IGNORED

How many will we sign?

Henry

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you think some of the “life” went out of it for him when he realised Jon wasn’t interested in taking it on?  And now he’s kinda stuck?

Interesting, maybe although it seems to have changed drastically.

Last August SL was still quite optimistic and spoke about progress on the pitch while cutting the wage bill. Last home game end of April he still seemed optimistic, even mentioned Scott staying although as we know etc.

This latest interview he sounded a bit defeated, downbeat- didn't look optimistic or terribly happy either.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting, maybe although it seems to have changed drastically.

Last August SL was still quite optimistic and spoke about progress on the pitch while cutting the wage bill. Last home game end of April he still seemed optimistic, even mentioned Scott staying although as we know etc.

This latest interview he sounded a bit defeated, downbeat- didn't look optimistic or terribly happy either.

Perhaps finally realising that the Championship is a lot more difficult than LJ and Ashton led him to believe? We are basically playing for a place in the playoffs and then hoping. And SL is certainly jealous of clubs like Luton and Coventry. 

The reality is that if you take the main creative/attacking midfielder out of any side at this level, they would probably struggle. But you have to have a plan for that and so far I don’t see one. Assuming that there is a plan to bring someone in to replace Scott, then hopefully the club are getting on with it. If there wasn’t a plan then that was truly negligent!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps SL I'm sorry to say has subconsciously given up a little.

"I've tried the steady building

"I've tried the infrastructure, whixh btw is a decent platform.

"I've given it somewhat of a go and look at what nearly happened there!"

Combine that with the Parachute Payments discrepancy that shows no sign of going any time soon- do turkeys vote for Christmas- the seemingly forlorn hope that the Championship would reset post Covid financially, it's starting to rise again but a mixed bag and the Salary Cap that was on the horizon being no closer he has bet on a horse that is struggling to get over the  2nd hurdle right now.

He has either subconsciously given up or parked his ambition a bit.

Yes indeed. I go back to a point I've made several times previously, that he could have followed the trend set by other clubs who suddenly acquired an extremely wealthy owner/supporter, but chose not to at that time. His prerogative of course, but I'd venture a surprise to many, both with a vested interest in BCFC and in the wider world of football discourse. 

Granted, his investment in the club has seen a massive development in infrastructure, aside from the expansion of his sporting portfolio. But I'm willing to bet that if I were to sit down for a chat and a pint with a Luton fan for example, it wouldn't go very far towards wiping the smile off of his/her face.

As Pink Floyd once wryly suggested, we may well have sold our heroes for ghosts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Negan said:

Unless we are in a proper relegation scrap, I think Pearson’s job is safe this season. Out of contract at the end of it so makes sense to keep him for the remainder. I’ve no doubt we’ve got one eye on his replacement already. He’s seen us through a very rocky patch and if it’s another sub standard 14th-19th finish we’ll most likely part ways. As for signing 5 players…. HA! That’s definitely what we need but it isn’t happening. I’d settle for 3 at this point, striker, Scott replacement and a keeper. 

Agreed tbh unless we got into the play offs I think Pearson wont be here next season and unless we are in a relegation scrap he wont be sacked.  I also think that we may be holding most of Scott money back for the new manager to invest how he sees fit.

i would also like to see 3 players not as fussed about a striker would prefer a winger and make Cornick the back up striker to Wells (until TC is fit) attacking midfielder and another defender, don’t think Max has done a lot wrong

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Pearson seems to be saying the problem is covering the cost of wages rather than covering the cost of transfer fees. Short-term defensive cover aside, it surely makes more sense to move for permanent signings than loans. 

The way I read it is that the only way to get quality into the squad is by loans, the club won't finance quality players on permanent contracts. L1 and L2 players and "potential" players aren't going to get us up the table imo.

Edited by bcfc01

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps he'd just watched the Preston "highlights".

Although, having watched them, what he did with the other 9 minutes 55 seconds he'd set aside for that, I don't know...

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 2015 said:

You cannot sell Semenyo and Scott for a combined £35 million and then just get a few bodies in the door. We need match winners because at the moment we don't have any. That is what Scott and Semenyo were for us.

I tend to agree with this.

The club has made good money from two excellent players that didn’t cost them anything. There are some early signs of unrest amongst the fan base, which would intensify quickly if the team start to struggle and we haven’t reinvested any of that money in a team with some obvious weaknesses. Equally, it’s going to be a kick in the teeth for Pearson if he’s expected to lose his best players and not be given an opportunity to spend at least a good portion of that cash.

For these reasons I think there’s real pressure on the club to recruit by spending decent money in this window, and I hope the board realise that.

Can you imagine if we went down - however unlikely that might seem right now - having received £35m in transfer fees and done nothing to improve the squad? It would be a disgrace.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Dangerous game though, because can see a club in a relegation dogfight being a rather unattractive proposition and wipe out a fair bit of value. 

SLs done stupider things before.

Like hiring LJ.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

I'm puzzled still as to what the strategy is.

The current message is that we will bank the Scott money and have maxed out our wage budget. OK but Steve has also been quoted as saying what football earns football can spend, a complete contradiction.

Now he says that raising big money from sales every year will enable us to compete. How exactly? This sounds worryingly like the strategy under Ashton which led to a bloated squad and wage bill and a worse team.

Amidst all this he appears to think we have a squad good enough to make the top 6 which is palpably not true.

So clear as mud then and I'm not holding my breath expecting a clear explanation. It's his club (true) and he'll do what he wants but what he wants seems to be mired in confusion.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm puzzled still as to what the strategy is.

The current message is that we will bank the Scott money and have maxed out our wage budget. OK but Steve has also been quoted as saying what football earns football can spend, a complete contradiction.

Now he says that raising big money from sales every year will enable us to compete. How exactly? This sounds worryingly like the strategy under Ashton which led to a bloated squad and wage bill and a worse team.

Amidst all this he appears to think we have a squad good enough to make the top 6 which is palpably not true.

So clear as mud then and I'm not holding my breath expecting a clear explanation. It's his club (true) and he'll do what he wants but what he wants seems to be mired in confusion.

You forgot, “building a nest egg”!

• Haha 1

When you’re a selling club, one of the biggest achievements in any window is to get to the close without losing important players unexpectedly or at the last minute, or both. It’s not inconceivable that silly, left field offers may yet emerge for Pring or Vyner ( or conceivably something completely unforeseen, like Weiman or Wells). So priority one is not to lose anyone else. 

Edited by Bedred31

14 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

When you’re a selling club, one of the biggest achievements in any window is to get to the close without losing important players unexpectedly or at the last minute, or both. It’s not inconceivable that silly, left field offers may yet emerge for Pring or Vyner ( or conceivably something completely unforeseen, like Weiman or Wells). So priority one is not to lose anyone else. 

Would hope the door marked Exit has been firmly shut post the Scott sale, certainly for anyone of importance.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

McCrorie and Conway already out for months... that's soooooo Bristol City

If Conway is out for months and Weimann still injured, given who we have sold and released, and who we have left (a forward who hasn’t scored in open play for 20 games, a lightweight 20 year-old, and a player whose best attribute to attacking appears to be long throws) then the need for a decent striker becomes even more pressing. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Pretty much all clubs bar a very small group are selling clubs