IGNORED

SL Speaks

Silvio Dante

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Isn’t he! ?

Nothing owed.

And Brighton too.

I bloody hope not.  I do fear for Nige / RG (Now PA’s) rebuild / plan will get us to a really good position, then we will throw it in the bin.

Yes, decision making/focus/clarity of thought  - it worries me that we won't be able to steer a steady course to keep on our current bearing..

12 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

He deserves praise for a lot of things he’s done but also deserves criticism for a lot he’s got horribly wrong, I’ve got a nasty feeling he’ll get rid of nige without properly backing him, he’ll then chuck aload of money at his new yes man 

He has continually backed him particularly when NP could of had no complaints about being sacked

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mozo said:

He says we've got a great stadium, fantastic training facilities, strong squad with experienced players...

He forgot to mention a top manager ? I can never shake the feeling that he doesn't like Nige, albeit that is only based on that one strange and unnecessary comment a while ago about them not always seeing eye to eye, but also just my estimation of their very contrasting, probably conflicting, personalities.

Think it’s fair to say he doesn’t like being questioned. Let’s be honest he couldn’t wait to sack cotts . Millen, tinnion (at the time) Johnson , Holden we’re never going to Rock the boat . 

• Like 1

If a manager with a proven pedigree gets us to the Premier League, then said manager will get the credit for it, not Stephen Lansdown.

That's why he only throws his money at novices and projects, and only gets decent managers in to get him out of the s***.

That's the bottom line.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

Yep. It's Luton now, was Brentford a couple of yesrs ago. Work out what's best for us (Nige will tell you) and crack on with it.

The idea of highlighting these now regular "outliers" is not to say just copy Brentford, Huddersfield, Luton, it is to keep alive the idea that (almost) anything is possible. Even in this division. 

3 hours ago, mozo said:

He says we've got a great stadium, fantastic training facilities, strong squad with experienced players...

He forgot to mention a top manager ? I can never shake the feeling that he doesn't like Nige, albeit that is only based on that one strange and unnecessary comment a while ago about them not always seeing eye to eye, but also just my estimation of their very contrasting, probably conflicting, personalities.

He says the same all the time. I thought it was poor of him to say we have a better squad than Luton. Does he realise how powerful and driven Luton were as a team, they deserved to go up and were in play offs season before. Again as I’ve said before, you get the feeling not a lot of love for the manager. If we aren’t in and around it October/November don’t be surprised if he makes a change. 

• Like 1

I think it's perfectly fair to say he has totally revamped our club, modernised every part of it, overseen some exciting times and near success, and leaves with a legacy of progress.

At the same, he's a bit odd, not the best judge of character, has made questionable appointments and has had awkward relationships with them. He's pretty shocking at PR, particularly bonding with fans.

So, some really important positives, but also a few criticisms.

I chatted to him over a beer once and found him to be a curious chap.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I didn't like the sound of that.

I mean the stuff about Parachute Payments isn't necessarily wrong, but to talk of not even reinvesting a chunk, although maybe the full interview will give more context and sounds a bit like the trading model unless I'm mistaken??

Don't think NP will like the sound of this either- which is much more important.

I didn’t like the sound of his comments either. Almost suggested the Alex Scott money would be put to one side -  ‘nest egg’ he stated. If he thinks our current squad is going to compete at the top end he’s frankly delusional.

I’ve got masses of respect for Steve but he doesn’t understand football. And his comments about our squad being far more talented than Luton’s last season was just not correct. 

I am slightly worried. 

I think these days he talks about the club with more detachment and coldness, not sure this is even a bad thing though if the club is ran on a sound business plan rather than one man's ego to get praise through football success. If we were slashing the budget compared to other championship clubs or something then I could understand criticism however the beating he is taking here is a massive overreaction in my view. Talking about biding time when competing with parachute clubs may not be what we want to hear but its true and the throwaway comment he made about Luton has been completely misinterpreted I think. I doubt NP would have batted an eyelid at any of what was said because its pretty much more of the same.

19 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Didn’t Pearson go 16 home games without a win?

No, iirc that was a combination of Holden and Pearson and the injury list for several months of that run was beyond a joke.

Morale was also on the floor when NP arrived but it was just a hoodoo, didn't always play that terribly during it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Not sure if it’s just me but I didn’t interpret the clip like there were no funds to spend, he mentions that we’re always scouting and recruiting but it seemed to try and manage expectations, in the way that we’ve received £25m but we’re not going to go on a massive spending spree to sign £25m worth of players as some may have hoped.

In an ideal world, we’ll spend somewhere between £3m and £10m on strengthening and save the rest which will allow us to spend in future.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

he does say (paraphrased) “investing in players and developing players” but I don’t know if investing in players means buying players?

⬇️⬇️⬇️

This is my point from posts over the past few days.

The Luton thing pisses me off.  He’s now looking at another football model to benchmark against.

I’m sorry, thanks for all your money Steve, but appoint the right football people and let them get on with it.

Have to agree. starting to get fed up with Lansdown interviews. Sounds as if he ain’t too keen on Nige.
SL appears happy to float around in the Championship for a few years in the hope of a “Luton style” season coming along. Very underwhelmed at that. Mate of mine worked for Hargreaves Lansdown, and said that Hargreaves was the brains behind the biz. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Have to agree. starting to get fed up with Lansdown interviews. Sounds as if he ain’t too keen on Nige.
SL appears happy to float around in the Championship for a few years in the hope of a “Luton style” season coming along. Very underwhelmed at that. Mate of mine worked for Hargreaves Lansdown, and said that Hargreaves was the brains behind the biz. 

Why on earth do think that statement indicates that?

So far Nige has fulfilled his remit by developing a squad with a blend of youth and experience which has been a long standing desire of SL. No reason for SL to be unhappy with that as he was with SC.

Nige has also created a healthy culture throughout the entire club with the entire staff signing off the same hymn sheet - no reason for SL to be unhappy with that either - assuming he knew just how low morale had fallen under Ashton and LJ.

The final and most important part of his remit is to get City into the Promised Land - SLs ultimate wish - 4 points from the first two Championship games is a promising start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fisherrich said:

He’s a bit crass / uneducated (football wise) imho.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s a bit crass / uneducated (football wise) imho.

SL by his own admission doesn’t have a deep knowledge of the beautiful game. I doubt he could discuss shapes, formations or tactics.

His expertise is financial acumen and he’s done pretty well out of it.