IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Just guessing but could we be using available funds for our elusive striker and have talks with Burnley re signing Twine at a later date?

Pure guesswork as I said, just trying to work this out to City's benefit long term rather than short term.

These are my thoughts too. Could it be for accounts purposes so we can get another in and we will likely buy in the summer? I reckon with all the conflicting reports today we might have been close-ish to a perm deal, but ultimately Burnley wouldn’t budge enough.

The other explanation is that they really believe he can make such a serious difference to our team’s results, enough to keep fans interested for the rest of the season, and most importantly for next season ticket sales. 

Will this be a bit like a Tomlin situation, whereby he has a great entertaining loan and the board gets massive support for spending a lot on him?

Anyway, let’s hope he can do the biz and put us in the mix till the end of the season.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

So…your logic here is that Twine might be the one player that makes everything click - and I have no objection to that, he might be. But we aren’t making the playoffs. And if he is, and causes us to markedly improve, we either lose the catalyst and need to find another, or pay through the nose. Thats what’s being said here - it makes no sense on the terms we have agreed, as it brings us no further forward and we pay a loan fee for it. Your post just confirms that point.

And you might want to read posts a bit more closely next time….

Or it sets us up for a better negotiating position on other players who are more reluctant to join a side that's mid table every year, or maybe Burnley aren't relegated and he's still not in favour there.

Or, or, or...

There's a hundred different possibilities, just like there's several different ways his arrival can be positive for the team- allowing Knight to play a bit further back, etc.

Player to not block the pathway for, Murphy?

But as usual you just focus on negatives where Manning is concerned.

My logic is that I'm not writing off the season with us 4 points off the playoffs and 19 games to go, you patronising ***.

And my reading is perfectly fine, seen enough of your non stop criticisms to know what you're about.

Edited by transfer reader
  • Like 7

But i thought the price being quoted for Twine was 5Mil? , the sages on here have been saying that's far to much.

So if that is the fee then having him here on loan and giving us some exciting moments (rare i know) is a bad thing?

Leaving all the politics out of it i for one is looking forward to see him play in a red shirt.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

sign a good player that we’ve been crying out for and a large majority are against it…no one apart from the clubs know the ins and outs of the deal. Just see what happens in the future. 

I'm not sure a large majority are AGAINST it but do have concerns about how this moves us forward longer term. If the kid starts running games and we get to the play-offs then magic. If not and we send him back to Burnley or pay £5m for him instead of £2.8m then people are entitled to ask what that achieved in the overall plan. Otherwise shut the place down and nobody comment on anything.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Loan, with no option to buy?

The Wise Men must have a cunning plan that involves a charge for promotion.  The remainder of this transfer window is going to be a ‘splash the cash’ fest then!

Only way this deal makes any sense.

Exactly how I see it. If there are another couple of decent players coming in with twine and the combined improvement from all three give us a genuine shot at top 6 then fair enough.

if the board are spending decent money on this loan simply to try and get manning to finish as high as possible to save face then I give up. I can’t see how twine alone (decent as he is) will improve us sufficiently to get us top 6.

• Like 4

I remember just over a year ago Tinnion sat there nodding along next to Richard Gould as Gould explained why loans for Championship clubs from Premier League clubs was such a huge waste of time and money. In fact he even chipped in at one point asking the fans in the crowd to name just how many successful loans from the Premier League we'd had as a club? The crowd was rather struggling as after the absolute tap in shouts of Caulker and Abraham someone had to go back 30 years to name Andy Cole. 

What happened Brian?

Just an aside, and no doubt I'll be accused of not moving on or something, but Gould made the case against expensive PL loans and explained perfectly why it isn't beneficial to us as a club. Won't ever stop the utterly simpleton shouts of NiGe DiDnT lIkE LoAnS!!! though..

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

What is the point of this :

- he does well then Burnley want him back and he plays for them in the champ!!!

- he does well and Burnley want to sell bigger clubs come in and pay bigger wages!!!!

- he ain’t taking us up we’ve had 3 shots in 3 games!!!

Careful posting your opinions mate. 

You'll get loads of them jumping on you because you're not toeing the party line and when you present them with facts, they'll get personal with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

The loan market used correctly get teams promoted, Nigel Pearson is an idiot for not using it.

Scott twine will play how Manning wants and this in turn will get us playing better. 

Would people rather we signed some no mark from league 1 instead just because he's ours? 

If you had any grey matter and bothered to listen you might have learnt why NP didn’t want loans here for the majority of his time here

Big ask for you I know in amongst your serial bed wetting

NP an idiot ...coming from you....... priceless 😂

• Like 8

I can't believe how unreasonable our fans are! They are completely overreacting to Twine's signing. He is a quality player for us, but they are throwing a tantrum about it.

We complain about lack of progression, but then we complain when we sign players who will help us improve, just because we don't have an option to buy. I have never seen the fans make such a fuss about not having the option to buy before. It makes no sense.

Maybe other options are not available, so we have gone with the best option to cover us until the summer? I am fed up with our supporters getting hysterical at every turn. It's like the Lansdowns have come into your house and taken your money for this signing.

I am really sick of our whiny entitled supporters. We sound like spoiled kids who are angry because they didn't get a game with their PlayStation 5.

d

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

God this forum has the most miserable bunch of angry ***** I have ever seen , just signed a decent player for our football team, and it implodes 

Get some perspective and a f••••g life 

ok, you want some perspective???

If it was a loan to buy, then I’d be celebrating, but the only real beneficiaries under this deal are Burnley.  We’ll be paying his wages, probably with a loan fee on top and just keeping him warm for them until next season.  

Whoopie for them!

• Facepalm 1

Not inclined to be optimistic with JL/BT at the helm, as signs of planning strategically tend to be few and far between, but…

- LM’s worked with him before, during each of their’s most successful spell (admittedly League One)

- could be the unlock for Tommy. Twine’s a very different player to Scott, but I’m still of the view that all Tommy needs is decent chances, and Twine could be the person to deliver them

- not ideal having no option to buy, but maybe the house view is Murphy just needs fitness and then he’ll be ready to go, so Twine bridges the gap

- there maybe lots of teams between us and 6th, but 4 points means a decent run will get us there, so don’t think going for it (at least a bit) is a terrible idea (not excusing the decision making that’s led us here)

None of the above unpicks poor decision making over many years, or offers any guarantees, but for me means it’s not a ludicrous/terrible deal (or one to cartwheel about, 7/10-ish). 

Edited by The Swan and Cemetery
  • Like 3

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

If you had any grey matter and bothered to listen you might have learnt why NP didn’t want loans here for the majority of his time here

Big ask for you I know in amongst your serial bed wetting

NP an idiot ...coming from you....... priceless 😂

I know why he didn't like them or want them. He's wrong.

• Facepalm 2

Just when I naively thought Lansdown was going to really back the Manager and team. Personally disappointed but should not have been, its other clubs who have owners with ambition. The added sickner being the better he does will reduce the already slim chances we have of signing him. Cannot see any benefit in him becoming an integral part of the team knowing we will lose him at the end of the season and having to start all over again to recruit a replacement.Let's see how they balls  up signing a striker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

What if the option was this for 5 months and push for the play offs or consolidate and sign someone from league 1 for a mill and gamble on him being any good.

I know which id rather go for 

Push for the playoffs?

As has been pointed out, we’re 14th, there are loads of sides much better placed & Coventry in 6th place are not only 4 points & a vastly superior goal difference ahead, but also on a truly incredible run of form (won 7 drawn 3, lost just 1 of their last 11 league games).

There’s absolutely no chance we will make up the 9 points to fifth or 15 (!) points to fourth.

Come back in May & let’s see how that goes, eh?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

“Pretty much everyone” didn’t.

Signing players on loan like TGH makes sense, try before you buy with a fee agreed.

Borrowing a player you have no control over signing makes much less sense.

6th place is in my opinion already highly unlikely, 5th & above? No chance.

If we’d signed him in the same way as TGH I would have understood it, but not this.

The Chuckle brothers strike again.

Agree that option to buy was essential.  However, in reality have we not just swapped Twine for Weimann for 6 months. Weimann was going to be sat on sidelines and leave and we get a ready to go player who will get games.  Not naively suggesting Twine isn’t dearer but hopefully could help spark some entertainment which has been sparse recently.

As a squad we haven’t added to depth which is as you know my big issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transfer reader said:

5 mil "too much"

No signings = no ambition.

Loan signing made, and no obligation to pay 5 mil "what a pointless signing"

There's people on here who want to be upset about everything.

I can see you're new here , welcome and get used to it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost Rider said:

I can't believe how unreasonable our fans are! They are completely overreacting to Twine's signing. He is a quality player for us, but they are throwing a tantrum about it.

We complain about lack of progression, but then we complain when we sign players who will help us improve, just because we don't have an option to buy. I have never seen the fans make such a fuss about not having the option to buy before. It makes no sense.

Maybe other options are not available, so we have gone with the best option to cover us until the summer? I am fed up with our supporters getting hysterical at every turn. It's like the Lansdowns have come into your house and taken your money for this signing.

I am really sick of our whiny entitled supporters. We sound like spoiled kids who are angry because they didn't get a game with their PlayStation 5.

d

I think a subforum devoted to woe is me is needed, 

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I remember just over a year ago Tinnion sat there nodding along next to Richard Gould as Gould explained why loans for Championship clubs from Premier League clubs was such a huge waste of time and money. In fact he even chipped in at one point asking the fans in the crowd to name just how many successful loans from the Premier League we'd had as a club? The crowd was rather struggling as after the absolute tap in shouts of Caulker and Abraham someone had to go back 30 years to name Andy Cole. 

What happened Brian?

Just an aside, and no doubt I'll be accused of not moving on or something, but Gould made the case against expensive PL loans and explained perfectly why it isn't beneficial to us as a club. Won't ever stop the utterly simpleton shouts of NiGe DiDnT lIkE LoAnS!!! though..

So loans work for everyone else, but because this club has a poor history of loaning players we shouldn’t ever do it again?

Just trying to see what one point you’re making through the rest of the mess.

• Like 1

Or it sets us up for a better negotiating position on other players who are more reluctant to join a side that's mid table every year, or maybe Burnley aren't relegated and he's still not in favour there.

Or, or, or...

There's a hundred different possibilities, just like there's several different ways his arrival can be positive for the team- allowing Knight to play a bit further back, etc.

But as usual you just focus on negatives where Manning is concerned.

Jesus, this is hard work.

Nobody is saying that his signing might not be positive for the team in the short term. But I don’t think you’re daft enough to think it gets us promotion, and one loan signing doesn’t move the dial on other players. 

Its not about whether he improves the side in the short term (likely opinion he does), its about what sense this signing makes considering our position now, the time that LM is stated to need, the lack of an oven ready academy player at the end of the loan and the fact the player is a known quantity.

You seem to think you’re a bright bloke. Surely you must look at all those factors and think “Yeah there’s a point there”, but instead you’ve decided that because I’ve expressed doubts over LM then it can’t be valid. Hint sweetheart- lots of other people on the thread who haven’t expressed doubts over LM are saying the same thing….

• Like 1

'Loan with a view to signing' and 'Loan with an agreed fee' a la TGH are very different deals, and we don't know if this isn't the former. All we do know is there's no agreed fee.

I would hope / imagine we would be talking figures with Burnley if we wanted to progress this to a permanent transfer in the summer.

5 mil "too much"

No signings = no ambition.

Loan signing made, and no obligation to pay 5 mil "what a pointless signing"

There's people on here who want to be upset about everything.

There are some people who want to be upset about everything as you say, others who question the circumstances behind everything before agreeing/disagreeing and others who want to accept everything without question. Sounds like a typical cross section of the population to me?

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nope, because if I’d have been there is no way we’d have done the deal.

I believe Liam said that loans have their place if, for example, there is an academy player who may be ready shortly and you don’t want to block the pathway. Unless we have the next Scott Twine in six months this isn’t that.

So, Liam, bearing in mind you know the player so don’t need a try before you buy, bearing in mind we need time for you to build so this can’t be a signing to get us over the line, can you explain how this loan fits in with any kind of logic?

I don’t think it’s fair to bring Manning into the conversation in this particular way. 
LM clearly knows what Twine can do and he wants him. It’s not up to LM to conduct the financial side of the deal. 
LM says to BT - I want Twine. 
BT and assorted members of the board have to go and do the deal. 
The fact it’s a loan without an option is 100% the responsibility of BT. LM is not part of that conversation. 
LM doesn’t need a “try before you buy”. He knows the kid inside out. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 6