IGNORED

Nige - BBCRB - snippet pre-Swansea

Davefevs

Question around nige, he hates players running contracts down, yet his will come to an end this season, now he may not have been offered one, but with a manager being out of contract at the end of the season how can we plan for next season or even for january without knowing who the manager will be ?

also around Zak vyner, also being out of contract will we be a position where nige does what he did with Bentley and massengo and drops vyner because of his contract situation? I actually don't think things are as bad as some people are making out, although 1 or 2 more injuries and we will be in big trouble. We win against Swansea and that's IF and its not been a terrible start for us really. 

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Question around nige, he hates players running contracts down, yet his will come to an end this season, now he may not have been offered one, but with a manager being out of contract at the end of the season how can we plan for next season or even for january without knowing who the manager will be ?

also around Zak vyner, also being out of contract will we be a position where nige does what he did with Bentley and massengo and drops vyner because of his contract situation? I actually don't think things are as bad as some people are making out, although 1 or 2 more injuries and we will be in big trouble. We win against Swansea and that's IF and its not been a terrible start for us really. 

It’s not ‘he may not have been offered one’.  He hasn’t been offered one. 

• Flames 1

The only logical conclusion is that the board are building up a fund to give to a new manager. They will let Pearson’s contract run out this season and want to save the funds he has created for his successor.

Assuming that is his plan it would suit their agenda if the team actually does badly this year, a bottom half, but not bottom 3, finish would be ideal. 

Frankly I think that is disgusting. If they don’t want Pearson long term grow a spine and pay him off. 

I would still disagree the decision, but I would have a modicum of respect that at least they had made it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mattredrobin said:

Bentley was dropped because he was a liability.  Watch the highlights of Birmingham away last season to see the precise reason.

17 minutes ago, Capman said:

The only logical conclusion is that the board are building up a fund to give to a new manager. They will let Pearson’s contract run out this season and want to save the funds he has created for his successor.

Assuming that is his plan it would suit their agenda if the team actually does badly this year, a bottom half, but not bottom 3, finish would be ideal. 

Frankly I think that is disgusting. If they don’t want Pearson long term grow a spine and pay him off. 

I would still disagree the decision, but I would have a modicum of respect that at least they had made it. 

If Pearson goes now, as I believe what will happen, with no more player recruitment, it's my opinion that we'll be back in League One or Third Division as I prefer it. Back where we were when I started in 1950. Eight promotions and eight relegations with just four years in the top division.

SL as I understand, was an accountant at HL. Recording history and basing decisions on only them. While Hargreaves was an investor, the ones who will gamble at times to get bigger rewards. When he sells City, I'll bet that he will keep the stadium and therefore all its income from non football activities.

One of his first bad decisions as a director was to vote for Pulis instead of Moyes and apart from Cotterill and Pearson, the rest have been very poor. I include Johnson senior in that even though he got us up but then couldn't handle the better quality players that he couldn't bully.

I sincerely hope that I'm so wrong but I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

It's worth thinking about Mr P.

Lansdown has said repeatedly that it's his club etc etc

What gets you the best return as a buyer?

A rugby team with limited appeal

A struggling loss-making champ club

A tiny basketball club 

Limited revenue from the facilities on non-matchdays, plus not stellar returns ON matchday

OR - a property developer, that can see the hard yards have been done, and will pay much much more for the very desirable location.

There's a hell of a lot of building room left both on AG and AV - and that equals money.

And a lot of leasehold offices for ongoing management

Why does anyone think the Lansdown family will lose out financially to protect a football club, when he can make much more selling the land. It's also simpler to complete the deal.

I'm not saying that this will happen - but they are on their way out, and developers have been looking. 

Lansdowns business ethics are on full display in Africa if anyone cares to dive in to the mucky morass - inc deals with international fugitives wanted on multiple counts of gun-running, and accusations of much worse.

Don't rule anything out at all as far as Lansdown and money are concerned.

Sorry, are you suggesting SL is going to sell off the club, all he’s built, for land?!

**** me OTIB - great place, but last few days has been taken over by the conspiracy theorists and I’m surprised by how many seemingly regular intelligent posters have been dragged along with some of it….

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 10
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Capman said:

There are many other, different, more logical explanations actually IMO.

Equally logical is that the board want to maintain more financial balance - so we could see the Scott money spread over multiple windows.

Also equally logical is SL has decided to invest less in the club as he looks to sell. 

Also equally logical, as I’ve been saying for weeks, it’s easier to sell the club with a cleaner financial slate. 

30 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If Pearson goes now, as I believe what will happen, with no more player recruitment, it's my opinion that we'll be back in League One or Third Division as I prefer it. Back where we were when I started in 1950. Eight promotions and eight relegations with just four years in the top division.

SL as I understand, was an accountant at HL. Recording history and basing decisions on only them. While Hargreaves was an investor, the ones who will gamble at times to get bigger rewards. When he sells City, I'll bet that he will keep the stadium and therefore all its income from non football activities.

One of his first bad decisions as a director was to vote for Pulis instead of Moyes and apart from Cotterill and Pearson, the rest have been very poor. I include Johnson senior in that even though he got us up but then couldn't handle the better quality players that he couldn't bully.

I sincerely hope that I'm so wrong but I doubt it.

Why would Pearson leave now? He’s shown no signs of wanting to leave now.  He has said the budget is set and he has to get on with it. He sounded willing to get on with it.  I’d be very surprised if he resigned now 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Sorry, are you suggesting SL is going to sell off the club, all he’s built, for land?!

**** me OTIB - great place, but last few days has been taken over by the conspiracy theorists and I’m surprised by how many seemingly regular intelligent posters have been dragged along with some of it….

To be fair it is probably less than 10 nutters making a lot of noise. 99% of posters are sane even if they do think Max O’Leary is league one at best 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

In the meantime it's not much fun for the fans, who have been treated to some absolute dross over recent seasons and just when I thought things were getting better, my optimism is seriously waning 

Yeah a very City irony this season, because finally after years of rebuilding fans were approaching the season with optimistic and expectation, feulled in part by the knowledge that we were sitting on a matchwinner/goldmine in Alex Scott. Now that we know Scott is neither of those things, it totally resets our expectations. 

11 hours ago, Mendip City said:

That last time we had a cliffhanger like this was SODs “Stupid question” moment.

Someone more talented than me could probably probably merge the two together maybe to a dance beat. We could have a hit on our hands “Stupid question…. I can’t answer that!!!”

Hall & Oates's "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" has potential here, "I can't answer that (no .... ?)" with a big 80s sax bit too ...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

To be fair it is probably less than 10 nutters making a lot of noise. 99% of posters are sane even if they do think Max O’Leary is league one at best 

Maybe - but it’s amazing how quickly after a few whispers and gossip within a week or so we’ve gone from “good business this summer in the window” to “SL is trying to deliberately sabotage NP” - a statement now treated as possibly probable or actually factual by some prominent posters….

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why would Pearson leave now? He’s shown no signs of wanting to leave now.  He has said the budget is set and he has to get on with it. He sounded willing to get on with it.  I’d be very surprised if he resigned now 

I don’t think he wants to go either.  This is is “last dance” and he wants to go out with success.  All he’s doing is making the situation clear….he didn’t set the budget, he didn’t “agree it”, but he will manage to it to the best of his ability.  He’s also not clear why he couldn’t use some of the Scott proceeds, and pointing the media to ask those Qs elsewhere.

it was a good interview in terms of clarity, shame it needed Nige to front up all these Qs.

We will see if SL took any offence to what was said.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Hall & Oates's "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" has potential here, "I can't answer that (no .... ?)" with a big 80s sax bit too ...

Nah mate. Its got to be Marblehead Johnson by the Bluetones (says Mr Broken record).

Tonight I'm wound tighter than a watch spring
Tonight you owe my patience quite a debt
Tonight we're not gonna solve anything
I might say something that we both regret

And now the pressure's on, the heat is rising
The time has come to stop apologising
'Cause when the skies go clear
The threat of rain is always here with you

Tonight the geese are flying
And everything you say is a call to arms
Tonight there's something in the air
Don't come too close, and you'll come to no harm

With you, with you, with you

With all that's gone before
My motives never felt so pure
And now my heart's beset
With 18 carat gold regret

I haven't read all the thread, but one thing that's crossed my mind, is that NP says we have 17 players available for the first team squad. 

Weimann expected back in September some time...but the others injured are pretty much long term injuries. Conway maybe Oct/Nov. 

If that's the case...it's impossible to think we won't experience any more injuries to players before the next window in January. 

Flogging a small squad will lead to fatigue and more likelihood of injury. 

The Club are playing with fire imo. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, wtf said:

While this forum is in numbers small compared to those who attend games, our club will no doubt be fully aware of fans feelings on their lack of ambition and transfer in-activity, despite having multi millions of pounds of transfer money we didnt have a few weeks ago.

We also hear we have maxed out our wage budget again despite NP reducing it, not least by a very recent departure of Kalas.

So we enter deadline day with no available funds/wage budget, will we see our depleted squad depleted even more, by the possible departure of the likes of Vyner or anybody who will fill SL`s bursting wallet with a few more quid, while we hope for mainly untried youngsters to continue our assault to the prem and hope our exp manager will still be here at the end of it. :dunno:

I fully agree with your points but highlighted the SL bit because it still frustrates me that people write this narrative of SL is in it for the money. The man has done nothing but spend money on this club, he's sold shares in his business to finance the stadium, the training ground, to balance the books when the club couldn't do it on its own merit and still people insult him like he's cheap. I would genuinely be interested to see how much money he has lost to this club because I don't think for a second he's made any personal profit. 

Also whilst I'm on the subject, it really sucks that we're not reinvesting but I'm seeing this as SL finally putting his foot down and saying "I want the club to be able to survive without me" and I fully understand that. Does it mean we're going to struggle more? I think it's obvious to say that we will, but if the club can't get itself in a position where it pays for itself what happens when SL is gone? How likely are we to find another owner who will endlessly pump cash into the club only to get hamstringed by FFP which will see us unable to achieve promotion and have to go through another wages reduction etc.

If new owners come in, splash the cash and we fall short again, as we did under Ashton and LJ then we find ourselves back in the wages reduction and rebuild situation and then the new owners have to put more cash in without any progress. Realistically, who is going to do that for a club that has never been in the Premier League? Only a City fan would be that crazy IMO which is why SL has done that exact thing for so long. 

We're all City fans, but if tomorrow sometime said "throw all the money you have at City this season and we'll have a much better chance of promotion" how many of you would do it knowing that it may not end in promotion but would certainly leave you having to sell more of your assets to be able to try it all over again with the knowledge that this was what you'd be doing for 20 years with no improvement? 

SL has been injecting cash into this club for over half of my life and I'm no spring chicken, I can understand that good dear is that if he sells the club and it can't stand on its own merit, then the next owner could lose interest and if they're not a fan of the club or is no longer a club they love, it's just another asset they have. SL is a fan so as much as it frustrates when he tightens the strings, I do think he does it as a man in a position to see that the club need it to survive without him funding it. It's hard to accept that when we've just sold our star player and only invested the tiniest amount in a loan with a view to buy but I do think that SL is looking to sell and he doesn't want to sell the club in a position where the buyer needs to come in and spend years trying to fix overspending. I think his plan is to sell the club with a decent squad, when all are fit, but with room to spend on players so the new owners can impliment the changes that they want to without being constrained by large wages bills and FFP issues. 

What does this mean for us this season? It means we'll struggle, but we'll aim to get by, to do our best and then invest when a new owner comes in or when a new manager takes over. Either way I don't begrudge SL, I'm frustrated by our shortcomings during the Ashton era but I can understand SL's cut backs to improve the clubs stance to be sold with potential for the new owners to get off on the right foot by being able to offer more wages and money to spend without large constraints on them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I did not say he would choose to go. But it seems to me on the cards that he will be asked to leave.

• Confused 1

I’ve just watched the full presser. After the hysteria on this thread I expected something far worse than what I saw. Pearson was jovial, much more so than usual, and reiterated time and time again that he is willing and ready to work within the parameters that have been set. And within those parameters he “absolutely” believes the ambitions set pre season haven’t shifted an inch. Focus on what was actually said and it was a fairly positive interview. 

This forum has been an unhinged read for days now. Again I quote Nige from the latest presser that a couple of poor results can tend to send people on an ‘emotional rollercoaster’ and I feel that’s what’s happened here. If we’d won a couple more, even if some of the results had happened in a different pattern, there would nothing close to the levels of paranoia seen on here recently. I also feel a lot of this noise is related to past events, pent up frustration over a number of years, rather than the actual situation at hand today. I understand that, but focus on the reality of now and it’s nowhere near a crisis. We have important players out injured which is emphasising the situation tenfold. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

I’ve just watched the full presser. After the hysteria on this thread I expected something far worse than what I saw. Pearson was jovial, much more so than usual, and reiterated time and time again that he is willing and ready to work within the parameters that have been set. And within those parameters he “absolutely” believes the ambitions set pre season haven’t shifted an inch. Focus on what was actually said and it was a fairly positive interview. 

This forum has been an unhinged read for days now. Again I quote Nige from the latest presser that a couple of poor results can tend to send people on an ‘emotional rollercoaster’ and I feel that’s what’s happened here. If we’d won a couple more, even if some of the results had happened in a different pattern, there would nothing close to the levels of paranoia seen on here recently. I also feel a lot of this noise is related to past events, pent up frustration over a number of years, rather than the actual situation at hand today. I understand that, but focus on the reality of now and it’s nowhere near a crisis. We have important players out injured which is emphasising the situation tenfold. 

That’s completely fair.

I do think it isn’t unreasonable to say though that even the more cautious amongst us expected Pearson to be able to bring in more than one loan player with Scott sold & Kalas & now HNM’s futures being elsewhere.

There is some complete nonsense on here but also anger at SL’s comments & apparent desire to create this bloody “nest egg”.

• Flames 1

Someone mentioned it earlier, can't remember who, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Nige doesn't want to extend his contract, has made it known that this is it - he's off to "spend more time with the family" and so the club have decided to tread water for this season so that the new man (LJ) can have the "nest egg".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

I think Nigel will put himself in charge of the U 21’s unless he signs a new contract. He won’t want himself in charge if he hasn’t committed his future to the club.

:whistle2:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, daored said:

Have a feeling by the time we play West Brom , Pearson won’t be manager of city 

Oh well so early in the season and it's all gone into meltdown. Not great start on the field but could of been worse. The 2 two injuries have been costly. I do feel NP had McCrorie signed for a particularly job in the team and Conway a big lose.but NP goes on with no complaints. Scotty goes, as we expected, with no incomings with incoming monies. Which I am not surprised by. Still NP goes on, But the problem is simple. No one from the club is talking to the press or fans. SL, CEO, and whatever role his son does from the beach . Have to be up front and at least explain what is going on and why. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

As per my OP…I posted this to show what Nige said.  There was no inference of him being moody, having a go, etc.

Purely posted along with snippets of James Piercy’s transcript to give clarity to the Qs we’ve all been asking.

In summary.

Nige didn’t set the budget, he will adhere to it as best he can.

He doesn’t know why he can’t use some of the funds generated from the Scott sale and any further questions should be directed as others, he can only front-up the football-ops stuff.

I don’t think there is hysteria on here, but justified annoyance at what Nige is having to deal with PLUS the lack of any noise from “above”….based on expectations from previous comments from Nige, Tins re recruitment and SL re “what football makes it can spend”

This forum isn’t unhinged at all.  If fans being annoyed at what appears to be a renege of promises from SL is unhinged, then send me to my padded cell now.

27 minutes ago, cheese said:

Someone mentioned it earlier, can't remember who, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Nige doesn't want to extend his contract, has made it known that this is it - he's off to "spend more time with the family" and so the club have decided to tread water for this season so that the new man (LJ) can have the "nest egg".

I don’t believe that is true, I believe Nige wants to continue his time here.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That’s completely fair.

I do think it isn’t unreasonable to say though that even the more cautious amongst us expected Pearson to be able to bring in more than one loan player with Scott sold & Kalas & now HNM’s futures being elsewhere.

There is some complete nonsense on here but also anger at SL’s comments & apparent desire to create this bloody “nest egg”.

At the same time, if Lansdown suddenly allocates 20% of the Scott fee towards a creative midfielder and a centre back, does some of this vitriol suddenly go away? I doubt it. The margins don’t seem that tight. It seems like it’s the result of years of frustration which again I understand.  Some of you have been supporting City a lot longer than I have and if you are a senior fan I can see how you’d be completely ground down by the prospect of another false dawn. However there has to be some perspective on the actual situation at hand, today, right now. We’ve adopted a strategy that most of us thought was necessary after the mess we found ourselves in recently and we’re sticking to it. We’ve spent money, yes not proportional with the incoming but still not insignificant amounts across the last two windows. We’ve got a manager determined to get on with the situation in hand despite what scrolling past news bites might suggest.

We’ve seen this club in crisis, it isn’t in crisis now.

I remember a thread after the West Brom Boxing Day loss last season. ‘The Lansdowns are a pox on this football club’, or something like that. Football is a results business in every way and this is what bad results do. They tint the perspective on everything and cause frantic, dramatic responses. Especially when expectation isn’t met. It’s always been the same. A couple of wins, a good performance and a result at Swansea, everything settles down. People start seeing the positives more, the players due to come back from injury, perhaps Yeobah makes an impact and all of a sudden we’re looking towards the horizon of a successful season. As it happens we have had 3 poor home performances which, in my opinion, has accounted for the overwhelming majority of this negativity. 

By the way, I called for the managers head that day against West Brom, I’m not claiming to be above the reactionary fan, I would also love to see a new addition to the midfield and think we need one. But there is a real imbalance and paranoia to some of the stuff being written on here recently that is genuinely quite bizarre. We’re four games into the league season, let’s see how things unfold and try not to let the past overwhelm what could be possible in the present. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Everything sold, lock stock and two stinking barrels - strap yourselves in boys and girls, this will get very messy.

You can get a heck of a lot of expensive apartments with wonderful views on the AG footprint.

The new owner will be under zero obligation to keep the land for sporting facilities. Zero.

Don't be daft. We're all pissed off but that's hysterical. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As per my OP…I posted this to show what Nige said.  There was no inference of him being moody, having a go, etc.

Purely posted along with snippets of James Piercy’s transcript to give clarity to the Qs we’ve all been asking.

In summary.

Nige didn’t set the budget, he will adhere to it as best he can.

He doesn’t know why he can’t use some of the funds generated from the Scott sale and any further questions should be directed as others, he can only front-up the football-ops stuff.

I don’t think there is hysteria on here, but justified annoyance at what Nige is having to deal with PLUS the lack of any noise from “above”….based on expectations from previous comments from Nige, Tins re recruitment and SL re “what football makes it can spend”

This forum isn’t unhinged at all.  If fans being annoyed at what appears to be a renege of promises from SL is unhinged, then send me to my padded cell now.

I completely understand annoyance. Especially if you’ve been witness to what people feel is now a cycle repeating itself for many years over. It must be maddening. But I’m talking about some of the more shadowy conspiratorial stuff. Inferences that the Lansdown’s are plotting NP’s downfall or have lined up his successor with a war chest ready to burn. I don’t feel that some of the things being said reflect the actual reality of the situation, or what we’ve heard from the lips of NP. I defintely don’t think I’ve ever seen a managers words be quite as hyper analysed. To me he just seems content to be getting on with the job and has faith in the players he has. Why don’t the very positive things he says in press conferences get quoted and stuck up online? Rhetorical question, but as it did yesterday a small, potentially negative snippet being plastered everywhere before the full presser is even available massively adds to the imbalance of opinion. 

What I don’t want is for us as a fan base to write off a season and squad that could yet prove positive before they’ve even had a chance. The manager has faith in them, most of us have faith in the manager, so let’s see how they develop. 

The need for clarity I fully appreciate and that would put a lot of questions to bed. That silence is really something that feeds wayward narratives too. You have to hope it’s coming. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2