IGNORED

Vyner

Super

1 hour ago, Super said:

I thought he was superb yesterday and he just continues to improve. Is he the next one clubs will be interested in? 26 years old plenty of experience. Also I'm surprised he hasn't been made captain.

Don't want him to be captain.  Keep him focused on doing his job as a defender. Being a captain you have other responsibilities that may divert his defensive duties. 

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

I thought he was superb yesterday and he just continues to improve. Is he the next one clubs will be interested in? 26 years old plenty of experience. Also I'm surprised he hasn't been made captain.

Captaincy doesn't suit everyone - and maybe he doesn't want to wear that particular armband.

However, yeah, agree with the rest. He was a rock. Thank goodness, because if it hadn't been for our centre backs and Preston's wayward shooting, we could've lost that one. 

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Absolutely, I thought he was excellent. Even added a marauding forward run to his repertoire.

Let's get him signed up to a new contract.

Him and Dickie were the picks yesterday.  In fact, although I said in another thread that Tanner was the “outlet” that was more first half.  Second half it was down the middle and the pair tried to get us going.

Yep, as I've mentioned in another thread, Zak was outstanding.

Commanding, calm and composed. The 3 C's are all you can ask from a CB.

Without him, we.would've been lucky to get the point.

As an aside, I though Dickie played well for a debut but Zak was immaculate throughout. Easily my MOM.

• Like 1

Hands up, I’m not his biggest fan..even with the plaudits he got last year something still bugged me…I feel his distribution/decision making isn’t good enough, but that’s just my opinion, and others have others…however, he played the game yesterday in a way I haven’t seen him before. He definitely saw more action on the left side of the pitch than probably all the games last season added up…and, as someone says, he was more physical,  and to me just seemed…”bigger & more confident”…I was really impressed by how he was not afraid to go into spaces, advance…I’m really looking forward to seeing him develop again this season.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Him and Dickie were the picks yesterday.  In fact, although I said in another thread that Tanner was the “outlet” that was more first half.  Second half it was down the middle and the pair tried to get us going.

Tanner annoyed me Saturday,first half he had at least three chances to put Cornick away and for some reason turned back. It doesn't help Cornick look good when he finds space and doesn't get the ball! Second half Cam at least tried his 'raids' but didn't quite come off.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Tanner annoyed me Saturday,first half he had at least three chances to put Cornick away and for some reason turned back. It doesn't help Cornick look good when he finds space and doesn't get the ball! Second half Cam at least tried his 'raids' but didn't quite come off.

I’ve been moaning about Tanner too.  Generally, his attacking game has improved, but Saturday he was over-cautious.

• Like 3

We were overworked defensively from when we scored. 

Our ball retention was rubbish, we didn’t compete with their running and had real problems clearing the ball and when we did couldn’t maintain it. 

The upside of this was Vyner and Dickie got to play together competitively and did very well. Their goal, although earned on the balance of play, was a clear handball, which must have been gutting for the pair of them!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

We were overworked defensively from when we scored. 

Our ball retention was rubbish, we didn’t compete with their running and had real problems clearing the ball and when we did couldn’t maintain it. 

Certainly agree. Watched back some of the extended highlights, two maybe three of their chances came from poor pass selection from us, their equaliser begun when Conway gave it away or there was a hopeful pass played to him just inside their half!

We do not take enough care of the ball. A fully fit Scott and Naismith will help to resolve this but in some ways it felt like a bit of a step sideways on Saturday.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Certainly agree. Watched back some of the extended highlights, two maybe three of their chances came from poor pass selection from us, their equaliser begun when Conway gave it away or there was a hopeful pass played to him just inside their half!

We do not take enough care of the ball. A fully fit Scott and Naismith will help to resolve this but in some ways it felt like a bit of a step sideways on Saturday.

Sideways is generous!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve been moaning about Tanner too.  Generally, his attacking game has improved, but Saturday he was over-cautious.

Nigel said in last week's presser that Tanner isn't an attacking full back. Make of what you will but I reckon a fit McCrorie would have started ahead of him.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Sideways is generous!

Yeah..I'm inclined to give a little benefit given Day One and the injuries, but the final third of last season especially at home but also a couple of times away showed real sign a of progression style and intent wise.

The injuries..do we attribute tbis to bad luck or is there some flaw in how we prepare? I reckon in recent times we've compared unfavourably with a lot of clubs at this level.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah..I'm inclined to give a little benefit given Day One and the injuries, but yeah the final third of last sesson especially at home but also a couple of times away showed real sign a of progression style and intent wise.

The injuries..do we attribute tbis to bad luck or is there some flaw in how we prepare? I reckon in recent times we've compared unfavourably with a lot of clubs at this level.

I think it’s a matter of how similar the injuries are. 

Naismith has an illness, Benerous is an ACL etc. But I agree we appear to keep having more players out than the average. Perhaps one of stats boys can make an assessment? @Davefevs ? 

As for the overall performance obviously I have commented up the thread. But we ground out a point while being a bit pony in most areas so there is plenty of upside! 

Mind you if you had asked me at ht and Ft my mouth would have been/was full of expletives! ? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Sideways is generous!

Yeah, it was a step backwards from the progress seen in the last half of last season.  You could blame it on rustiness over lack of Championship football, but that didn't seem to hamper PNE. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yeah, it was a step backwards from the progress seen in the last half of last season.  You could blame it on rustiness over lack of Championship football, but that didn't seem to hamper PNE. 

They did quite a good tactical job on us and then without the general all round excellence of Scott and the passing range of Naismith, we had a lot less answers. Part of how I saw it anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They did quite a good tactical job on us and then without the general all round excellence of Scott and the passing range of Naismith, we had a lot less answers. Part of how I saw it anyway.

Twas the midfield that let us down, which is why I can't agree with those posters who say Williams had a good game - he was adequate and busy, that's all - or that Knight looked OK. To be frank, he looked unable to cope with his Preston counterparts.  Caveats: first game - you can take nothing from just one 70-minute appearance.

Scott there wouldn't have given us more heft to ride those roughhouse challenges, but it would have hopefully given us the classy passes for Bell, Wells and later Sykes or Conway to run on to. 

Edited by Red-Robbo

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Twas the midfield that let us down, which is why I can't agree with those posters who say Williams had a good game - he was adequate and busy, that's all - or that Knight looked OK. To be frank, he looked unable to cope with his Preston counterparts.  Caveats: first game - you can take nothing from just one 70m-inute appearance.

Scott there wouldn't have given us more heft to ride those roughhouse challenges, but it would have hopefully given us the classy passes for Bell, Wells and later Sykes or Conway to run on to. 

Agreed.

Scott is also excellent at winning free kicks however which will have negated Preston and some of the rough tactics a bit.

Naismith a real outlet, look at the difference up to Coventry HT and then when he was out last season.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2023 at 12:19, elhombrecito said:

Absolutely, I thought he was excellent. Even added a marauding forward run to his repertoire.

Let's get him signed up to a new contract.

Unless I am mistaken, I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Vyner had been offered an extension to his contract, but didn't consider it adequate.

Wasn't he one of the players to whom NP was referring when he suggested that players can't expect a vastly improved contract on the back of one good season? 

23 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I think it’s a matter of how similar the injuries are. 

Naismith has an illness, Benerous is an ACL etc. But I agree we appear to keep having more players out than the average. Perhaps one of stats boys can make an assessment? @Davefevs ? 

As for the overall performance obviously I have commented up the thread. But we ground out a point while being a bit pony in most areas so there is plenty of upside! 

Naismith has apparently recovered from his injury and is now back training.

It is McCrorie who has a 'Bacterial Infection'.

So, in effect, two ACLs, one illness and one injury, now recovered.

Oh, and Alex Scott, of course, who has bruised knees, but should be fit and available for selection (for somebody ?) on Saturday.