IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Because…

- We’ve just come through a period where we had to jettison a lot of high earners because we spent like a sailor on shore leave

- We’ve been told (and we all know it was false) that there was no money

- The more we spend on Twine the less money there is elsewhere

- The kind of point of a forum is discussing things like this

Other than that, go nuts. You’re totally right.

This.

Seems like a lot of people are totally against people sharing their opinions on this forum.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Remember, the negotiations went on for quite a while in the summer and this was amid interest (confirmed interest) from Prem clubs. 
So if we wanted to keep him we had to pay him. 

Agree GC. Yes, Williams will be above average too. And Wells. That lot are our biggest contracts - James, Weimann, Wells, Williams, Naismith, Vyner. With 3 of those off the books in a couple of months. Twines wages won’t be anywhere near breaking the bank 

What do you reckon to what appears to be on the table now mate, having been not on board with the mooted £5m? I was against that (based on he shouldn’t have gone up in value post Burnley move based on record), against a straight loan (pointless at this stage) but loan with option to buy at a fee of c£2.5m seems a good deal to me. You’ve seen more of him than most, and without using the phrase “we should have had him for zero”, in todays environment seem decent to you?

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Remember, the negotiations went on for quite a while in the summer and this was amid interest (confirmed interest) from Prem clubs. 

Yep certainly makes sense - just surprised the uplift was that much - was expecting £13-15k.  Fair play to him though and completely agree if we want to keep these lads who are performing we need to pay.  Happier for us to reward continuous improvement of our own rather than take punts on more unknown quantities which would no doubt also come with a hefty fee as well. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

There are so many posts on here obsessing about the transfer fee and salary.

Why can we just let the club deal with all that financial stuff and just be grateful that we are actually getting a decent player on board.

Decent? I don't think you should be obsessing about how good Twine is and let Manning deal with all that football stuff.

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agree GC. Yes, Williams will be above average too. And Wells. That lot are our biggest contracts - James, Weimann, Wells, Williams, Naismith, Vyner. With 3 of those off the books in a couple of months. Twines wages won’t be anywhere near breaking the bank 

Yes, Vyner’s agent allegedly played a blinder.  I believe he is now on a par with if not our highest earner!!  And in many respects I have no issue with that.  We’ve had him for cheap over his time here and I’m a believer that you should pay home grown players the going rate, not pay them less because of their route to the first team.

Wells has signed a new contract since he first signed, so no longer a high / top earner.

I’m led to believe Twine is not earning PL money!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Rs said:

https://t.co/UDg2pSv7Yc

HullLive article suggesting the deal is pretty much done, confirms that originally Burnely rated Twine at £5m but we seem to have done some haggling and managed to get it down to within the region of £2.5m. 

If this is correct that is the kind of business I would be thrilled with!

Who would do the haggling, as that seems a decent deal to me. 

18 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Because…

- We’ve just come through a period where we had to jettison a lot of high earners because we spent like a sailor on shore leave

- We’ve been told (and we all know it was false) that there was no money

- The more we spend on Twine the less money there is elsewhere

- The kind of point of a forum is discussing things like this

Other than that, go nuts. You’re totally right.

Haven't we also been told if we can bring forward deals that we'd look at in the summer we would. Wouldn't a loan to buy for Twine fit that exactly.

BTW I didn't buy the prior 'pot is empty' statements previously. However, this deal is exactly as described recently for the business we'd do.

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

What do you reckon to what appears to be on the table now mate, having been not on board with the mooted £5m? I was against that (based on he shouldn’t have gone up in value post Burnley move based on record), against a straight loan (pointless at this stage) but loan with option to buy at a fee of c£2.5m seems a good deal to me. You’ve seen more of him than most, and without using the phrase “we should have had him for zero”, in todays environment seem decent to you?

Ha ha. You know I have incredible bias here, so I can’t confirm without first stating the caveat “anything above £300k is more than we ‘could’ have got him for 2.5 years ago”. 

But that said. Yes, I’m much more comfortable with a £2.5m figure. I’d still prefer it to be done as a permanent immediately rather than a loan with a view. I don’t understand the need to ‘try before you buy’. The manager knows what he can do, and he’s one of the most creative players in the champ THIS season, so we know exactly what we are getting. 

Overall - yes, I’m delighted we are signing him. He’s a player I’ve loved watching over the last 3-4 years. He’s exactly what we miss (creativity in the 10 role, set piece ability) and he’s exactly what LM wants. 
But my view will always be tempered with the fact that any money over £300k is money we didn’t need to spend. 

I see Fevs’ heat map from earlier. That season at MK, he was mostly played as the ‘10’, but his natural tendency was to move out to the left - hence why his heat map looks like he was played on the left. That generally wasn’t the case - he just exploited the left side more than the right. 
So for me he should slot in at ‘10’ but needs a free ish role to get the best of him. 
We’ve had Knight up there recently. Don’t expect anywhere near the sort of press and energy that Knight has provided. Twine isn’t the quickest. He won’t be sprinting and closing down defenders. But he’s clever. He positions himself well to receive the ball in space. He’s confident when on the ball and will rarely lose possession. He will thread delightful through balls (some of his assists at MK were simply sublime), and he’ll deliver a great free kick and accurate corners. If I see ANYONE take a set piece aside from Twine I’ll be baffled. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Jose said:

Vyner on 18k a week? 😂

Believe it mate. Honestly. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, Vyner’s agent allegedly played a blinder.  I believe he is now on a par with if not our highest earner!!  And in many respects I have no issue with that.  We’ve had him for cheap over his time here and I’m a believer that you should pay home grown players the going rate, not pay them less because of their route to the first team.

Wells has signed a new contract since he first signed, so no longer a high / top earner.

Yep. And re the Twine salary - I’m sure you got that info from someone who would absolutely know. So people need to 100% trust that statement. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. You know I have incredible bias here, so I can’t confirm without first stating the caveat “anything above £300k is more than we ‘could’ have got him for 2.5 years ago”. 

But that said. Yes, I’m much more comfortable with a £2.5m figure. I’d still prefer it to be done as a permanent immediately rather than a loan with a view. I don’t understand the need to ‘try before you buy’. The manager knows what he can do, and he’s one of the most creative players in the champ THIS season, so we know exactly what we are getting. 

Overall - yes, I’m delighted we are signing him. He’s a player I’ve loved watching over the last 3-4 years. He’s exactly what we miss (creativity in the 10 role, set piece ability) and he’s exactly what LM wants. 
But my view will always be tempered with the fact that any money over £300k is money we didn’t need to spend. 

I see Fevs’ heat map from earlier. That season at MK, he was mostly played as the ‘10’, but his natural tendency was to move out to the left - hence why his heat map looks like he was played on the left. That generally wasn’t the case - he just exploited the left side more than the right. 
So for me he should slot in at ‘10’ but needs a free ish role to get the best of him. 
We’ve had Knight up there recently. Don’t expect anywhere near the sort of press and energy that Knight has provided. Twine isn’t the quickest. He won’t be sprinting and closing down defenders. But he’s clever. He positions himself well to receive the ball in space. He’s confident when on the ball and will rarely lose possession. He will thread delightful through balls (some of his assists at MK were simply sublime), and he’ll deliver a great free kick and accurate corners. If I see ANYONE take a set piece aside from Twine I’ll be baffled. 

Is he reasonably two footed @Harry? To me that always makes a big difference to how easily opposition players can close you down.

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't roll over and have my tummy tickled like most. 

Don't just question the idiots running OUR club, interrogate and hold them to account! 

How do you question them and hold them to account? By posting on OTIB? 😂

You didn’t even go to the Fans forum. You’re hardly Jeremy Paxman. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All in the past now but we both know there were some incredible rumours flying around via private message on August 31st & the day after (deadline day) when we announced he had signed a new contract..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Haven't we also been told if we can bring forward deals that we'd look at in the summer we would. Wouldn't a loan to buy for Twine fit that exactly.

BTW I didn't buy the prior 'pot is empty' statements previously. However, this deal is exactly as described recently for the business we'd do.

Point one - yes, and for avoidance of doubt this looks like that now and I’d back it. Wouldn’t have as a loan, wouldn’t have at £5m, but yes it does fit that profile and is sensible.

Point two - none of us do/did. It’s more about not treating the fanbase like morons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

How do you question them and hold them to account? By posting on OTIB? 😂

You didn’t even go to the Fans forum. You’re hardly Jeremy Paxman. 

For reasons out of my control. 

Could be worse, I could be Ian Gay who mouths off on podcasts and then when gets the chance to ask the Chairman a question, asks him an incredibly mundane question. 

As you are aware, the club very much watches this place, very closely. 

As this place isn't North Korea fans forum, I'll continue to post my opinions, if you don't agree, that's okay, just scroll on past👍 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

According to numerous posters, the only opinions that are allowed are Pro Lansdown posts, pro Manning posts and pro Tinnion posts. You get bonus points if you mention what a fantastic stadium we have. 

You make up nonsense all the time. Yesterday you said there were people who said that Manning was the best manager since Pep. When challenged you then changed it to the best young manager in the country.  You said it was plenty of people as well. I can’t find one.  Stop being disingenuous and taking things so personally and you might have a nicer experience on here 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect Tins is the one on the phone / firing emails back and forth to Burnley.

What happens if he gets the spelling/numbers wrong and we end up paying £25 million?

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

My expectation is that Tinnion was actually just in for Manuel Benson at £25m but the emails were so illegible that we ended up with Twine

Apologies, missed this one.

• Like 1