IGNORED

Cardiff City (away) - kick off time

GeoTheCiderHead

4 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Any thoughts on why? It seems highly regarded as a lovely part of the world yet seems populated by throwbacks. 

Yeah the Gower is nice, nice beaches etc but nothing much there….the city has been going down the tubes for years, the centre is a mess, huge smack problem for some reason, lack of big investment and all the money heads to the capital. Swansea councillors are notorious for wasting millions so maybe central government has had enough of them. There are decent people there but when it comes to the football they use that as a platform to take out general anger against anything cardiff, as no one pays them any attention most of the time.  We always used to laugh how behind the times they were back in the casual days, years behind most and barely any competition when we went there throughout the 80’s culminating in their complete humiliation back in 91 after a fa cup game with two huge mobs of cardiff wandering around with free will, they even famously ran at each other at one point.

that was probably the end for many, bans and jail taking over throughout the 90’s and 00’s with an fa cup game at Chelsea putting about 50 in jail in what many saw as a set up on king rd when the fans clashed. Again, another enough is enough moment. This sort of thing never happened with the jacks hence they still come bouncing around like billy big balls these days…..just 25 yrs too late!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phantom said:

That's 2+2=5

As mentioned already, it's been recognised for a few years now how this fixture no longer has flashpoints like in the past 

For once improved fan behaviour has been rewarded 

It's a lovely part of Wales, but if you go off to the local towns, they look like they're living in the 1970s still. Sadly economically etc they have been left in the past. 

This must go a long way to how people from these areas interact with other societies 

Exactly this….it’s pretty grim, no money there like much of west wales. Cornwall has similar issues, people I know who live there say despite it being very scenic, many people have low incomes…..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

Exactly this….it’s pretty grim, no money there like much of west wales. Cornwall has similar issues, people I know who live there say despite it being very scenic, many people have low incomes…..

Same for North Wales. Away from the beautiful scenery and touristy bits there are some very grim areas where there's no money and not a lot of hope of things getting better, and the same alienation/resentment towards Cardiff, not helped by the fact that getting from one end of the country to the other is such a ballache.

50 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Same for North Wales. Away from the beautiful scenery and touristy bits there are some very grim areas where there's no money and not a lot of hope of things getting better, and the same alienation/resentment towards Cardiff, not helped by the fact that getting from one end of the country to the other is such a ballache.

Just to make things even worse the Welsh Government has decided to “go for” holiday home owners/businesses in the areas mentioned. They resent the fact that most are owned by English people( in north wales) or outsiders (usually Cardiff people down south) so have trebled council tax or business rates unless you can let out for 6 months, and let’s face it no one goes to west wales or north wales coast outside of a few months of summer. So basically, they are selling up, locals can’t really afford these houses so that’s not solving the local affordable housing issues caused by the failing WAG to build any for years. What it will mean is less people staying or going to local eateries or amenities so they will go bust, less work opportunities and the cycle of low income continues in these areas….and then there’s Drakefords genius idea of a tourist tax on people going to these areas…..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One thing about Swansea, pre their PL and brief Europe, one trophy winning stint I don't recall them being that great an issue, that troublesome.

Granted I haven't been to Swansea away and in the ground I mean, but definitely worse since they returned in 2018.

They always feel like they have something to prove…..been trying for decades but never quite made it if you know what I mean.

like a little brother jumping up and down saying look at me, look at me…..take their police protection away and they melt away.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One thing about Swansea, pre their PL and brief Europe, one trophy winning stint I don't recall them being that great an issue, that troublesome.

Granted I haven't been to Swansea away and in the ground I mean, but definitely worse since they returned in 2018.

You hadn't been to the Vetch then.?

I vile place, with full on anti-English hatred running through their veins.

Quite an intimidating place to visit, quite like Ninian Park, both in their own run down, shitehole kind of a way.

Both now far friendlier in their shiny modern stadiums - to the point it always amazes me how friendly they both are to visit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Quite an intimidating place to visit, quite like Ninian Park, both in their own run down, shitehole kind of a way.

Both now far friendlier in their shiny modern stadiums - to the point it always amazes me how friendly they both are to visit.

Can't say I have no. Know more about Ninian Park, but from my recollection home games v Swansea were less problematic prior to their PL promotion than since.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can't say I have no. Know more about Ninian Park, but from my recollection home games v Swansea were less problematic prior to their PL promotion than since.

I suppose they were relatively small fry prior to their rapid rise up from the basement to reach the Prem, during which time the general size of the club & it's fanbase increased dramatically.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The vetch midweek 89/90 was a good night but not so friendly after the final whistle 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It wasn`t but oddly there never seemed to be much if any bother at AG when we played them back then.

They used to get home crowds of less than 5k back then & bar the odd cup game, I can't really remember playing them much back in those days.

The Salako game at Ashton Gate is the only game that springs to mind 88/89..? Then a couple of cup ties.

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

They used to get home crowds of less than 5k back then & bar the odd cup game, I can't really remember playing them much back in those days.

The Salako game at Ashton Gate is the only game that springs to mind 88/89..? Then a couple of cup ties.

The one over there was obviously the SuperBob game when we won 5-0. I still swear they were coming out the drains that night!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

2001 in the League, then you get a middle zone of after Vetch but also pre PL.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2011.

Whereas 2019, and in different ways 2022 and 2023 post PL all have seen issues but especially 2019.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

89/90.

The Swansea game at AG was fairly early in the season, Salako (on loan from Palace) tore us a new one, we lost 1-3.

As noted above, the return was a 5-0 at the Vetch, as we headed towards promotion, behind a team the name of which I can’t remember.

• Like 2

On 30/09/2023 at 09:03, Northern Red said:

You know full well what was meant, don't pretend otherwise.

Nope - someone saying we ‘repeatedly’ have ‘early morning’ kick offs versus the welsh clubs suggests our games kick off between 8am and 10.30am - games that kick off after 12 noon cannot be ‘repeatedly’ described as ‘early morning’ kick offs - I don’t know why some try to exaggerate simple restrictions ...

18 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Especially at 20 mph

4 hours ago, Atyeo's lift said:

Especially at 20 mph

That's only in built-up areas (as well you know 😉 )

Had some great runs up the A470 on the bike.  Pop down the A40 through the Wye Valley towards Brecon (stopping at The Bear in Crickhowell for "refilling") then up towards Builth Wells and out into the Cambrian Mountain - the "Welsh desert" where you can ride a decent fast road and not see a soul for mile upon mile.

• Like 3