IGNORED

How many will we sign?

Henry

1 hour ago, Henry said:

https://x.com/bristolcitylive/status/1693175060469604590?s=46&t=tVL7hISA2DNrsrkiDgLG9w

The article suggests we want to get in 5 players. Can’t see it but once again we were to be heading into the last few looking for a defender. I wonder whether Kalas will now come back to cover RB/CB

Reading the negative rantings  on here I reckon eleven ?

10 minutes ago, Henry said:

Keeper, defender, midfielder x2 and a striker. That’s what James is suggesting.

I think we’d be lucky to get a defender and a Scott ‘replacement’. If we don’t, I don’t think Pearson is here last Christmas.

Ah, sorry, James suggesting it, thought he was saying Nige said 5.

Interesting the talk of Thomason and Murphy being concurrent.  I’d kinda assumed Murphy was more u21s / fringe….a bit like the plan for Massengo when he signed.  Then Nagy got injured.

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I’m going to go with 1.

I can’t believe that the club wouldn’t make a signing after selling someone for over £20m, it would be a terrible when it’s clear there’s areas of improvement required. 

I have this horrible feeling Lansdown is seeing the 25m as a way of reducing his input of covering loses before selling up.

If the money isn’t there to replace Scott then Lansdown can get out now.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Henry said:

I have this horrible feeling Lansdown is seeing the 25m as a way of reducing his input of covering loses before selling up.

Yes the Scott money would be very useful for cash losses and or reduce the amount of debt to equity he needs to put in if that was his thinking.

4 minutes ago, Henry said:

Dangerous game though, because can see a club in a relegation dogfight being a rather unattractive proposition and wipe out a fair bit of value. 

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Dangerous game though, because can see a club in a relegation dogfight being a rather unattractive proposition and wipe out a fair bit of value. 

I don’t think we will be in a relegation dogfight. We have just lost to an in-form Birmingham side, and that is our only loss so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Heard a rumour yesterday that Kalas is signing this week.

I just don't see it. You could make an argument that a contract until January would help him out and cover us in the short-term but Kalas hasn't had a pre-season so isn't going to be fully up and running until mid-October. I just don't reckon that works as a timescale. 

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

I don’t think we will be in a relegation dogfight. We have just lost to an in-form Birmingham side, and that is our only loss so far.

But we were lucky to get a point at home against Preston, who were nothing special. 

We aren't looking good. We aren't looking like we have a lot of shots in us. 

If there is no recruitment,  I'll be concerned about the direction of this club. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ah, sorry, James suggesting it, thought he was saying Nige said 5.

Interesting the talk of Thomason and Murphy being concurrent.  I’d kinda assumed Murphy was more u21s / fringe….a bit like the plan for Massengo when he signed.  Then Nagy got injured.

That's my guess as well. I reckon we're looking at 4 positions for the first team (not saying we'll sign four players - just that we'd consider players in those positions if the right ones came up) but a player like Murphy is more of a "sign a potential player for the future as they come up" signing rather than intended to strengthen the squad in the short term. 

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

But we were lucky to get a point at home against Preston, who were nothing special. 

If there is no recruitment,  I'll be concerned about the direction of this club. 

Preston have won both their other games though, including beating Sunderland. We're not on our own in struggling against them.

I agree we need recruitment and agree the lack of shots is a concern but I think relegation worries are extremely premature.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

We need a number one GK, creative mid and a striker, then defensive cover. We need to attack the loan market IMO.  

Pearson seems to be saying the problem is covering the cost of wages rather than covering the cost of transfer fees. Short-term defensive cover aside, it surely makes more sense to move for permanent signings than loans. 

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I fully expect the 3 teams we played to be in the top half. Some of our attacking play still needs developing, I agree. I think Conway is a massive miss. Bell and Mehmeti need to step up.

I don’t want to see us stacking players again. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Preston have won both their other games though, including beating Sunderland. We're not on our own in struggling against them.

I agree we need recruitment and agree the lack of shots is a concern but I think relegation worries are extremely premature.

I'm not "worried" but nor am I complacent.  

We've been relegated in seasons we've started better than this.

We looked unorganised and poor in our draw, didn't create that many chances in our narrow win and - sadly - looked demoralised yesterday. 

Beating Sunderland says more about the state of Sunderland this season than it does about Preston. 

It can all turn good very quickly, but some exciting new blood is required IMO. 

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

They were very lucky to win their home game against Sunderland and managed to beat the worst team in the division 1-0, don't let's start believing that PNE are a good team, we always make any old rubbish look good

We have lost two game changers in Scotty and Semenyo.  Our regular   support of 20k will diminish markedly if we continue to be so average.  With 25Mill in the bank, I believe we need a signing to bring excitement and optimism to the club, without being ridiculous and extravagant, surely we can find a young loan striker or a goalscorer..........maybe we should just advertise   "Game Changer Needed"   " Great Prospects, as, ......    if successful with your application, after a season or two in the Bristol City first team...........you will almost certainly     be sold to Bournemouth, and receive a big fat signing on fee and a mansion on the South Coast"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

They were very lucky to win their home game against Sunderland and managed to beat the worst team in the division 1-0, don't let's start believing that PNE are a good team, we always make any old rubbish look good

I don't think Preston are a good team. I think they are a team that will frustrate a lot of sides who are better than them. It's important to be realistic about our flaws but that's a very different thing to pretending every team who beats us is more terrible than they are. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I just don't see it. You could make an argument that a contract until January would help him out and cover us in the short-term but Kalas hasn't had a pre-season so isn't going to be fully up and running until mid-October. I just don't reckon that works as a timescale. 

Disagree with that completely. Always been the ultimate professional and super fit. If anyone could use a summer off it was Kalas. I’d have no doubts about him starting next weekend if true. In most scenarios he is the ideal signing for us. Been here before. Know what he needs to be in this team. Doesn’t need to gel. He walks in as an experienced international and has had months for his body to rest and recover. CB is also not the most demanding position fitness wise either.