IGNORED

England

E.G.Red

42 minutes ago, prankerd said:

I think hendo is basically a glorified cheer leader at this point, i agree tho, hes wasting a valuable spot for someone who could get bedded in.

People saying maguire is great for england is baffling to me, hes 5th choice for a poor man united defence, if you want to win tournaments you need get rid of him.

Why is it baffling? he IS great for England.

I think he's been a victim of a terrible United side for a few years. It's not like they look brilliant and solid without Maguire is it?

I wish he'd left in the summer and gone and enjoyed his football elsewhere without the shit his own fans give him. Half of it is probably confidence, which is why he looks better for England.

Also with Stones out it's very likely that Colwill (under 21s winner) could start one of the two games, it would be silly not to have some experience alongside him in what is 2 potentially difficult fixtures.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, arrytheb said:

I see a Liverpool and a Man City player pulled out of England duty today. Sure it's fully legitimate and they won't be available 1st game back after international break. 

As has been said, Trent went off injured and Grealish didn't play due to injury.

It's hardly a conspiracy

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Henderson too. I'd get it if he was still playing in the Prem, but he's moved to a poor league for purely financial reasons. The moment he moved there should've been the end of his England career. 

Should Messi be dumped by Argentina then?

• Facepalm 1

On 31/08/2023 at 23:36, James54De said:

With potentially the strongest selection of players we’ve ever had. He has by no means been ‘successful’. 

Why do you think this is the strongest set of players we’ve ever had? I could name about 10 stronger tournament squads starting with 82 Spain WC onwards . That certainly includes Euro 96 team and venables seems to be more appreciated than Southgate even tho GS actually got us to a final. 

Dont get why people dislike Southgate - we’ve had some utterly desperate periods over my 40plus years watching the team . In the last 5 years a semi amd a final . It’s strange this weird entitlement that we should be winning every tournament. It’s like a big premier league club fan type attitude.

I’m surprised fellow long suffering city fans seem to think England have underachieved with Southgate given the relative succes. I guess it stems from us throwing away a golden chance vs Italy in the final? 

• Like 8
  • Flames 3

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Henderson too. I'd get it if he was still playing in the Prem, but he's moved to a poor league for purely financial reasons. The moment he moved there should've been the end of his England career. 

The lads done an interview for the athletic.

Its not about the money he says.

He didn't have a lot of opportunities that excited him.

Sooo he went to the one that excited him the most and was a challenge and uproots his family but it was not about the money.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Why is it baffling? he IS great for England.

I think he's been a victim of a terrible United side for a few years. It's not like they look brilliant and solid without Maguire is it?

I wish he'd left in the summer and gone and enjoyed his football elsewhere without the shit his own fans give him. Half of it is probably confidence, which is why he looks better for England.

Also with Stones out it's very likely that Colwill (under 21s winner) could start one of the two games, it would be silly not to have some experience alongside him in what is 2 potentially difficult fixtures.

His last 4 games for england hes been as shocking as he was for united how are you seriously defending him? Its all well and good being good in a back 5 with better defenders protecting you but hes over 30 on the decline and playing hardly any minutes for his club, its a disgrace hes still in the england team.

On 04/09/2023 at 22:19, BCFCGav said:

Been saying it to mates for a few months now, but so it’s etched in the annals of history:

We win the Euros next summer.

Stones, Rice, Bellingham, Kane and Saka are all world class (Rice the only maybe but I’ll give him the benefit).

Pickford, Ramsdale, Reece James (if fit), Trent (if used right), Walker, Shaw, Chilwell, Eze, Foden, Grealish, Sterling and post-ban Ivan Toney all excellent. 8 who have good seasons to pad out the rest.

This isn’t even blind optimism because it’s England, I’ve often said ‘it’s coming home’ but usually then whispered ‘if we avoid w, x, y and z somehow..’.

This time I just think we have the best squad, barring maybe our southern friends in France, who I’m convinced we run mighty close.

Anyway that’s 9 months away, up Nige’s mighty cider drinking reds ?⚪

Totally agree ?

• Like 1

Always find it strange when players are picked on reputation rather than their efforts this season , not sure it offers much hope to those playing out of their skins and not getting a sniff . We do have players good enough in certain positions but Gareth mustn’t trust them or not quite ready yet . 

20 hours ago, The chief said:

Why do you think this is the strongest set of players we’ve ever had? I could name about 10 stronger tournament squads starting with 82 Spain WC onwards . That certainly includes Euro 96 team and venables seems to be more appreciated than Southgate even tho GS actually got us to a final. 

Dont get why people dislike Southgate - we’ve had some utterly desperate periods over my 40plus years watching the team . In the last 5 years a semi amd a final . It’s strange this weird entitlement that we should be winning every tournament. It’s like a big premier league club fan type attitude.

I’m surprised fellow long suffering city fans seem to think England have underachieved with Southgate given the relative succes. I guess it stems from us throwing away a golden chance vs Italy in the final? 

People look back on Euro 96 with nostalgia. Hardly plan sailing after the opening draw and squeezing past Spain on penalties. As you say though, it was a very strong squad and on home soil arguably should have gone all the way?

I think Southgate's done a brilliant job. We probably did miss a golden opportunity against Italy but we're miles ahead now of that embarrasing exit of Euro 2016.

19 hours ago, prankerd said:

His last 4 games for england hes been as shocking as he was for united how are you seriously defending him? Its all well and good being good in a back 5 with better defenders protecting you but hes over 30 on the decline and playing hardly any minutes for his club, its a disgrace hes still in the england team.

Well that's nonsense. Admittedly he was ropey against Italy but we won, he's then kept 3 clean sheets and been solid. He's certainly not been "shocking". When did we last play a back 5? Not since before the World Cup.

It's far from a "disgrace" to see why one of our better performers is picked in the absence of our other almost ever present CB so we don't go into some big games with 2 inexperienced, and more crucially new pairings, at CB.

17 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Or as they went to Saudi Ronaldo by Portugal and Neymar by Brazil.

The fact Philips got called up too suggest to me Southgate hasn’t got much faith in the likes of JWP.

JWP isn't England level IMO. We've got much better options in midfield - although I wouldn't pick Phillips either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, shelts said:

Always find it strange when players are picked on reputation rather than their efforts this season , not sure it offers much hope to those playing out of their skins and not getting a sniff . We do have players good enough in certain positions but Gareth mustn’t trust them or not quite ready yet . 

It's as much past performances for England as it is "reputation".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shelts said:

He does seem very loyal due to previous form in tournaments.

And Southgate didn’t seem to think the likes of Sterling and JWP playing well for 3/4 games meant much .

I understand the former has pulled out of previous squads which maybe didn’t help his chances .

Edited by Markthehorn

4 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

He does seem very loyal due to previous form in tournaments.

And Southgate didn’t seem to think the likes of Sterling and JWP playing well for 3/4 games meant much .

I understand the former has pulled out of previous squads which maybe didn’t help his chances .

He’s very loyal . A good quality 

• Like 1

On 01/09/2023 at 13:42, MarcusX said:

Attitude problem is my guess. Clearly something happened during the WC.

Many criticised GS for dropping Greenwood and it looks like he made the right call there so I'll trust him on this one too.

I've been a staunch GS supporter but I can't get behind Phillips being in the team at this time. Maguire I can understand because we're short at the back and he's regularly been one of our top performers, he's got some "credit" that Phillips doesn't really hold yet.

How can you say Ben White has an attitude problem when he gets picked by Arteta each week and performs very well for Arsenal?  I thought the fall out was between Foden/White.

6 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

How can you say Ben White has an attitude problem when he gets picked by Arteta each week and performs very well for Arsenal?  I thought the fall out was between Foden/White.

Who knows the truth?

Only those there at the time 

So all we do is speculated on rumours with no known facts. And come up with opinion based on no truths at all. 

So what we end up with is wild untruths based on personal bias on unproven tumours.

Does that not seem like OTIB most of the time ?

England will win the Euros next year by the way ?

56 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

That’s one hell of a team isn’t it. 

Maguire. One of these days he'll be exposed like he has been at domestic level.

And Bellingham's wasted that deep. So are we brave or good enough to play some sort of 4-1-4-1?

But like @WolfOfWestStreet says, it's time to be winning something.

Or is this 1970 all over again - a brilliant team that wins nowt