IGNORED

Anyone else looked at the bottom of the league table today and thought "thats how it could end up"?

brady bunch

I know Gary Johnson said that you needed 10 games to work out roughly where you were, but looking at the bottom three (Huddersfield, Rotherham and QPR). I cannot help but think that it could be worth a small bet on those three teams still being in the bottom come the end of the season.

As for City, I think a pretty lackluster 14 position maybe a likely or optimistic shout.

• Like 1

Being the eternal optimist and remembering that history repeats itself; City were promoted in 1965 to this level and fifty years later in 2015 were again.

65 - 75 City stuttered along, usually in the lower half of the table. Since 2015, a repeat. Therefore, being positive, I am looking forward to the 2025-26 season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

I think the newly promoted sides, Plymouth in particular, are going to struggle when their inevitable momentum stops. 
This division is relentless  and unforgiving. If you think you’ve made it then someone like , Preston shall we say ?, comes along and kicks you in the town halls . 
You have a good case for the bottom three staying the same although for Rotherham the experience is not a new one and they know how to battle it out. 

28 minutes ago, 22A said:

Being the eternal optimist and remembering that history repeats itself; City were promoted in 1965 to this level and fifty years later in 2015 were again.

65 - 75 City stuttered along, usually in the lower half of the table. Since 2015, a repeat. Therefore, being positive, I am looking forward to the 2025-26 season.

Arsenal to enquire after Cam Pring and Tommy Conway, Nige to turn them away (and not even tell Pring and TC)?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BS13 Robin said:

With QPR i think it depends how long they wait before getting shot of Ainsworth,although they may not be able to afford to get rid!

I don't think Ainsworth is the problem. He might not be the solution either but Critchley struggled similarly having done well elsewhere. Ultimately if you can't afford to sign good enough players you are going to struggle. I actually think having a manager who cares about the club and can motivate underdogs gives them as good a chance as anyone would right now. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't think Ainsworth is the problem. He might not be the solution either but Critchley struggled similarly having done well elsewhere. Ultimately if you can't afford to sign good enough players you are going to struggle. I actually think having a manager who cares about the club and can motivate underdogs gives them as good a chance as anyone would right now. 

Thats a fair point!

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I think the newly promoted sides, Plymouth in particular, are going to struggle when their inevitable momentum stops. 
This division is relentless  and unforgiving. If you think you’ve made it then someone like , Preston shall we say ?, comes along and kicks you in the town halls . 
You have a good case for the bottom three staying the same although for Rotherham the experience is not a new one and they know how to battle it out. 

Tend to agree Major.......Plymouth, i think after an initial good start , and as we move into winter, might find their squad isn't good or big enough?  IMO

33 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Tend to agree Major.......Plymouth, i think after an initial good start , and as we move into winter, might find their squad isn't good or big enough?  IMO

Living not far from Plymouth - this is exactly what their diehard fans think - for them survival in the Championship will be a successful season!  They just want a good result against us!!

20 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Living not far from Plymouth - this is exactly what their diehard fans think - for them survival in the Championship will be a successful season!  They just want a good result against us!!

This is what most of my Argyle mates think too - if you offered them 18th - 20th now they`d snatch your hand off. That said, they are more than happy with the signings of Whittaker, Mumba and Finn Azaz - I don`t think many thought they had a chance of one of them let alone all three.

They are all players that I wouldn`t have been disappointed had we signed them for the fees Plymouth paid (Azaz only on loan of course). I think any one of them could have gone a long way towards replacing Alex Scott, particularly Bali Mumba - he will be a star in the future.

On 07/08/2023 at 14:17, Port Said Red said:

People trying to predict the Championship after 23 games is foolhardy, after 1 is plainly ridiculous. :)

If you’re a gambler this is exactly what you do, predicting who’ll finish in the top or top 4 if you do each way of every league can be very profitable…..but a gamble it certainly is.

I don’t agree with others on here about Plymouth, they’ve made some very good signings and I think they’ll be fine this season. In fact I think all 3 promoted clubs will be fine.