IGNORED

Roberts

He was excellent all round. Decision making, defending, crossing, link up. Could not find a fault in him today. It’d be harsh on Cam to lose his place after last season but having watched both Saturday and today (and the last pre season game at Pompey), I’d (potentially not) controversially play Roberts against Millwall on form, even bearing in mind quality of opposition.

• Like 3

As debuts go, didn’t put a foot wrong. Tenacious, always looking forward and showed defensive grit when needed . Was running the game at times and linked up very well with Mehmeti. Clearly the opposition a factor,  especially 2nd half. 

Has certainly given Nige a decision to make ahead of sat . Personally I’d stick him in as Pring was so unusually off the pace vs Preston. 

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I already can't imagine a team without him, he looks like he will be up there with our list of top left backs over the years, Brennan, Bell, Barnard, Scott, Roberts could be as good as any of them.

Even if Pring plays, we have to find a way of getting him on the pitch.

That is some debut, if he is as good as those players over time then we are very fortunate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Get Pring training hard as a left sided centre-half asap. Has all the attributes.

Roberts and Mehmeti are a very exciting proposition down that side.

Pring can play that role, it’s why I don’t feel we need to invest in a CB, it would be nice but we have more pressing positions, Striker, CM and GK. 

• Like 1

In fairness to Pring, he was playing against a much higher standard of opposition than Roberts has so far. We’ve yet to see if Roberts can do it at Championship level (albeit all the signs are very promising). Don’t think Pring deserves to be benched after one game, but great that there’s competition. 

• Like 6

Just now, The Swan and Cemetery said:

In fairness to Pring, he was playing against a much higher standard of opposition than Roberts has so far. We’ve yet to see if Roberts can do it at Championship level (albeit all the signs are very promising). Don’t think Pring deserves to be benched after one game, but great that there’s competition. 

Agree with this, for instance Knight looked good against Cheltenham and Oxford but average against Preston. Very excited to see how Roberts gets on in the championship but will be a different challenge for him when it does happen.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

An excellent technician. Also, is it just me or does he look bigger on the pitch than his supposed 5ft 9 height? 

Decent in the air, a bit like Bryan at times. Not sure I see him as a CB though, very left footed.

I started a topic on him after the Cheltenham game about how good he was. Carried that into tonight, albeit against L1 opposition again.

Looks as though we have two very strong options at left back! like others have said would love to see him start against Millwall to see how he fairs against tougher opposition, not that Pring doesn’t deserve his spot..  But pre season friendlies and a cup game against Oxford maybe aren’t the best indicator. Very promising though thrilled for the lad!

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Decent in the air, a bit like Bryan at times. Not sure I see him as a CB though, very left footed.

I started a topic on him after the Cheltenham game about how good he was. Carried that into tonight, albeit against L1 opposition again.

He just looks physically bigger than I expected. He's no JD. 

Agree tho CB looks ambitious. Other than that, you could pretty much play him anywhere. Looks a v shrewd signing. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He just looks physically bigger than I expected. He's no JD. 

Agree tho CB looks ambitious. Other than that, you could pretty much play him anywhere. Looks a v shrewd signing. 

I watched bits and bobs of him at Derby when he first got mooted here….and he didn’t seem to tackle, just got his body in the right position and eased his opponent off the ball.  It was quite different.  Having seen him ore-season, he has some edge / needle to his game too.

Exciting!

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Wasn’t at the game tonight but sounds like he had a stormer. Pring wasn’t at his best vs Preston and Nige said before tonight’s game it’s down to the players to take the opportunity given to them.

So who starts at left back on Saturday out of the two of them???

Very relieved indeed we brought Roberts in & not Bryan...

Makes a lot more sense.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

He was excellent all round. Decision making, defending, crossing, link up. Could not find a fault in him today. It’d be harsh on Cam to lose his place after last season but having watched both Saturday and today (and the last pre season game at Pompey), I’d (potentially not) controversially play Roberts against Millwall on form, even bearing in mind quality of opposition.

I expect Roberts to start at Millwall. Nige  often says players have to take their chances when they come and Roberts did that last night. Plus, Pring was poor v Preston IMO. 

• Like 1