IGNORED

England

E.G.Red

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

The Maguire selection was understandable given that Stones and Mings are out and he wants an experienced figure in there. Him not playing for his club isn't a situation that can continue long term though and to be fair Southgate has said as much.

Absolutely wouldn't have started Henderson though. That smacks of him being picked to justify his inclusion in the squad.

To me the Henderson selection smacks of "I'm in charge" which he is but if you make those decisions and then put in a bang average attacking performance against a side who started out to get a 0-0 draw but was able to make one of their two shots in 90 minutes count then you can't moan when you are under scrutiny for it............and he will be which is completely unnecessary.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Won’t win anything under Southgate 

Who would we win anything under? The only candidate I can see out there is Graham Potter 

Lots of England fans clearly have short memories, before Southgate we had an absolute fractious squad who had no togetherness and completely froze at the big stage. Remember the Iceland game under Hodgson? Getting knocked out in the group in 2014 world cup? Shocking performances which are light years away from where we are now.

We have a decent squad but to say it's full of world class players is pushing it. We have no depth in many positions hence having to rely on players not being involved in their teams. If Kane gets injured we have Wilson who doesn't start for Newcastle or Nketiah a back up for Arsenal.

Edited by !james
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Too slow too predictable and losing concentration. Need to freshen it up 

Dublin saying that England need to learn how to break down teams playing 4 and 5 across midfield.

It reminded me of City playing at Ashton Gate. Slow and predictable build up from the back allows the opposition to get players back behind the ball and into their shape, thereby making it difficult to break them down. Breaking them down perhaps involves quicker build up play so not allowing the opposition to funnel players back so easily.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

The scapegoating , jump on , and noise around Maguire is tedious

IMHO he had a decent game and a better performance than some of his much acclaimed team mates 

Totally entitled to your opinion but i disagree and think he was bang average and partially responsible for the slowness of our build up.

It's a sad state of affairs of England can't muster 2 center halves that actually play for their club.

Why does Dunk not get a look in? Even Webster who isn't getting in the starting 11 for Brighton I'd have over Maguire.

That's my opinion

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Dublin saying that England need to learn how to break down teams playing 4 and 5 across midfield.

It reminded me of City playing at Ashton Gate. Slow and predictable build up from the back allows the opposition to get players back behind the ball and into their shape, thereby making it difficult to break them down. Breaking them down perhaps involves quicker build up play so not allowing the opposition to funnel players back so easily.

I wouldn’t take too much notice of what Dublin had to say

Wanted Kane to ‘stay between the two Ukrainian Centre backs’ and not move out of there or drop deep (An unbelievable comment in all honesty)

Firstly he’s clearly never watched Kane’s game too closely , Or what he’s good at,  and thankfully Kane did exactly that and provided a superb pass, as he regularly does , to put Walker in 

3 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Totally entitled to your opinion but i disagree and think he was bang average and partially responsible for the slowness of our build up.

It's a sad state of affairs of England can't muster 2 center halves that actually play for their club.

Why does Dunk not get a look in? Even Webster who isn't getting in the starting 11 for Brighton I'd have over Maguire.

That's my opinion

Couple of q’s

You think Dunk is better on the ball than Maguire ?

Who do you think was the better centre back tonight Maguire or Guehi ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, !james said:

Who would we win anything under? The only candidate I can see out there is Graham Potter 

Lots of England fans clearly have short memories, before Southgate we had an absolute fractious squad who had no togetherness and completely froze at the big stage. Remember the Iceland game under Hodgson? Getting knocked out in the group in 2014 world cup? Shocking performances which are light years away from where we are now.

We have a decent squad but to say it's full of world class players is pushing it. We have no depth in many positions hence having to rely on players not being involved in their teams. If Kane gets injured we have Wilson who doesn't start for Newcastle or Nketiah a back up for Arsenal.

You’re talking about two different generations of talent from what Hodgson had to now what  Southgate has. Not that I rated Hodgson.

We have one of the most exciting teams in the world. Yet a clueless manager who does not know how to utilise such talent, nor come up with a plan b.

I will be happy to see him gone following the Euros. Should have gone after World Cup.

• Like 4

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Couple of q’s

You think Dunk is better on the ball than Maguire ?

Who do you think was the better centre back tonight Maguire or Guehi ?

Yes, i think Dunk is better on the ball than Maguire. All i saw Maguire do was pass the ball around the back or to Rice.

I never said that Guehi had a stormer. A lot of the players were off the boil. I just don't think Maguire should have started.

Not saying though that him starting is why we didn't win the game

3 minutes ago, The Coach said:

You’re talking about two different generations of talent from what Hodgson had to now what  Southgate has. Not that I rated Hodgson.

We have one of the most exciting teams in the world. Yet a clueless manager who does not know how to utilise such talent, nor come up with a plan b.

I will be happy to see him gone following the Euros. Should have gone after World Cup.

I’m not sure clueless managers can get to finals.  He’s not as bad as you say. Just wish he was a bit braver in his decisions. Henderson and Maguire aren’t brave selections.  

Just now, Show Me The Money! said:

Yes, i think Dunk is better on the ball than Maguire. All i saw Maguire do was pass the ball around the back or to Rice.

I never said that Guehi had a stormer. A lot of the players were off the boil. I just don't think Maguire should have started.

Not saying though that him starting is why we didn't win the game

If Maguire was at Brighton he wouldn’t get in that side. Under their current manager or their last manager.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Coach said:

We have a few exciting players, just like the 2014 and 2016 squads had. The team now play as a team and have reached a semi final and final of major competitions, hardly clueless.

Who would you replace him with? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've stuck up for Southgate a lot but Henderson plays in a joke league now. Needs to be phased out of England please. 

As a big fan of his kid, would you still look to keep Southgate on after the euros? If not then who would you replace him with? I guess there aren’t many but then a lot can change in a year 

I’m a Southgate fan, and I’m aware I’m as rose-tinted as they come with regards to England but not a great game tonight.

firstly though, Maguire had to start. He’s proven himself at this level, and it would be madness to throw 2 inexperienced players together. If Stones had been around, I’d have maybe been up for leaving Maguire out due to lack of minutes this season.

That said, don’t think Maguire did much wrong. I do think he can be guilty of slowing the game down, but one thing he’s often looking to do is make a forward pass (and anyone who’s watched enough of him knows he’s pretty good at it usually). He slows it down because he isn’t just going through the motions sideways. Funnily enough because it was mentioned he doesn’t get in the Brighton team, is he does what de Zerbi’s CBs do - he tries to invite the press. Anyway, I realise many will disagree.

Walker was brilliant as usual but I don’t think many others covered themselves in glory.

Cant understand why Henderson started, definitely agree it’s time to phase him out. There’s simply better players now.

If you’re a doom merchant that was a “typical England” performance tonight, slow, sloppy, unimaginative. But most of us know that’s not the England we’ve been in recent times.

Dust ourselves down and go again Tuesday - I’m actually nervous, Scotland are flying at the moment and Hampden Park will be rocking. I’m not confident on a win tbh!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I think England have some of the best players in the world and would have as good a chance as any of winning a major trophy but not while we’ve got the hopeless Southgate in charge, how he ever got the gig in the first place is beyond me

Another one with a short memory! How close did we get with the 'golden generation' with world class managers Sven and Capello?! 

Southgate has taken us to a world cup semi, first since 1990 and a euro final. Hopeless? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, !james said:

Another one with a short memory! How close did we get with the 'golden generation' with world class managers Sven and Capello?! 

Southgate has taken us to a world cup semi, first since 1990 and a euro final. Hopeless? 

Just because that generation failed doesn’t mean this current crop isn’t failing either. I’d also argue the bigger federations back then were stronger than the current crop.

4 hours ago, !james said:

We have a few exciting players, just like the 2014 and 2016 squads had. The team now play as a team and have reached a semi final and final of major competitions, hardly clueless.

Who would you replace him with? 

This is the best England squad I can recall in over 40 years, especially in attack. Southgate is a very nearly man. He's done well but he just can't quite unlock the potential that we have.

I've often wondered what Pep's next move would be. In need of a new challenge? What else can he achieve in the domestic game?

5 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

This is the best England squad I can recall in over 40 years, especially in attack. Southgate is a very nearly man. He's done well but he just can't quite unlock the potential that we have.

I've often wondered what Pep's next move would be. In need of a new challenge? What else can he achieve in the domestic game?

Pep in charge we win that game simple as that . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m not sure clueless managers can get to finals.  

They can and do even win them sometimes!
We got to 1 final big whoop when got there we went 1-0 up almost by accident if the rest of the game was anything to go by because Southgate set them up to sit back and defend for 120 minutes! 

He’s been lucky with the runs in tournaments and when we come up against a really good team we lose! The first World Cup we played 7 games lost 3 of them nots not the sign of a Managerial genius! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

They can and do even win them sometimes!
We got to 1 final big whoop when got there we went 1-0 up almost by accident if the rest of the game was anything to go by because Southgate set them up to sit back and defend for 120 minutes! 

He’s been lucky with the runs in tournaments and when we come up against a really good team we lose! The first World Cup we played 7 games lost 3 of them nots not the sign of a Managerial genius! 

Which ‘clueless’ managers are international trophy winners?  

• Like 1