IGNORED

Is Massengo about to free up some Funds

37 minutes ago, Tomo said:

The Michael Obafemi was just a suggestion but I didn't realise he was injured to be fair. Burnley probably won't play him anyway when he's fit. He was only given a 1 year contract which tells me he was only signed for back up...

Nor did I until I mentioned his name and others to someone who knows!!!

• Like 1

Simple maths indicate that we could get a player on £10K a week for 2 years based on the potential compensation fee for Massengo.  If we gave someone a 3yr contract this is only a 500k ish investment contract wise.

if we spent 5% of the Scott fee on a creative player that gives us 1.25M which I’m sure there are players available for that who might at least get us off our seats once in a game at home.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tin said:

See my post on the other thread: if the wage budget was set in March when Scott was a BCFC player, why was there no plan in place to increase the budget when Scott was sold? I do not understand why SL, who’s made billions from financial services, cannot plan for various scenarios and kick those plans into action when needed. It’s mental. 

Exactly. And the only conclusion is that Lansdown intended to bank the money all along. This is the plan.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Exactly. And the only conclusion is that Lansdown intended to bank the money all along. This is the plan.

If that’s the case, it’s time a) he stops talking about promotion as it’s wholly unrealistic, and b) sells BCFC and Ashton Gate as soon as possible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I am fed up with all his PR talk. We will never get to PL under SL, strongly believe that. Same old, same old. Time for change. 

You’re right. That’s exactly what it is - PR talk, isn’t it? We hear it every year…. But only when season tickets need to be shifted and optimism is at its highest (due to us not actually playing games ?). 

My favourite question on the club’s (SL’s) ambition seem very relevant:

If you had to bet your home on it, which way will City next exit this division, up or down? 

15 hours ago, tin said:

See my post on the other thread: if the wage budget was set in March when Scott was a BCFC player, why was there no plan in place to increase the budget when Scott was sold? I do not understand why SL, who’s made billions from financial services, cannot plan for various scenarios and kick those plans into action when needed. It’s mental. 

Yes.

In business planning you have an agreed budget but update the forecast through the year with projected variances from that budget.

If there is no specific and justified reason for those variances then they have to be eliminated as far as possible.

If however there is a good reason for one which was not known, or not certainly known, when the budget was set then the forecast variance becomes accepted and replaces the budget.

For BCFC there should have been at least two budgets prepared: one if Alex was sold and one if he wasn't.

You don't just stick rigidly to one budget when the initial assumptions of that budget have been proven to be wrong because of new information.

I'm a finance guy but I know that finance is there to inform operational decisions in real time and not to put wholly unnecessary shackles upon a business.

Accountants don't just say "No".

Or rather shouldn't, if they are any good.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

13 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

You’re right. That’s exactly what it is - PR talk, isn’t it? We hear it every year…. But only when season tickets need to be shifted and optimism is at its highest (due to us not actually playing games ?). 

My favourite question on the club’s (SL’s) ambition seem very relevant:

If you had to bet your home on it, which way will City next exit this division, up or down? 

I buy my season ticket because I want to watch Bristol City, the club I support, with my son every other week / match day.

I suspect most of our 15k are similar to me, they buy regardless.  The minority choose whether to buy or not on expectation.  I’ve heard countless times that x isn’t gonna but a season ticket next season, that’s it, they’ve had enough…yet they do.

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Pearson said something along the lines of he'd not be happy if at the last minute he was told there is some money to spend. 

To be clear he was making the point that signing someone on deadline day without the time to do proper diligence on a signing was ridiculous.

He also talked about how clubs panic & make wild offers, alluding to this with us 3 transfer windows ago.

Made a lot of sense.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

To be clear he was making the point that signing someone on deadline day without the time to do proper diligence on a signing was ridiculous.

He also talked about how clubs panic & make wild offers, alluding to this with us 3 transfer windows ago.

Made a lot of sense.

It was quite clear to me from the tone that NP would pissed off if the club did a u-turn now.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2023 at 18:32, Numero Uno said:

Perhaps I’ve got this wrong but the message I’m reading isn’t the fee paid but that we are on 99% or whatever of wage budget and the two items seem to be completely separate for whatever reason?

I’m sorry but our wage budget appears to be laughable . We have a squad of just 22 pros , 17 of which are outfield players and five of which are aged 17-21 from the academy . Either two or three are earning about £5m a year or our wage budget is a joke bearing zero relation to turnover ! For the first time now I’m seriously feeling our club is being utterly mismanaged from the top and deeply regret renewing my season ticket right now . Haven’t felt this peed off since since we went bust in 82

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

I’m sorry but our wage budget appears to be laughable . We have a squad of just 22 pros , 17 of which are outfield players and five of which are aged 17-21 from the academy . Either two or three are earning about £5m a year or our wage budget is a joke bearing zero relation to turnover ! For the first time now I’m seriously feeling our club is being utterly mismanaged from the top and deeply regret renewing my season ticket right now . Haven’t felt this peed off since since we went bust in 82

I reckon the club wage bill is about £19m, BCFC Holdings consolidated wage bill probably £24-25m.

• Like 1

This isn’t a HNM pop (good luck to him), but does anyone think Burnley are a bit of a basket case at the moment? They seen to have signed a lot of players of much of a muchness level and are weaker by far than last year. Yes, the promotion was built on loans some of whom won’t return but they’ve missed out on players like Tella who was available. You then get to game one and Kompany has signed shedloads of players meaning a top performer like Brownhill is benched.

It feels to me like a manager trying to be too clever by half, and the three coming up also going down are now only threatened in my eyes by Everton and Wolves

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I reckon the club wage bill is about £19m, BCFC Holdings consolidated wage bill probably £24-25m.

If we’re paying that to five teenagers and half a dozen thirty somethings like James, Wells, Weiman &  King then we seriously need to question the management of the club . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Surprised it is the first time you feel the club is being mismanaged from the top. It is a common thread that runs through Lansdown reign. Poor decisions, many poor managers and never backing the team when they really need it. Unfortunately I think the logical conclusion to this will be relegation this season.

48 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Made a lot of sense.

It did, think he was alluding to Cardiff trying sign Kasey Palmer one minute and then Nahki Wells a day or so later

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

If we’re paying that to five teenagers and half a dozen thirty somethings like James, Wells, Weiman &  King then we seriously need to question the management of the club . 

It's not just the players it's the youth, the manager, the coaches, possibly the directors. Community, Women's team  all the staff related to the Football Club.

Then there is AGL. Events but events cost. £5-6m wage bill there maybe, that as a percentage of turnover is more of a normal business ratio.

In 2020-21 it was £35m..

Remember too but not just base wage, but bonuses, then NI and pension.

The industry of football as a business...hmm.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's not just the players it's the youth, the manager, the coaches, possibly the directors. Community, Women's team  all the staff related to the Football Club.

Then there is AGL. Events but events cost. £5-6m wage bill there maybe, that as a percentage of turnover is more of a normal business ratio.

In 2020-21 it was £35m..

Remember too but not just base wage, but bonuses, then NI and pension.

The industry of football as a business...hmm.

But we're known in footballing circles for having a larger than most number of employed non footballing staff 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

But we're known in footballing circles for having a larger than most number of employed non footballing staff 

Thanks although in which areas exactly. AGL as a percentage of turnover to wages is around 40 pct, other costs seem to be a big factor but sadly not well defined.

The radio is about similar to Cardiff. Football v non Football as per 2021-22 Accounts if we take Football to be 75-80 pct of wage bill.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous