IGNORED

Here’s a question

Robbored

Watching the women’s WC England v Columbia Emma Hayes was co commentator and whist looking at Englands set up mentioned the ‘double pivot’……….That’s  not a term that I’m familiar with. She was just about explain when my phone rang and I missed her explanation………..

I know that there are a few football  enthusiasts on here so could someone explain please?

Just now, Robbored said:

Watching the women’s WC England v Columbia Emma Hayes was co commentator and whist looking at Englands set up mentioned the ‘double pivot’……….That’s  not a term that I’m familiar with. She was just about explain when my phone rang and I missed her explanation………..

I know that there are a few football  enthusiasts on here so could someone explain please?

It refers to having 2 midfielders in front of the defence usually in a 4-2-3-1 shape. So the play 'pivots' around those two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

England have used a formation of 3-4-1-2. England's intent is to play possession football and positionally, Two of the four ( Walsh and Stanway) are theoretically playing a withdrawn holding role acting as options to retain and release possession, linking up play in the second third of the pitch as pivots to play off and using positional passing patterns.

I would argue its not a double pivot. Stanway pushes up frequently. 

Edited by Cowshed

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It's like a pivot, but there's two of them.

• Haha 10
  • Flames 3

I think it was the first time the Commentator had heard of it too. Kept mentioning it for the rest of the game. 
Bit like that person who hears a word they like for the first time, then tries to drop it into every sentence for the rest of the day.

Screenshot2023-08-14at18_43_04.png.ffa7af82c4db1215f7de0194b3e3d185.png

Robbo Robbo Robbo it is all to easy.

When coming out of defence we move the ball square at all opportunities to confuse the opposition into thinking we know what we are doing and how we will progress and maybe achieve a box entry or two (double pivot). This involves the forward thrust of our midfield warriors as much as our forward line moving into positions of concern to the opposition opponents. Once done we can then play back into a relaxed midfield 8 and probe for a winner. Simple really

Edited by BigTone
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think it was the first time the Commentator had heard of it too. Kept mentioning it for the rest of the game. 
Bit like that person who hears a word they like for the first time, then tries to drop it into every sentence for the rest of the day.

Screenshot2023-08-14at18_43_04.png.ffa7af82c4db1215f7de0194b3e3d185.png

Like “proper manager”?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Robbo Robbo Robbo it is all to easy.

When coming out of defence we move the ball square at all opportunities to confuse the opposition into thinking we know what we are doing and how we will progress and maybe achieve a box entry or two (double pivot). This involves the forward thrust of our midfield warriors as much as our forward line moving into positions of concern to the opposition opponents. Once done we can then play back into a relaxed midfield 8 and probe for a winner. Simple really

If only Stanley Unwin could explain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

If only Stanley Unwin could explain.

Short version ...

"Now of course, like all real life experience stories
This also begins once a polly tito
And Happiness Stan, whose life evolved ne' ephemeral colour dreamy most
Had his pure existence and his being a deep joy of the multicolour of the rainbold
Oh yes, his home's a Victoriana charibold, this the four-wheel folloped ft-ft-ft out the backgrove
Now as Eaved and his deep approachey, his eye on the moon
All time some time deep joy of a full moon scintillating dangly in the heavenly bode, but now only half
"Oh, blow your cool, man!" he dood this deep thoughcus
"What is the folly of this half disappearing of the moony most?"
And as the light did a scintillating change through timely most
Stopped still, and he did a deep thoughcus, "What?"
Absolutely smashing flaked he was
So gathering all behind in the hintermost
He ploddy-ploddy forward into the deep fundemold of the complicading forry to sort this one out matey
"Where at, man?" He thoucus, "where at, man? Oh dear""

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

What I have  learn’t from the World Cup commentary is men’s team break and counter attack whereas women’s teams ‘transition’.

Pivot just seems a modern fancy term for defensive midfielder.

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Short version ...

"Now of course, like all real life experience stories
This also begins once a polly tito
And Happiness Stan, whose life evolved ne' ephemeral colour dreamy most
Had his pure existence and his being a deep joy of the multicolour of the rainbold
Oh yes, his home's a Victoriana charibold, this the four-wheel folloped ft-ft-ft out the backgrove
Now as Eaved and his deep approachey, his eye on the moon
All time some time deep joy of a full moon scintillating dangly in the heavenly bode, but now only half
"Oh, blow your cool, man!" he dood this deep thoughcus
"What is the folly of this half disappearing of the moony most?"
And as the light did a scintillating change through timely most
Stopped still, and he did a deep thoughcus, "What?"
Absolutely smashing flaked he was
So gathering all behind in the hintermost
He ploddy-ploddy forward into the deep fundemold of the complicading forry to sort this one out matey
"Where at, man?" He thoucus, "where at, man? Oh dear""

Brilliant! You’re obviously channelling the great man himself! Perfect! Younger fans would now be totally confused!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, glastored said:

Brilliant! You’re obviously channelling the great man himself! Perfect! Younger fans would now be totally confused!

I cheated a little copied and pasted from Small Faces lyrics ⬇️

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Not only younger fans confused ?

The man himself , part way through a track from Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake.

• Like 2