IGNORED

Steve Lansdown……..

BCFC1512

6 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Genuine question - do we think we sell our best players faster/more frequently than other Championship clubs do? If so, is there evidence to support this?

Is it possible that we retain our best players for time periods similar to that of other Championship clubs, but they are: 
A) More effective than us in making progress in the league whilst those players are at the club, and;
B) More effective than us in spending the money gained from player sales 

I think we sell up as soon as players show any signs of consistency at this level which resets the sitting managers game plan and playing style completely! The selling of Scott was IMO a slap in the face to Pearsons plans this season and he is venting publicly while biting his tongue at the same time ! 

Edited by Fred89
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wonder if his interest is on the wane a bit.

The move to Guernsey, the age. Other projects...sometimes leaders run their course.

I think his interest waned during the latter years of LJ. Sure the idea was to pass responsibility for the running of the Club to Jon, assisted by MA with (relatively) small cash injections as necessary. He was planning to going off to enjoy a leisurely retirement watching City from afar.

Jon though went awol and MA seemed to just take control for his own benefit.

Steve has been lumbered with the overseeing the running of the Club, which over the last few Seasons has cost him £10 millions annually. I suspect he derives little enjoyment from his involvement. Frankly, probably views it as a right pain in the ar$e. Think he has had more than enough. Think most of us in his position would be of a similar mind.

Clearly bad judgements were made on appointments, when to invest and when not, the lack of building a decent scouting network and a plan to build a cohesive team. However, on the upside we now have a decent stadium, training facility and an Academy the envy of many. I think the Bristol Sport concept is sound too and IF the sporting quarter is delivered, a unique sporting complex and one to be proud of. 

The Holy Grail has not been delivered though and, ultimately, he will be judged on that by many. However, solid foundations are in place to push on to the next stage. Vital now he passes the baton on to someone who has the means and ability to realise our dream. Fear is if it’s a Glazer-type enterprise then everything he’s invested in the Club is likely to be rendered worthless. I’ll judge Steve’s involvement in our Club based on who takes over. 

• Like 7

I'm surprised by how many people think we should have kept Scott, like would I rather keep or sell... obviously I'd have kept but when it comes to FFP and the fact a club offered what we said we wanted for him it was one of those deals we couldn't turn down. On the one hand if he'd of stayed we may have had a run at promotion, but on the other, more realistic hand we could have ended mid-table with a £25m player walking out for nothing.
I fully understand wanting to progress and hold onto players like Scott but imagine if we'd have kept him and he'd left on a free, we'd still be the same player down and with £25m less in the bank meaning if a new manager does come in we'd have to employ him with the knowledge that he'd not be able to spend anything.

I honestly think Pearson leaves the end of the season as his contract is up right? I'm sure it was a 3 year contract in 2021 that he signed. I can't see him wanting to continue on this project if he's not going to be able to spend, he's already spent his time here cutting down a huge wage bill and still managing to keep us with a Championship team. People may say we're not a Championship team but we really are, we're just not a top half one with the current injuries. I can see some of our fans having a very big shock if Pearson goes as we'll bring someone in, they'll have very little to work with and won't have the reputation that Pearson has within the footballing world which I think helps him sign good players for low prices. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Sadly NP will take us down in my opinion . His contract is up at the end and there’s been no mention of any extension. It would appear all parties might be happy to part ways come May with no funds being given to a departing coach . That has relegation written all over it sadly and that’s no reflection on Pearson . 

I don't think he will. Because he will be gone. 

His successor might though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

What about Murray , Peacock, Lita if you want to go back to historical previous Sales by the Lansdown regime ! He doesn’t gamble period ! You have to gamble, be that by telling a player no and seeing how you go or pushing the boat out financially (at the right times not just to boost season ticket sales like with David James)

I think cashing in on players in the last year of a deal inspite of their feelings is negatively presumptuous, lacks ambition and leaves a manager who has built a side around said players being shown the exit with an impossible challenge to compete !

Are you telling me when Bournemouth,Swansea,Luton, Brentford finished in Playoff positions or near to before their promotions they did not turn down bids for players and build? I’d say you are a liar if you do ! 

We spent £26m in gross fees and spent more than 100 pct of wages in 2019-20. How big a gamble do you want. The wage bill ticked up again in 2020-21. In fact our wage bill was 100 pct or above of turnover for 5 successive years.

Bryan and Reid, we needed to raise a few million that summer as new FFP measures were coming in. I advise checking the loss before transfer activity to try and work backwards that year.

Think we needed to raise £5-7m in wage and amortisation savings or transfer profits based on that. EFL could have restricted us had we decided to ignore..financial rules can dictate activity at times sadly, we saw that for 18 months to 2 years post 2021. We had to demonstrate how we would comply in offer to trade to some degree back in 2018.

I'm happy to look back at those clubs as I honestly don't know on the last paragraph. The £39m has to be adhetrf to at all times I know that much. Albeit Bournemouth cheated when it was easier to do so and have been reaping rewards ever since.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Sadly NP will take us down in my opinion . His contract is up at the end and there’s been no mention of any extension. It would appear all parties might be happy to part ways come May with no funds being given to a departing coach . That has relegation written all over it sadly and that’s no reflection on Pearson . 

I don’t think Nige is happy to part ways at the end of the season.  I think he feels he is in the cusp of doing well here.  That’s why he isn’t going mental in pressers imho.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I agree. Staying up is important this year as I cannot see us bettering 14th with the injuries we have and lack of depth. Nigel will keep us up but any stupid  decision from the board could see relegation. 

There cant be many that expect NP to still be here at the end of this season, could even be to-morrow if the players cant be arsed v Swansea, the graveyard by the way for his righthand man/talent spotter Tinnion.

Despite whats been said last day of hope to sign at least a backup, even temp loan striker to boost our depleted force, wont be holding my breathe though, still hope for the best but expect the worse.

8 hours ago, sugarwray said:

SL is passionate about the club, be careful what you wish for. I trust him to act in the best interests of the club. Like so many others on this forum, when he wakes up tomorrow the City result is the first thing on his mind. Compare with other owners.

He is passionate about the stadium, not the team. Sod the rugby and basketball, we want Bristol City to progress. I would rather have a shitty stadium like Luton Town but a successful team on the pitch. It is what happens on the pitch which is important - not in corporate hospitality.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but if SL was the sell up, what would be on offer? Would it be just the football club or the whole package? I would like to think just the club so he can carry on with his other play things, but would imagine this would open up a whole level complexities around the stadium, the land around Ashton Gate and other things. Or is my understanding of this wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtf said:

There cant be many that expect NP to still be here at the end of this season, could even be to-morrow if the players cant be arsed v Swansea, the graveyard by the way for his righthand man/talent spotter Tinnion.

Despite whats been said last day of hope to sign at least a backup, even temp loan striker to boost our depleted force, wont be holding my breathe though, still hope for the best but expect the worse.

What a right load of nonsense.

I struggle to remember a game in a long time when the players “can’t be arsed” you appear to be confusing poor performance (like v Birmingham) with lack of effort, which hasn’t been the case for a long time.

In every game, even Birmingham when we were poor but Nakhi missed a sitter, we have been in it & we should go to Swansea expecting to get something.

Pearson is frustrated but I fully expect him to be in charge all season, beyond that depends on too many unknown factors to say.

I wouldn’t hold your breath on any arrival though, because unless we accept an offer for Vyner & scramble around bringing in a replacement I’m sure we’re done.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JAWS said:

https://youtu.be/vZY_DGGrN0g?si=GZSLT8SQgIeqeOUE

Interview post holden appointment. Listen from around 9 mins. Feels sorry for the fans! ? Pack your bags Steve

One quote, "perhaps, in hindsight, we could have let fans know a little earlier on [what was happening with the manager search]"

Yes! Learn your lesson and communicate to the fans!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe Steve has looked at OTIB and thought....

Hmm, people flying VPN Airways instead of buying season tickets and there are people importing a fake shirt (that everyone hates) and not putting in their cash, I'll do the same.

*Runs away before someone gets on their high-horse and pretends to take offence*

I’ll join you in wearing the tin hat, believed for a while the club should charge more than £10 for Robins TV and should be linked more to the POTD prices. Secondly for away games should be the cost of the away match ticket. Would be one way to increase revenue 

6 minutes ago, daored said:

I’ll join you in wearing the tin hat, believed for a while the club should charge more than £10 for Robins TV and should be linked more to the POTD prices. Secondly for away games should be the cost of the away match ticket. Would be one way to increase revenue 

Surely increasing robins tv prices would make more people watch on vpn streams?

• Flames 2

7 minutes ago, daored said:

On that basis to watch the club stream across the season - currently £170? - would cost 46 x what? £30? I'm not sure there would be many takers for a Robins TV subscription at that price.

I'm not sure that increasing the revenue is the club's challenge at the moment. It's the investment of the revenue we have.

• Flames 2

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe Steve has looked at OTIB and thought....

Hmm, people flying VPN Airways instead of buying season tickets and there are people importing a fake shirt (that everyone hates) and not putting in their cash, I'll do the same.

*Runs away before someone gets on their high-horse and pretends to take offence*

Perhaps he should take a look at his business model first? 

it’s my ball and you can’t play with it.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, daored said:

Decrease revenue more likely.

Charge POTD/£35-40  for a stream? All that will do is drive even more people towards IPTV or the unofficial streams. Don't forget for many people it's not a choice between strolling down to AG or watching on RTV, people live away, live abroad, can't make the journey etc. Lots of reasons.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Surely increasing robins tv prices would make more people watch on vpn streams?

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

On that basis to watch the club stream across the season - currently £170? - would cost 46 x what? £30? I'm not sure there would be many takers for a Robins TV subscription at that price.

I'm not sure that increasing the revenue is the club's challenge at the moment. It's the investment of the revenue we have.

5 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Decrease revenue more likely.

Charge POTD/£35-40  for a stream? All that will do is drive even more people towards IPTV or the unofficial streams. Don't forget for many people it's not a choice between strolling down to AG or watching on RTV, people live away, live abroad, can't make the journey etc. Lots of reasons.

Acknowledge all of the above points , my thoughts are if the cost of watching via Robins TV or at the ground is similar you may see people choosing to attend rather than stream? I accept it’s not easily accessible for everyone to attend games be that health, costs or location.

@exAtyeoMaxcompletely agree about the business model , an easy option is to increase range / quality of merchandise 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, RedRock said:

I think the Bristol Sport concept is sound too and IF the sporting quarter is delivered, a unique sporting complex and one to be proud of. 

Really not interested in all that peripheral stuff, why should I be?

My interest is confined to Bristol City F.C., the club I've supported for 50+ years.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think Nige is happy to part ways at the end of the season.  I think he feels he is in the cusp of doing well here.  That’s why he isn’t going mental in pressers imho.

I genuinely hope you’re right but after nearly 50 years of watching City I’m feeling a very familiar and unpleasant vibe right now . If Pearson feels he’s on the cusp of something good , why are we not falling over ourselves to tie him to a longer contract and if we have tried , why has he not signed it ? 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Fred89 said:

I think we sell up as soon as players show any signs of consistency at this level which resets the sitting managers game plan and playing style completely! The selling of Scott was IMO a slap in the face to Pearsons plans this season and he is venting publicly while biting his tongue at the same time ! 

But do we think other teams at this level are much different?

Do we think there are other clubs who wouldn't have sold Alex Scott this summer? (especially outside of the parachute payment clubs)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

https://youtu.be/vZY_DGGrN0g?si=GZSLT8SQgIeqeOUE

Interview post holden appointment. Listen from around 9 mins. Feels sorry for the fans! ? Pack your bags Steve

The bit that got me was the “we haven’t taken the cheap option”.

There’s a huge difference between spending loads and not cheap - where does value come into it?

54 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Perhaps he should take a look at his business model first? 

it’s my ball and you can’t play with it.

Max for CEO….again!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RedRock said:

I suspect he derives little enjoyment from his involvement. Frankly, probably views it as a right pain in the ar$e. 

Although my investment of time and money in watching City over the years is a minute fraction of Steve's, it's still considerable to me. And I feel the same. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Although my investment of time and money in watching City over the years is a minute fraction of Steve's, it's still considerable to me. And I feel the same. ?

Don’t disagree. Some fatigue setting in for a few of us who been here before, got the t-shirt, as we prepare for yet another spin of the wheel. Near sixty years of hurt (aside from our brief foray in the top league) is beginning to take its toll …..  it is indeed the hope that kills you! 

Shirley though, the law of averages dictate it must be our turn soon.

Keep the faith and just think you could have been born a Rovers Supporter. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The bit that got me was the “we haven’t taken the cheap option”.

There’s a huge difference between spending loads and not cheap - where does value come into it?

Max for CEO….again!

Spot on Dave & we can see through it & we're not stupid! What really irks me is that he continually treats us with disdain and is not afraid to let us know so god knows what is inner thoughts are. Hence why I'm happy to return such feelings ?

As Max says above, it's his ball & always has been & he can take it home whenever he likes & has done on several occasions! It's his way or the highway & god help anyone who challenges him. The power has gone to his head I'm afraid. As others have said on many occasions, our club (& rugby, basketball etc) are vanity projects to massage his ego. Without those he would just be a sad bean counter with lot's of money.

• Like 4

I don’t think NP will walk, or fail to sign any half- reasonable new contract offer. He’s sounded in recent press interviews like a man who’s planning to retire sooner rather then later. He probably wants/ needs another 2 / 3 years max, and I would think that longer at City under any tolerable circumstances would be better than 6 months out of work, followed by a new start at a new club. If he goes, it will be SL’s decision. And in that respect, I think that SL has learnt enough over the years to have a fan acceptable replacement lined up in advance, which he can do legitimately as NP’s contract runs down.