IGNORED

How many will we sign?

Henry

16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't think Preston are a good team. I think they are a team that will frustrate a lot of sides who are better than them. It's important to be realistic about our flaws but that's a very different thing to pretending every team who beats us is more terrible than they are. 

Their tactical shape of 3-5-1-1 on the road will catch a few out too.

It's unusual at this level.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Some people seem to think that a manager acquiring players is as easy as a kid in a sweet shop. Pearson has already said that we have our targets but it is a question of whether they are doable (for a variety of reasons) and that there is no point acquiring players for the sake of it, not least as that might prevent us signing players that we really want in January. 

Edited by eardun

36 minutes ago, tin said:

We need to strengthen the entire spine of the side IMO - GK (Iversen’s available), CB - (Kalas?), AMC - (?), ST (?) - but I don’t think we’ll sign anyone. 

I really don't think we will sign a goalkeeper. I would welcome a goalkeeper to compete with Max but I don't think Pearson sees it as a massive priority with the other positions that need strengthening. Don't get me wrong Iversen would be a good signing but I don't think Pearson is looking at that sort of goalkeeper. If we go for a goalkeeper I think they will be older than Iversen and even more experienced. Also, I thought yesterday was Max's best performance of the season. Bar a couple of kicks out I thought he made a couple of good saves to keep the score down and that came when the team in front of him wasn't great (A part from James). 

7 minutes ago, MrRedRobin said:

I really don't think we will sign a goalkeeper. I would welcome a goalkeeper to compete with Max but I don't think Pearson sees it as a massive priority with the other positions that need strengthening. Don't get me wrong Iversen would be a good signing but I don't think Pearson is looking at that sort of goalkeeper. If we go for a goalkeeper I think they will be older than Iversen and even more experienced. Also, I thought yesterday was Max's best performance of the season. Bar a couple of kicks out I thought he made a couple of good saves to keep the score down and that came when the team in front of him wasn't great (A part from James). 

Neither do I; I don’t think we’ll sign anyone. But, those are the positions we need to strengthen in and Iversen is an upgrade on O’Leary IMO, which fits the profile of the type of player Nige wants. 

7 minutes ago, MrRedRobin said:

I really don't think we will sign a goalkeeper. I would welcome a goalkeeper to compete with Max but I don't think Pearson sees it as a massive priority with the other positions that need strengthening. 

Given the death stare Pearson’s given Max for his kicking in the previous two (league) home games, you might be surprised. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us trade to get what we need. Pring is an obvious contender, maybe speculation is based on something. If that happens 4/5 incomings maybe. Nige knows this could be his last season if we don’t kick on and losing Scott, McCrorie, Conway and no Atkinson leaves us looking lightweight and doesn’t help his cause, which is why he is probably only now considering loans. Unfortunately Anis and Cornick have not delivered as yet and Knight and Roberts may need time. Only Dickie looks comfortable out of our recent signings. It’s not a great situation just now.

Two or three IMO at best, defensive cover, possibly via a loan, hopefully Murphy although he is with an eye on the future and potentially an established creative midfielder. Given NPs preference to do early business and our wage ceiling can’t see anything much than 2-3 more happening and at the same time wouldn’t be surprised if nobody is added!  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us trade to get what we need. Pring is an obvious contender, maybe speculation is based on something. If that happens 4/5 incomings maybe. Nige knows this could be his last season if we don’t kick on and losing Scott, McCrorie, Conway and no Atkinson leaves us looking lightweight and doesn’t help his cause, which is why he is probably only now considering loans. Unfortunately Anis and Cornick have not delivered as yet and Knight and Roberts may need time. Only Dickie looks comfortable out of our recent signings. It’s not a great situation just now.

We have just traded a £20-25m asset.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We have just traded a £20-25m asset.

Indeed we have but it’s not unreasonable to assume that our Plan B (With Scott gone) possibly included a maximum amount to be given to Nige from the £25m for one possibly 2 decent players to replace him. Then McCrorie and Conway suddenly need replacing so Plan B becomes Plan C and 4 needed for the same amount unless we can trade another 1 for another 2.

FW, AM for sure.

Possibly a GK to bridge the gap between O'Leary and Wiles-Richards/Bajic.

Cannot in all honestly see more than 3, and TBH it may just be one or two. 

Think Naismith will just be CD until Atko is fit, with King as back-up.  Any ETA for him - or McCrorie?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Unfortunately Anis and Cornick have not delivered as yet and Knight and Roberts may need time. Only Dickie looks comfortable out of our recent signings. It’s not a great situation just now.

That is a poor showing.

It doesn't give me too much confidence in the ability of Nige to recruit the right players.

Or is it that once they get here they regress.

Aside from frustration for us fans, they are also also expensive mistakes in terms of £s

Cant imagine managers in the mould of Thomas Frank or Roberto de Zerbi messing up like this.

• Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Or is it that once they get here they regress.

One of the worrying aspects is that yesterday Mehmeti looked a shadow of the promising wide player who could take on and beat defenders, terrify defences and win countless yards. That's what he was when he arrived, but he seems to have had the creativity coached out of him.

I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

One of the worrying aspects is that yesterday Mehmeti looked a shadow of the promising wide player who could take on and beat defenders, terrify defences and win countless yards. That's what he was when he arrived, but he seems to have had the creativity coached out of him.

I hope I'm wrong. 

This is just my opinion ;
When Mehmeti came he looked exciting, but always went inside onto his right foot. Quickly sussed he became less effective and too predictable. I think that is why Bell gets the nod a lot of the time, he is happy to go outside but has the option to cut onto his stronger foot. Annoyingly he wasted several opportunities by trying to cut inside yesterday. 
The coaching has been to get Anis to use his left more and go outside the defender more often. While he has started doing that noticeably , it is still early days and he's not looked comfortable. I believe that threat will come as he settles into the role.
I've been impressed with his tracking back and tackling though.

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is just my opinion ;
When Mehmeti came he looked exciting, but always went inside onto his right foot. Quickly sussed he became less effective and too predictable. I think that is why Bell gets the nod a lot of the time, he is happy to go outside but has the option to cut onto his stronger foot. Annoyingly he wasted several opportunities by trying to cut inside yesterday. 
The coaching has been to get Anis to use his left more and go outside the defender more often. While he has started doing that noticeably , it is still early days and he's not looked comfortable. I believe that threat will come as he settles into the role.
I've been impressed with his tracking back and tackling though.

I think the lack of effectiveness came less from being sussed, but more from either running two paces too far, or wrong decision regarding crossing. There's where we are working no doubt on his game, but the result seems to be that rather than beat men, he now just runs into them - and loses possession.  Of course, we could add that he was asked to do lots of tracking back and defensive tackling yesterday because our midfield was AWOL - but that's covered on other threads. 

Although the squad does obviously need strengthening if we are to progress further, I wouldn't be surprised if only one or two signings are made. 

I could never have imagined that after all these years of SL's tenure, BCFC would have come to little more than a feeder club for AFC Bournemouth.

Tens of millions of pounds garnered from selling our best talent on, a rugby club and basketball team gained.

Whatever happened to the idea of BCFC in the top flight of English football??

Edited by Red_Alligator

1 minute ago, Red_Alligator said:

Although the squad does obviously need strengthening it we are to progress further, I wouldn't be surprised if only one of two signings are made. 

I could never have imagined that after all these years of SL's tenure, BCFC would have come to little more than a feeder club for AFC Bournemouth.

Tens of millions of pounds garnered from selling our best talent on, a rugby club and basketball team gained.

Whatever happened to the to idea of BCFC in the top flight of English football??

Perhaps SL I'm sorry to say has subconsciously given up a little.

"I've tried the steady building

"I've tried the infrastructure, whixh btw is a decent platform.

"I've given it somewhat of a go and look at what nearly happened there!"

Combine that with the Parachute Payments discrepancy that shows no sign of going any time soon- do turkeys vote for Christmas- the seemingly forlorn hope that the Championship would reset post Covid financially, it's starting to rise again but a mixed bag and the Salary Cap that was on the horizon being no closer he has bet on a horse that is struggling to get over the  2nd hurdle right now.

He has either subconsciously given up or parked his ambition a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Henry said:

If we don’t, I don’t think Pearson is here last Christmas.

Unless we are in a proper relegation scrap, I think Pearson’s job is safe this season. Out of contract at the end of it so makes sense to keep him for the remainder. I’ve no doubt we’ve got one eye on his replacement already. He’s seen us through a very rocky patch and if it’s another sub standard 14th-19th finish we’ll most likely part ways. As for signing 5 players…. HA! That’s definitely what we need but it isn’t happening. I’d settle for 3 at this point, striker, Scott replacement and a keeper. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps SL I'm sorry to say has subconsciously given up a little.

"I've tried the steady building

"I've tried the infrastructure, whixh btw is a decent platform.

"I've given it somewhat of a go and look at what nearly happened there!"

Combine that with the Parachute Payments discrepancy that shows no sign of going any time soon- do turkeys vote for Christmas- the seemingly forlorn hope that the Championship would reset post Covid financially, it's starting to rise again but a mixed bag and the Salary Cap that was on the horizon being no closer he has bet on a horse that is struggling to get over the  2nd hurdle right now.

He has either subconsciously given up or parked his ambition a bit.

Do you think some of the “life” went out of it for him when he realised Jon wasn’t interested in taking it on?  And now he’s kinda stuck?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you think some of the “life” went out of it for him when he realised Jon wasn’t interested in taking it on?  And now he’s kinda stuck?

Exactly this.

Steve has created an unsellable monster IMO. You can imagine someone wanting a football club to develop but when you add in rugby and basketball you can see the problem.