IGNORED

Strength up front

Topper 123

Mr lansdown it’s time you loosened the purse strings and allowed for a major signing up front,a forward who can hold the ball up and bring players in , a strong mobile forward who is a threat to other teams , we are one injury or suspension away from playing with a makeshift front line , poor Sam bell isn’t strong enough for the front line , Nahki wells get withdrawn after 60 minutes whatever he does ? We haven’t had a striker since big Dave so come on speculate to accumulate,Luton town did ok with a big man up top 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Mr lansdown it’s time you loosened the purse strings and allowed for a major signing up front,a forward who can hold the ball up and bring players in , a strong mobile forward who is a threat to other teams , we are one injury or suspension away from playing with a makeshift front line , poor Sam bell isn’t strong enough for the front line , Nahki wells get withdrawn after 60 minutes whatever he does ? We haven’t had a striker since big Dave so come on speculate to accumulate,Luton town did ok with a big man up top 

We need a striker but not necessarily a big man 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Who do you want him to go and get?

I'm old enough to remember in the 60's /early 70's the fad for the "Twin Spearhead".......two big powerful guys, great in the air, no slouches on the ground, players like Ron and Wyn Davies (Wales) ,Ron Davies/ Martin Chivers (Soton), John O'hare/Kevin Hector (Derby) and even (to a lesser extent) our own John Atyeo/Brian Clark, oh ,and Hull's Ken Wagstaff and Chris Chilton.I'm sure many olduns  could rattle off a few more, and I won't even mention Geoff Bradford and Alfie Biggs !

• Haha 1

If Sam Bell played every game this season I reckon he could get at least 10-15 goals. 

If Nahki Wells played every game this season I reckon he could get 15-20 goals 

If Tommy Conway played every game this season (he now won't) I reckon he could get 20+ goals. 

Weimann got 22 goals a couple of seasons ago. Cornick is still a guess, but could have 10 in him. Yeboah looks exciting too. 

That's before you add in the likes of Mehmeti and Sykes. 

We haven't yet clicked up front in the first TWO LEAGUE GAMES!! And we scored five in the cup.

Given the apparent lack of wiggle room regarding the wage budget, I don't think that an additional striker is or should be a priority.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, desert said:

We needed presence up front yesterday - the lack of it was why we dominated but didn’t look dangerous. Nakhi was ok but Bell too lightweight by far. We can’t go numerous months without a good option to Nakhi and expect to challenge IMHO

We know Conway is out but Weimann if fit seems a good option through the middle as far as competing with Wells?

He wasn't supposed to be out for long iirc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I’ll happily settle for the senior 5 forwards we currently have, ta.

Tommy Conway, Nahki Wells, Harry Cornick, Sam Bell and Andi Weimann, supplemented by those that play predominantly wide in Mark Sykes and Anis Mehmeti.

I’m pretty confident a “Big Dave” striker is not on our priority list.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

I’m 100% certain that Nige doesn’t agree - even with Conway injured he’s happy with the forward resources at the club and will not be approaching SL to fund  another striker ala SC.

There’s a new kid on the block Yeboah who’s been involved in recent matchday squads and has made a couple of cameo appearances. It’s likely he’ll be the next academy graduate to start a game in the Championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I'm old enough to remember in the 60's /early 70's the fad for the "Twin Spearhead".......two big powerful guys, great in the air, no slouches on the ground, players like Ron and Wyn Davies (Wales) ,Ron Davies/ Martin Chivers (Soton), John O'hare/Kevin Hector (Derby) and even (to a lesser extent) our own John Atyeo/Brian Clark, oh ,and Hull's Ken Wagstaff and Chris Chilton.I'm sure many olduns  could rattle off a few more, and I won't even mention Geoff Bradford and Alfie Biggs !

Our best pairing for goals over two seasons was Atyeo and Jimmy Rogers.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

A Prem loan would be ideal. Remember how Andrew Cole and Tammy Abraham were nobodies when we borrowed them, and they didn't do badly for us, or themselves.

Cole we signed permanently.

Abraham was when we were throwing £££s at the wall and hoping some would stick.

1 hour ago, desert said:

We needed presence up front yesterday - the lack of it was why we dominated but didn’t look dangerous. Nakhi was ok but Bell too lightweight by far. We can’t go numerous months without a good option to Nakhi and expect to challenge IMHO

Yes agree dominated the game but not many shots on target played some good stuff but finishing needs,improvement .

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Cole was on loan first though. Iirc

Correct. 

But we can't have an Andy Cole these days because we couldn't possibly afford to buy him. 

And iirc he wasn't the greatest influence in the dressing room (or locker rooms ?), which was why he was sold.

• Like 1

Won't happen. 

1) Wages, we're supposedly close to our wage cap and even if we weren't, to buy a player of that calibre that's proven is going to mean paying a wage much higher than any other player at the club is on which would then drive up what the other players expect. 

2) the Fee, even if we wanted a player of said calibre you'd be looking at half the Scott money, just look at Semenyo. We sold Semenyo for £10m,to buy a player equal or higher than his quality is going to cost the same and then you even have to find a player who fits the description. 

3) Signing the player, if the two above aren't enough, we then need to persuade the target to sign for us, a club who has only finished in the top half of the table twice since we got promoted back into the league. A team who from the outside is viewed as a small club in a big league, a club that despite all of its promise has yet to get into the Premier League. Strikers of the calibre that you're describing go to clubs likely to get promoted. 

So if we're realistic, we're not a big sell to accomplished players, we don't have a great hand when it comes to wages as our competitors can offer more and to top it off, if we're going to splash a big chunk of cash on a striker we're more than likely going to spend another few seasons trying to rebalance the books again. 

I think we need to face facts, Pearson is currently doing what the club needs, he's selling high, buying low and trying to improve the quality and depth of the squad as he does this, it's a big ask but it's what we need. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Magger1 said:

GIF by Groundhog Day

That ShaunTaylor chap will be along soon to suggest Kieffer Moore or Peter Crouch or someone 

• Haha 3