IGNORED

Earliest filmed footage of City in action???

spudski

There was film of the 1909 Cup Final. This was still being shown in 1934 in local cinemas to mark the 25th anniversary of the event. But this film, presented to the City Council and kept at the Central Library, became a victim of the blitz. What happened to the copy presented to Manchester I don't know, but because it was on volatile nitrate stock I assume at some stage it self combusted or simply deteriorated beyond repair.

The 1920 semi final v Huddersfield was filmed and I seen highlights at David Woods home.  

Iirc another early surviving film of Bristol City is of a match in the early 1920s at Clapton Orient attended, I believe, by the Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII. 

But this one is definitely up there with the earliest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Wallystreet said:

The Hotspurs play against West Ham - British Pathé (britishpathe.com)

The very end of this includes the players emerging from the tunnel, City vs Cardiff City. Seems like it's from the 3rd round of the FA cup in 1919/20. A 2-1 win on 21/02/1920. Eventually lost 2-1 in the semi final to Huddersfield.

Is that Billy Wedlock leading the team out?

6 hours ago, spudski said:

....1928 verses the Gas. 

Can't remember anything earlier...

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/

4 hours ago, Wallystreet said:

The Hotspurs play against West Ham - British Pathé (britishpathe.com)

The very end of this includes the players emerging from the tunnel, City vs Cardiff City. Seems like it's from the 3rd round of the FA cup in 1919/20. A 2-1 win on 21/02/1920. Eventually lost 2-1 in the semi final to Huddersfield.

The Central Library holds film of our FA Cup semi-final against Huddersfield in 1920. I've a copy on my phone. 

Total running time is under 1 minute - about 30 seconds of action, shot from behind one goal, a few bits of City attacking, then defending, none of the goals captured. Finishes with 10 seconds of all the chaps going down the tunnel at the final whistle, including a shot of Wedlock congratulating an opponent - they're right, he wasn't tall !  He retired the following season aged 40 so this was very much his last hurrah.

@handsofclay - Is this the film you've seen?

• Like 1

Well that was a err "topsy turvy" game wasn't it? The cameraman must have had a few pints of rough! :)

Also, people moan about goalkeepers getting too much protection today, but some of those challenges must have been borderline even then. They were just throwing themselves at him at times.

Edited by Port Said Red

20 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The Central Library holds film of our FA Cup semi-final against Huddersfield in 1920. I've a copy on my phone. 

Total running time is under 1 minute - about 30 seconds of action, shot from behind one goal, a few bits of City attacking, then defending, none of the goals captured. Finishes with 10 seconds of all the chaps going down the tunnel at the final whistle, including a shot of Wedlock congratulating an opponent - they're right, he wasn't tall !  He retired the following season aged 40 so this was very much his last hurrah.

Yes Merrick's Marvels it is. Some stills to follow:

16939296210213717956172000107031.jpg

16939296506837828846082654547025.jpg

16939296728937245367144494063201.jpg

16939296881837336413436502095689.jpg

16939297074231037830189696551292.jpg

16939297221135019395129314574061.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Cheers for that ?

11 hours ago, Dazy07 said:

This is amazing. My great grandfather played  for the club between 1907 and 1920. His name was Bob Young (Robert) if any one has any images etc it would be great to see them 

Here you go fella...

https://playupliverpool.com/1886/01/01/robert-k-young-robert-young-playupliverpool-com/

https://www.vintagefootballers.com/product/young-robert-image-1-bristol-city-1908/

https://www.vintagefootballers.com/product/bristol-city-image-1-jvjd-1907/

That last image with your Grandfather in the team photo would look great in a frame...bargain. 

• Like 3