IGNORED

Zac Vyner

Red Army 75

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If he had been sold, without a replacement, then I think we would have seen Nigel clear his office. 
It would have been a disaster for the club as much  for the message it sent to everyone. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if city put the Vyner interest out there. Now they can say they retained one of our best players and signed him to a new deal despite interest from clubs higher up. 

Took 6-7 years to get him a song. We still can’t spell his name right. Most under appreciated player in our history ? we have kept a good player so is good news. Glad he got a new deal and should be paid fairly now. Gone through a lot here and have to respect him for coming through stronger

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Just for clarity to all the posts saying 'thought the wage budget was at its limit' or some iteration of this.

Why would any club set a wage structure with the intention to renew existing contracts and not account for the extra wages that will add to it. Just to be really clear.. they had Vyners extra dosh on the table in their mind when setting the wage structure.

You’d think this would be obvious 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Just for clarity to all the posts saying 'thought the wage budget was at its limit' or some iteration of this.

Why would any club set a wage structure with the intention to renew existing contracts and not account for the extra wages that will add to it. Just to be really clear.. they had Vyners extra dosh on the table in their mind when setting the wage structure.

Yeah man. And Pring’s, Conway’s and Bell’s

From a PR point of view it makes perfect sense to announce Vyner on deadline day. Most city fans don’t trawl the forum and social media all day looking for signs of a signing. They will look at the website or wherever they get their news last night or this morning and see Vyner has signed a new contract and it will soften the bad news of no signings. It’s just a basic PR move that isn’t meant to offend anyone. 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Some of you have either gone off the deep end or, more likely, are trying a bit too hard to show that you're dead angry.

It's ok, we still have the Matchday Thread to come. Only two scenario's today:

1) Play well and Nige/The Lads are showing the middle finger to the Circus Upstairs

2) Bedlam.................

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's ok, we still have the Matchday Thread to come. Only two scenario's today:

1) Play well and Nige/The Lads are showing the middle finger to the Circus Upstairs

2) Bedlam.................

I must say it was nice in midweek to be spared the forum meltdown.  It’s shown me it’s a good idea to not come on here when we lose until the next day.  Will my self discipline be tested today?!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I must say it was nice in midweek to be spared the forum meltdown.  It’s shown me it’s a good idea to not come on here when we lose until the next day.  Will my self discipline be tested today?!

I'm doing exactly that now. There are five or six posters who get too nasty and just generally drag the place down when we are losing or lose imo...............you know the type and probably who I'm on about, 35 year olds who post silly meme's when they get pulled up about it.

I get it that people are angry when we lose but slagging the manager, individual players, the club off for 90 minutes whilst the game is going on because you have an unbelievably immature/childish/stunted emotional reaction to disappointment is grating tbh.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 10
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Twitter / X bore the brunt instead! ?

It would’ve been an interesting MDT, because you were either at the ground watching, or relying on SSNs updates or Sheridan Robins / Gary Owers radio comms.  There weren’t any streams.  I don’t think you can really judge from the radio, not in terms of “x was great”, “y was shit” type stuff we see on the MDT. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Would have thought the following were also factors;

We now know that there is compensation coming from Burnley for Massengo.

That Owura Edwards’ wages this season are going to be being paid by someone else.

Budgets might have fixed expenditure amounts, but how that sum is spent will change & these are 2 examples of how that has happened this week.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Twitter / X bore the brunt instead! ?

It would’ve been an interesting MDT, because you were either at the ground watching, or relying on SSNs updates or Sheridan Robins / Gary Owers radio comms.  There weren’t any streams.  I don’t think you can really judge from the radio, not in terms of “x was great”, “y was shit” type stuff we see on the MDT. 

The classic post match call to Radio Bristol where a fan gives a detailed analysis of the game and why we were so bad only to then divulge they listened to it on the radio! 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm doing exactly that now. There are five or six posters who get too nasty and just generally drag the place down when we are losing or lose imo...............you know the type and probably who I'm on about, 35 year olds who post silly meme's when they get pulled up about it.

I get it that people are angry when we lose but slagging the manager, individual players, the club off for 90 minutes whilst the game is going on because you have an unbelievably immature/childish/stunted emotional reaction to disappointment is grating tbh.

Eh?! What’s wrong with being 35 ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Took 6-7 years to get him a song. We still can’t spell his name right. Most under appreciated player in our history ? we have kept a good player so is good news. Glad he got a new deal and should be paid fairly now. Gone through a lot here and have to respect him for coming through stronger

For two seasons he was an actual liability and if we were still playing 3 at the back he still would be. I like Vyner as a person and to a degree he can be a solid defender with the right players around him in the right formation. In a back 4 he needs a good center back alongside him and a right back who doesn't overcommit as his positioning is largely affected by who is around him, hence in the back 3 he falls out of position and gets caught out. He's also prone to a dodgy pass still but his professionalism, determination and mind set are good strongest qualities which is why the club has stuck by him even when the fans didn't. 

Vyner will never be that talisman defender, the attitude is right, the drive is right but he has holes in his game that seem to be bad habits that he can't shake. He's definitely worked on them and due to his good attitude will keep working on them and in a bank 4 they won't be s prominent. I hope he does well, now he has the contract he has to keep working at his game and he seems to have struck up a good understanding with Dickie which is always a positive. 

I think a lot of people think I dislike Vyner, I don't, I like the bloke a lot, he just frustrates me because he has an amazing attitude and if he had the natural positioning and decision making that some players do I think he would have gone on to play Premier League football. 

Just now, Spike said:

For two seasons he was an actual liability and if we were still playing 3 at the back he still would be. I like Vyner as a person and to a degree he can be a solid defender with the right players around him in the right formation. In a back 4 he needs a good center back alongside him and a right back who doesn't overcommit as his positioning is largely affected by who is around him, hence in the back 3 he falls out of position and gets caught out. He's also prone to a dodgy pass still but his professionalism, determination and mind set are good strongest qualities which is why the club has stuck by him even when the fans didn't. 

Vyner will never be that talisman defender, the attitude is right, the drive is right but he has holes in his game that seem to be bad habits that he can't shake. He's definitely worked on them and due to his good attitude will keep working on them and in a bank 4 they won't be s prominent. I hope he does well, now he has the contract he has to keep working at his game and he seems to have struck up a good understanding with Dickie which is always a positive. 

I think a lot of people think I dislike Vyner, I don't, I like the bloke a lot, he just frustrates me because he has an amazing attitude and if he had the natural positioning and decision making that some players do I think he would have gone on to play Premier League football. 

You aren’t wrong but imo we didn’t do him any favours. Ok broke through at rb because we had some minutes there. Then a good loan at Plymouth where he did well at CB in a 4. Then back here at RB. Was it Rotherham pr Scotland next? RB at rotherham for sure. Then back here and chucked in midfield during covid and after a run was probably one of our better performers. Then out of team again. Then in a 3. Then finally back to a 4 on the right side with a steady run of games. 

I feel like he is only growing still tbf. You can pick out mistakes he makes but you see that at every level. Good athlete, good defender and good on the ball. Yes he should limit those cross field balls some. Yes he’ll face some big strikers where he gets bullied some. That is normal stuff for players at this level. I don’t think he’d let any team at this level down over a full season. Sure you can do better but what is it costing you? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

You aren’t wrong but imo we didn’t do him any favours. Ok broke through at rb because we had some minutes there. Then a good loan at Plymouth where he did well at CB in a 4. Then back here at RB. Was it Rotherham pr Scotland next? RB at rotherham for sure. Then back here and chucked in midfield during covid and after a run was probably one of our better performers. Then out of team again. Then in a 3. Then finally back to a 4 on the right side with a steady run of games. 

I feel like he is only growing still tbf. You can pick out mistakes he makes but you see that at every level. Good athlete, good defender and good on the ball. Yes he should limit those cross field balls some. Yes he’ll face some big strikers where he gets bullied some. That is normal stuff for players at this level. I don’t think he’d let any team at this level down over a full season. Sure you can do better but what is it costing you? 

I agree with all of this but I guess my issue is that I've seen players learn from their mistakes with a couple of years and get those mistakes out of their game, we've had Vyner here since the academy and he's still making the same mistakes at 26 that he did as a teenager. The one thing, more than any other, that makes me happy to see him sign a new contract is his age, Zac feels like he should be 30 from how long we've had him but he's now at his prime age and CBs tend to go longer at their prime, I think he's still going enough to learn a lot more and because of his good attitude I don't doubt for a second that he'll stop giving 100% like many other players in the past have done when getting a long contact. 

I suppose to sum it up, I'm happy he's signed, that's got to be a good thing right, to be able to see weaknesses in a player's game but still be happy they're here for the long haul? I just hope something clicks and he really comes into his own as he's still got plenty of time for it to happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Nothing. Being 35, unable to deal with disappointment and posting childish meme's is an issue though...........which I would be quite willing to bet is something you personally don't do!!

You know as a 61 year old I have battled with the use of memes and whether I should be using them, but I have come to realise that for me they are the Social Media version of this.

https://youtu.be/v2mLAajm7ZY?si=BlLIjxqK2TnWVy04

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF

• Haha 3