IGNORED

Where is our CEO...who is he?

extonsred

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Cant see that - why would Pearson stick around now, if he has no intention of being here next season?

Because he's being paid - and breaking his contract by leaving mid-season would mean he wouldn't be. 

He also doesn't strike me as the sort of chap who'd cut and run and leave his players and us fans in the lurch.

Next season, it's a different ball game. He'd need pretty concrete assurances he wouldn't be expected to operate with a below-average playing budget. He'd need assurances that profits on sales would be ploughed back in.

It's not hard to imagine that, at 60, Pearson sees this as his last job in football and he'd like to leave a legacy. He probably took the job because he saw us as like Leicester: at least in terms of fanbase/city size/potential/lack of glamour.  He'd like, if at all possible, to leave us with a promotion I'm sure.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Because he's being paid - and breaking his contract by leaving mid-season would mean he wouldn't be. 

He also doesn't strike me as the sort of chap who'd cut and run and leave his players and us fans in the lurch.

Next season, it's a different ball game. He'd need pretty concrete assurances he wouldn't be expected to operate with a below-average playing budget. He'd need assurances that profits on sales would be ploughed back in.

It's not hard to imagine that, at 60, Pearson sees this as his last job in football and he'd like to leave a legacy. He probably took the job because he saw us as like Leicester: at least in terms of fanbase/city size/potential/lack of glamour.  He'd like, if at all possible, to leave us with a promotion I'm sure.

I'm not sure he's the type to carry on if he knows he's not going to be around next season

Whatever losses this club has made and however many pounds SL has paid in to cover those losses...they are ALL HIS, his choices of managers/plans etc so its all down to SL; HIS CLUB,

Now it seems to me he has had enough slamed the wallet shut and is looking for payback preferrably from a sale day.

Dont think for one second Steve is interested in the prem for us.... the transfer fees/wages,would blow his mind, he wants out asap and a stressless life.

Bricks and mortar yes, football club nah hes had a play, not for him.........next.

32 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not according to Richard Gould at the fans forum last November. We were within limits although close and as he said ( I think) better to have a points penalty than have to sell our best players 

I remember he said that in January 2022, February 2022 kinda thing.

In subsequent commenrs, Aufudy, November and Janaury to an extent he also said final numbers were still to be ratified etc.

I believe that had we kept Semenyo maybe the EFL would have referred us if not then, now. Semenyo probably saw us fine but Kieran Maguire did interestingly say early in the summer that he didn't us to be spending much.

Oh it (a breach) doesn't just come with a deduction it also comes with restrictions on paying fees etc.

I do remember the initial claim in early 2022 about how we would rather take a deduction than sell key assets.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

The problem is Steve L, for all the errors he’s made (how many other owners would have made similar?), is still the owner I would most wish to be in charge of my Club.

A Bristol lad, passionate about Bristol, provided the Club with the physical infrastructure the envy of many in the Premier League, believer and investor in our Academy, a great Bristol Sport/Sporting Quarter vision and still with great wealth to support the delivery of that vision.

Nice chap too, who does much to support other worthy (conservation) interests.

I, for one, will be sad to see him go. Be careful what you wish for, there are many, many ‘investors’ who would never get near to delivering what Steve L has for us. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Good comment, although let’s put into context SL’s wealth; circa £1.7 billion. 

Covering the costs of Scott and Semenyo would be negligible to SL. 

It we made it analogous to the wealth of the average man on the street it wouldn’t be much at all.  

I’m not even sure it’s about the money for him, I get the perception he just wants out. 

This is the crux of it, I think.

He can afford to keep funding us the way he's done in the past. 

What this calendar year has shown us - (FFP considerations aside) the sale of Semenyo then Scott, 35 million quid transfer income showing in the accounts but less than 25% given to the manager to spend, and the lowered wage budget - is that he's chosen not to, or at least not to the same extent.

His perogative. Fair enough.

What I would then say to him is - please have the decency to explain why and how that affects us going forward. Don't hide in Guernsey, saying nothing. There's no need for this thread, or multiple others like it, if there was clear, timely communication from the top.

And please don't talk about promotion - we're not idiots. Instead, how about a little praise or encouragement for your manager - is that really asking too much? Or are you really that petty? 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 9
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Cant see that - why would Pearson stick around now, if he has no intention of being here next season?

Nige did say in a recent interview with one of the national papers ( the one where he was interviewed at his local pub in Nailsea) that he fully intended to honour his contract.

I think he meant it, and he will see how things play out in the summer.

Personally I don't think he will sign again if budgets, player sales continue as per the current situation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedRock said:

The problem is Steve L, for all the errors he’s made (how many other owners would have made similar?), is still the owner I would most wish to be in charge of my Club.

A Bristol lad, passionate about Bristol, provided the Club with the physical infrastructure the envy of many in the Premier League, believer and investor in our Academy, a great Bristol Sport/Sporting Quarter vision and still with great wealth to support the delivery of that vision.

I, for one, will be sad to see him go. Be careful what you wish for, there are many, many ‘investors’ who would never get near to delivering what Steve L has for us. 

Yes but there's also investors who can deliver more.

It's not necessarily SL or bust…

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I hear what you say, and agree in some ways. 

In others...someone else could have invested more...and just in the football...and made far better decisions. 

He's liked in football circles, especially as he gives managers a decent go of it time wise. 

It's the other aforementioned situations he's created that are the problem.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember he said that in January 2022, February 2022 kinda thing.

In subsequent commenrs, Aufudy, November and Janaury to an extent he also said final numbers were still to be ratified etc.

I believe that had we kept Semenyo maybe the EFL would have referred us if not then, now. Semenyo probably saw us fine but Kieran Maguire did interestingly say early in the summer that he didn't us to be spending much.

Oh it (a breach) doesn't just come with a deduction it also comes with restrictions on paying fees etc.

I do remember the initial claim in early 2022 about how we would rather take a deduction than sell key assets.

Re FFP, the one thing that is very likely is that the EFL didn’t need to see the full £9m from the Semenyo sale, maybe a bit of “show willing” if that makes sense.  If we go back to Che Adams, Brum had bids and decided to hang on to him.  Had we decided the same with Antoine, the EFL might’ve seen it as a bit of a piss-take.  Pure speculation from me.

26 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I’m sure there are many like you too.  But the “be careful what you wish for” really grates.  Sorry.  It’s like there is nobody out there who might’ve done better / done it differently or both.

Hypothetical Question: Just imagine SL sold us to someone who we didn’t like / took us for a ride…would you think any differently about SL, ie his due diligence wasn’t really in the football club’s best interests.

I don’t think he’d do that, do you?

So, why the need to worry about who might take over?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Dolman Queen said:

and it's becoming increasingly apparent that Nigel is unlikely to receive or may not even desire a new contract.

There was a radio interview a little while back when Nigel commented re a new contract something like this:

"the club may or may not offer me a contract and I may or may not accept it if it was offered" which led me to think that he may have already told the club he wouldn't re-sign.  That would be very disappointing from my perspective.

DQ

I don't see that comment indicating he may have already told the club he wouldn't re-sign.

More that with all his experience in football management he's learnt never to take anything for granted and the board (SL) shouldn't assume anything either.

My view is that Nige is (generally) really enjoying the challenge here and fully intends to see the job through by signing another contract, and if that doesn't happen it will be because SL has cocked up, one way or another.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Re FFP, the one thing that is very likely is that the EFL didn’t need to see the full £9m from the Semenyo sale, maybe a bit of “show willing” if that makes sense.  If we go back to Che Adams, Brum had bids and decided to hang on to him.  Had we decided the same with Antoine, the EFL might’ve seen it as a bit of a piss-take.  Pure speculation from me.

I’m sure there are many like you too.  But the “be careful what you wish for” really grates.  Sorry.  It’s like there is nobody out there who might’ve done better / done it differently or both.

Hypothetical Question: Just imagine SL sold us to someone who we didn’t like / took us for a ride…would you think any differently about SL, ie his due diligence wasn’t really in the football club’s best interests.

Agree in the main on the Semenyo bit Dave but time will tell. I do believe we were unduly restricted in those 3 windows until Semenyo went compared to some other clubs but that's also another debate.

I suppose the best laid plans can still go wrong even with  a new owner. Big red flags about Morris at time of takeover? None I expect. Dai Yongge and Chansiri both went in with big plans I am sure..

Hopefully the improved regs would counteract such risks now but any sale pretty much will have a risk attached but that is also life.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't see that comment indicating he may have already told the club he wouldn't re-sign.

More that with all his experience in football management he's learnt never to take anything for granted and the board (SL) shouldn't assume anything either.

My view is that Nige is (generally) really enjoying the challenge here and fully intends to see the job through by signing another contract, and if that doesn't happen it will be because SL has cocked up, one way or another.

Yep & the Piercy article today suggests as you say, that Nige likes the area very much & wants to carry on with the job that he’s started & in my opinion, is doing extremely well.

Absolutely no reason to doubt that is the case just because he’s 60 now.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Already stated in a previous posting that I will view his legacy in the context of who he allows to purchase the Club and the nature/vision/ambition/resources of the new owner. If a Glazier-type or asset stripper, I will gauge Steve’s tenure not just wasted years, but disastrous for the Club. 

I would really hope any deal - mindful that loads of us gave SL/the Club our shares which we originally purchased when the Club were in dire trouble - will have some form of ‘arrangement’ whereby fans can veto any future transfer of ownership to persons deemed unsuitable as a custodian of our Club. Unlikely outcome, I have to say, as SL does seem to view his involvement more as an owner and not custodian - which, for me is one of his weaknesses. That said, if I’d put best part of £250 million into something I might think the same way! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is one factor which could turn out to be irrelevant but anyway.

Could the Floating Charge by Pula secured against Ashton Gate etc safeguard against new owners of uncertain motives in the medium term.

Or would it just be paid off at time of takeover.

Yes. Settled and released would be the market expectation.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes. Settled and released would be the market expectation.

Thought so, thanks EA.

In theory then SL may not come out at a loss of any kind. Or a low one anyway.

All of the equity conversions could be included In a valuation and obviously this loan.

Of course that also then comes down to how much debt he is willing to write off on departure and how much of a write off the market may expect in order to proceed wirh a purchase.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The interesting bit for me is at the bottom. If Nige is on a performance related review the comments from both Owner and CEO recently seem to indicate a slightly unrealistic performance expectation. It’s easy to be cynical about that…….

Yep. 

(My gut feeling - he has to have us top half consistently)

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

I don’t get what the board expect from Nigel. I really don’t. What other manager would tick all their boxes and yet still not get a contract? Academy pathway, reduction of wage bill, selling best players and on whole buying well. I left Bristol for the capital many many years ago, I love the city but it’s a comfy place, something Nigel alluded to in the past. He has shifted the mentality and approach in a good way I believe. I would happily give him another three years! 

• Like 16
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I don’t get what the board expect from Nigel. I really don’t. What other manager would tick all their boxes and yet still not get a contract? Academy pathway, reduction of wage bill, selling best players and on whole buying well. I left Bristol for the capital many many years ago, I love the city but it’s a comfy place, something Nigel alluded to in the past. He has shifted the mentality and approach in a good way I believe. I would happily give him another three years! 

Completely agree but he’s not a yes man or ex player who they can manipulate. NP, like very few before him, was appointed due to experience, not nepotism, which is normally the favoured aspect of the managerial decision making process. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Nige did say in a recent interview with one of the national papers ( the one where he was interviewed at his local pub in Nailsea) that he fully intended to honour his contract.

I think he meant it, and he will see how things play out in the summer.

Personally I don't think he will sign again if budgets, player sales continue as per the current situation.

I agree.

If the club shows no ambition, such as the weirdly timed austerity (I have my suspicions on that), then I would think he'd not want another contract if offered. Why carry on when the owner doesn't seem interested in cracking on ?

I can see him seeing out his contract and walking away - not often a manager gets to do that and it may appeal to him.

8 hours ago, One Team said:

Good comment, although let’s put into context SL’s wealth; circa £1.7 billion. 

Covering the costs of Scott and Semenyo would be negligible to SL. 

It we made it analogous to the wealth of the average man on the street it wouldn’t be much at all.  

I’m not even sure it’s about the money for him, I get the perception he just wants out. 

I have no idea of how much money SL has in his bank account but being worth 1.7 billion is different to having 1.7 billion. 

At the moment SL is undertaking two huge projects. The Sporting Quarter and the golf resort. The sporting quarter alone costing upwards of 150 million. 

SL isnt a guy thats gonna struggle to get finance but i'm just wondering that maybe these two projects are responsible for him wanting to reduce his funding. 

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought so, thanks EA.

In theory then SL may not come out at a loss of any kind. Or a low one anyway.

All of the equity conversions could be included In a valuation and obviously this loan.

Of course that also then comes down to how much debt he is willing to write off on departure and how much of a write off the market may expect in order to proceed wirh a purchase.

The best way for him to make his money back would be for us to get to the Premier league. 

Brighton are now worth over 225 million for example. Probably even more than that now. 

But if we were to get to the Premier league. With our facilities all in place already, we would be primed for a takeover.

• Facepalm 1