IGNORED

Strength up front

Topper 123

3 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Mr lansdown it’s time you loosened the purse strings and allowed for a major signing up front,a forward who can hold the ball up and bring players in , a strong mobile forward who is a threat to other teams , we are one injury or suspension away from playing with a makeshift front line , poor Sam bell isn’t strong enough for the front line , Nahki wells get withdrawn after 60 minutes whatever he does ? We haven’t had a striker since big Dave so come on speculate to accumulate,Luton town did ok with a big man up top 

Last time people were talking like you- Steve brought in Ashton to sort it out.

Football fans seem to have the memory of a goldfish.

Meanwhile Cornick is increasingly showing why he was signed, Bell needs time in the team and deserves his chance, Weimann will be back in days , Wells is good enough and Conway will recover soon enough whilst Yeboah is another welcome addition and well done to Pearson & team for edging him in. Personally I can't see a new forward as being anything other than unnecessary at this moment.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

So we go back to long ball to a big striker who will be marked by two defenders of a similar size.

Pearson prefers pace from his players to outwit and outrun defensive lumps.

We’ll times have changed matey “ defensive lumps” are now athletes and move and turn just as quick as forwards and nobody is suggesting go long but at times it may be an option , haven’t our 2 league goals been going long ie long throws 

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, TheReds said:

Who do you want him to go and get?

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Through the middle think we're okay fitness permitting.

Conway, Wells and Weimann that's 3 good central options to choose from, with some different attributes, youth v experience etc.

Granted Conway is out for 3 months and Weimann well when is he back.

Thing is could be Christmas before Conway back and weimann has been a great servant but hasn’t got the legs anymore 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

How much do you suggest we spend? What about lack of depth at centre back?

And by loosening purse strings do you mean lansdown put more then the 150 odd million he's already put in?

Is that in player investment or buildings and infrastructure because I believe we’ve taken more money in transfers than we’ve spent ,so yes invest a little bit more in recruitment but the right recruitment not some of the dross we’ve wasted money on . Maybe a couple of loans with the options?

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

How much do you suggest we spend? What about lack of depth at centre back?

And by loosening purse strings do you mean lansdown put more then the 150 odd million he's already put in?

I think in the last 7 years ? It’s something like outgoings £125 million and incomings £78 million only going by Google transfer market usings tools available to check so yeh a shift of about + £40 odd million so yes I’d like a bit more player investment of quality 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Magger1 said:

Thing is could be Christmas before Conway back and weimann has been a great servant but hasn’t got the legs anymore 

What evidence do you have for this?

37 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

I think in the last 7 years ? It’s something like outgoings £125 million and incomings £78 million only going by Google transfer market usings tools available to check so yeh a shift of about + £40 odd million so yes I’d like a bit more player investment of quality 

Uhhhhm ..... and what about salaries of the players bought and sold?

That "£40M shift" is not profit BTW. It's been MORE than consumed in salaries in that period, probably a few times over.

You do realise that without sales of Semenyo (and Soctt) we would have quite likely been facing a points deduction and having a transfer embargo about now?

Edited by cityal
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cityal said:

That "£40M shift" is not profit BTW. It's been MORE than consumed in salaries in that period, probably a few times over.

You do realise that without sales of Semenyo (and Soctt) we would have quite likely been facing a points deduction and having a transfer embargo about now?

Maybe not so much Scott but Semenyo quite possibly so yes.

8 hours ago, Magger1 said:

:laugh: Anyway what ever I’m sure players chosen will give us 100%  commitment and let’s look forward to more shots than we’ve had in our first 2 games in league (3) and a bit more of that pace and skill that Pearson loves to see ( and us )

We had 14 shots on Saturday? Millwall setup very defensively so we done more than ok against them imo, Preston done a good job on us and to me it wasn't the strikers fault we didn't have more shots. 

So who do you want us to go for, and how much should we spend?

• Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe not so much Scott but Semenyo quite possibly so yes.

I wonder if a short term loan deal for Semenyo would be out of the question come deadline day , he’s hardly settled in the Bournemouth team is he had a whole pre-season for the new manager to take a look, we loanedTomlin originally when he was a new signing for them would be similar 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

We had 14 shots on Saturday? Millwall setup very defensively so we done more than ok against them imo, Preston done a good job on us and to me it wasn't the strikers fault we didn't have more shots. 

So who do you want us to go for, and how much should we spend?

Yep, opposition style comes into too…Millwall had the 5th best defence (goals conceded) last season.  They are a tough nut to crack.

10 hours ago, cityal said:

Yes salaries are a hit BUT most of the big earners are off the wage bill those that stayed are now on reduced and the players that have been brought in are not on big salaries - the wage bill has been massively reduced but every club has wage bills to deal with not just city 

1 minute ago, TheReds said:

It seems to be a pointless task on here sometimes pointing out reality and facts..

Again @Magger1 who should we go for and how much should we spend?

Again REDS I’m not privy to the sort of information that points me in the direction of players available or a what price but that’s the sort of reply I’d expect from a doughnut on here 

23 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

I wonder if a short term loan deal for Semenyo would be out of the question come deadline day , he’s hardly settled in the Bournemouth team is he had a whole pre-season for the new manager to take a look, we loanedTomlin originally when he was a new signing for them would be similar 

Came off the bench Saturday and helped set up their equaliser..

Friend who supports Bournekurh told me a little while ago he's settling in quite nicely and a full pre-season would help him. That said football moves fast and they have varied options up front and out wide.

16 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Mr lansdown it’s time you loosened the purse strings and allowed for a major signing up front,a forward who can hold the ball up and bring players in , a strong mobile forward who is a threat to other teams , we are one injury or suspension away from playing with a makeshift front line , poor Sam bell isn’t strong enough for the front line , Nahki wells get withdrawn after 60 minutes whatever he does ? We haven’t had a striker since big Dave so come on speculate to accumulate,Luton town did ok with a big man up top 

I hear that Haaland lad's pretty handy

• Robin 1

30 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Again REDS I’m not privy to the sort of information that points me in the direction of players available or a what price but that’s the sort of reply I’d expect from a doughnut on here 

Ah resort to the old insults. You haven't made a good point yet, and have even been disingenuous with the stats of one shot against Millwall, I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

You are the one asking Lansdown to loosen the purse strings not me. I am sure you have some sort idea who you want and at what cost, and what they would bring to the team, or you are just asking a stupid question in the first place. You don't need to be privy to any information.

I guess you'd be happy with a 50k purchase from non league as long as it's a big man? If not, then who would you go after? It really is just a straightforward question.

Blimey....Magger1 just came up with a perfectly reasonable suggestion, albeit not worded particularly well, and he has been met with a tirade of criticism and abuse from some who have clearly woken up this morning spoiling for an argument.

Like us, he's a City fan who wants them to do well and felt that a big striker may be the option.

To be honest, if it were a big target man but with good feet skills, it may be worth a punt.

And it's up to personnel at the club to decide if they want to take this route and who to target and how much to spend...that's what they are paid to do.

• Like 2