IGNORED

Steve Lansdown……..

BCFC1512

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

If you are Steve, just how well do you want your successor to do, though? You wouldn't want them doing too well, would you?

Imagine you're Steve, and you sell up to whoever, and they move in and swiftly make some strategic changes, new CEO, new Head Coach and so on, and then, in their first full season, Bristol City fly, finish in the top six, fail heroically, make a small fortune/nest egg, and second full season, the new owner takes us to promotion.

If you're Steve, you're thinking: Ffs!

Imagine you're Steve, and you sell up, and we go up (and stay up), and nobody misses you. Not even those that defended you to the end. That's got to hurt?

If you’re Steve, and you sell the City, you don't want the owners doing that well, do you? Not really, deep down. That's got to be a quiet thought he has to himself, once in a while?

You want to be missed, a bit. Or more than a bit. You want the gobby ****ers that told you you knew nothing about football to eat their words. And they won't be doing that if the new bloke/owner is too successful, too quickly.

Genuine concern of mine too.

Lansdown’s stubbornness and ego has always led his decision making.

When a man wipes out a predecessor’s memory and legacy by renaming a stand after themselves whilst still in situ, it should tell you all you need to know about the man. 

How confident are we that he’ll pick a buyer who will quickly overshadow his regime? 

11 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

When this season was about to start I wondered who was to be this years scapegoat now that Zach’s improved so much. 
Now I know - it’s Steve Lansdown’s turn in the barrel ?

You might want to look up the meaning of "scapegoat" because he's not being asked to shoulder the blame for someone else's mistakes, he's being asked to front up for his own. 

And if he continues to hide the criticism will only get louder. 

We've been here before, remember? 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Isn't the main point here that neither the Owner, Chairman or CEO have given an interview in the pre-season at any stage to either the club's PR department or the local press.

NP is having to do his obligatory press rounds answering questions which are not for him to be answering. He's saying to all and sundry that he isn't the person to be asking these questions of.

Cue in any reasonable organisation, the powers at be recognising that fact and doing something about the lack of communication over the apparent change in the club's direction since NP discussed the Plan A (with Scott), Plan B (without Scott) recruitment plans over the summer.

For me, it's not really about the results, it's the fact that budgets post Scott have obviously changed. Ok, well if that's the case and the club has to deal with supporter's expectations then just do an interview and let NP get on with managing the 1st team.

I'm a DOF of a non league club with 4 men's teams in County and district football. I say to all of my managers that if a player wants paying more money, has issues, or there is anything that needs doing with regard to the side other than playing than those league and cup games then let me deal with it. I'm the public face of the club, as is the Chairman on all forms of Social Media.

At the moment, we just come across as a rudderless ship ploughing through the stormy waters of Championship football. There seems to be no 3 or 5 year plan, or even a future direction as NP enters the final year of his three year plan. What is the club's vision for next season, can anyone actually answer that?

This has gone on for years now of course, but for the first time in NP's tenure he's got rid of the expensive gambles of 2019 and has generated through selling our 2 best players a substantial amount of money, now what?

Over to the club and the Lansdowns on this one. We are only a few further injuries away from being up the proverbial in my opinion.

I think the club as a whole does need to explain the position to the fanbase and at the same time show their support for NP. Silence is not really an option anymore.

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Isn't the main point here that neither the Owner, Chairman or CEO have given an interview in the pre-season at any stage to either the club's PR department or the local press.

NP is having to do his obligatory press rounds answering questions which are not for him to be answering. He's saying to all and sundry that he isn't the person to be asking these questions of.

Cue in any reasonable organisation, the powers at be recognising that fact and doing something about the lack of communication over the apparent change in the club's direction since NP discussed the Plan A (with Scott), Plan B (without Scott) recruitment plans over the summer.

For me, it's not really about the results, it's the fact that budgets post Scott have obviously changed. Ok, well if that's the case and the club has to deal with supporter's expectations then just do an interview and let NP get on with managing the 1st team.

I'm a DOF of a non league club with 4 men's teams in County and district football. I say to all of my managers that if a player wants paying more money, has issues, or there is anything that needs doing with regard to the side other than playing than those league and cup games then let me deal with it. I'm the public face of the club, as is the Chairman on all forms of Social Media.

At the moment, we just come across as a rudderless ship ploughing through the stormy waters of Championship football. There seems to be no 3 or 5 year plan, or even a future direction as NP enters the final year of his three year plan. What is the club's vision for next season, can anyone actually answer that?

This has gone on for years now of course, but for the first time in NP's tenure he's got rid of the expensive gambles of 2019 and has generated through selling our 2 best players a substantial amount of money, now what?

Over to the club and the Lansdowns on this one. We are only a few further injuries away from being up the proverbial in my opinion.

I think the club as a whole does need to explain the position to the fanbase and at the same time show their support for NP. Silence is not really an option anymore.

Yes it’s often indicative of a club that is close to a sale getting its financials in order while the buyer is conducting due diligence. 

Not sayin , just sayin!

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Yes it’s often indicative of a club that is close to a sale getting its financials in order while the buyer is conducting due diligence. 

Not sayin , just sayin!

I get you there, but I can't see us progressing through with the whole Sports Village development whilst at the same time selling what is in the essence the crown jewel.

I can though see the Lansdown's looking for a way out after the development is completed as the final part of their "legacy".

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I get you there, but I can't see us progressing through with the whole Sports Village development whilst at the same time selling what is in the essence the crown jewel.

I can though see the Lansdown's looking for a way out after the development is completed as the final part of their "legacy".

Have we got to wait THAT long ?  

edit           BTW we're not the only rudderless ship..........RB without GT. This would have been right up his alley, calling them all out to speak on the radio to let the fans know what the H is going on !

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

The money in the nice little nest egg would go toward the future costs of building. Bristol Sport is not that complex I would be amazed if he would sell just The Football Club. Despite what some believe. 

we will see!

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Cant see it.

Another season of mid table boringness? Probably. But not a relegation battle IMO

Yeah I think the positives we can look to take from this season now is another year of development of our young players to set us up for a stronger, more experienced campaign next season. Another transition year. Maybe an FA Cup run? It's not what we wanted. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Next 5:

image.png.e47460cdf39bc9c8be83ea2977819d39.png

A mix of teams.

Or did you mean the 5 after the break?

image.png.aba72ae8e72cf9321e32e23f7366ebbb.png

A mix of teams.

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Yeah, I'd look at the next three and say that if we're on form we could take 5-7 points from those games. Any less than that and Nige and the players will probably be in for some flak. You'd also home we could get some points from Stoke and Rotherham too. It's only the Leicester game where you just go in with no expectations but to try our best.

So a few years ago when Ashton would appear at the start and the end of each transfer window he got pelters for being in the media so often.

Now with a transfer window ending the CEO is getting pelters for not doing this and SL is making no more or less noise than he has usually done (disregarding exceptions around new stadium/rebuild)

And now the conspiracies are out that SL wants whoever follows on from him fails, because he obviously wants the stadium he had redeveloped to sit half empty in League 1 or something.

25 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Excellent post Sir ?

29 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Yes. And that is somewhat a departure of the norm. 

Normally the CEO gives an interview during pre season and Lansdown is on Radio Bristol for the 1st game of the season. 

The only possible explanation for this complete silence has to be that a takeover is close.

• Admin
4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

@exAtyeoMax on timing of a sale.

I don't know if this is what you were getting at but I'd say also that I don't buy the line/argument that SL might be holding back transfer profit in order to boost the accounts and make the club look more attractive. Every football club loses money, it's a loss-making industry and by any sane and ordinary valuation assessment all clubs are essentially worthless (bar any land they may own).

To any new owner/investor making an investment the value of this football club doesn't lie in its accounts, it's EBITDA, it's turnover. The value lies in potential. 

Buy this club in the Championship for £80m, get it promoted, and sell it for £400m. That's the primary ROI that any new owner will look at. If they don't, then they don't understand the industry and we don't want them as owners.

In my opinion that attractiveness does exist and comes from a profitable year giving any prospective new owners more room to spend as they see fit over the remaining two years of an FFP reporting period.

Unfortunately we provide balance by asking any new owner to additionally buy a rugby club, a basketball club and two building plots. ??‍♂️

• Like 2

Just now, Ian M said:

In my opinion that attractiveness does exist and comes from a profitable year giving any prospective new owners more room to spend as they see fit over the remaining two years of an FFP reporting period.

Unfortunately we provide balance by asking any new owner to additionally buy a rugby club, a basketball club and two building plots. ??‍♂️

Your second point will be far more of a turnoff than the first. And it's maddening as he's literally set the corporate structure up so that it's perfectly possible to sell the football club separately, without all the baggage. If it's true he's looking for a sale of the whole package then it's mad.

• Flames 1

59 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

So a few years ago when Ashton would appear at the start and the end of each transfer window he got pelters for being in the media so often.

Now with a transfer window ending the CEO is getting pelters for not doing this and SL is making no more or less noise than he has usually done (disregarding exceptions around new stadium/rebuild)

Because the strategy has obviously changed - and radically so - but no one's had the decency to explain what it is and why.

It's not difficult to work that out - you're not comparing like with like. 

59 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

And now the conspiracies are out that SL wants whoever follows on from him fails, because he obviously wants the stadium he had redeveloped to sit half empty in League 1 or something.

People aren’t expecting Mark Ashton style exposure from our CEO. At a time when the Manager is fielding questions that aren’t his remit a single interview which Nige and the punters can refer to would suffice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Yeah I think the positives we can look to take from this season now is another year of development of our young players to set us up for a stronger, more experienced campaign next season. Another transition year. Maybe an FA Cup run? It's not what we wanted. 

That's not what we were sold though. Never mind any of the players we've signed recently!

1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

Genuine concern of mine too.

Lansdown’s stubbornness and ego has always led his decision making.

When a man wipes out a predecessor’s memory and legacy by renaming a stand after themselves whilst still in situ, it should tell you all you need to know about the man. 

How confident are we that he’ll pick a buyer who will quickly overshadow his regime? 

You mean the stand he paid for to be built?

Edited by Greyrobbo

2 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

At the end of the day our super kids from the 21s need to step up and be counted if that's what we are relying on.

None of the current lot are ready. 

That's what happens when you rely heavily on your Youth set up - there's never going to be a constant supply of kids who are good enough, it's always going to be hit and miss. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

At the end of the day our super kids from the 21s need to step up and be counted if that's what we are relying on.

and then look at the next private plane to Bournemouth?