IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview

Tim S

11 hours ago, Tim S said:

Back in 2012 Steve Lansdown gave me an exclusive interview when I produced and presented the Bristol City podcast along with Dave Lloyd...

I've just given it another listen and its quite interesting to hear what he said back then with the vision of the club comparing it to where we are now. This was when the Ashton Vale stadium was still in the works, the training ground was still a portacabin in a windy field, the robin wasn't the badge, the academy was pretty much non-existent and Bristol Rugby were still playing at The Mem.....

Its a really good listen which im very proud of - and interesting to compare what his vision for the club 11 years ago were vs where the club is now.... in fact when you listen to it and see how much things have changed in 11 years - its pretty amazing!

Have a listen and see what you think! 

Before the rugby, the training ground, the robin, the academy……Downsy!

Whatever happened to Tim Shires? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh best laid plans. Dodgy or incompetent can both lead to significant downside risks. Or If it goes well- upsides.

Reading who already had something of an infrastructure in place in 2017. Dai Yongge- he has proved to be grossly incompetent. He took then over as losing play-off finalists in that year 2017, albeit that was the final season of Parachute Payments. By 2020 they were in special measures FFP wise!

West Brom a brilliantly run club but always to the wire. Fairly disastrous! Solid PL, Category One Academy, 20-25k attendances.

Chansiri, took over a solid and stable Sheffield Wednesday middling in the Championship with relatively low losses. They did actually reach Play off final in Year One. We all know how that declined.

Otoh Burnley were taken over from a position of strength and although they went down, perhaps it was a step back to go forwards.

Cardiff went up but all is not good there now. They went up twice but clearly needed Parachute Payments to sustain their Business model. May fail FFP this season although their fans are adamant they are aok.

In an FFP world, takinf over a club without Parachute Payments..a new owner will inherit a strong position but 2, 3 years tops before it goes belly up.

The thing is mate none of those clubs would swap what they’ve done to be like Bristol city .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

The thing is mate none of those clubs would swap what they’ve done to be like Bristol city .

Reading under Dai Yongge, Sheffield Wednesday under Chansiri?

West Brom under Lai is a tricky one. He took over when they were established to some extent in the PL. 6 seasons prior and entering Year 7. Within 2 years They were relegated!

They came back up within 2 years but also worth pointing out that they were in receipt of Parachute and PL cash between 2002-03 and 2022-23 through yoyoing etc. That has gone! Championship cash only now.

Some of the others granted but it doesn't half help when you have Parachute Payments or a very solid base to build on.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

The idiom does not seem appropriate

For every bad one there's a good one as well

Some people are afraid of change

BCFC was here before Lansdown and will be here a long time after him

I don't think the fact the current ownership of Bristol City are from the local area is valued  enough by those who live or originate from that same area, it used to be the norm now sadly it's very rare for an English football club. As I previously posted he won't be appreciated until he's gone many on this forum it seems won't care who takes over the club or how they've  acquired their fortune or how the club is run probably accept a blue home shirt if it meant Premier league football but how the club will be will make it superficial and meaningless.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Ipswich, Millwall and Plymouth, at our level (at the moment)

Fulham, Bournmouth and Villa above us but not huge clubs

Wrexham way below us

All have foreign ownership and look to be soundly run

Don't be frightened of change, it has as much chance or working for us as against us

Villa not a huge club? If not huge there rather larger than us.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

I don't think the fact the current ownership of Bristol City are from the local area is valued  enough by those who live or originate from that same area, it used to be the norm now sadly it's very rare for an English football club. As I previously posted he won't be appreciated until he's gone many on this forum it seems won't care who takes over the club or how they've  acquired their fortune or how the club is run probably accept a blue home shirt if it meant Premier league football but how the club will be will make it superficial and meaningless.

Its not the norm any more because most of them failed to deliver success! As per lansdown

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Very true, probs not the best comparison, but don't forget they were somewhat in the doldrums before foreign investment

They also had Parachute Payments to help underpin.

Plus a higher loss limit for Years 1 and 2 under Xia (for each PL season add £22m to the £39m).

In Year 3 they used loopholes which are no longer applicable if you but bother to check.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

Why does everybody assume this!?!? Such a wierd mentality to live by. We will be fine. Extremely attractive proposition for any future owner, we aren’t some tinpot backwater club like Bury and Southend ffs.

Clubs bigger than us have had poor owners take over. But I expect SL to do his due diligence when handing the reigns over. Only if he dies in situ would I be really concerned. Even then I expect there to be a robust plan in place to dispose of his interest in the club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Clubs bigger than us have had poor owners take over. But I expect SL to do his due diligence when handing the reigns over. Only if he dies in situ would I be really concerned. Even then I expect there to be a robust plan in place to dispose of his interest in the club.

Of course bigger clubs have had poor owners, but it seems as though people think we will go the way of Bury ect and end up extinct! Such an odd way of thinking. As someone earlier mentioned, we always mock and praise the almighty that we aren’t Cardiff with their owners……but do you honestly think Cardiff would swap thier current situation and history for ours?  Not a fooking chance they would!

People mention other clubs owners sailing close to FFP & sanctions ect…….ummm hello, were we not in this same position a year or so ago!?!?! At least the likes of West Brom, Bournemouth & Cardiff ect actually managed to get some success with thier owners.

I’m not anti-Lansdown & i do think he has done well for the club and his heart is in the right place, but i am absolutely convinced this club is in need of some fresh ownership if we are to become successful.

• Like 1

The bloke has been great for this football club from the bottom up. 

You only have to look around you on match day and wander up the HPC.  

Bristol Sport has changed Sport in Bristol forever and more particularly South Bristol. 

I personally really wanted Ashton Vale, but that wasn’t to be, but the club moved forward with plan B that provided loads of jobs in a number of industries both directly with the club and indirectly to the area plus first class Rugby Union 

How are Derby WBA QPR and more than two dozen other clubs that have or are teetering around on the edge paying their bills? Who knows! 

The football club is an established second tier side something we have not been able to say since before Alan Dicks got us promotion, damn him for losing that status (a little jokette) 

Mistakes have been made on the football management side that is for sure. Despite what @Robbored might think Danny Wilson failed consistently. Then you look at Tin’s, Millen, McInnes, SoD et al and you think BLOODY HELL what dross. 

Cotterill was excellent but fell out with SL over funding. Leading directly to LJ!

What a mess with the clubs money leading directly to financial meltdown ably assisted by Covid and possible sanction. Holden was something of an unsupported place holder who was like a deer ? in headlights

Finally the mess had to be cleared up. Our academy started producing good footballers and we could do a little shopping for some lower league prospects. We now are a club on the rise with a bloke who knows what he’s doing as manager. 

Yes mistakes were made, that some love to constantly put at the feet of the bloke that has bank rolled the club and the development of the club we are now. 

Posts like Lansdown should sell up are beyond a joke, until someone can point to a buyer that will safe guard the club and what’s been built around Bristol City FC. COYRs

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

Given the natutre of your previous posts you're never going to  recognise and appreciate what Steve Lansdown has done for Bristol City. Perhaps  you will get your wish soon there must be a foreign businessman with a questionable background(to say the least ) out there or maybe  an Arab guy from one of those lovely Middle Eastern utopias waiting in the wings to take over the club, Why does the   idiom be careful what you wish seem appropriate?.

If Steve L still cares for the future of Bristol City he will sell to responsible new owners.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

If Steve L still cares for the future of Bristol City he will sell to responsible new owners.

2 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

......and give NP a contract extension sooner rather than later.

• Like 4

Thing is what do we class as success? Get to the Prem and stay there? Big ask.

Bounce between Prem and Championship with parachute payments? Again, big ask.

Or stay as a midtable Championship side flirting with top end, bottom end occasionally? Most likely outcome.

I maybe alone but I don't want promotion if it means almost instant relegation whilst being the Prems whipping boys. 

People say we are Prem ready, but are we really?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The bloke has been great for this football club from the bottom up. 

You only have to look around you on match day and wander up the HPC.  

Bristol Sport has changed Sport in Bristol forever and more particularly South Bristol. 

I personally really wanted Ashton Vale, but that wasn’t to be, but the club moved forward with plan B that provided loads of jobs in a number of industries both directly with the club and indirectly to the area plus first class Rugby Union 

How are Derby WBA QPR and more than two dozen other clubs that have or are teetering around on the edge paying their bills? Who knows! 

The football club is an established second tier side something we have not been able to say since before Alan Dicks got us promotion, damn him for losing that status (a little jokette) 

Mistakes have been made on the football management side that is for sure. Despite what @Robbored might think Danny Wilson failed consistently. Then you look at Tin’s, Millen, McInnes, SoD et al and you think BLOODY HELL what dross. 

Cotterill was excellent but fell out with SL over funding. Leading directly to LJ!

What a mess with the clubs money leading directly to financial meltdown ably assisted by Covid and possible sanction. Holden was something of an unsupported place holder who was like a deer ? in headlights

Finally the mess had to be cleared up. Our academy started producing good footballers and we could do a little shopping for some lower league prospects. We now are a club on the rise with a bloke who knows what he’s doing as manager. 

Yes mistakes were made, that some love to constantly put at the feet of the bloke that has bank rolled the club and the development of the club we are now. 

Posts like Lansdown should sell up are beyond a joke, until someone can point to a buyer that will safe guard the club and what’s been built around Bristol City FC. COYRs

Absolutely agree with your post how anyone cannot recognise and appreciate all Steve Lansdown has down for the club is unfathomable but then again Bristol City do have some of the worst moaning whinging so called supporters of any football club in the country perhaps the whole world. If city did make it to the Premier league 6 months after the celebrations and the team near the bottom the same people will be calling for the manager to be sacked and the players all a load of crap you can absolutely guarantee it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reading under Dai Yongge, Sheffield Wednesday under Chansiri?

West Brom under Lai is a tricky one. He took over when they were established to some extent in the PL. 6 seasons prior and entering Year 7. Within 2 years They were relegated!

They came back up within 2 years but also worth pointing out that they were in receipt of Parachute and PL cash between 2002-03 and 2022-23 through yoyoing etc. That has gone! Championship cash only now.

Some of the others granted but it doesn't half help when you have Parachute Payments or a very solid base to build on.

Sorry what I meant was none of those clubs would swap what they’ve done in the past to be like Bristol city under the lansdowns . For example Portsmouth had it bad for year but they wouldn’t swap any of the success before that to be like a steady Bristol city .

3 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Sorry what I meant was none of those clubs would swap what they’ve done in the past to be like Bristol city under the lansdowns . For example Portsmouth had it bad for year but they wouldn’t swap any of the success before that to be like a steady Bristol city .

I see your point now yeah. There have been highs and some catastrophic lows with Portsmouth and others. The bad times make the good times all the better for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, One Team said:

I always got the impression JL wanted to be sailing yachts around the Caribbean not being in an official role with us. 

Reading the comments from many on here about him and his Dad, I wouldn't blame him.

Edited by downendcity

3 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

Given the natutre of your previous posts you're never going to  recognise and appreciate what Steve Lansdown has done for Bristol City. Perhaps  you will get your wish soon there must be a foreign businessman with a questionable background(to say the least ) out there or maybe  an Arab guy from one of those lovely Middle Eastern utopias waiting in the wings to take over the club, Why does the   idiom be careful what you wish seem appropriate?.

Your various posts seem to imply the next owner must be worse.  Why does the next owner have to fall into “there must be a foreign businessman with a questionable background(to say the least ) out there or maybe  an Arab guy from one of those lovely Middle Eastern utopias waiting in the wings to take over the club”?

And just for sake of argument, some of our fan base might be happier with a boom and bust type like Vincent Tan.

Just because SL has chosen this route for the club, doesn’t mean it’s the only one.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Great post and great listen on a BH Sunday morning. 
It will bring the usual moans and groans but he has achieved so much in the 11 years since this IV and not to be scoffed at…Ashton Vale and what we now have, the vision of the academy and the HPC all happened and producing talented young players to come through the ranks… Been relegated and promoted since and now an established Championship side.

As for those who him to go, be careful what you wish for….

It's not about being careful what you wish for it's about how stale the clubs become the way I look at it there's far to much to much going on women's football, Bristol bears, The basketball the new project outside the ground The new golfing venture.

This isn't about the football club no more and I feel money has been wasted over the years not to the want of trying but you can't have passion for one thing this is about the passion for the entire project  Bristol sport not just Bristol city FC.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, frenchred said:

Ipswich, Millwall and Plymouth, at our level (at the moment)

Fulham, Bournmouth and Villa above us but not huge clubs

Wrexham way below us

All have foreign ownership and look to be soundly run

Don't be frightened of change, it has as much chance or working for us as against us

Plymouth’s owner is from….Plymouth.

Beyond that apart from the Villa bit (they are miles bigger than us) I totally agree, I used to be really proud that our owner was local, but I no longer care.

He changes the club that we should emulate (apparently it is Luton at present) about as often as most of us change our socks & his son doesn’t seem to care or have the first idea as to how to be a chairman.

If we sell up to a foreign owner then as long as the money has been made legally (which almost certainly means to an American), I’d welcome it now.

The investment in the infrastructure has been great but his track record on managers is truly dismal & it is incredible how little he still understands about the football industry after all these years.

• Like 4
  • Flames 5
  • Robin 1

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Your various posts seem to imply the next owner must be worse.  Why does the next owner have to fall into “there must be a foreign businessman with a questionable background(to say the least ) out there or maybe  an Arab guy from one of those lovely Middle Eastern utopias waiting in the wings to take over the club”?

And just for sake of argument, some of our fan base might be happier with a boom and bust type like Vincent Tan.

Just because SL has chosen this route for the club, doesn’t mean it’s the only one.

That's more than fine although as you, me, many on here would know if we go down that path and why not, and it doesn't result in promotion by Year 3 at the latest then I hope they would also be cognisant of the major downsides.

Some clubs got a huge reprieve in part due to Covid but that isn't likely again as hopefully there will never be another society shutting Pandemic!

I digress, by all means people can have this preference or any preference but hopefully they also understand the downside risks associated with it.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Which alternate routes do you refer to Dave?

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Which alternate routes do you refer to Dave?

At its most simplest…one idea - Invest in the playing squad rather than infrastructure, get promoted then use the £££s to sort the infrastructure out.

Alongside this invest in the best recruitment set up you can.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

What comments , not read 1 post having a real go at sl , we are aloud to criticise him, he is after all a custodian of our club.

This is true. Under his custody we are an established tier two club with fantastic facilities other income streams attracting some of the best young talent around etc etc! 

But of course you are right in terms of football management decisions he is open to criticism The financial backing of an inexperienced manager that at no time experienced having money really put the ‘tin hat’ pun intended on some poor decisions. 

• Like 1