IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview

Tim S

Back in 2012 Steve Lansdown gave me an exclusive interview when I produced and presented the Bristol City podcast along with Dave Lloyd...

I've just given it another listen and its quite interesting to hear what he said back then with the vision of the club comparing it to where we are now. This was when the Ashton Vale stadium was still in the works, the training ground was still a portacabin in a windy field, the robin wasn't the badge, the academy was pretty much non-existent and Bristol Rugby were still playing at The Mem.....

Its a really good listen which im very proud of - and interesting to compare what his vision for the club 11 years ago were vs where the club is now.... in fact when you listen to it and see how much things have changed in 11 years - its pretty amazing!

Have a listen and see what you think! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Great post and great listen on a BH Sunday morning. 
It will bring the usual moans and groans but he has achieved so much in the 11 years since this IV and not to be scoffed at…Ashton Vale and what we now have, the vision of the academy and the HPC all happened and producing talented young players to come through the ranks… Been relegated and promoted since and now an established Championship side.

As for those who him to go, be careful what you wish for….

• Like 15
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

It will bring the usual moans and groans but he has achieved so much in the 11 years since this IV and not to be scoffed at…Ashton Vale and what we now have, the vision of the academy and the HPC all happened and producing talented young players to come through the ranks… Been relegated and promoted since and now an established Championship side.

I wish for someone who hasn't (apparently) lost interest and enthusiasm for the club, does he even come over for games anymore (genuine question, I don't know )?

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

It doesn’t matter a jot what we wish for, Steve is getting on a bit now and will not be here holding our hand for ever. And unless his son succeeds him, things are going to change at Bristol City at some point, for (a bit) better or (much) worse. 

24 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

It doesn’t matter a jot what we wish for, Steve is getting on a bit now and will not be here holding our hand for ever. And unless his son succeeds him, things are going to change at Bristol City at some point, for (a bit) better or (much) worse. 

His son has no interest in following on from his father so your right things will change. 

Just listened to it, there was a fair amount to like in that interview won't deny that! Thanks to the OP for posting.

*Academy- We should be very happy about how it is now progressing, what we are producing.

*Ashton Vale- Not our fault, just checked and we first begun planning in in late 2007.

*Fallback for Ashton Vale- We have that.

He also spoke of club being able to survive without him. Granted in 2012 the Parachute Payments gap were nothing like as big an issue as now!

Academy cornerstone, I do get it.

Mentioned if in Bristol that he would always he popping in the office etc in conjunction with Guernsey move.

I do believe he has misjudged the market a couple of times. Then he was speaking of many players out of contract, clubs cost cutting etc. In 2012 we were to some extent cost cutting ahead of the curve to try and get ahead of the new FFP regs. He doesn't mention it in the interview but I do remember it.

On one level history doesn't repeat hyt rhymes. IMO he may have pushed the button a bit too soon and two changes this summer have moves the dial a bit.

1) Easing of work permit regs by the FA if certain criteria are met.

2) The market at Championship level is recovering perhaps faster than anticipated post Covid-19 last six weeks of the window this summer. We risk being left behind a little.

That time period seems like where the wheels came off in a lot of ways and probably marked the high watermark in terms of the relationship with the fan base.

SLs focus was shortly to expand from the football club only, to the wider Bristol Sport portfolio and I suspect his son being absolutely hammered publicly during his short stint in control probably ended what had been a fairly smooth relationship..

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

Was this the last time he spoke to the fans

Time for the bloke to sale up and move on

To be replaced by some dodgy foreign owner no doubt,what could possibly go wrong? I suspect  Steve Lansdown won't be appreciated until he's gone  although there are some like myself who have the good sense to highly value his contribution.to the club and hope it contiues.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, Tim S said:

Back in 2012 Steve Lansdown gave me an exclusive interview when I produced and presented the Bristol City podcast along with Dave Lloyd...

I've just given it another listen and its quite interesting to hear what he said back then with the vision of the club comparing it to where we are now. This was when the Ashton Vale stadium was still in the works, the training ground was still a portacabin in a windy field, the robin wasn't the badge, the academy was pretty much non-existent and Bristol Rugby were still playing at The Mem.....

Its a really good listen which im very proud of - and interesting to compare what his vision for the club 11 years ago were vs where the club is now.... in fact when you listen to it and see how much things have changed in 11 years - its pretty amazing!

Have a listen and see what you think! 

Good that. 

Are we in a better position off the pitch since then? Undoubtedly.

On the pitch we are in exactly the same position however. 

SL has made it very clear he wants to move on, but I wonder how easy that is given we’ve now created Bristol Sport? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

To be replaced by some dodgy foreign owner no doubt,what could possibly go wrong? I suspect  Steve Lansdown won't be appreciated until he's gone  although there are some like myself who have the good sense to highly value his contribution.to the club and hope it contiues.

He has done a lot of good things.

Foreign owners really could go either way, it could be a push on the solid foundations he leaves or it could go belly up, fail FFP, slide into League One and perhaps wider financial issues.

The squad is a bit short on depth however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

That time period seems like where the wheels came off in a lot of ways and probably marked the high watermark in terms of the relationship with the fan base.

SLs focus was shortly to expand from the football club only, to the wider Bristol Sport portfolio and I suspect his son being absolutely hammered publicly during his short stint in control probably ended what had been a fairly smooth relationship..

I always got the impression JL wanted to be sailing yachts around the Caribbean not being in an official role with us. 

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I wish for someone who hasn't (apparently) lost interest and enthusiasm for the club, does he even come over for games anymore (genuine question, I don't know )?

Yeah he still attends home games at least. As for enthusiasm,  I don't  know.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, One Team said:

Good that. 

Are we in a better position off the pitch since then? Undoubtedly.

On the pitch we are in exactly the same position however. 

SL has made it very clear he wants to move on, but I wonder how easy that is given we’ve now created Bristol Sport? 

I'd say in some ways we are better off on the pitch, the Championship League identical though yes.

By which I mean:

Pearson > McInnes and perhaps any manager since..well in my time yes (1998), others may have different views.

The squad has a better age profile.

The academy is producing a lot set against 10 years ago- that covers both on and off pitch.

Otoh the squad is a bit thin,  maybe 2-3 light IMO.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He has done a lot of good things.

Foreign owners really could go either way, it could be a push on the solid foundations he leaves or it could go belly up, fail FFP, slide into League One and perhaps wider financial issues.

The squad is a bit short on depth however.

I suspect the people looking for investment are pretty clear on the type of investor needed.  I’m sure that’s why it’s taking a while t9 find the right one(s).

@ORANGE500 as per above there are dodgy owners, foreign or not, there are also good foreign owners too.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say in some ways we are better off on the pitch, the Championship League identical though yes.

By which I mean:

Pearson > McInnes and perhaps any manager since..well in my time yes (1998), others may have different views.

The squad has a better age profile.

The academy is producing a lot set against 10 years ago- that covers both on and off pitch.

Otoh the squad is a bit thin,  maybe 2-3 light IMO.

Agreed on academy although I had in my head that was an off the pitch plus but I get your point. I just meant League position really. 

22 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Why does everybody assume this!?!? Such a wierd mentality to live by. We will be fine. Extremely attractive proposition for any future owner, we aren’t some tinpot backwater club like Bury and Southend ffs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Plenty of good foreign owners still exist.

We are no further forward on the pitch (where it matters) compared to when he arrived!

Keep sniveling up to him, it's what he likes

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, One Team said:

Agreed on academy although I had in my head that was an off the pitch plus but I get your point. I just meant League position really. 

We were on a downward trajectory under McInnes and Millen for that matter- however, under NP we appear to have bottomed out and if anything could be trending in the opposite direction.

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

Why does everybody assume this!?!? Such a wierd mentality to live by. We will be fine. Extremely attractive proposition for any future owner, we aren’t some tinpot backwater club like Bury and Southend ffs.

Tbh best laid plans. Dodgy or incompetent can both lead to significant downside risks. Or If it goes well- upsides.

Reading who already had something of an infrastructure in place in 2017. Dai Yongge- he has proved to be grossly incompetent. He took then over as losing play-off finalists in that year 2017, albeit that was the final season of Parachute Payments. By 2020 they were in special measures FFP wise!

West Brom a brilliantly run club but always to the wire. Fairly disastrous! Solid PL, Category One Academy, 20-25k attendances.

Chansiri, took over a solid and stable Sheffield Wednesday middling in the Championship with relatively low losses. They did actually reach Play off final in Year One. We all know how that declined.

Otoh Burnley were taken over from a position of strength and although they went down, perhaps it was a step back to go forwards.

Cardiff went up but all is not good there now. They went up twice but clearly needed Parachute Payments to sustain their Business model. May fail FFP this season although their fans are adamant they are aok.

In an FFP world, taking over a club without Parachute Payments..a new owner will inherit a strong position but 2, 3 years tops before it goes belly up.

Okay I'll put what I suspect the proposition would be.

SL sells up or relinquishes control. New foreign owner comes in.

1) There is plenty of headroom to invest over 2, maybe 3 years.

2) However as part of the new Owners and Directors Test your takeover must show an FFP compliant Business Plan for the next 2 years. To take account of the Change of Control- the new owner inherits the present FFP position.

3) The Parachute Payments are still in play, FFP rules or the new Salary Cap rules are still in play.

The challenge is to get up in two seasons, three seasons tops or it may go belly up for the club. Assuming we want someone to come in and splash the cash, how much cash to you want the club to splash, how far do you want to push it.

Further, loopholes have been shut. Selling a ground or any kind of Fixed Asset to make good a deficit is no longer an option. Indeed selling shares in a company that owns it is no longer an option.

Debt write offs don't affect the FFP results either.

Think the League are more proactive with Related or Associated Party sponsorships too.

Anyway yeah maybe a new owner is needed but would be good to see the Business Plan of those who propose it.

Oh also a new owner may sack Pearson as often happens when a new owner arrives. They tend to want their own manager.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh best laid plans. Dodgy or incompetent can both lead to significant downside risks. Or If it goes well- upsides.

Reading who already had something of an infrastructure in place in 2017. Dai Yongge- he has proved to be grossly incompetent. He took then over as losing play-off finalists in that year 2017, albeit that was the final season of Parachute Payments. By 2020 they were in special measures FFP wise!

West Brom a brilliantly run club but always to the wire. Fairly disastrous! Solid PL, Category One Academy, 20-25k attendances.

Chansiri, took over a solid and stable Sheffield Wednesday middling in the Championship with relatively low losses. They did actually reach Play off final in Year One. We all know how that declined.

Otoh Burnley were taken over from a position of strength and although they went down, perhaps it was a step back to go forwards.

Cardiff went up but all is not good there now. They went up twice but clearly needed Parachute Payments to sustain their Business model. May fail FFP this season although their fans are adamant they are aok.

In an FFP world, takinf over a club without Parachute Payments..a new owner will inherit a strong position but 2, 3 years tops before it goes belly up.

Ipswich, Millwall and Plymouth, at our level (at the moment)

Fulham, Bournmouth and Villa above us but not huge clubs

Wrexham way below us

All have foreign ownership and look to be soundly run

Don't be frightened of change, it has as much chance or working for us as against us

12 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Plenty of good foreign owners still exist.

We are no further forward on the pitch (where it matters) compared to when he arrived!

Keep sniveling up to him, it's what he likes

Given the natutre of your previous posts you're never going to  recognise and appreciate what Steve Lansdown has done for Bristol City. Perhaps  you will get your wish soon there must be a foreign businessman with a questionable background(to say the least ) out there or maybe  an Arab guy from one of those lovely Middle Eastern utopias waiting in the wings to take over the club, Why does the   idiom be careful what you wish seem appropriate?.

Just now, ORANGE500 said:

Given the natutre of your previous posts you're never going to  recognise and appreciate what Steve Lansdown has done for Bristol City. Perhaps  you will get your wish soon there must be a foreign businessman with a questionable background(to say the least ) out there or maybe  an Arab guy from one of those lovely Middle Eastern utopias waiting in the wings to take over the club, Why does the   idiom be careful what you wish seem appropriate?.

The idiom does not seem appropriate

For every bad one there's a good one as well

Some people are afraid of change

BCFC was here before Lansdown and will be here a long time after him

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

50 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Ipswich, Millwall and Plymouth, at our level (at the moment)

Fulham, Bournmouth and Villa above us but not huge clubs

Wrexham way below us

All have foreign ownership and look to be soundly run

Don't be frightened of change, it has as much chance or working for us as against us

All a bit more nuanced.

Ipswich time will tell, their wage bill increased faster than their turnover in 2021-22.

Millwall soundly run but not exactly pushing to the next level yet. Doing fine however.

Simon Hallett is from Plymouth. They had US investors I believe?

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/simon-hallett-explains-exit-plymouth-8660527

Fulham had Al-Fayed and Parachute Payments or PL cash every year since 2001-02! Not a great comparison. To be taken over by an even wealthier owner. He turbocharged their rise from 1997 to 2001.

Aston Villa are a major club much as I dislike them, not a good comparison! In addition they were in receipt of Parachute Payments.

Bournemouth got up in 2015 cheating FFP when it was much easier to do so, then underpinned by Parachute Payments so again not the best comparison.

• Like 4