IGNORED

Vyner

Super

9 hours ago, chinapig said:

Nigel said in last week's presser that Tanner isn't an attacking full back. Make of what you will but I reckon a fit McCrorie would have started ahead of him.

Tanner has done very well for a low risk development signing, but there is a reason why we fought off strong competition to sign McCrorie from Aberdeen for reported £2M. Hoping we see him fit soon. I am tempted to see both new full backs start to give us something different (and I firmly believe Pring is our next best asset after Scott!). I see a bit of a Tierney/Zinchenko development like at Arsenal last season with both full backs. One better attacking, but the other inverted and Roberts offered that in pre season. 

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unless I am mistaken, I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Vyner had been offered an extension to his contract, but didn't consider it adequate.

Wasn't he one of the players to whom NP was referring when he suggested that players can't expect a vastly improved contract on the back of one good season? 

From my understanding, he was offered a new contract last season, which was either turned down or left unsigned, and then offered another contract after they came back for preseason (which I assume is a better offer), which has either been rejected or not as yet signed.

Edited by BritAbroad

Now that Scott looks as though he is finally moving on, it’s time to start rating Vyner as our most important and consistent player. After last season and a very strong start to this season, as well as taking up one of the vice captain roles, he’s got to be number one on the team sheet. He is finally getting the praise he should, however If he was brought in as a new summer signing last year everyone would be absolutely raving about Zak even more than they are already. Crucial we get him to sign a new contract if we want to push on this season. 

• Like 4

Just now, TommyD68 said:

Now that Scott looks as though he is finally moving on, it’s time to start rating Vyner as our most important and consistent player. After last season and a very strong start to this season, as well as taking up one of the vice captain roles, he’s got to be number one on the team sheet. He is finally getting the praise he should, however If he was brought in as a new summer signing last year everyone would be absolutely raving about Zak even more than they are already. Crucial we get him to sign a new contract if we want to push on this season. 

Hi Zak, welcome to the forum

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

Now that Scott looks as though he is finally moving on, it’s time to start rating Vyner as our most important and consistent player.

Most consistent? Possibly 

Most important? Not so sure about that.

We've been crying out for someone to dictate the game in midfield for years. If we now have that person (in Knight or Naismith), then that's our most important player 

4 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

10 minutes ago, Street red said:

Knight is going to be our most important player but also the link between him and Roberts.

Agree re Knight, however someone who has just come in and only played a couple games for the club I can’t say is the most important currently. Im talking about over the past few months going back to last season and leading into the new season. Vyner has been crucial to the turn around since last Christmas, I feel a lot (not all) don’t rate him as high as they should as they remember the shakey player from previous years. Completely different player nowadays and will do well to keep hold of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TommyD68 said:

Vyner has been crucial to the turn around since last Christmas, I feel a lot (not all) don’t rate him as high as they should as they remember the shakey player from previous years. Completely different player nowadays and will do well to keep hold of him. 

I think this is doing a disservice to the fan base. It took a few months to get people onside but I think that many, many more recognise the massive improvement in him now.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

It’s important we keep hold of our best players and Zak is one of those. Has been for the last 2 and a bit seasons at least. 

1 season. If he'd been sold last summer there wouldn't have been many tears shed. I'm so pleased to see him continue last season's form into this. Long may it continue. One mistake today, but the recovery tackle after was superb and showed just how much confidence he's playing with now. 18 months ago his head would've dropped and he wouldn't have made the tackle.

• Robin 1

17 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Vyner and Dickie looking a good pair, and with Naismith back we have a more than able deputy out of midfield. Well done to the centre-halves ?⚪

Zak`s always looked a better CB if he has a first ball winner next to him. That`s not to say he hasn`t come on in leaps and bounds - he has - but attacking the first ball isn`t (and probably never will be) one of his great strengths.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Zak`s always looked a better CB if he has a first ball winner next to him. That`s not to say he hasn`t come on in leaps and bounds - he has - but attacking the first ball isn`t (and probably never will be) one of his great strengths.

The coaches are still keen to develop that part of his game….seen as a disruptor rather than a winner at the mo’, which is better than where he was 12 months ago.

• Like 1