IGNORED

Come on all, get a grip...

PFree

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s like Brexit. Being told to get over it within hours. 

Totally different. City have sold our best players countless times over the years and we've always got over it. Nearly all clubs do. 

But we've never sabotaged our entire future and sold our kids down the river forever. Only one nation has ever done that to itself ?

• Like 8

All we can do (given where we are in the financial non-prem food chain) is:

1. Hope said player behaves with a bit of dignity, tries their best when here, doesn’t openly agitate for a move and says the right things when they do go.

2. We get at least the price we want for the player.

So in terms of Kelly, Semenyo and Scott it’s tick, tick, tick.

These 3 add to our growing reputation for developing players (both our own and other team’s) and selling them on. So I’d say we should be happy with both the model we have and how successful we are becoming in putting it into practise.

• Like 2

Players I’ve been really upset about leaving. 
Cole to Newcastle.
Goater to Man City.
Murray to Reading.

Reid to Cardiff - anyone but.

Webster to Brighton - he was the start of great things.

With Scott it was inevitable - we have maximised profit on someone who has cost us absolutely nothing and could have left in January - I genuinely through of life this season without him so am not surprised. 

we dust ourselves off, we move on and we be thankful for an academy that is producing quality players. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ILikeCheeseOnToast said:

Cole to Newcastle.
Goater to Man City.
Murray to Reading.

With Scott it was inevitable - we have maximised profit on someone who has cost us absolutely nothing and could have left in January - I genuinely through of life this season without him so am not surprised. 

we dust ourselves off, we move on and we be thankful for an academy that is producing quality players. 

Collier to Coventry?

The answer - of course - is to sign them all up to 10 year contracts. Pretty sure nothing can possibly go wrong there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Robin 2

2 hours ago, PFree said:

Okay, we are all disappointed Alex is gone, but:

1) Every player wants to play at their highest possible level, you can forgive Alex and any other player for that.

2) Alex will get a massive pay rise on what generally is a short career, why wouldn’t he snap their hand off.

3) Perhaps with the exception now of Man City and Newcastle all other clubs are selling clubs.

4) We lose loads of money every year and have no option but it regularly sell to help stay afloat.

5) This is a sign our policy of bringing youngsters through and selling them on is working.

6) The only time this will change is when we reach the promised land...and even then we will still be a selling club, it is part of being a footy fan sadly!

BUT, we have  a much stronger squad, and some of this money will be used to strengthen us further.

COYR 

You had me convinced until point 6

Please explain how we have a "much stronger squad".  

I cannot see a justification for this claim

Edited by Reefer Madness

28 minutes ago, ILikeCheeseOnToast said:

Cole to Newcastle.
Goater to Man City.
Murray to Reading.

Whilst it’s always a kick in the teeth to lose your best players, being pragmatic and thinking about the overall health of the club and what Nigel and Tins might otherwise have had available to invest, the ones to be really upset about are:

- Diédhiou

- Massengo

- Eliason

- Kalas

- Dasilva

Can’t be bothered doing the maths but it will probably be a similar aggregate amount of fees paid for them which we have not had any sell on in return as the amount we have received for Alex Scott, who didn’t cost us a penny. 

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

With Kelly, Semenyo and Scott there I assume Bournemouth are everyone’s second club now…

Will the club shop be selling half'n half scarves?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I don't get all the negative fall out. He's been hot property for 12 months now and the club had even said he had a price they would sell him at. I think every level headed person, expected him to leave this summer, but hoped we may keep him for longer. 12 months ago, many were worried about the squad, our position with FFP etc, now fats forward 12 months, we have multiple promising youngsters and a good wealth of experience on the pitch, as well as no FFP problems and money in the bank, which can be utilised to build for the future. There's nothing to be upset about. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Collier to Coventry?

The answer - of course - is to sign them all up to 10 year contracts. Pretty sure nothing can possibly go wrong there. 

The ecosystem of Football economics is so different now as to make such a calamitous crash improbable I suspect.

Not that I'm advocating 10 year deals obvs!!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:
Come on all......get a grip

But the money's so good
Just get a grip on yourself
But the money's so good
Just get a grip on yourself
And you should know.......

Stranger from another club, welcome to our hole

Just strap on your guitar, and we'll play some rocknroll... 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Reefer Madness said:

You had me convinced until point 6

Please explain how we have a "much stronger squad".  

I cannot see a justification for this claim

When I look at the recent signings and Saturday’s team sheet, perhaps with the exception of a keeper, we seem to have more competition across several positions - I don’t feel we have had players challenging for positions over the last couple of seasons..

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PFree said:

When I look at the recent signings and Saturday’s team sheet, perhaps with the exception of a keeper, we seem to have more competition across several positions - I don’t feel we have had players challenging for positions over the last couple of seasons..

Injuries permitting of course but yes agreed.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Agree with all of this other than having a stronger squad. Quantity doesn’t equal quality. With the exception of Dickie and Knight on Saturday it was the same starting 11 that struggled last season. Knight instead of Scott isn’t an improvement, Dickie over Atkinson remains to be seen but I dint think for one second we are stronger. It’s a myth!

Knight will score far more goals and get more assists than Alex Scott did so that is an improvement; he doesn't at this time effect the game enough consistently and the stats of 1 goal and 2 or 3 assists clearly suggest that £25 million is ourstanding business.

• Hmmm 2

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Yep, and I suspect if Steve didn’t live in Guernsey and had our Club develop a relationship with local sides, he more than likely would have gone under our radar.

Don’t think we had that many scouts in the Channel Islands. Indeed, I don’t think we have many/any on the mainland!

I've always thought of Steve as a 2-bit capitalist grubbing for a few pounds extra in saved taxes by residing on a remote, far away, piece of land the size of Weston.

Turns out he was scouting for us!  Nice work. Steve!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I've always thought of Steve as a 2-bit capitalist grubbing for a few pounds extra in saved taxes by residing on a remote, far away, piece of land the size of Weston.

Turns out he was scouting for us!  Nice work. Steve!

Mind you, Arnold Gartia is not someone I would wish to have in my ‘scouted’ portfolio. So in Steve’s case you win some, lose some. 

I still believe promotion for us will come only through luck, ie a season when our top player decides to stay for one more season, our cheap lower league buys all work out, and the youngsters brought in hit their potential immediately.  Plus few injuries

in the great scheme of things for all those to come together in one season is almost next to wishful thinking.

of course, all might change under new owners

Just now, Ivorguy said:

I still believe promotion for us will come only through luck, ie a season when our top player decides to stay for one more season, our cheap lower league buys all work out, and the youngsters brought in hit their potential immediately.  Plus few injuries

in the great scheme of things for all those to come together in one season is almost next to wishful thinking.

of course, all might change under new owners

We don't strictly speaking need to sell anyone we do not want to now, not for a year or maybe 2 IMO.

35 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Knight will score far more goals and get more assists than Alex Scott did so that is an improvement; he doesn't at this time effect the game enough consistently and the stats of 1 goal and 2 or 3 assists clearly suggest that £25 million is ourstanding business.

Another one who only sees football as stats!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Are we all disappointed? ………..…:dunno:

We’ve down this road many times before with losing our better players. City have have been a selling club for as long as I can remember and losing yet another is no big deal as far as I’m concerned. We’ll get over it as we always have.

Good luck to AS - however I am surprised that he opted to move to lower level PL club. Another half season and he could have gone to a more high profile PL club.

He will.........in a season or two's time B'mouth fans will be experiencing exactly what we are going through now, and they will be making the same remarks and be just as disappointed as we are at present?  He will move on up from the South coast, and i predict looking at my crystal ball's..........it will be somewhere Oooop North? ?