IGNORED

Where is our CEO...who is he?

extonsred

11 minutes ago, redkev said:

I thought 20 million for scotty might have benefited us - obviously not ?

I mean yes although it depends how you look at it. We're well clear of FFP now but we are walking a trickier path if SL isn't so keen to top up the cash flow side as much or often. However 2-3 more signings would have been ideal the.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORANGE500 said:

Every club sells players if the fee is right, when everyone is fit City are top 8 so hardly pie in the sky. listen to or read the extracts of the interview  firstly the Scott money isn't the whole amount up front and the anticipated revenue from the potentiel sale was used to fund the 4 and later 5  new signings this transfer window at a cost of £4-5 million if you ever ran a business you would value a prudent business model also the current model is the reason why City have one of the  best academy set ups in the country regularly supplying the first team with players (and some damn good players).

Jesus wept. 

You've engaged with none of the questions I raise and then start your rambling reply with an insane assessment of our squad's abilities. 

Jesus wept? **ck me! more like.

On the step you pop, life's way too short for this shit. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure how it will benefit us? Isn't it Esteban investments who own the land of the development and who will be financing the development? 

I think I remember someone saying that Esteban is a sister company to Ashton Gate Ltd? 

I guess it's possible that upon completion it all gets merged into Ashton Gate Ltd but I don't know? 

Possibly a bit of wishful on my part.

Or slightly lazy by me! My thinking was being on the Ashton Gate footprint it would flow to Bristol City Holdings however Estaben Ltd I've never really looked into.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I dunno I don't know enough about but are they not moving to the Sporting Quarter.

Not necessary to charge anything tbh. I dont know much ahout the wider Bristol Sport empire.

That’s ok, as it stands they rent nothing.  In future we will have to see how the Arena is structured into the “group”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I mean yes although it depends how you look at it. We're well clear of FFP now but we are walking a trickier path if SL isn't so keen to top up the cash flow side as much or often. However 2-3 more signings would have been ideal the.

To me this is where SL makes poor football decisions for the first time in a fair few seasons we have a half decent side ( not world beaters but half decent ) we a little more investment from the 20mill for Scot this year we really could have been at least knocking on the play off door unfortunately with our injuries ( already ) I think  we will be 9th to 14th

but you never know 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redkev said:

To me this is where SL makes poor football decisions for the first time in a fair few seasons we have a half decent side ( not world beaters but half decent ) we a little more investment from the 20mill for Scot this year we really could have been at least knocking on the play off door unfortunately with our injuries ( already ) I think  we will be 9th to 14th

but you never know 

Agreed. 2-3 in, wouldn't break the bank- solid platform injuries aside.

I anticipated a good go at top 10 but that was a) Predating the Scott sale b) Before the current host of injuries reducing our depth significantly.

You never know as you say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

I'm reasonably content with the policy as I love the current set-up with academy players being given a chance.  What grates , however, is the lack of praise (and contract for Nigel Pearson and his team and the absence of any willingness to communicate with fans. They have done a fantastic job against the odds. The absence of praise is beyond poor.

Of course, I'd like to see City in the Premiership but progression in the Championship with committed developing young players from the lower leagues and our academy players getting a chance is also very satisfying to see especially with the style of football Pearson is implementing.   One caveat being is that I would have liked a striker brought in given Wells is the only option right now.

It's Pearson and his team who have put the Club on the path of relative success and enhanced the values of players despite a significantly reduced budget.  Their efforts have brought in significant transfer fees by nurturing young players and giving them opportunities.  The staff brought the best out of Alex Scott, Semenyo, Conway, Pring,  Bell and Vyner and only that success has allowed Steve Lansdown to cut the budget.  Pearson is continuing that approach with Yeboah getting some opportunities.  It's hard to fathom why SL can't bring himself to acknowledge and appreciate that.

It's not just good fortune either, Pearson has got the set-up right so the youngsters with the potential to step up train with the first team. Not only that, but the recruitment has been exceptionally good with the likes of Knight, Sykes, Atkinson all being astute signings from the lower league at a relatively low cost and wages.

The achievements of the management team shouldn't be underestimated and they aren't by the fan base.   It's poor of Steve Lansdown not to acknowledge that and brainless not to offer an extended contract.  It's also noteworthy that Steve Lansdown has done no interviews within the Club media or even with the external Bristol media.  He did give an interview to a Guernsey paper but that almost rubs in his disconnect with the fans. 

Despite others saying he is not good with the media I think that wasn't necessarily true in the past aside from the occasional unnecessary or clumsy dig at fans. I think generally there was a lot of goodwill and appreciation towards him despite some odd managerial appointment mistakes.   Investment in the stadium, the training ground and sustaining the Club for many years is something he should be applauded for.  It's a pity he has gone down a route (with his attitude to Pearson, appointing his son to an unsuited role and generally distancing himself from the fans) that has already lost some goodwill.  

It's all reversible of course and if we are in touching place of the play-offs and he offers Nigel a new contract and increased budget then all will be well. Football is fickle like that. For now, I'd be more than happy with contract extensions for Bell and Conway then see where we are in January.

So what you're asking for really is some honesty! 

Even if we all managed to agree that SL was being sensible with his current strategy, it's not too much to ask for the messaging from he and his team to be more aligned with that reality.

The messaging has been muddled, inconsistent and clearly inadequate, and when the manager is struggling with the three line whip then you know you have an issue.

At best, it's a serious communication issue.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You sound as though you have full confidence a prudent model guarantees competing as this level or above.

I don’t see a prudent model, I see a model that allowed cost to grow to ridiculous level, and income generation that costs too much for every £1 it brings in.  What I am seeing is the football side being forced to work under a smaller budget, despite cutting costs and generating more income through player sales.

I know the £25m nest-egg has been taken as black and white, and it isn’t that, but if we have to generate £35m of player sales and £4-5m of costs removed through letting players leave to generate £5m of transfer fees and £2m of wages, then very soon we will find we can’t raise enough revenue / cut enough costs to invest in the squad at all, and then…⬇️⬇️⬇️

This is what happens ⬆️⬆️⬆️.  I’m not sure Nige et all is a miracle worker per se, but he’s getting a lot out of his budget as it stands. 

Thank you! 

PS. A thought occurred to me today, reading this thread, all the talk of lowered wage budgets, Plans A&B with and without Scott and our summer transfer business:

Where the heck did trying to sign Joe Bryan fit into all this?

We wouldn't have signed Roberts, presumably, but Bryan would surely have been one of our top earners - and Roberts isn't, I'm guessing - so who else wouldn't we have signed if Bryan had arrived???

Nuts. Something ain't right. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 12

28 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The Sporting Quarter is basically meaningless unless Coty are near top of zprem

Remember all those years back the model for BS, according to SL, was Barcelona. Um!

That’s for SLs ego and wish to have a legacy

Save City , Personally  I have zero interest in Bristol Sport , or its concept or SLs ego

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thank you! 

PS. A thought occurred to me today, reading this thread, all the talk of lowered wage budgets, Plans A&B with and without Scott and our summer transfer business:

We wouldn't have signed Roberts, presumably, but Bryan would surely have been one of our top earners - and Roberts isn't, I'm guessing - so who else wouldn't we have signed if Bryan had arrived???

Yep, as I replied to Graham, I don’t think we are seeing the March plan being executed, but a bit if retrofit explanation to something that is now being called the March plan.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Or slightly lazy by me! My thinking was being on the Ashton Gate footprint it would flow to Bristol City Holdings however Estaben Ltd I've never really looked into.

Esteban Investments Limited has two directors - JL and Martin Griffiths.  Presume as Planning permission was granted to them, they are the freehold owners of all the land in question?

SL resigned his directorships of the various limited companies related to BCFC in May 2011, presumably when moving to Guernsey?

Is JL resident in the UK for tax purposes? Presumably so and that’s why SL isn’t an active director of the various companies. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thank you! 

Yep. Dunno why people are taking this with a shoulder shrug of “makes sense”. 

I’m almost certain Tinnion said used the term ‘two lists’ too. But can’t be 100%. Tbere can’t have been two plans, either way, if Plan B was basically not sign anyone after Plan A was ticked off. 

Dickie was a ‘happy accident’ because of a chat between Sykes and him….so no chance he was part of the plan either. 

He sounded really startled by the Pearson contract and Sporting Quarter questions too for some reason. As if they wouldn’t have been asked. 

Nige “has been around the block so he understands the situation” - very odd comment. Sounded very adamant to mention he led the Scott deal (‘honoured’ is a strange phrase to use when selling your best player…) which doesn’t match what SL said. Got the vibe that nailing down early that the structure was agreed in March, and that everyone agreed on it, was a slap on the wrist to Nigel given his comments about not being able to answer why we can’t spend any more money after Scott’s sale. 

Came out of it more confused than before tbh, and if anything more certain that it certainly isn’t a happy cohesive place between the powers that be atm. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Yep. Dunno why people are taking this with a shoulder shrug of “makes sense”. 

I’m almost certain Tinnion said used the term ‘two lists’ too. But can’t be 100%. Tbere can’t have been two plans, either way, if Plan B was basically not sign anyone after Plan A was ticked off. 

Dickie was a ‘happy accident’ because of a chat between Sykes and him….so no chance he was part of the plan either. 

He sounded really startled by the Pearson contract and Sporting Quarter questions too for some reason. As if they wouldn’t have been asked. 

Nige “has been around the block so he understands the situation” - very odd comment. Sounded very adamant to mention he led the Scott deal (‘honoured’ is a strange phrase to use when selling your best player…) which doesn’t match what SL said. Got the vibe that nailing down early that the structure was agreed in March, and that everyone agreed on it, was a slap on the wrist to Nigel given his comments about not being able to answer why we can’t spend any more money after Scott’s sale. 

Came out of it more confused than before tbh, and if anything more certain that it certainly isn’t a happy cohesive place between the powers that be atm. 

Sadly, Alexander gets on with Pearson as well as Lansdown. 

23 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think what most of us are confused by, is that why all of a sudden has SL decided to stop putting in so much money? 

In the past he has thrown a lot of money after bad. 

Yet here we are now with probably our best chance of taking a step forward and he decides to cut his funding. It's bizarre.

Maybe the constant abuse he gets? 

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thank you! 

Good thoughts. 
I posted earlier about the budget, asking - if we’ve maxed out now, where is the money that was supposed to be used for the Thomason and Murphy transfers? They both turned us down. So that money hasn’t been used? 
But I also forgot to mention Kalas. We’d apparently offered him a contract. So, if he’d have accepted, would we have been over budget?? If not, there’s spare funds there too. 
So thats 3 players to whom we were going to offer salaries. And 2 of them were going to be fees too. 
But we’re apparently maxed out now? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

What constant abuse? There’s a couple, and I mean a couple of knob heads on here who take things way to far, but that’s it? And if a billionaire is reading a sodding football forum, I would be shocked. 

He isn’t reading this, he couldn’t give a **** what City supporters think.

His comments in the recent past along the lines of “it is my money and club and I’ll do what I want” tell you everything about how we are viewed, as an income stream who should be forever grateful & uncritical.

• Like 3

In respect of the budget my guess which could he wrong.

Kalas.We will have offered but perhaps expected he wouldn't sign.

Gardner-Hickman £700,000 loan fee plus what ever percentage of wages.

Thomason and Murphy would have been low wages IMO.

Then there is the matter of individual top earner caps and collective cap. Perhaps some combination of the two.

Just now, Harry said:

Good thoughts. 
I posted earlier about the budget, asking - if we’ve maxed out now, where is the money that was supposed to be used for the Thomason and Murphy transfers? They both turned us down. So that money hasn’t been used? 
But I also forgot to mention Kalas. We’d apparently offered him a contract. So, if he’d have accepted, would we have been over budget?? If not, there’s spare funds there too. 
So thats 3 players to whom we were going to offer salaries. And 2 of them were going to be fees too. 
But we’re apparently maxed out now? 

Same as the Massengo situation, absolute horseshit for Alexander to claim last night the compensation for him was “already factored in”.

HNM (well, mainly his Dad) pissed about nearly all summer before going back to their first offer from Burnley, so it is ludicrous for him to claim we knew all along what the compensation figure would be, when as I understand it, the rules are different if he joined an English club as opposed to a foreign one.

I guess they will say Gardiner-Hickman was signed on loan instead of Thomason, Tim is absolutely spot on however about Bryan, no way is his replacement signing (Haydon Roberts) on the same money, the Kalas contract, HNM, loads of this narrative simply doesn’t ring true.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Same as the Massengo situation, absolute horseshit for Alexander to claim last night the compensation for him was “already factored in”.

HNM (well, mainly his Dad) pissed about nearly all summer before going back to their first offer from Burnley, so it is ludicrous for him to claim we knew all along what the compensation figure would be, when as I understand it, the rules are different if he joined an English club as opposed to a foreign one.

I guess they will say Gardiner-Hickman was signed on loan instead of Thomason, Tim is absolutely spot on however about Bryan, no way is his replacement signing (Haydon Roberts) on the same money, the Kalas contract, HNM, loads of this narrative simply doesn’t ring true.

There sure are some oddities to the official story aren’t there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It may not be wishful thinking. Mark Kelly is now a director of Pula I believe and also CEO of Ashton Gate and the Sporting Quarter so atm that suggests they will be seperate but that could of course change. Esteban is registered at Ashton Gate so who knows. 

With Steve reducing his direct funding of the football club, maybe adding this development could add £s into the football club without him having to directly do it? But who knows. Could just be a private investment for him. 

I don't really like how it is called the sporting quarter when it's use for sport is limited. 

I do vaguely remember Steve once saying this development would make the group more valuable. 

30 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Seems to be “spin the tale whatever way necessary to justify not backing our popular with supporters but not with us manager”. Too many facts do not align. New owners ASAP please. 

Not convinced by the CEO at all, felt that Gould was the best of the bunch. Had a likability factor and seemed to respect Nige. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It may not be wishful thinking. Mark Kelly is now a director of Pula I believe and also CEO of Ashton Gate and the Sporting Quarter so atm that suggests they will be seperate but that could of course change. Esteban is registered at Ashton Gate so who knows. 

With Steve reducing his direct funding of the football club, maybe adding this development could add £s into the football club without him having to directly do it? But who knows. Could just be a private investment for him. 

I don't really like how it is called the sporting quarter when it's use for sport is limited. 

I do vaguely remember Steve once saying this development would make the group more valuable. 

If SL wants to make the club more self-financing in the medium or long term then a good way is to pursue more revenue streams.

Basketball aspect aside the question is who would the revenue go to- Bristol City (well Bristol City Holdings) or Pula.

Put in some now to pay its way a bit better medium to long term. Has to pay its way though, otherwise it's effectively pointless in that respect.

Granted it may not turn a profit from Day 1, host of businesses don't but it has to pay its way in the medium or long run otherwise it is pointless in respect of the club/BCFC Holdings.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous