IGNORED

Kids Football

Barrs Court Red

49 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Some teams mission is to win leagues and produce players for adults football. Expectation differs at differing levels. Managers and coaches should be honest about what their intent and expectations are. 

Should a AYL division one team at u16 not strive to win their league if that is realistic and that is their intent? 

I think it really depends on the ethos. One thing I really don’t like is when teams at AYL (and even HML!) try and poach players from other teams - we’re all part time coaches and I think “coaching not poaching” is how you prove your ability and build a more enduring team.

However I do think that it’s totally appropriate for teams to attempt to play at as high a level as possible based on their ability, and try and win that league.

Generally the ethos I have is that the players I have will (all things being well) be with me for 10 years by the time we finish. As a coach, you’re probably the most stable influence on those boys outside of their parents as they grow up. That’s a hell of a lot of responsibility so I see the first job as pastoral and to grow them as people, and grow their personal qualities and teamwork. However, there is a balance. They want to win games, so it doesn’t become equal playing time and the better players don’t miss time that much.

I totally agree that being honest is key. I’ve said to parents where their child sits as I can’t guarantee every player games (and in some cases in certain games playing them will ruin their confidence and that helps nobody). I don’t necessarily see at AYL the mission is to produce adult footballers - I think they’ll progress that way through love of the game and we aren’t talking kids who’ll become pros at U16 AYL 1/2.

Bottom line for me is develop them as people first and foremost. But absolutely try and win every game, and compete at a level where you are testing yourself and play at the maximum of your ability and effort every week.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think it really depends on the ethos. One thing I really don’t like is when teams at AYL (and even HML!) try and poach players from other teams - we’re all part time coaches and I think “coaching not poaching” is how you prove your ability and build a more enduring team.

However I do think that it’s totally appropriate for teams to attempt to play at as high a level as possible based on their ability, and try and win that league.

Generally the ethos I have is that the players I have will (all things being well) be with me for 10 years by the time we finish. As a coach, you’re probably the most stable influence on those boys outside of their parents as they grow up. That’s a hell of a lot of responsibility so I see the first job as pastoral and to grow them as people, and grow their personal qualities and teamwork. However, there is a balance. They want to win games, so it doesn’t become equal playing time and the better players don’t miss time that much.

I totally agree that being honest is key. I’ve said to parents where their child sits as I can’t guarantee every player games (and in some cases in certain games playing them will ruin their confidence and that helps nobody). I don’t necessarily see at AYL the mission is to produce adult footballers - I think they’ll progress that way through love of the game and we aren’t talking kids who’ll become pros at U16 AYL 1/2.

Bottom line for me is develop them as people first and foremost. But absolutely try and win every game, and compete at a level where you are testing yourself and play at the maximum of your ability and effort every week.

A man after my own heart, sadly your ethos is in the minority from my experience.

I have a 10 year old who I removed from the football environment 3 years ago, my wife and I have him partaking in numerous other sports that we think will aide his development and a person.  I started coaching 5 years ago with the intention of not necessarily coaching junior football but to provide our communities future adults with structure, discipline and values which will help them into adulthood.

Wow, how naive was I, some of the kids desperately need guidance, however what shocked me the most it wasn't the kids needed it most, but some of the parents.  Sadly from a group of 35 kids I witnessed more than 10 kids parents provide regular foul mouths towards officials, myself and fellow volunteers, micro coaching and encouragement of unnecessary aggression towards opponents.

No wonder we have a broken society that has little respect for one and other.  

• Like 4

Played our 1st game of the season yesterday in a crazy thunderstorm in Portishead. Soaked thru, thunder and lightning right above our heads, we lost. But I absolutely love it. Two promotions in two seasons, we may struggle this year, but we've got a great bunch of parents who will be there rain or shine !! #UTPK

Ps if there's any budding U14's keeper out there looking for a team, please get in touch ??

On 10/09/2023 at 10:28, petehinton said:

First day back for me scouring Bristol & North Somerset for the newest talent to join NSRTC (and then hopefully see them filtered into City’s academy then first team some years later).  Won’t be judging the games I pick to go to based on ease of parking and if I can get a tea/bacon sarnie from the clubhouse whilst watching the game too.  No sir. 

@petehinton Do you know Steve Arney from NSRTC then?

Loved playing youth football. Remember playing against the bottom in the league who had lost all 7 games and had a goal difference of 0 goals scored and 42 against them . 
second half we  were leading 5-0 when the ball was past to me and thinking our goalie hadn’t seen much of the ball decided on a pass back . The ball took an awkward bounce went through his legs and into our net. We won 7-1 but got congratulated by the opposing side at the end as I was now there top goalscorer. 

• Haha 1

My son’s team comfortably beat Bristol Rovers Supporters Club in the Avon Yourh League yesterday.  A conversation with one of their supporters revealed that he was a City fan, as were several of the players…

Their keeper punched the ball clear while a yard outside the area and only got a  yellow card.  Ah, Sunday referees…

On 11/09/2023 at 10:30, Silvio Dante said:

A fine post Sir. 

Ethos will alter across levels, the aspirations have too.

AY teams at the higher levels include sides that are feeder teams. Their existence is part to provide players for their parent club. A mission is to produce players for adults football. One recent winner of the U16 AYL 1 had five players go on to be pro club scholars and players go to Western league XI's and Southern league clubs. To not have players going on from these sides to higher levels in adult teams would be failure. 

I have managed and coached teams across all AYL divisions from colts in division five to teams in division one. In AYL five the quest was to win one game, have fun doing it and progress from there. In AYL one the quest was entirely different with players looking to win every week, win trophies and looking to continue playing post U16, the intent of the team, its Manager, coaches reflected those desires honestly and realistically - We are looking to win trophies and we can and do help develop players for higher levels in a serious football environment.

One size doesn't fit all. There we need to be very honest with players and parents. 

On 11/09/2023 at 14:33, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

My son’s team comfortably beat Bristol Rovers Supporters Club in the Avon Yourh League yesterday.  A conversation with one of their supporters revealed that he was a City fan, as were several of the players…

Their keeper punched the ball clear while a yard outside the area and only got a  yellow card.  Ah, Sunday referees…

Your Sons teams comfortable beat Bristol Rovers supporters club but you still wanted the supporters club keeper sent off? Tough.   

Any big games this weekend for anyone’s children? 

Wifes got the joy of taking youngest crotch goblin away to Bristol Rovers SC. Not one I’d normally want to miss, but girls side ko is a little bit close for me to watch both. 

On that note, the quality in the Bristol Girls league continues to really impress me. There’s so many talented young ladies coming through at grass roots level, City should be well served by such a pipeline. 

On 11/09/2023 at 14:33, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The offence can be a yellow card and the sanction might just be a free kick. Sunday leagues refs wont be looking to send of players who are 12, 13, 14?

To: The Somerset Football Community

It is with great sadness that I have to write this statement, however we need to address the escalating issues of poor behaviour in grassroots football within Somerset.

The opening months of the 2023-2024 season has seen the worst start to a season that we have ever witnessed, with an unprecedented increase in disciplinary cases. At the time of writing, discipline cases are up by 50% compared to the same time last year, the number of abandoned matches is double that of 12 months ago and we have a huge increase in discipline relating to youth football.

Season 2021/2022 and Season 2022/2023 were already two of the worst in terms of discipline that we have ever seen in Somerset and, far from an improvement in these statistics, we are seeing a worrying trend in the opposite direction.

Most worryingly, a large number of these cases are in youth football. Cases involving youth players and referees have risen by an alarming 66% from this time in 2022. The main offenders in youth football are adults, be they coaches, managers, club assistant referees, spectators or parents. This may not come as a surprise to some of you who regularly watch youth football, but now is the time for everyone to take responsibility and protect the game that we all love. Young people in football, regardless of their role, deserve to enjoy the game free from abuse and negativity, and should expect adults to behave in a manner that sets a positive example. The young people themselves have told us that they prefer a friendly environment so they can learn and most importantly, enjoy the game, this is simply not happening at the moment.

It would be wrong to think this is restricted to the youth game. The rise in indiscipline is spread across all aspects of grassroots football, from mini soccer, youth football, adult male and adult female.

THIS CANNOT GO ON.

We all take part in football because we love the game and appreciate the enjoyment it brings us, be that playing, refereeing, coaching or numerous other roles. However, the atmosphere for most of our participants at this moment cannot be enjoyable in the current climate.

The knock-on effect is of course felt across all areas of the game, not least in refereeing. Recruiting referees is in itself a difficult task, however for those who come through our courses the environment they face is hardly conducive to retaining them. All our referees, especially those who are recently qualified and are learning the game, deserve the same supportive, encouraging environment that is given to the players. This is even more crucial when the referee is a child themselves. Sadly, we’ve had more incidents of adults abusing new or young referees, with young referees being left in tears by the conduct of adults. (Our under 18 referees are easy to spot, as most wear a purple/pink shirt, so there is no excuse.)

THIS IS A SITUATION THAT CALLS FOR IMMEDIATE AND COLLECTIVE ACTION. I would ask everyone involved in the game, whatever your role, your age, the level you are involved at to take a moment to reflect on their actions and interactions, both on and off the field and think of the following:

•  Am I promoting respect and sportsmanship, or am I contributing to the problem?
  •  Do I need to make that comment, will I regret it and realise I’ve overstepped the mark afterwards?
  •  Do I need to criticise the referee for a mistake, or perhaps should I reflect on the mistakes I have made myself during the game?
  •  Am I setting a positive example to those who are participating? Adults - young people will copy your actions as you are their role models.
  •  Am I a positive role model for children and young people?
  •  Are my actions hurting football?

Most of you who read this won’t be the problem, the majority of participants abide by the rules and cause no trouble; however, we all must challenge poor behaviour when we see it; we cannot stand idly by and let the game be spoilt by a minority.

We will be working with clubs and leagues to reinforce codes of conduct and adopt a zero-tolerance policy for poor behaviour. This includes robust disciplinary procedures and sanctions for those who fail to adhere to these standards and could include the cancellation of fixtures.

These however should be the last resort, simply by taking ownership of our actions and behaving responsibly and decently, we can prevent these incidents taking place. It is for all of us to do our bit and do what is right and, if we do, the collective response will see us return to everyone taking part in the game we all love in the way we want it to be.

WE NEED TO ACT TOGETHER TO PROTECT OUR GAME

Somerset FA

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

To: The Somerset Football Community

It is with great sadness that I have to write this statement, however we need to address the escalating issues of poor behaviour in grassroots football within Somerset.

The opening months of the 2023-2024 season has seen the worst start to a season that we have ever witnessed, with an unprecedented increase in disciplinary cases. At the time of writing, discipline cases are up by 50% compared to the same time last year, the number of abandoned matches is double that of 12 months ago and we have a huge increase in discipline relating to youth football.

Season 2021/2022 and Season 2022/2023 were already two of the worst in terms of discipline that we have ever seen in Somerset and, far from an improvement in these statistics, we are seeing a worrying trend in the opposite direction.

Most worryingly, a large number of these cases are in youth football. Cases involving youth players and referees have risen by an alarming 66% from this time in 2022. The main offenders in youth football are adults, be they coaches, managers, club assistant referees, spectators or parents. This may not come as a surprise to some of you who regularly watch youth football, but now is the time for everyone to take responsibility and protect the game that we all love. Young people in football, regardless of their role, deserve to enjoy the game free from abuse and negativity, and should expect adults to behave in a manner that sets a positive example. The young people themselves have told us that they prefer a friendly environment so they can learn and most importantly, enjoy the game, this is simply not happening at the moment.

It would be wrong to think this is restricted to the youth game. The rise in indiscipline is spread across all aspects of grassroots football, from mini soccer, youth football, adult male and adult female.

THIS CANNOT GO ON.

We all take part in football because we love the game and appreciate the enjoyment it brings us, be that playing, refereeing, coaching or numerous other roles. However, the atmosphere for most of our participants at this moment cannot be enjoyable in the current climate.

The knock-on effect is of course felt across all areas of the game, not least in refereeing. Recruiting referees is in itself a difficult task, however for those who come through our courses the environment they face is hardly conducive to retaining them. All our referees, especially those who are recently qualified and are learning the game, deserve the same supportive, encouraging environment that is given to the players. This is even more crucial when the referee is a child themselves. Sadly, we’ve had more incidents of adults abusing new or young referees, with young referees being left in tears by the conduct of adults. (Our under 18 referees are easy to spot, as most wear a purple/pink shirt, so there is no excuse.)

THIS IS A SITUATION THAT CALLS FOR IMMEDIATE AND COLLECTIVE ACTION. I would ask everyone involved in the game, whatever your role, your age, the level you are involved at to take a moment to reflect on their actions and interactions, both on and off the field and think of the following:

•  Am I promoting respect and sportsmanship, or am I contributing to the problem?
  •  Do I need to make that comment, will I regret it and realise I’ve overstepped the mark afterwards?
  •  Do I need to criticise the referee for a mistake, or perhaps should I reflect on the mistakes I have made myself during the game?
  •  Am I setting a positive example to those who are participating? Adults - young people will copy your actions as you are their role models.
  •  Am I a positive role model for children and young people?
  •  Are my actions hurting football?

Most of you who read this won’t be the problem, the majority of participants abide by the rules and cause no trouble; however, we all must challenge poor behaviour when we see it; we cannot stand idly by and let the game be spoilt by a minority.

We will be working with clubs and leagues to reinforce codes of conduct and adopt a zero-tolerance policy for poor behaviour. This includes robust disciplinary procedures and sanctions for those who fail to adhere to these standards and could include the cancellation of fixtures.

These however should be the last resort, simply by taking ownership of our actions and behaving responsibly and decently, we can prevent these incidents taking place. It is for all of us to do our bit and do what is right and, if we do, the collective response will see us return to everyone taking part in the game we all love in the way we want it to be.

WE NEED TO ACT TOGETHER TO PROTECT OUR GAME

Somerset FA

My son is almost 9 and he is autistic. He's just got to the stage where he has really started to get into football. 

He has started to ask about playing for a team but it's very difficult because I don't want to expose him to the toxicity that exists in kids football. Because due to his disability if he witnessed bad behaviour then he would copy it. No childten should have to witness some of the vile behaviour that goes on in kids football. 

Bad behaviour shouldn't even have to be a consideration when parents are deciding about sending their kids to play. It's not a consideration for things like swimming and that's how it should be.

• Like 1

Soooooo I meant to dip in and out of this over the season but with everything City related I forgot…

Anyone have any highlights so far this season?  I see cup finals are now being played, any trophies for the bedroom trophy shelf? 

Turns out the full sized goals weren’t  the disaster my oldest thought they’d be. Downside is that they don’t seem to want to play any more - not sure how to handle it.  It’s been a step up in a league that’s full of amazingly talented players, so was always going to be up against.

Amazing natural ability which would be a shame to waste, but short of forcing them I’m not sure what I can do?  

Youngest has now finished the last 7 a side season they’ll play in.  That can’t come soon enough as they’ve all outgrown those pitches.

One thing I would point out is that I’ve seen zero poor behaviour on the touchlines this season - is this an outlier? 

My girl (12) is in her 3rd season of football and loves it . Games have been severely disrupted because of the rubbish weather this season, they’ve only played one game at home since the end of November. She’s doing really well , I never expected her to be as good to be honest and I love watching her play ,she’s got way more ability and pace than I did at that age . I’m a proud dad !  Women’s football will only improve in time with the amount of good quality coaching girls get now . 
She plays for her club side on a Sunday and south glos on a Saturday and is hoping to be in the south glos side next season when they will hopefully step up from the Somerset girl’s league to the junior prem league.  Also the change from 9 to 11 aside to deal with . With her pace and stamina I think she’ll relish a bigger pitch , certainly worked in her favour when they moved from 7 to 9 aside
I think the changes in kick off times for city next season will have a big impact on how many games we can watch as it will clash with her games . No contest there though , I’d rather watch her play anyway!

• Like 1

On 09/09/2023 at 08:59, Barrs Court Red said:

So it begins.  Another season of reluctant linesman duty’s, last minute player withdrawals, dog poo covered pitches, angry parents and angrier kids. 

Both mine play in goal.  Both have tricky matches and it will be eldest child’s first season on full sized pitches, which means full sized goals - she’s lost in it.  Can see some pretty high score lines while the kids get used to the new dimensions. 

Anyone else have games to go to this weekend? 

Epic times.

My boy went onto a better level but those seasons from age (5?) were so good. The parents running things were phenomenal.

My girl played for the same club, brilliant stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Soooooo I meant to dip in and out of this over the season but with everything City related I forgot…

Anyone have any highlights so far this season?  I see cup finals are now being played, any trophies for the bedroom trophy shelf? 

Turns out the full sized goals weren’t  the disaster my oldest thought they’d be. Downside is that they don’t seem to want to play any more - not sure how to handle it.  It’s been a step up in a league that’s full of amazingly talented players, so was always going to be up against.

Amazing natural ability which would be a shame to waste, but short of forcing them I’m not sure what I can do?  

Youngest has now finished the last 7 a side season they’ll play in.  That can’t come soon enough as they’ve all outgrown those pitches.

One thing I would point out is that I’ve seen zero poor behaviour on the touchlines this season - is this an outlier? 

It’s my son’s U16s team’s last season. They’ve only got a couple of games left and it’s strange to think that’s coming to an end with many of them having in the team for nearly 10 years. No particular highlights this season (they’ve lost many more than they’ve won) but some brilliant games. I’m hoping he’ll go on to join the U18s - at the moment he wants to but things can change. 

Behaviour on the touchlines has been really good.