IGNORED

Bristol Live : Day 4

Marina's Rolls Royce

Congratulations to Bristol Live who are running the same headline page for the fourth day in a row. 'Live' being subjective in the case of Bristol Live

It appears that a transfer target who is no longer a transfer target is the biggest news event in over a year. 

I hadn't realised that this player (whose name I have already genuinely forgotten) was so incredibly important . Is this the end of the football world as we know it or has the entire BL staff gone on strike/holiday or simply can't think of a single alternative thing to write about?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Congratulations to Bristol Live who are running the same headline page for the fourth day in a row. 'Live' being subjective in the case of Bristol Live

It appears that a transfer target who is no longer a transfer target is the biggest news event in over a year. 

I hadn't realised that this player (whose name I have already genuinely forgotten) was so incredibly important . Is this the end of the football world as we know it or has the entire BL staff gone on strike/holiday or simply can't think of a single alternative thing to write about?

Yep.

Last updated on 12th August.

Seems like if Piercy is on his hols there's no one to take over.

Bit tinpot.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Which transfer target who is not now a transfer target should I ignore.

Normal state of confusion here ?

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep.

Last updated on 12th August.

Seems like if Piercy is on his hols there's no one to take over.

Bit tinpot.

I don’t know if he’s on hols, but Reach has cut resources significantly over the past few years.

Last season there was James as Sports Editor and Rich Forrester for City and another guy for Rovers.  That’s down to James City, new guy Rovers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t know if he’s on hols, but Reach has cut resources significantly over the past few years.

Last season there was James as Sports Editor and Rich Forrester for City and another guy for Rovers.  That’s down to James City, new guy Rovers.

I hope he is just on his hols.

Seems to be the best journalist we've had for City for a very long time and appears to get along with NP which may have opened some doors to him at City.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Like a lot here, I'll use twentymen or Latham as a yardstick, ask a honest question with no agenda, people Will respond 

Peter Godsiff was the local City journalist in my youth - can't imagine him going on holiday during the season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Poor old 'new guy (covering) Rovers', hard to imagine there's a more a depressing way for anyone to spend their time.

Presumably he has to constantly somehow try and make out there's something interesting about them. ?

Tough job, seemed to turn the last bloke a bit loopy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Poor old 'new guy (covering) Rovers', hard to imagine there's a more a depressing way for anyone to spend their time.

Presumably he has to constantly somehow try and make out there's something interesting about them. ?

Tough job, seemed to turn the last bloke a bit loopy.

Need not worry, jailbird Joey is refusing to speak with Bristol Live!

The honest answer to this question is how many of us actually buy a newspaper anymore?

I genuinely can’t remember when I last did.

In that environment the fact that it is run on a shoestring with few reporters & people covering jobs that used to be done by several others should come as no surprise at all.

Piercy is pretty good but the digital world means it is an unrecognisable industry from that which employed the late Peter Godsiff or Richard Latham.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The honest answer to this question is how many of us actually buy a newspaper anymore?

I genuinely can’t remember when I last did.

In that environment the fact that it is run on a shoestring with few reporters & people covering jobs that used to be done by several others should come as no surprise at all.

Piercy is pretty good but the digital world means it is an unrecognisable industry from that which employed the late Peter Godsiff or Richard Latham.

Remember when you used to go away on holiday and you’d have to wait to the day after the results to buy the paper to see the scores? They were the days. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Remember when you used to go away on holiday and you’d have to wait to the day after the results to buy the paper to see the scores? They were the days. 

Showing your age Fordy! Away midweek games were sometimes  put out by ITV news when they started broadcasting but only if it was a very slow news day.

The best one for me was a 7-4 away win at Barnsley given out in such a hurry at end of bulletin that I couldn't believe it was correct. When I told Dad he thought I was lying!

Edited by cidered abroad

I pick up the Bristol Post digitally free of charge on borrowbox, as part of a Bristol library membership. It's cover price is £1.70 mon-thurs, and £2.10 on a Friday.

It takes me an average of 2 minutes to skim through it. (Content is 40% adverts, 20% pics, 20% generic or templated content, 20% local news). The only reason I really bother with it is so I can screenshot and pdf the cryptic crossword.

If you sub through the library service (or a reading app like Readly) you can see that all Reach papers are based on the same template, with identical major ads, tv guides (subject to regional variation), generic story content (some regional, e.g. with the same stories in the Plymouth Herald, and Bristol Post, say).

Some of their papers are published on a Saturday - I'm not sure why ours isn't, but perhaps they sell diddly squat on a non-work day.

PS nil City coverage yesterday, and today's is just some story concocted from Cam's 'meet the press' online interview from yesterday/Wednesday.

Edited by Sleepy1968