IGNORED

The greatest fairytale in football..

DolmanGaz

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Watford FC - from Division 4 in 1978 to finishing 2nd in the Premier League (Top Division) in 1983 ... Graham Taylor and Elton John ... bottom to top in just five seasons ... amazing achievement in my opinion ... ??

Very kind of you sir!

A few teams did that sort of thing I think in that era although not quite to 2nd place and then Europe/a Cup final the next season. 

Edited by Markthehorn

33 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Aren't all fairytales fictitious?

Or am I just being a grumpy old gator?

Are you suggesting the 10,000 unfortunates locked outside, Wael's billionaire status and the state-of-the-art stadium at the Fruit Market, are all simply wild, unbelievable fantasies?

If so, no doubt some deluded Fewer will assure you they are all as real as Irene's chastity.

1 minute ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Are you suggesting the 10,000 unfortunates locked outside, Wael's billionaire status and the state-of-the-art stadium at the Fruit Market, are all simply wild, unbelievable fantasies?

If so, no doubt some deluded Fewer will assure you they are all as real as Irene's chastity.

Yes I am Joe. Yes I am.?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Celtic winning the European Cup with a team all born within 10 miles of the club?

Toto Schillaci going from Series C to scoring 6 goals in the World Cup finals?

Not sure the first one is a fairytale but given the nature of football these days, it’s the most unlikely to be repeated, even if I understood it was all born within 30 miles of Parkhead rather than 10.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Not even close, just another mundane club who have made it to the Prem like many many others excluding us

I think that's a little harsh though it should come with a warning, Never rest on your laurels, You got lucky once don't ever take it for granted.

Edited by pillred

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Watford FC - from Division 4 in 1978 to finishing 2nd in the Premier League (Top Division) in 1983 ... Graham Taylor and Elton John ... bottom to top in just five seasons ... amazing achievement in my opinion ... ??

Of course, City being the city we managed almost the complete opposite, though I'm not sure that's what we are after on this thread, maybe the greatest nightmare: laugh.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Forest under Clough was an incredible rise/story. That'll be my top fairytale.

Of course, the whole point of the Champions League was to reinforce the positions of the self-described “biggest clubs in Europe”, and reduce the chances of upstart teams like Forest or PSV winning the biggest club competition in Europe. Look at the lack of variety in which teams have won the Champions League versus which ones won the European Cup. Can you also imagine teams from Scotland, Greece, Sweden or Belgium reaching the final of the Champions League? No neither can I. In fact the way it’s set up now, the champions of those countries might not even make the main group stages let alone reach the knockout phase or final.

As with so many other areas of business so as with football; at the top end of supposed free market capitalism it tends more towards successful monopolies rather than healthy competition  - Manchester City aiming to win their 6th Premier League title in 7 years, Bayern Munich winning the Bundesliga 11 years in a row…

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 3