IGNORED

HOME ATMOSPHERE/ PERFORMANCE.

marmite

I know this has been mentioned in several other threads, especially this past few weeks, but what is the reason the team AND the crowd are so lacklustre and uninspiring at home?

We've had all the theories about location of away fans and the home singers and one question keeps cropping up. Do you join in with the singing?

Well one reason maybe is that we don't have song to sing. Where is our identity.what is our song? It's not the bloody "Red red robin" or "Drink up thy cider". Neither of them will inspire the crowd.(and don't even mention "HI ho silver lining")

Most clubs have a club song  , even the Rovers. (Yes I know it's crap but it's theirs)

So come on guys and girls. Surely some one can come up with a Bristol City Anthem that we all know the words to and 15000 plus fans can sing together to lift the mood at home. 

Over to you.

There’s so many facets that go into determining an atmosphere imo. I sit in E30 and unless we’ve just scored or are really knocking on the door I’m often singing alone! Well, maybe 3 or 4 others.

Hopefully recent away performances and results will be reflected in home atmosphere as we’re all a bit happier. Also - as mentioned earlier - the lack of financial backing from big Steve may lead to more love to the very narrow squad we have. No one can ever say they don’t work their balls off for the badge.

Because we sing songs like “8 men had a dream” which are so flat the away fans would have no idea what any of the words are. We have no ingenuity when it comes to decent chants. A city version of Allez Allez Allez would be good but we recycle the same old tunes season after season and just change the players names. A number of clubs ply HI Ho silver lining right before kick off and that gets belted out. West Brom play the liquidator with some choice lyrics, again very good but we don’t do anything to lift the crowd I’m afraid.

Attacking football would help lift the all round mood of the the stadium but we can’t do much about that. 

16 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

A city version of Allez Allez Allez would be good but we recycle the same old tunes season after season and just change the players names. 

We are bristol city, we come from Ashton Gate, the Cardiff and the rovers, we really f##ing hate, we love to drink the cider, we love to sing and fight, and when we get promotion, we'll sing this song all night.... allez allez allez etc

Here you go, it's a good job Robbored is on an extended holiday ?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bissellredhead said:

We are bristol city, we come from Ashton Gate, the Cardiff and the rovers, we really f##ing hate, we love to drink the cider, we love to sing and fight, and when we get promotion, we'll sing this song all night.... allez allez allez etc

Here you go, it's a good job Robbored is on an extended holiday ?

That’s actually a banger. For that reason it probably will never take off. Hats off to you though!

• Like 1

When playing away from home it is (arguably) easier to go at your opposition without fear of reprisal than it is at home. I maintain that we have a squad of mentally weak players, and that shows when we’re at home.

That being said, they deserve all the plaudits for today’s win - let’s keep that momentum going!

Edited by OddBallJim
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

When playing away from home it is (arguably) easier to go at your opposition without fear of reprisal than it is at home. I maintain that we have a squad of mentally weak players, and that shows when we’re at home.

That being said, they deserve all the plaudits for today’s win - let’s keep that momentum going!

I wouldn’t say we have a squad of mentally week players as I’d say the atmosphere at grounds like Millwall and Swansea far outweigh a bit of stick they may get from our own fans at the Gate 

We just play better on the counter. Home teams will always set out to win a game and that suits us . We simply struggle at home because teams set up differently and we not smart enough to change our game plan 

We struggle physically too. Birmingham were always going to beat us and I’d argue teams of similar ilk will do the same this season 

Our away form will be better then our home form again this year 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I wouldn’t say we have a squad of mentally week players as I’d say the atmosphere at grounds like Millwall and Swansea far outweigh a bit of stick they may get from our own fans at the Gate 

We just play better on the counter. Home teams will always set out to win a game and that suits us . We simply struggle at home because teams set up differently and we not smart enough to change our game plan 

We struggle physically too. Birmingham were always going to beat us and I’d argue teams of similar ilk will do the same this season 

Our away form will be better then our home form again this year 

We have a good midfield but it can lack a bit of variety and craft. More pronounced vs sides like Birmingham at home, whereas on the road a bit more space etc.

Now if we could have hypothetically put Scott and Naismith in it..at home v Preston and Birmingham say and we would likely see a different scenario.

• Like 1

We have a ready made chant, and imo, up there with the mighty Millwall roar, I give you.. 

...the Doobie doobie doo song, otherwise known as the Tom Thumb theme tune.

It's simple, clean language, and causes a loud "Ohhhhh" or roar when done properly, and even better, it's unique to us ?

Edited by beaverface
  • Like 12
  • Flames 2

Actually most clubs don't have a song, not unique to them anyway. Standards like The Red Red, Robin, Goodnight Irene, Blue Moon, You'll Never Walk Alone etc are all American songs or show tunes whereas Delilah for example is a song made famous by Tom Jones. Stockport County is one example of a side who've adapted a song (the controversial political song The Sash to The Scarf my Father wore). Norwich City (On the Ball City) and Chelsea (Blue is the Colour) might be said to have a song of their own. The closest we have is One for the Bristol City, which I prefer to Drink up thee Zider but it has too many words and verses for many so often gets a weak airing. Perhaps we need a newly penned tune. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection

In the 70s in the East end we used to sing you'll never walk alone and that got everyone going. It is not Liverpool's to own. Of course we were standing then which also helped.I

But for me a good old fashioned one to the tune of tiperarry .

It's a long way to Bristol city, it's a long way to go, it's a long way to Bristol City to the greatest team I know. Goodbye Bristol rovers, farewell Cardiff too, it's a long long way to Bristol City but out hearts with you.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, beaverface said:

We have a ready made chant, and imo, up there with the mighty Millwall roar, I give you.. 

It's simple, clean language, and causes a loud "Ohhhhh" or roar when done properly, and even better, it's unique to us ?

Never heard it in the Lansdown.?

2 hours ago, pogue malone said:

Last 5 or so seasons we have lost a lot of home matches and drawn quite a few,. dropping 25 + pts a season. Side ways football and hardly any play to cheer at, fans need to be excited, i prefer to watch us play away from home

Exactly. For a few years now I feel our game/players eg. Bell and Sykes,  has been suited to playing away. When teams sit off of us at AG a bit we really struggle to make any impression at all. It’s dull to watch and I think it  has plenty to do with the below par atmosphere . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

I remember that when I first started going in the 80’s. Absolutely loved that one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

What’s the story behind that song? It’s so specific - there must be a reason  

38 minutes ago, marmite said:

Never heard it in the Lansdown.?

The Lansdown stand is horrible for atmosphere. It’s enormous and filled with non-singers.

That, plus the away fans being as physically far away from vocal home fans as possible = poor atmosphere. It’s such a shame because those in the corner do try.

The club had opportunity to get this right - the way to do that was to put away fans in the closest blocks to the Atyeo in the Lansdown or Dolman.. and give the entire Atyeo to vocal home fans.

I’d bet pretty much anything that if they’d done that and allowed the culture to grow in the home end - the atmosphere would be unrecognisable.

I believe that ‘the club’ don’t really want that though. They believe that atmosphere, or at least the more typical terrace culture atmosphere, = trouble. The club want families and more of a rugby clientele.. people who will drink at the ground and buy from the club shop. 

I think most of us know that positive home atmosphere contributes to the likelihood of good results. It’s such a shame the club have never really agreed.. and dragged their feet the entire time.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The Lansdown stand is horrible for atmosphere. It’s enormous and filled with non-singers.

That, plus the away fans being as physically far away from vocal home fans as possible = poor atmosphere. It’s such a shame because those in the corner do try.

The club had opportunity to get this right - the way to do that was to put away fans in the closest blocks to the Atyeo in the Lansdown or Dolman.. and give the entire Atyeo to vocal home fans.

I’d bet pretty much anything that if they’d done that and allowed the culture to grow in the home end - the atmosphere would be unrecognisable.

I believe that ‘the club’ don’t really want that though. They believe that atmosphere, or at least the more typical terrace culture atmosphere, = trouble. The club want families and more of a rugby clientele.. people who will drink at the ground and buy from the club shop. 

I think most of us know that positive home atmosphere contributes to the likelihood of good results. It’s such a shame the club have never really agreed.. and dragged their feet the entire time.

A certain Safety body are probably quite difficult in this respect, even though I do tend to agree with your post.

All lights being kept on at night , a bone of contention for many appears to be at their behest e.g. as per the 2014 stuff in the public domain.

The Lansdown is always going to be that way. Very pricy tickets, kids in the Upper and directors and corporates. It's a bit of a lost cause for atmosphere, I wrote it off some time ago for this.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

32 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You're right about the atmosphere in the Lansdown. I've been there since it was built and apart from the high profile cup games, when admittedly there were non season ticket holders in there , its as flat as can be. The singing reaches us but we can't make out the words or the tune sometimes. It was probably built that way with the singing section in the far corner, as the corporate boxes are behind us with all the suits and directors.

I just feel we need a proper anthem belted out just before ko that we all know and can join in. The players will hear it in the tunnel and it may just give them, and us, an extra lift.

• Like 2