IGNORED

Shots on target

wendyredredrobin

5 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Dave, we had a discussion about NP a season or so back regarding his (roughly) 32% win ratio. You were at pains to explain to me that a win ratio does not tell the whole story.

@wendyredredrobin has understandably, imo, raised the issue of lack of shots on target: 4 in 270 mins. Again you say that this doesn't tell the whole story.

I dont think I'm entirely alone in having a much more simplistic view of football compared to you. I pays me money to be entertained, to get excited- even briefly. I obviously want to see goal attempts even if they don't go in!

I love fine food and know what tastes good without always knowing the ingredients, the process or the chef. BCFC ,in footballing terms, are serving up a pretty poor meal more often than not and for many of us - it is the story.

You’ve missed the point. 

I’m actually agreeing it’s not very exciting in the main (and I mean the two home league games).  I just wouldn’t use shots on target as the be-all and end-all, as per Big C’s post ⬆️⬆️⬆️ tries to explain, nor for a 270 minute sample either.

++++++++++++++++++++

In terms of Saturday, the stupid thing is having started sloppily, we started to grow into the game and had a sustained spell of being able to play through them, get into decent positions and build some pressure.  There was a spell of 3 or 4 corners, a few shots, a header over from Dickie, Dickie striding over the halfway line as we broke their press.  I’m not saying it was brilliant, but it was building some noise in the ground.  It felt like a goal might be coming before halftime.

Do you recall that 20+ minute spell?

We wasted a few good crossing positions too having got our overloads.  

We then shot ourselves in the foot, Vyner plays a crap pass straight to an intercepting Sunjic and we are 4v4, get away with conceding a corner as Hogan fluffs his lines and Miyoshi shot is saved.  A couple more corners as we approach injury time, goal, we head in at h-t 1-0 down.

That obviously changes the game, but it changes the mood of the crowd too.  It changes people’s memories of a poor start being turned around too.  Start bad, end bad….just forget anything good in-between??? 

++++++++++++++++++++

I’m not trying to reinvent the record of the game that we deserved to lose, just saying that in amongst it there was some better play and it wasn’t all crap.

Ultimately, overall it was below par. 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2023 at 19:35, mozo said:

After all this, we'll probably beat Hull 5-0 and our bi-polar identity crisis will swing the other way... ?

Well we managed 5 shots on target v Hull so you got half of your wish.

But back to only one in 90 minutes again last night.

Unless things change, we will be the lowest scoring team in the division by the end of the season.