and improve?  If we have to sell our best players because of financial fair play that is a big restriction that cannot just be ignored.  I’m not exactly sure what you are expecting we do without ignoring FFP

Basically Grey Fox does want us to ignore FFP. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If he changes his name to Bob,he will be worth 3 times more than what he is worth now! But there is only a 1 in 6 chance of that happening!

Edited by johnbytheriver
omitted a letter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

We had a better second half of the season which was without Semenyo? Very easy to forget he was a mile off it first half of the season until a few games before he left. Obviously we lose something with him but funny how no one has mentioned his “loss” till now

Batter Cornick all you like but there were worse performers than him yesterday. 

Tanner, Pring (second half) and Knight all had worse games then our resident flak taker. 

Hope we haven't paid 2m for another Kilkenny, thought Knight was really off it. Couldn't control the ball, lots of endeavour but really little quality. 

If Scott does magically stay my midfield three is still Naismith, Scott and James, none of the others come close to what these three can do together.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

It's one game the first game of the season,If they win at Millwall next Saturday will that be a step forward. you cannot make a judgement over 1 or 2 games certainly at the start unless of course you're a Bristol City fan.

I'd rather start off like we have instead of a flying start top of the league everyones expectations through the roof then we cock it up by Christmas. Iron out a few issues get the side settled then build momentum let's give it chance to tick.

• Like 1

To me there just seemed to be no links between both full backs and the players in front of them yesterday. No lung busting runs from Pring (that I can remember), and very poor interaction between Tanner and Cornick. I'm not gonna bash Cornick, (and trust Nige that he starts for reasons he knows best) but on the basis of what I've seen so far (since Jan) Sykes seems the better option.

Getting wide, with balls into the box was a big part of what we were good at last season. Didn't see much of that yesterday, but only one game gone. Still time to see the best of everyone yet...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

McCrorie bought in as a right back, seems like with the way we’re looking at getting Kalas back we think we’re a centre back short so I think Naismith would be used in midfield 

If we get the McCrorie at RB that I saw (fairly briefly) at Aberdeen, he likes to travel with the ball.  Tanner was our “outlet” yesterday, because Preston blocked off our left side.  He was very poor on the ball yesterday.  He starved Cornick.  But it will of course be all Cornick’s fault.  Was Cornick good?  No, but he wasn’t particularly bad either.

3 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I was surprised that Conway didn’t start but have to say that personally thought Wells was decent yesterday. As for Cornick, I so want him to succeed but he’s showing very little at this stage and Sykes for me every time. 

Out of interest, for all the Cornick bashing, I thought Sykes offered nigh on bugger-all when he came on.  One little exchange with Conway was about it.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

See above.

Pring was blocked off by Browne and Potts but was poor yesterday, looked heavy on his touch.  Often exposed by Bell though, who left him 1v1 / 2v1 far too often.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

.  But it will of course be all Cornick’s fault.  Was Cornick good?  No, but he wasn’t particularly bad either.

The trouble with Cornick isn't that he's particularly bad - but just that he's rarely notably good. He's had one excellent game for us in the seven months he's been here. Others range from 'OK, I suppose' to 'bang average' to poor. 

It isn't really fair either to compare Sykes's performance yesterday to him. Sykes got considerably less than half the time on the pitch that HC got and came into the game at a time when Preston were pressing hard for a goal and we could hardly move the ball out of our final third. 

• Like 2

Yesterdays subs were just like for like. Slightly surprised we didn’t change shape at all. It was pretty obvious from early on it wasn’t working and we managed to just get worse second half. I guess being in the lead made it difficult to do that. 

Do I rate Cornick? Not overly but was far from the worst yesterday. I do think McCorie will be straight in at right back. Offer us more height in the team. Can’t say I know to much about him going forward but he can’t be any worse than George was yesterday. 

Scott staying ( not going to happen I know)or a replacement is imperative as I think along with the full backs the midfield was the biggest issue. I thought James lacked his usual composure and we just didn’t have anyone to make something happen.

Just need to remind ourselves it’s still early days. See similar over the next few games then It will be time to ask some serious questions. 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

The trouble with Cornick isn't that he's particularly bad - but just that he's rarely notably good. He's had one excellent game for us in the seven months he's been here. Others range from 'OK, I suppose' to 'bang average' to poor. 

It isn't really fair either to compare Sykes's performance yesterday to him. Sykes got considerably less than half the time on the pitch that HC got and came into the game at a time when Preston were pressing hard for a goal and we could hardly move the ball out of our final third. 

I wasn’t comparing, just asking for opinion on his contribution.  We can judge him better when he starts.  But “we” often use one player to beat a stick against the other.

We (Tanner) need to play more quickly when Cornick is in front of him…or even drive into the space that Cornick creates.