IGNORED

HOME ATMOSPHERE/ PERFORMANCE.

marmite

2 hours ago, beaverface said:

We have a ready made chant, and imo, up there with the mighty Millwall roar, I give you.. 

...the Doobie doobie doo song, otherwise known as the Tom Thumb theme tune.

It's simple, clean language, and causes a loud "Ohhhhh" or roar when done properly, and even better, it's unique to us ?

Used to be brilliant and could go on for ages, even just the Ooohhhh 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

As much as I hate the Gas, having an anthem brings a closeness in a fan base. Been on a few stag dos with Gas lads and as soon as they pipe up about “Irene” they all join in and people who don’t know us take notice 

Arsenal reckoned they had the same problem as is being suggested here and birthed one up out of nowhere last season. Now the whole stadium joins in on match days. Maybe a similar campaign here? Any City fan artists kicking about at the moment? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJI said:

In the 70s in the East end we used to sing you'll never walk alone and that got everyone going. It is not Liverpool's to own. Of course we were standing then which also helped.I

But for me a good old fashioned one to the tune of tiperarry .

It's a long way to Bristol city, it's a long way to go, it's a long way to Bristol City to the greatest team I know. Goodbye Bristol rovers, farewell Cardiff too, it's a long long way to Bristol City but out hearts with you.

In the EE in the ‘70s we also used used to sing ‘I’m forever blowing bubbles” and more bizarrely “H’way the lads” !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When Nige came in we could barely string a pass together so had to set us up as a counterattacking team (best system with what we had) This is ideally better as a away side tactic 

Over time we are gradually becoming a better possession side but I think we are still in transition to get this right at home - we really need to be patient as fans, as pressure is always on the home side to attack 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DJI said:

In the 70s in the East end we used to sing you'll never walk alone and that got everyone going. It is not Liverpool's to own. Of course we were standing then which also helped.I

It's a long way to Bristol city, it's a long way to go, it's a long way to Bristol City to the greatest team I know. Goodbye Bristol rovers, farewell Cardiff too, it's a long long way to Bristol City but out hearts with you.

I'd be 100% in favour of us singing "You'll never walk alone" to our team just before they entered the pitch. Many teams share anthems and that one's right up there to make the hairs on your neck stand up. Let the players know we are with them. The words could be put on the screen (if needed). I bet 90% would join in.

Doesn't do Liverpool any harm at home!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The Lansdown stand is horrible for atmosphere. It’s enormous and filled with non-singers.

That, plus the away fans being as physically far away from vocal home fans as possible = poor atmosphere. It’s such a shame because those in the corner do try.

The club had opportunity to get this right - the way to do that was to put away fans in the closest blocks to the Atyeo in the Lansdown or Dolman.. and give the entire Atyeo to vocal home fans.

I’d bet pretty much anything that if they’d done that and allowed the culture to grow in the home end - the atmosphere would be unrecognisable.

I believe that ‘the club’ don’t really want that though. They believe that atmosphere, or at least the more typical terrace culture atmosphere, = trouble. The club want families and more of a rugby clientele.. people who will drink at the ground and buy from the club shop. 

I think most of us know that positive home atmosphere contributes to the likelihood of good results. It’s such a shame the club have never really agreed.. and dragged their feet the entire time.

Total agreement. Give the Atyeo back to home fans . Singing from both ends.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJI said:

I remember those year well. My first home match was around 1970 with my dad right behind the goal in the center of the east end. After a few seasons we usually located in the corner of the east end adjacent to the Dolman. The atmosphere in those days was absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

As much as I hate the Gas, having an anthem brings a closeness in a fan base. Been on a few stag dos with Gas lads and as soon as they pipe up about “Irene” they all join in and people who don’t know us take notice 

We have an Anthem "Drink up thy Cider" Always been our song. Still, remember the Sunderland game first home win in the 1st div. the whole ground sang it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ciderhead433 said:

We have an Anthem "Drink up thy Cider" Always been our song. Still, remember the Sunderland game first home win in the 1st div. the whole ground sang it.

4-1 on that day. That was our fourth match of that season. "Drink up thy Cider" will aways be synonymous with Bristol City.

• Like 1

I'm lucky enough to remember the good old day's behind the goal in the East End. There were about 8 of us that used to go and we'd be on the natch at 11:00 after having a Full English in the cafe. By the time we got to the ground we were steaming and from the minute we got in we were singing our rollicks off. I'm an introvert by nature so I suppose it was all down to the booze, likewise it took 10 pints to get on a dance floor in a nightclub and turn into John Travolta.

Ashton Gate now a days is like a morgue in comparisons, and with a mixture of elderly people, and with the youngsters not into drinking anymore IMO it's not helped with the atmosphere. We used have singers in all parts, even in the Williams stand :laugh:

With regards to songs not much has changed really apart from songs for individual players.

13 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

It would be great if we could all join in a rousing club anthem that fully encapsulates our history, is unique and will become instantly recognisable as Bristol City.

Now, who's club anthem shall we nick?

?

Anybodys that works. They don't own the rights. Drink up thy cider doesn't work any more. That's why the atmosphere is flat. It may sound good if you are in the middle of 500 people singing it but it doesn't spread round the ground. Of course the atmosphere was better in the 70s. We were mostly all standing then. You don't sing when you're sitting down. We are not all Val Doonicans. (Ask your dad)

It's not songs as such that AG needs, it is firstly enough people responding vocally to what they are seeing in front of them. And what we have seen in 180 minutes thus far is two shots on target.

Do Leeds have a fervent atmosphere because their team really have a go at home, or vice versa? I think what Leeds fans would do if their team was as plodding and timid as ours at home is get irritable and impatient, they'd get cross and demand energy and intent. We just sit there, staring silently ahead.

But does Nige want us haring about all over the pitch like Leeds at Elland Road getting at teams leaving acres of space behind?

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

It's not songs as such that AG needs, it is firstly enough people responding vocally to what they are seeing in front of them. And what we have seen in 180 minutes thus far is two shots on target.

Do Leeds have a fervent atmosphere because their team really have a go at home, or vice versa? I think what Leeds fans would do if their team was as plodding and timid as ours at home is get irritable and impatient, they'd get cross and demand energy and intent. We just sit there, staring silently ahead.

But does Nige want us haring about all over the pitch like Leeds at Elland Road getting at teams leaving acres of space behind?

It's  the chicken and egg scenario. Which comes first  , performance or atmosphere. That's why we need to get the players syched up before they come out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, beaverface said:

We have a ready made chant, and imo, up there with the mighty Millwall roar, I give you.. 

...the Doobie doobie doo song, otherwise known as the Tom Thumb theme tune.

It's simple, clean language, and causes a loud "Ohhhhh" or roar when done properly, and even better, it's unique to us ?

Good shout. Simple lyrics which helps. Been sung for best part of 40 years too.

‘We Always Believe’ was also sung well in the GJ/Basso era because it was easy for people to join in (and we were doing well of course).

2 hours ago, marmite said:

It's  the chicken and egg scenario. Which comes first  , performance or atmosphere. That's why we need to get the players syched up before they come out. 

Support should be there especially if we are losing, the last thing the players need is the fans on their backs! 

49 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I have to say, the placement of the singing section means that even from where I am - about three blocks along in the Dolman - you can't actually make out most of what's being sung, unless it's something very trad.  That doesn't help. 

Placement of the section and cheap tickets doesn’t help at all. Section is full of teenagers hardly watching the game let alone singing! 

• Like 2

Old chants were at times a lot less fancy and complex than they can be now. That helps to get the wider crowd involved.

Saw some highlights from a First Division game a few years ago. Home side might have been Middlesbrough and they thrashed the opposition.

2-0 up..the chant I heard was

"2-nil, 2-nil, 2-nil, 2-nil!

"2-nil, 2-nil, 2-nil!"

They got a third and guess what the chant that was most prominent was.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Old chants were at times a lot less fancy and complex than they can be now. That helps to get the wider crowd involved.

Saw some highlights from a First Division game a few years ago. Home side might have been Middlesbrough and they thrashed the opposition.

2-0 up..the chant I heard was

"2-nil, 2-nil, 2-nil, 2-nil!

"2-nil, 2-nil, 2-nil!"

They got a third and guess what the chant that was most prominent was.

When the opposition scored back then, a popular response was: "you're gonna get yer ****ing heads kicked in!" Great atmosphere in those days .....