IGNORED

SL Speaks

Silvio Dante

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Emoji’s can say as much as words……….:cool2:

Can they though? 

Explain how a teary face relates to my comment that some people enjoy their roles and would rather not “employ people to do it for them”. 

I know it’s difficult for you to actually engage properly, maybe it’s an age thing, or boredom, but at least try. 

• Like 2

On 12/08/2023 at 23:17, mozo said:

Just because Mark Ashton's name has come up a lot on this thread I'll post this controversial and undoubtedly unpopular question here...

Are Ashton and Rolls doing a good job at Ipswich Town?

They joined the club when it was mid table league 1, and now they're in a 100% record in the Championship and won in the League Cup too (albeit against some lower league dog dirt club).

I appreciate that the financial investment fuelled the success, but Ashton was in part responsible for brokering the investment, and then oversaw the spend. Did he also recruit a new manager? And Rolls has had to keep the squad fit. Has he done so?

The pair were treated with derision and contempt when they left, but a lot of snide comments about how Ipswich will regret these appointments seem to have been misplaced. Ipswich look in a pretty good place right now?

Just playing devil's advocate!!!

Ipswich have unquestionably fared better, on their return to the Championship, than we did in 2015. As have Plymouth. We were a bloody shambles that summer and start to life back at this level, and embarrassment. 

If Ashton had been here summer 2015 .....

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, The Journalist said:

There’s a simple explanation for the lack of credit for Pearson… that would be to admit mistakes were made in the first place.

Goal Target GIF by Drawify

Mind you, he could say what a great job the coaching staff are doing at developing our young players - how many Academy lads has Pearson given a debut to?

But even that seems beyond Lansdown or Jon Boy.  Perhaps the new CEO might like to say a few words?

The silence is deafening. And ominous, for Pearson supporters.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 11

19 hours ago, fisherrich said:

Is Lansdown more interested in the rugby than the football?

Not this week, no. But any week where we lose, or don't win, perhaps the only exception being a draw away from home somewhere miles away where we rescue a point with an equaliser (late on) rather than "throw away two plints" from being ahead, he definitely likes the rugby more than us.

Have to say a little conflicted on SL and this.

On one hand who can argue with a relative self-suffiency or attempts in this direction.

Otoh you won't tend to achieve it in the Championship. Clearly we can't spend his money for him but if wages and fees are recovering, if some clubs as @Davefevs mentioned elsewhere on the forum before are starting to spend next years increase in T.V. money already surely something has to give, even if it's bigger wages to some of our Academy stars that we clearly want to retain who are out of contract in 2024 and 2025.

Would we increase the budget in line with TV money rises as and when they arise. Are in some way waiting for:

A) A solution to the Parachute v Solidarity Payment chasm

B) The new 90-80-70 sliding scale to kick in.

C) Some combination of the above.

Or has SL reached a point where isn't so keen to fund cash losses and equity Upper Loss Limit irrespective of regulation?

If it's A-C, we'll be waiting a while.

If it's the 2nd, can't see NP liking that, not a lot of hope for the fans either.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

So, to summarise everything I've read...

SL makes ALL the decisions, unless they relate to the kit, in which case it must be Jon.

We have had a secession of CEOs who aren't able to make decisions because SL makes them all, but we all have favourites because some of the decisions they didn't make were better than some of the other decisions they couldn't make.

SL should have been taxed more so he could have underwritten the cost of some dubious PPE.

Despite his personal investment of a guesstimated £200mil, the funding isn't in all the right areas.

And whilst he has never criticised NP, he clearly doesn't like him. 

A football man is needed, because I'm sure most proven football managers don't want the autonomy to do their thing, instead having someone looking over their shoulder all the time.

NP says the fees and payment quoted for AS isn't as reported, so whilst this could be good news, and casting fog over the situation to depress quoted prices, it must be bad news.

Anything else missed? (Apart from promotion)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

B) The new 90-80-70 sliding scale to kick in.

This is clearly where the club are moving to.  Pearson has been abundantly clear that there is an agreed wage budget and that needs to be adhered to.  It is also clear that we are not in the market for 'marque' signings or any large transfer fees.

If you look at Group turnover that is say £30 million in 2022, half of which is football income and the rest commercial income.  Assuming a profit of 1/3 on the commercial income gives you a starting point for any SCMP rules of £20 million, 70% of which is £14 million plus say £10 million SL contribution takes you to £24 million to cover salaries and the net cash flow out on transfer fees.  That to me is entirely possible, especially as the current SCMP wages exclude everyone aged 20 or under at the start of the season.  But you will be looking at transfer fees out of only a few million a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Hxj said:

This is clearly where the club are moving to.  Pearson has been abundantly clear that there is an agreed wage budget and that needs to be adhered to.  It is also clear that we are not in the market for 'marque' signings or any large transfer fees.

If you look at Group turnover that is say £30 million in 2022, half of which is football income and the rest commercial income.  Assuming a profit of 1/3 on the commercial income gives you a starting point for any SCMP rules of £20 million, 70% of which is £14 million plus say £10 million SL contribution takes you to £24 million to cover salaries and the net cash flow out on transfer fees.  That to me is entirely possible, especially as the current SCMP wages exclude everyone aged 20 or under at the start of the season.  But you will be looking at transfer fees out of only a few million a year.

This certainly feels likely yep. Is a bit disappointing even if I totally get it.

My thinking was based on the bits I read a while back simply:

Revenue, then football wages, player amortisation and agents fees not exceeding 70 percent eventually..

..With the relevant income also including instalments of transfers ie sales

Outbound

£20m Football Wages

Less say £1m in Under 20s

£2-3m Player amortisation

£1-1.5m Agents fees...

...Partially offset by £4-5m in Transfer instalments.

£34-35m and all relevant expenditure must not exceed 70 percent.

Many clubs will be well in excess of this at present I'm sure of it. If the rule was in right now, how many Championship clubs pass?

I assume nothing will come in until thete is agreement between PL and EFL, which in time will remain in stasis until such time as the TV distribution issue finally sorted and especially Parachute Payments.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just listened the the footie bit of it.

Besides my usual moan of not really giving any credit to Nige, plus the previously mentioned crass comment re Luton, I thought it was a bit of nothingness, perhaps with an undertone of don’t expect loads of signings. He said we pre-empted some of Scott’s money in the summer.

He did say we are always scouting, recruiting, developing our own players, so I think it’s just a case of continue what we are doing.  If the right player is out there (young, ones we can improve / add value) I think we’d do it, hence the Thomason bid.  Whether Willock (if true) falls into that scope I don’t know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just listened the the footie bit of it.

Besides my usual moan of not really giving any credit to Nige, plus the previously mentioned crass comment re Luton, I thought it was a bit of nothingness, perhaps with an undertone of don’t expect loads of signings. He said we pre-empted some of Scott’s money in the summer.

He did say we are always scouting, recruiting, developing our own players, so I think it’s just a case of continue what we are doing.  If the right player is out there (young, ones we can improve / add value) I think we’d do it, hence the Thomason bid.  Whether Willock (if true) falls into that scope I don’t know.

Same here Dave, I have just listened to the one question at the beginning which seemed to repeat 3 times, but I think people who want to believe that SL is the antichrist are reading far too much into "if's, buts and maybes" Nowhere does he say we HAVE TO sell £25m of talent every year as I have seen others quoting, and nowhere does he say we have to follow the Luton methodology, only that we fall into their category of club financially in comparison to the parachute payment clubs.

The only thing that worries me is that he doesn't look well there, I don't know when he bought that shirt but he looks like Harry Hill the collar is so large on him. He's lost a lot weight by the look of it.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Nowhere does he say we HAVE TO sell £25m of talent every year as I have seen others quoting, and nowhere does he say we have to follow the Luton methodology

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think he was saying we have to sell players for £25m every season, but he said that it's great if we do?

• Like 2

Hi Steve if you are reading this, Luton didn’t “get lucky”, that’s a crazy statement and a sign of someone who doesn’t get it. They built steadily with manager(s) and scouts that stuck to a plan, and then crucially when they were in sight of the promised land held on to their talent to get them over the line. 

could it be that rather then luck, you give the current staff a pat on the back and give them as much as you can to get us where we want to be.

luck, and hope, aren’t strategies 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Hi Steve if you are reading this, Luton didn’t “get lucky”, that’s a crazy statement and a sign of someone who doesn’t get it. They built steadily with manager(s) and scouts that stuck to a plan, and then crucially when they were in sight of the promised land held on to their talent to get them over the line. 

could it be that rather then luck, you give the current staff a pat on the back and give them as much as you can to get us where we want to be.

I personally believe that Nathan Jones leaving and Rob Edwards’s taking over gave them a slightly different dimension which helped them gain promotion. Just my opinion of course 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Luton lost their POTY to us, however I agree luck it wasn't although an element of going up at the profit time perhaps. They went again, pushed on and all credit to them, but would they have been able to do so again had they not gone up last season.

They also lost their  manager mid season, who also took Bree with him but strengthened quite well too.

Cornick they sold but he was in and out by middle of last season.

21 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

There is an element of luck with every promotion, all the stars have to align, players hitting form, staying injury free, the Manager making in game decisions that work. He's not saying they are there purely because they got lucky, but there is an element of that to it.

I remember games in our "double winning season" when we didn't look on form, but we won because of an error by an opposing player, a poor refereeing decision, or some other "lucky event". How often do you hear people talk about how your luck changes at either end of the table?

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2

I thought it was interesting that SL dealt with the Scott transfer and not our CEO.  Saying he doesn't usually do it, but because it was such a large sum of money...

Also that we have spent already some of the fee...before the sale, pre emptying the sale. 

Also that we are going to stick with our present system of giving pathways into the first team from the Academy. 

My question with that...Is if we were to gain promotion...would that continue. 

• Like 2