IGNORED

Come on all, get a grip...

PFree

1 hour ago, YorksRed said:

Whilst it’s always a kick in the teeth to lose your best players, being pragmatic and thinking about the overall health of the club and what Nigel and Tins might otherwise have had available to invest, the ones to be really upset about are:

- Diédhiou

- Massengo

- Eliason

- Kalas

- Dasilva

Can’t be bothered doing the maths but it will probably be a similar aggregate amount of fees paid for them which we have not had any sell on in return as the amount we have received for Alex Scott, who didn’t cost us a penny. 

I think, without exception, all of these left for less than we would have liked as a direct result of COVID & the financial implications. Without it, most likely we would have gotten decent fees for or kept each of them.

34 minutes ago, Gurney said:

I think, without exception, all of these left for less than we would have liked as a direct result of COVID & the financial implications. Without it, most likely we would have gotten decent fees for or kept each of them.

Played a part, how much more is debatable but 4 left for free.

I certainly don't see it as any great excuse but we would have got more than £0 for Kalas, Dasilva, Massengo and Diedhiou yes.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Last season a series of injuries exposed our lack of real depth in the squad with all and sundry being co-opted to play in various defensive positions.

For all that we would all have wanted Alex to stay at the club, his leaving could be a blessing in disguise. 

Firstly, it goes without saying that he is a unique talent and is able to do things that no other of our players can. Imagine he stayed but then suffered an injury like Conway has.There is no one else in the squad able to replace AS like for like and without his sale proceeds we don't have the money to go out and by anyone remotely able to fill his role. 

We've already strengthened in a number of areas and it is likely that we will do so further having banked Scott's fee. Scott is brilliant, but we wouldn't want to be /become a one man team. Daft as it might sound, by being stronger right through the team we could be a better team without Scott than we were with him.

£25m will give us a massive buffer against ffp for a few seasons. That could be important to avoid what so many fans are critical of over Scott's sale, i.e. the club selling it's best assets, the inference being that we show no ambition. Money in the bank, and having no ffp concerns, means we are in a much better position to hold on to our upcoming talents ( Vyner, Conway, Bell, Pring and the rest coming down the line) and it could well give us a bit more wriggle room if we want to offer better contracts to hold on to players.

Scott is just the latest, but perhaps the best, advert for our academy. the pathway to the first team is now well demonstrated, as is, through Kelly, Semenyo and Scott, the pathway to the premier league. I'd imagine that we are looking ever more attractive for the very best youngsters looking for an academy to join.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

We lose our best player

We’re sad to see him go

We wish him all the best

He could have done much better than (insert club name here)

We shouldn’t stand in his way if he wants to play at a higher level.

If he doesn’t want to play for us, let him go.

Lets invest the money well

Cliched sound bites we’ve heard countless times before, and will do again. Across the world, it’s probably been said thousands of times during this transfer window this year.

It’s part of football, surely we’re all used to it? All I’m thinking about is Millwall tomorrow. I’m excited about hopefully seeing what Roberts can do. Got a great feeling about him. Maybe we’ll be having this conversation again in a few months when he goes to Bournemouth? Life always goes on… Talent comes, talent goes… Enjoy them whilst they’re here.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

We have managed 15wins in each of the last 3 NP seasons, we have slightly improved in that time from a lowly 19th to a mediocre 14th;

prev season with D Holden finished 12th with 17 wins; LJ even had 19wins and finished 8th both sacked...not good enough,

So the selling off our assets over the past 5 seasons has got us from a 8th place finish to 14th last season, maybe its not us that should get a grip but the powers that be. ?

(wins and finishing positions taken from transfermarket so blame them if wrong)

19 minutes ago, wtf said:

We have managed 15wins in each of the last 3 NP seasons, we have slightly improved in that time from a lowly 19th to a mediocre 14th;

prev season with D Holden finished 12th with 17 wins; LJ even had 19wins and finished 8th both sacked...not good enough,

So the selling off our assets over the past 5 seasons has got us from a 8th place finish to 14th last season, maybe its not us that should get a grip but the powers that be. ?

The selling off of assets as got us to a position to financially tread water. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, wtf said:

Since arriving, NP has had to work with his hands tied financially, while addressing and resolving the financial mess left by Ashton and the on field shambles left by his predecessors. To do so he had to move out high earners and deadwood  and until Semenyo's sale could only bring in free or very low fee transfers. The bonus during Pearson's time has, of course, been the use of academy players.

The financial mess he inherited was largely created during LJ's time at the helm, when he was given almost unprecedented backing, so to compare LJ's results with Pearson's is a bit disingenuous.

If LJ was still in charge Scott and Conway would probably be on their third loans at Cheltenham or Newport!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, YorksRed said:

Whilst it’s always a kick in the teeth to lose your best players, being pragmatic and thinking about the overall health of the club and what Nigel and Tins might otherwise have had available to invest, the ones to be really upset about are:

- Diédhiou

- Massengo

- Eliason

- Kalas

- Dasilva

Can’t be bothered doing the maths but it will probably be a similar aggregate amount of fees paid for them which we have not had any sell on in return as the amount we have received for Alex Scott, who didn’t cost us a penny. 

I was quite surprised to notice a few weeks ago that Eliasson is 12th on the list of highest transfer fees City have received. I know there’s a lot of speculation involved in these things, but I’d not put him in the same category as the other 4.

The other surprise on there was just how much we managed to extract from Cardiff for Lee Tomlin.  I hate to say it, because it was probably Mark Ashton days, but that was a hell of a good bit of business. 

20 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I was quite surprised to notice a few weeks ago that Eliasson is 12th on the list of highest transfer fees City have received. I know there’s a lot of speculation involved in these things, but I’d not put him in the same category as the other 4.

The other surprise on there was just how much we managed to extract from Cardiff for Lee Tomlin.  I hate to say it, because it was probably Mark Ashton days, but that was a hell of a good bit of business. 

Ah, ok.  I’d forgotten that and thought he left on a free.

2 hours ago, wtf said:

Quite some feat considering Nige has only had 2 full seasons and Holden was only in charge for half a season....

You can blame Transfermarkt all you like but these are things that you should just know if you want to use them as points to pillory the club.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

For all we despise about him, Ashton loved a deal and he did well selling players while he was here.
If there was a safety valve, DoF or strong sensible Manager, we may not have signed every player this side of the equator and been in such a mess. His love of dealing seemed to come before everything and that caused the car crash we became.

Short version ( sorry Tone );

Used car salesman good at selling cars.

13 hours ago, RedRock said:

Mind you, Arnold Gartia is not someone I would wish to have in my ‘scouted’ portfolio. So in Steve’s case you win some, lose some. 

Didn't he cost £25,000?  The football equivalent of the loose change you find down the back of the sofa.

5 hours ago, wtf said:

Remind me how many promotion places are available for coming 8th...

6 hours ago, wtf said:

“stats” and words taken straight from Ian Gay at end of the season!

Why not go the whole hog for balance:

image.thumb.png.ad3a861f053991b66224ae2671f4c13f.png

draws - up 4 / up 4 each season

losses - down 4 / down 4 each season

goal difference - +7 / + 14 each season 

points - up 4 / up 4 each season

I’m gonna be rude, so apologies, but there is a significant amount of ignorance in just looking at the table each season.

Just ask yourself - why do we have to sell our assets?

Ask yourself also - why have we not been able to invest in our squad until this summer?

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

“stats” and words taken straight from Ian Gay at end of the season!

Why not go the whole hog for balance:

image.thumb.png.ad3a861f053991b66224ae2671f4c13f.png

draws - up 4 / up 4 each season

losses - down 4 / down 4 each season

goal difference - +7 / + 14 each season 

points - up 4 / up 4 each season

I’m gonna be rude, so apologies, but there is a significant amount of ignorance in just looking at the table each season.

Just ask yourself - why do we have to sell our assets?

Ask yourself also - why have we not been able to invest in our squad until this summer?

Is it 'cos we's got some money troubles, @Davefevs? Is that right? Do I get a prize? Do I, do I? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

For all we despise about him, Ashton loved a deal and he did well selling players while he was here.
If there was a safety valve, DoF or strong sensible Manager, we may not have signed every player this side of the equator and been in such a mess. His love of dealing seemed to come before everything and that caused the car crash we became.

Short version ( sorry Tone );

Used car salesman good at selling cars.

It’s the one thing you do have to - begrudgingly - give him some credit for. I’d forgotten til I looked at that list: just behind Eliasson in 13th is Magnússon, and the top 25 still includes Sammi Szmodics and Mo Eisa!

I think that’s maybe also a reflection of just how crazy football finances became pre covid, and just what a massive change covid brought about. Sadly, it came at just about the worst time possible for us. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, phantom said:

We've been here before and we'll be here again 

Bristol City continue regardless 

Yes we will be here to observe the next Luton , Blackpool, Bournemouth,Wigan  bypass us to the Premier League as we listen to some fans cry about us being on our own journey.

I say this in jest as I am still optimistic about this season despite losing Scott but we can’t ignore the above facts I stated, one play off final since the 70s for our club is unacceptable and after this season serious questions must be asked if we are no where near