IGNORED

Chris Garland

Two of my grandchildren were mascots for Chelsea on Friday versus Luton. Their Dad is a long time season ticket holder. I was reading the programme today and there was a nice piece in there  commemorating Chris Garland. I never realised that he was in the squad that recorded "Blue is the colour". And as they said every time it is played at Chelsea, Chris can be heard. What a nice thought.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Two of my grandchildren were mascots for Chelsea on Friday versus Luton. Their Dad is a long time season ticket holder. I was reading the programme today and there was a nice piece in there  commemorating Chris Garland. I never realised that he was in the squad that recorded "Blue is the colour". And as they said every time it is played at Chelsea, Chris can be heard. What a nice thought.

As a kid Chris Garland was the primary reason I fell in love with City and idolised him so much I became a City & Chelsea fan when he moved , and ‘Blue is the colour’ , which I still have somewhere ,was the first record I ever bought 

Great memories all round

• Like 6

After the Ashton Gate 8 period, Chris and Geoff Merrick went to play in Hong Kong together, and were housed in an apartment about 8 stories up. If you read Geoff Merrick's autobiography, he tells the story of how one night Garland wanted to go out on the town but Merrick didn't so off Chris went, forgetting his front door key, so after Geoff had gone to bed, he heard a knocking on the window. Chris had climbed the 8 stories up to the room to be let in, but couldn't as there were bars on the window. He had to go all the way down again, with Chinese voices shouting at him. R.I.P to  City legend.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Two days ago we said goodbye to Chris. 

You might like this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Loved Chris. City to the very core. Getting on the end of the goals against Liverpool was nuts. I was given special permission to be there as I was in “boarding school”. But the bloke wanted to pour forward against Coventry at 2/2 and Geoff had to tell him to shut the eff up and sit behind the half way line. 

Not so sure about his maths. 

Kids talk about legends because it’s a 21st century sound bite. This bloke was a bloody hero!

• Flames 1

13 hours ago, spudski said:

Two days ago we said goodbye to Chris. 

You might like this...

Listen to the roars of the crowd, and not just when the ball hits the back of the net.

Fantastic atmosphere, exactly what attracted me to the game.

You forget how good it used to be.

Football matches are so much quieter now with a far slower tempo, far less excitement and crowd involvement, and all too often plain boring.

You get the odd good game, but so much that made attending football matches special has gone now. ☹️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Listen to the roars of the crowd, and not just when the ball hits the back of the net.

Football matches are so much quieter now with a far slower tempo, far less excitement and crowd involvement, and all too often plain boring.

You get the odd good game, but so much that made attending football matches special has gone now. ☹️

Yes...atmospheres were definitely better. 

As for the football...it's become diluted because we are saturated with it. You can watch it 24/7. 

Back then you couldn't. 

It was an occasion back then. 

Now it's just something we do. 

I've also spoken about it before...where sports becomes too perfect. 

Football at a higher levels is. 

It's the imperfections and mistakes that can make sport more exciting to watch for the spectator. 

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes...atmospheres were definitely better. 

As for the football...it's become diluted because we are saturated with it. You can watch it 24/7. 

Back then you couldn't. 

It was an occasion back then. 

Now it's just something we do. 

I've also spoken about it before...where sports becomes too perfect. 

Football at a higher levels is. 

It's the imperfections and mistakes that can make sport more exciting to watch for the spectator. 

Before my time but my broad understanding was..

Something like.

Big Match with Selected games and or Regional highlights.

MOTD

Major tournaments and obviously Home Nations Internationals live.

The FA Cup final

Odd selected European Cup game

Odd live League game?

That was your lot.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That is true in our memories but if you watch a lot of games from the 70s on YouTube it's striking how often the crowd is rather quiet. You can often hear individual voices in the crowd. Though Brian Moore was not compelled to apologise if we heard any bad language at least!?

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Before my time but my broad understanding was..

Something like.

Big Match with Selected games and or Regional highlights.

MOTD

Major tournaments and obviously Home Nations Internationals live.

The FA Cup final

Odd selected European Cup game

Odd live League game?

That was your lot.

Radio 2 would transmit European cup and European CWC games live. I remember huddling around a Robert’s in the late 60s and early 70s 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1