IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The other thing to consider is £3-£5m plus wages is an "all eggs in one basket" job for us. You really need to be good and produce way more than anything seen by our squad for that to remotely work........................

Could do his acl in first game. We have a very long history of new signings getting injured here. And that's what makes it high risk for me. Is it high reward? I'm not sure either. 

5 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Yeah I get that. But what’s done is done. NP has gone and they obviously want to back Manning. Nothing we can do to help that. Just got to hope the players that we’re willing to spend the money on are worth the price tag. 

Surely people are allowed to discuss their concerns about how the club is being run? 

Problem is, I don't think one person on this thread thinks that Twine is worth spending 5 million on. 

15 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Hes a step up from what we have, a few more players who are a step up on what weve already got ought to see us make some progression. Would iversen or travers be a step up on max? Yes,, would adam idah be a step up on cornick? Yes, and willock or chair would be a step up on mehmeti too, and they would all cost more. Its whether the owners want to pay that price. 

If Steve and Jon have found some money down the back of the sofa and have decided to back Manning, have a right go and we have 2-3 players like this coming in then I can understand paying over the odds a little. If, as I suspect, this is "all eggs in one basket" and "see, we have backed Liam" then it is jam packed with risk for me.......

4 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I don't think it's being offered for you..................

Ok, I won't bother to have an opinion then!! Why would you, on a football forum?

Edited by Numero Uno

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Twine would bring that creative attacking midfielder but we desperately need a striker who can physically compete but think we also lack that wide player who can also create. Mehmeti still has a lot to improve on 

if Atkinson isn’t far away then he would play alongside Dickie for me and with McCrorie now back he comes in for Tanner 

A few changes and I don’t think we are far off a good team who can compete at this level 

I agree.  I think the squad is top-half, when fit.  But we know it’s never gonna be totally fit, so with a lack of depth it’s realistically mid table.  Signing someone like Twine and getting a couple of players back pushes back into being a top-half team again.  How close top-half is to top-six is a big unknown.  It’s tight at the moment.  By the end of the window it could be tighter, but then again it could start to stretch.

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

Is there a topic in football chat where NP, JL or BT are not mentioned. Seems every topic turns to discussion about them three.

As Paul Weller sang on Going Underground “you’ve made your bed you better lie in it”.

In the next line he also sang “you choose your leaders and place your trust, as their lies wash you down and their promises rust” 😉

10 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Where has this £5M come from, Roy? 

Best to ignore that fantasy fee! 

Someone pretty credible, whether Burnley get it is another matter.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If we were spending lets say 2 million on Twine then none of us would be speaking about NP, BT or JL. 

The fact we are potentially spending 5 million is why we are speaking about those people because we've suddenly found 5 million down the back of the sofa which we didn't have in the summer. 

Surely you can see why that has provided a talking point? 

It's just everything topic turns to that..

Can't we just have two topics ie.

Poor Nige - Discuss

We hate JL & BT - Discuss

Instead of them being discussed in every topic. There is more talk about them than actually what sort of player Twine is and how he'd compliment or not the team.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

Sure this is in the thread somewhere, but we have done quite a bit of business with Burnley over the last few years, is there some wiggle on all the deals that have already happened so that we offset some of the cost “creatively”? That’s the only way I can see us doing deals at this level 

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

It's just everything topic turns to that..

Can't we just have two topics ie.

Poor Nige - Discuss

We hate JL & BT - Discuss

Instead of them being discussed in every topic. There is more talk about them than actually what sort of player Twine is and how he'd compliment or not the team.

Go on any other club's forum where the Senior Leadership Team are not trusted by a large portion of the fan base (it doesn't even have to be a majority) and you will find the same whether it's healthy or not. Who created that scenario? **** about, find out comes to mind with our SLT.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Not just the fee, don't forget about the £5m wages over four years...............

My Coventry mates often tell me how they done great buisness by selling their two best players and then spending near on 30 million on replacements. Apparently that shows how well they are run. They seem to think the players they have signed play for free and they have the 2nd lowest budget in the league. 

I think the point I'm making is that football fans often forget about the wages which can potentially cost more than the transfer fee. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If they are better than our worst players (bare minimum) then the overall squad improves.  If we managed to get two players of say Dickie and Knight’s level (not necessarily position), that improves us, doesn’t it?

Transfer fees arent an exact science these days with contracts coming to an end or actually ending, but generally speaking better players cost more. Dickie and knight have looked very good for us, i like what they bring, but clearly there are better players than them available if you have got the money. 5 million for twine is a lot of money, but manning knows him, its a position we need, and hes about as good as we can reasonably get.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Transfer fees arent an exact science these days with contracts coming to an end or actually ending, but generally speaking better players cost more. Dickie and knight have looked very good for us, i like what they bring, but clearly there are better players than them available if you have got the money. 5 million for twine is a lot of money, but manning knows him, its a position we need, and hes about as good as we can reasonably get.

£3-5m plus £5m wages................if we buy him we ain't bringing in anyone else I don't think. Is he THAT good? Cos he'll need to be (and he'll need to stay fit too).

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Twine is a good player. Brentford spent 10 million on Toney... We turned him down, they didn't, look how that turned out.

Toney does the hardest thing in the game......hits the back of the onion bag.

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My Coventry mates often tell me how they done great buisness by selling their two best players and then spending near on 30 million on replacements. Apparently that shows how well they are run. They seem to think the players they have signed play for free and they have the 2nd lowest budget in the league. 

I think the point I'm making is that football fans often forget about the wages which can potentially cost more than the transfer fee. 

Net Spend is mis-used.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Correct.  We should be looking to exploit the market where we can imho, we did that brilliantly with Dickie.

But if City want to spend £5m on Twine that’s up to them.  I think it’s too much for what we are gonna get.  I hope they negotiate it down, it’s only Burnley’s opening gambit.

26 minutes ago, westonred said:

If we are going to be spending £5m i would try and prise Morgan Whittaker away from the Muff

Dear oh dear.

He’s been linked in this window with Luton & Brentford, so why on earth do you think Plymouth would sell him to a side in the same league?

Azaz and Cundle weren’t their players, that’s why they had no choice there.

There is absolutely no thought process behind this sort of suggestion at all.

Twine has been playing out of position at Burnley and Hull. Both have played him out wide when he isn't a wide player. He's a Number 10, and would take up Knight's role. Knight would go back into his normal position in CM.

He would be a valuable signing. Scores goals from long distance, dangerous from set pieces, and opening up defences with through balls. Much more suited to our system as a Number 10 than Knight is.

Just now, George Rs said:

Yes, but for every Ivan Toney you get 35 Mo Eisas 15 Gustav Engvalls and 2 Stefan Marinovics.

I think Twine is better than those three players for starters 😂

• Like 1

I'm not going to comment on any transfer fee because hardly anyone is going to know the truth and contracts these days make it near on impossible to place an actual figure on it. I've seen Kalas quoted at £8million for us and he certainly wasn't worth anything like that,

However, it feels to me like this is a player that would do us a hell of a lot of good. Take some pressure off of Knight who is doing a lot of heavy lifting with his forward press and also introduce some much needed creativity, I believe he has created almost twice as many chances for Hull this season that anyone has done for us?

Add to that that he had some of his best form playing for Manning then it would seem like a sensible investment if the finance people think it's worth it.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I appreciate all the reasons that you say that Twine isn't worth £5m, we had these discussions earlier in the thread. I think that it's all relative though, I think we all agree we are lacking that something special in midfield, and if Manning has persuaded the club that he can make Twine that key player then he could be worth £5m to us come the end of the season.

I think the most common criticism on here of the Lansdown's is their lack of ambition, I don't actually agree with it but, it seems a like a no win situation when this comes up and suddenly the cry seems to be "Not that much ambition".

The thing is, while we've been going through our period of austerity for the last 2 years, some on here (presume the one's who don't want SL to sell up) have been saying "nobody was moaning when we were signing players"

Well, now people are urging caution. Of course we all love a new signing, and god knows we need a few, but that doesn't mean we want to see us have our pants pulled down and end up back in a financial mess. IF, and it's a big if, we spent £5M on this kid, it would smack of the 'board' ignoring the last couple of years, just to reinforce their faith in Manning. They can do that without getting mugged off.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

https://t.co/UDg2pSv7Yc

HullLive article suggesting the deal is pretty much done, confirms that originally Burnely rated Twine at £5m but we seem to have done some haggling and managed to get it down to within the region of £2.5m. 

If this is correct that is the kind of business I would be thrilled with!

Edited by George Rs