IGNORED

HOME ATMOSPHERE/ PERFORMANCE.

marmite

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

When the opposition scored back then, a popular response was: "you're gonna get yer ****ing heads kicked in!" Great atmosphere in those days .....

Yes heard that one too!

My point is you don't get crowds these days simply chanting the winning margin. What has changed?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Barrristol! That used to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when a packed out and fired up EE chanted it.

Agree mate.. Don’t hear any of the old songs anymore, not heard ‘Barrisstoll’! In ******* years to be honest, class when the EE used to belt that out as you said. 

Feels like section 82 needs a few more older heads in amongst them. Too many young’uns for me. 

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, we have zero talent in S32 to create unique and original songs.  They don't even seem to copy good ones.  Really monotone dull ones that have no passion. 

Clubs like Liverpool and Man Utd have some great songsmith and a way to get these songs known by supporters.  Appreciate they have many many more fans to draw on, but surely S32 could come up with one decent effort?  

• Like 1

On 02/09/2023 at 20:24, Phileas Fogg said:

What’s the story behind that song? It’s so specific - there must be a reason  

Back in the day you had the official coaches to away games.

And you had unofficial coaches that went from The Bloomer/Sandringham/Rising Sun.

Those that know will know what sort of chaps went on them unofficial coaches.

Where these chaps went you would hear Tom Thumb from about 84 onwards.

Hear it outside the ground .. You might hear OB sirens as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Unfortunately, we have zero talent in S32 to create unique and original songs.  They don't even seem to copy good ones.  Really monotone dull ones that have no passion. 

Clubs like Liverpool and Man Utd have some great songsmith and a way to get these songs known by supporters.  Appreciate they have many many more fans to draw on, but surely S32 could come up with one decent effort?  

These conversations have been happening on repeat since the rebuild and there’s one common denominator throughout that time - us!

We are perfectly capable of creating a good atmosphere. But we need to organise and put a bit of effort in on match days. A Block seemed to be the turning point and for the first few games the atmosphere was really improved. This also proved the club are willing to, if not work with us, turn a blind eye to such movements. But it fizzled out fast, there was even some (understandable) backlash to it from within our own fan base and this all leaves me wondering whether there’s actually enough appetite to turn it around, or whether we’re the type of fan base who puts atmosphere down as a priority anymore. Perhaps we are just used to comfortable, modern, sleepy Ashton Gate and aren’t that bothered about getting embarrassed by away support every week. 

On 02/09/2023 at 17:14, CityCiderEd said:

When I used to go to the gate I named our fans the "10 second chanters"...... Very rarely heard one last longer. 

You obviously didn’t hear City fans singing “One man went to burn a Twerton” back in the 80s & 90s. That went on for circa 5 minutes!!! AG today is a soulless ground with next to no atmosphere. Always liked the older compact grounds.

On 02/09/2023 at 19:03, beaverface said:

We have a ready made chant, and imo, up there with the mighty Millwall roar, I give you.. 

...the Doobie doobie doo song, otherwise known as the Tom Thumb theme tune.

It's simple, clean language, and causes a loud "Ohhhhh" or roar when done properly, and even better, it's unique to us ?

Great shout.

Back in the 80s, chaos usually reigned just after the song. Remember going back to Exeter on a private coach after Plymouth away. All 50 odd of us went in to this pub - Doobie, doobie - started. Noone from Exeter knew what the hell was going on. Ashby dela Zouch was another regular stop off on the way back from games up North.

Great days. I lived to tell the tale!

Edited by fisherrich

To the chase. I was at the Birmingham home game last week. I'd already noticed this happening before but the location of our vocal fans is absolutely handing the advantage to the away teams. It is always said that the fans are the twelfth man and boy it seems incredibly ridiculous that a non football related decision can affect the football decision so much.  It is no secret that since the new stadium upgrade a great atmosphere is hard to generate unless its really rammed. Of course there have been exceptions. But in general the Atyeo stand is a fine low roof area that a few thousand fans can make incredibly hostile and this advantage should be utilised by the home fans. In my opinion the club should do as others do to help their team and locate the away fans in an upper tier where they can least affect the players morale. The above comment about having mentally weak players is pathetic

• Like 1

On 02/09/2023 at 20:30, Phileas Fogg said:

The Lansdown stand is horrible for atmosphere. It’s enormous and filled with non-singers.

That, plus the away fans being as physically far away from vocal home fans as possible = poor atmosphere. It’s such a shame because those in the corner do try.

The club had opportunity to get this right - the way to do that was to put away fans in the closest blocks to the Atyeo in the Lansdown or Dolman.. and give the entire Atyeo to vocal home fans.

I’d bet pretty much anything that if they’d done that and allowed the culture to grow in the home end - the atmosphere would be unrecognisable.

I believe that ‘the club’ don’t really want that though. They believe that atmosphere, or at least the more typical terrace culture atmosphere, = trouble. The club want families and more of a rugby clientele.. people who will drink at the ground and buy from the club shop. 

I think most of us know that positive home atmosphere contributes to the likelihood of good results. It’s such a shame the club have never really agreed.. and dragged their feet the entire time.

I totally agree

23 hours ago, BUTOR said:

These conversations have been happening on repeat since the rebuild and there’s one common denominator throughout that time - us!

We are perfectly capable of creating a good atmosphere. But we need to organise and put a bit of effort in on match days. A Block seemed to be the turning point and for the first few games the atmosphere was really improved. This also proved the club are willing to, if not work with us, turn a blind eye to such movements. But it fizzled out fast, there was even some (understandable) backlash to it from within our own fan base and this all leaves me wondering whether there’s actually enough appetite to turn it around, or whether we’re the type of fan base who puts atmosphere down as a priority anymore. Perhaps we are just used to comfortable, modern, sleepy Ashton Gate and aren’t that bothered about getting embarrassed by away support every week. 

It isn't US though, is it?  Like it or not we have a singing section that have taken on the mantle of creating atmosphere, so Section 32 are leading things.  I have no idea whether it was the club's initiative alone or it was in response to a clamour from fans to create a 'singing' section, but as things are personally I am not a fan. To my mind those fans sprinkled around the whole ground would be more likely to get others join in.  I guess we are where we are, so it isn't gonna change any time soon.

My gripe is that from all these self-appointed singers we have no one that can craft an original song that everyone feels they can join with.  Also, at times they seem to be lost in their own songs rather than responding to what's happening on the pitch.  For example, why don't we sing 'C'mon you reds' at every corner like we used before that section, rather than carrying on some endless durge started 2 minutes before?  Also, songs like the one that is punctuated with 'see you next tuesday' aren't ones that every fan (especially those taking their kids to the game) will want to join in with.  It alienates fans from that section.  No problem with swearing, it's just really lame.  Maybe some songs are just away songs?  

Personally, I do sing at games and always join in, but having some unique songs that everyone feels they can join in with, drop the embarrassing sh1te songs, and being more in tune with what happening on the pitch would help enormously. 

P s. And before anyone suggested getting there and influencing that section, I have a son with disability so that's not an option.   

Edited by Red Skin

23 hours ago, BUTOR said:

I don't agree with this really. Demographics of supporters around the country are pretty homogenous now, so it's not a case of some clubs having more supporters who create atmosphere.

Most clubs with a good atmosphere have developed a culture that helps create that, and it needs buy-in from the club. Liverpool is a prime example, the Kop as a concept is synonymous with Liverpool as a club. I always get the impression 'the club' are supportive of the old EE and the current singing block through gritted teeth rather than overtly. 

The club's idea of a good atmosphere is something like that Man City home game, where it was quite a family affair really. Lots of pomp and circumstance with that display conceptualised by the club. It was very "Come on you reds" and PG if that makes sense. There's nothing wrong with this as such, and it's obviously an improvement on the current regular home atmosphere but it's a stark contrast to, for example, Rovers at home in 2013. 

I think a lot of the issues with home games boil down to what the club want to endorse as a good atmosphere. If the club were 100% committed to having a vociferous, supportive and hostile AG - there's not a chance the current placement of away fans vs our singing area would be as it is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't agree with this really. Demographics of supporters around the country are pretty homogenous now, so it's not a case of some clubs having more supporters who create atmosphere.

Most clubs with a good atmosphere have developed a culture that helps create that, and it needs buy-in from the club. Liverpool is a prime example, the Kop as a concept is synonymous with Liverpool as a club. I always get the impression 'the club' are supportive of the old EE and the current singing block through gritted teeth rather than overtly. 

The club's idea of a good atmosphere is something like that Man City home game, where it was quite a family affair really. Lots of pomp and circumstance with that display conceptualised by the club. It was very "Come on you reds" and PG if that makes sense. There's nothing wrong with this as such, and it's obviously an improvement on the current regular home atmosphere but it's a stark contrast to, for example, Rovers at home in 2013. 

I think a lot of the issues with home games boil down to what the club want to endorse as a good atmosphere. If the club were 100% committed to having a vociferous, supportive and hostile AG - there's not a chance the current placement of away fans vs our singing area would be as it is.

Fair shout. Think it’s more of a worry for myself that the culture of the club has changed (or been manoeuvred) irreversibly towards that type of PG comfortability you mention. Which is what I mean when I ask whether we’re actually capable of getting that sort of Rovers 2013 atmosphere back anymore. 

I’m actually fascinated by what the atmosphere would be like if the Gas came to the new AG. I’d hope we would turn out in ferocious voice but there’s such a divide between generations now in terms of the importance of the rivalry. It would be interesting. I remember in 2013, getting out the car near the ground and just feeling it in the air. The intensity. For a first round JPT game. It’s just different. Don’t know if I’ve felt that since barring Man United but even that had quiet periods.

2 hours ago, Red Skin said:

It isn't US though, is it?  Like it or not we have a singing section that have taken on the mantle of creating atmosphere, so Section 32 are leading things.  I have no idea whether it was the club's initiative alone or it was in response to a clamour from fans to create a 'singing' section, but as things are personally I am not a fan. To my mind those fans sprinkled around the whole ground would be more likely to get others join in.  I guess we are where we are, so it isn't gonna change any time soon.

My gripe is that from all these self-appointed singers we have no one that can craft an original song that everyone feels they can join with.  Also, at times they seem to be lost in their own songs rather than responding to what's happening on the pitch.  For example, why don't we sing 'C'mon you reds' at every corner like we used before that section, rather than carrying on some endless durge started 2 minutes before?  Also, songs like the one that is punctuated with 'see you next tuesday' aren't ones that every fan (especially those taking their kids to the game) will want to join in with.  It alienates fans from that section.  No problem with swearing, it's just really lame.  Maybe some songs are just away songs?  

Personally, I do sing at games and always join in, but having some unique songs that everyone feels they can join in with, drop the embarrassing sh1te songs, and being more in tune with what happening on the pitch would help enormously. 

P s. And before anyone suggested getting there and influencing that section, I have a son with disability so that's not an option.   

I think you are being very unfair on section 82, firstly there are a lot of new songs they have come up with it's not there falt if the rest of the ground don't want to join in, 

I would say remember back to before the EE was reopened giving all the singers somewhere to go together for the first time in years it didn't work back then having singes sprinkled around the ground was was near impossible to get anything going, hence why they was such a call to reopen the east end and keep that going with section 82, your idea of closing down section 82 would just not work, 

The reason people don't sing come on you reds at every corner anymore is simply they are not prompt to by the club, in the old stadium the scoreboard on top the EE said come on you reads at every corner and everyone saw it and joined in, the new ground doesn't have that , I know it's a bit sad that people need that prompt but that's just how it is at the gate, maybe the club should start putting that up on the TV screens at corners ,

I am glad you sing and keep doing it maybe will make others around you join in 

12 minutes ago, winsaw said:

I would say remember back to before the EE was reopened giving all the singers somewhere to go together for the first time in years it didn't work back then having singes sprinkled around the ground was was near impossible to get anything going, hence why they was such a call to reopen the east end and keep that going with section 82, your idea of closing down section 82 would just not work, 

Fans campaigned in 2006/07 to reopen part of the East End for like minded fans. A very different thing to the singing section. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BUTOR said:

Fair shout. Think it’s more of a worry for myself that the culture of the club has changed (or been manoeuvred) irreversibly towards that type of PG comfortability you mention. Which is what I mean when I ask whether we’re actually capable of getting that sort of Rovers 2013 atmosphere back anymore. 

I’m actually fascinated by what the atmosphere would be like if the Gas came to the new AG. I’d hope we would turn out in ferocious voice but there’s such a divide between generations now in terms of the importance of the rivalry. It would be interesting. I remember in 2013, getting out the car near the ground and just feeling it in the air. The intensity. For a first round JPT game. It’s just different. Don’t know if I’ve felt that since barring Man United but even that had quiet periods.

I think there's a few factors at play. We've had a lot of midtable seasons. No real relegation scares as such, but no battles for top 6 either. That in itself dilutes the atmosphere. Even in the double winning season, we had the unfortunate timing of the ground renovation work ongoing which obviously has an impact.

I think the local derbies have become a bit less vociferous than they used to be - Cardiff doesn't have the same needle. Weirdly, Swansea seems to have more of an edge to it than it used to. I think the Cardiff situation isn't helped by their ground having a similar issue - a new ground where the atmos is diluted.

I think a game vs Rovers would be an exception actually. It would probably be a fantastic atmosphere, but there's plenty of needle and we play them so rarely that a good atmosphere is inevitable. It wouldn't be the club's preferred type of atmosphere by any stretch.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, paulcityfan said:

To the chase. I was at the Birmingham home game last week. I'd already noticed this happening before but the location of our vocal fans is absolutely handing the advantage to the away teams. It is always said that the fans are the twelfth man and boy it seems incredibly ridiculous that a non football related decision can affect the football decision so much.  It is no secret that since the new stadium upgrade a great atmosphere is hard to generate unless its really rammed. Of course there have been exceptions. But in general the Atyeo stand is a fine low roof area that a few thousand fans can make incredibly hostile and this advantage should be utilised by the home fans. In my opinion the club should do as others do to help their team and locate the away fans in an upper tier where they can least affect the players morale. The above comment about having mentally weak players is pathetic

I still don't buy the Atyeo having great acoustics in and of itself.

Better than the other 3 stands yes but less so than the East End pre rebuild e.g..

That would take time, how long would it take to rework the ground, get permission for a bigger Safe Standing area.

How would it work, would the Atyeo became a Safe Standing area of 4k or so?

I'm for bigger Safe Standing areas but there are 16 criteria by the looks.

Away allocations are a bit of a movable feast too.

EFL- 2k or 10 pct of capacity, whichever is lower.

FA Cup- 15 pct of capacity.

PL- If (ha) if we ever get there- 3k or 10 pct of capacity, whichever is lower.

There is possibly an element of Future Proofing in some of the current decision making.

Where exactly do the away fans go, how large an allocation, differential between League and FA Cup rules?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous