IGNORED

Come on all, get a grip...

PFree

11 minutes ago, PFree said:

Okay, we are all disappointed Alex is gone, but:

1) Every player wants to play at their highest possible level, you can forgive Alex and any other player for that.

2) Alex will get a massive pay rise on what generally is a short career, why wouldn’t he snap their hand off.

3) Perhaps with the exception now of Man City and Newcastle all other clubs are selling clubs.

4) We lose loads of money every year and have no option but it regularly sell to help stay afloat.

5) This is a sign our policy of bringing youngsters through and selling them on is working.

6) The only time this will change is when we reach the promised land...and even then we will still be a selling club, it is part of being a footy fan sadly!

BUT, we have  a much stronger squad, and some of this money will be used to strengthen us further.

COYR 

Yep. It’s a sad day but there we are the facts of footballing life are thus. 

Regarding the last bit. Aren’t we pretty much at our wage cap at the moment? Scott would have been fairly low wages too so not completely sure how much wiggle room we have. With AS going, Conway injured and no decent option in goal other than Max, still think 3 more need to come in. Honestly think losing Alex will hit us hard. Same happened when Brownhill left. Any hope of a top 6 push went when AS did. Should still be a very good season though. Interesting few weeks ahead in the window for us you’d hope. 

• Sad 1

Agree with this. It’s not so much about whether we sell players - all clubs have to if the offer is right - but what we do next and how we replace them.

With Brownhill, Webster and Kelly, we failed to use the resources to strengthen the club. With Scott going, the club needs to invest in the areas which will make us stronger on the pitch.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, PFree said:

1) Every player wants to play at their highest possible level, you can forgive Alex and any other player 

Are we all disappointed? ………..…:dunno:

We’ve down this road many times before with losing our better players. City have have been a selling club for as long as I can remember and losing yet another is no big deal as far as I’m concerned. We’ll get over it as we always have.

Good luck to AS - however I am surprised that he opted to move to lower level PL club. Another half season and he could have gone to a more high profile PL club.

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

I also look at it from the perspective that we did very well to bring Scott in in the first place. The club should take credit for that. Without that, we wouldn’t have had the pleasure of watching him.

Yep, and I suspect if Steve didn’t live in Guernsey and had our Club develop a relationship with local sides, he more than likely would have gone under our radar.

Don’t think we had that many scouts in the Channel Islands. Indeed, I don’t think we have many/any on the mainland!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, eardun said:

I also look at it from the perspective that we did very well to bring Scott in in the first place. The club should take credit for that. Without that, we wouldn’t have had the pleasure of watching him.

We also wouldn’t have £25,000,000 sat in the bank.

An incredible return on our investment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s different. You don’t have to be stupid to see Scexit as a bad thing. 

Scexit ? 

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We also wouldn’t have £25,000,000 sat in the bank.

An incredible return on our investment.

And with internet rates constantly on the rise there’s no better time to have £25m in your current account 

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Are we all disappointed? ………..…:dunno:

We’ve down this road many times before with losing our better players. City have have been a selling club for as long as I can remember and losing yet another is no big deal as far as I’m concerned. We’ll get over it as we always have.

Good luck to AS - however I am surprised that he opted to move to lower level PL club. Another half season and he could have gone to a more high profile PL club.

Ditto 

I'm pretty MEH about all this now 

The last player to leave I was really gutted about was coming back from Glastonbury to hear Scott Murray had signed for Reading 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Ditto 

I'm pretty MEH about all this now 

The last player to leave I was really gutted about was coming back from Glastonbury to hear Scott Murray had signed for Reading 

Yep loads over the years. Starting with Gerry Gow for me. That said, the most I have ever been gutted was due to an injury rather than a sale - Paul Cheesley. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PFree said:

1) Every player wants to play at their highest possible level, you can forgive Alex and any other player for that.

2) Alex will get a massive pay rise on what generally is a short career, why wouldn’t he snap their hand off.

3) Perhaps with the exception now of Man City and Newcastle all other clubs are selling clubs.

4) We lose loads of money every year and have no option but it regularly sell to help stay afloat.

5) This is a sign our policy of bringing youngsters through and selling them on is working.

6) The only time this will change is when we reach the promised land...and even then we will still be a selling club, it is part of being a footy fan sadly!

BUT, we have  a much stronger squad, and some of this money will be used to strengthen us further.

COYR 

Agree with all of this other than having a stronger squad. Quantity doesn’t equal quality. With the exception of Dickie and Knight on Saturday it was the same starting 11 that struggled last season. Knight instead of Scott isn’t an improvement, Dickie over Atkinson remains to be seen but I dint think for one second we are stronger. It’s a myth!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PFree said:

COYR 

Especially as we all knew it was happening - it's not like we've been taken by surprise with an unexpected deadline day offer we can't refuse....

He's been gone in my mind since the end of last season & it's been inevitable since then.

Good luck to him & all we can hope for now is that he does well & gets a massive money move again to net us some extra sell on clause money.

Been a pleasure to watch but that's football & we have new players who can hopefully fill the void left.

• Like 1