IGNORED

Brian Tinnion Interview

Sheltons Army

"I've got a good relationship with Nige, which is important, and that's probably grown since I've got this role. We're really all together as a football club now I think"

The significance of the message conveyed here cannot be overstated, as it holds paramount importance not just for us, the fans, but also for the football club's owner, SL. If SL's overarching strategy involves generating revenue by nurturing and eventually selling our most promising young talents, then preserving the collaborative alliance between BT and NP assumes a position of utmost importance.

To elaborate further, the bond between NP and BT and the new unity within the club has taken root, fostering a collective sense of purpose and direction. 

It is crucial to recognise that, at this juncture, we find ourselves on the cusp of a potentially transformative phase for the club. As BT rightly emphasises, we have now established a distinctive style of play that not only identifies us on the pitch but also provides a foundation upon which we can build future success. The alignment between BT and NP, along with the broader cohesion within the club, is an indispensable ingredient in realising the vision of this new era.

Given these circumstances, any disruption or dismantling of this rebuilding process, particularly at this pivotal moment, would undoubtedly be disheartening for fans like myself. In fact, it could potentially lead to a profound disillusionment with the football club until such time as SL's stewardship comes to a close.

In essence, what we are witnessing here is more than just the evolution of a professional relationship; it is the embodiment of a collective commitment to a shared vision. The continuity of this partnership between BT and NP is the linchpin that can determine the trajectory of the club, aligning it with SL's strategic objectives and securing the loyalty and support of fans like myself.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Spot on. You still get people on here now talking about clubs in the bag which is actually an insult when you think about it. All it does is describe generally mediocre players who have a particular strength that might help you out now and again. A putter is a club in the bag and it only has one use.

If you recruit good players that fit your way of playing and have the ability to change it up and give you a bit of variety when Plan A needs changing you don’t need to fill your squad with clubs in the bag. Recruiting good players enables you to change your system a bit without having to buy another six players.

Clubs in the bag sounds clever and sounds like you have all eventualities covered if you don’t engage you brain and our owner fell for it hook, line and sinker.

And yet we will continue to have calls for player(s) for Plan B - typically a “target-man”.

One of the things Rennie said to me back in July was that if they needed to tweak things, they could do it in-game with the players on the pitch, not necessarily subs.  I think that plays into some players offering versatility, but still more than capable in whatever aspect they need to perform.

6 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

"I've got a good relationship with Nige, which is important, and that's probably grown since I've got this role. We're really all together as a football club now I think"

The significance of the message conveyed here cannot be overstated, as it holds paramount importance not just for us, the fans, but also for the football club's owner, SL. If SL's overarching strategy involves generating revenue by nurturing and eventually selling our most promising young talents, then preserving the collaborative alliance between BT and NP assumes a position of utmost importance.

To elaborate further, the bond between NP and BT and the new unity within the club has taken root, fostering a collective sense of purpose and direction. 

It is crucial to recognise that, at this juncture, we find ourselves on the cusp of a potentially transformative phase for the club. As BT rightly emphasises, we have now established a distinctive style of play that not only identifies us on the pitch but also provides a foundation upon which we can build future success. The alignment between BT and NP, along with the broader cohesion within the club, is an indispensable ingredient in realising the vision of this new era.

Given these circumstances, any disruption or dismantling of this rebuilding process, particularly at this pivotal moment, would undoubtedly be disheartening for fans like myself. In fact, it could potentially lead to a profound disillusionment with the football club until such time as SL's stewardship comes to a close.

In essence, what we are witnessing here is more than just the evolution of a professional relationship; it is the embodiment of a collective commitment to a shared vision. The continuity of this partnership between BT and NP is the linchpin that can determine the trajectory of the club, aligning it with SL's strategic objectives and securing the loyalty and support of fans like myself.

Really good post.

As fans we often hear rumblings of x doesn’t get on with y, so good to hear Tins and Nige seem aligned.  It also requires Tins to be strong as even Nige admits that Managers will always want more.  I imagine there is a good professional mutual respect for each other, whilst being cognisant of each other’s role.

• Like 1

On such evidence as we have from the owner and CEO I don't see a united club. A united football operation yes a united club no.

Both have been conspicuously unwilling to give any credit to Nigel, Brian and their teams. I can't help thinking that Steve's response to this interview would be "Yes but Luton...". Or whichever club he thinks we should emulate this week.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Rocky said:

I don't get these interviews really, he didn't get asked anything and answer anything we didn't already know/assumed to be the case.

Ah well, that's what happens when you only let club officials do friendly interviews in-house, everything is so closed and sanitised. 

Well, I didn’t know the deal for Roberts was all done and dusted as soon as the window opened as I thought we were chasing Bryan at that time and Roberts was Plan B. Clearly the budget was there to sign both of them, which flies in the face of this strict March budget. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Well, I didn’t know the deal for Roberts was all done and dusted as soon as the window opened as I thought we were chasing Bryan at that time and Roberts was Plan B. Clearly the budget was there to sign both of them, which flies in the face of this strict March budget. 

Dickie announced 5th June, deal went through 14th June (day window opened)

McCrorie announced 6th June, deal went through 14th June (day window opened)

Roberts announced 14th June, so on day window opened, but registration transferred on 1st July after his contract expired on 30th June

Technicalities, I guess! ?

As I said on BBCRB, I think Alexander’s comments suggest (to me) that they retrofitted the “budget strategy” story to what happened to a large degree.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Whilst I’m not suggesting they don’t get on, Tins isn’t going to come out saying Pearson is an absolute whopper and a nightmare to deal with. 

The question posed to Brian was, "It's been 10 months since you were appointed technical director, how are you and how are things going?" Naturally, in such a professional context, it's highly unlikely that Brian would openly criticise or make negative remarks about Nigel Pearson. However, it's essential to note that Brian initiated the discussion about Nigel without any prompting.

In essence, the question itself didn't specifically enquire about Nigel; it was a broader enquiry into Brian's tenure and the state of affairs under his technical directorship. Brian voluntarily chose to bring up Nigel Pearson, taking the opportunity to speak positively about him. Therefore, if Brian harboured any negative sentiments towards Nigel, he wouldn't have introduced him into the conversation, especially when the question didn't even relate to Nigel. Brian's unsolicited praise indicates a willingness to endorse Nigel's contributions, rather than any concealed negative opinions about him.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

I’ll take the place of Big Tone here.

The wheels are in motion uncle Steve don’t **** it up . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Roberts announced 14th June, so on day window opened, but registration transferred on 1st July after his contract expired on 30th June

As I said on BBCRB, I think Alexander’s comments suggest (to me) that they retrofitted the “budget strategy” story to what happened to a large degree.

Definite technicalities, but we were chasing Bryan in May and he would’ve commanded top dollar so the budget - supposedly set in March - was obviously there for him and Roberts.

My question is why weren’t those funds used to add one or two more before deadline day, especially if the cash was there for Bryan (and to a lesser extent Thomason and Murphy).

That says to me the goal posts were moved and this strict March budget is a load of retrospective shite made up to fit the narrative IMO.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, tin said:

That says to me the goal posts were moved and this strict March budget is a load of retrospective shite made up to fit the narrative IMO.

I couldn’t agree more. ??????

Even if we heard something that reading between the lines was along the lines of - we got the fee we wanted for Alex, but had to compromise on payment terms and that affects how Steve funds the club…

You could buy into it a bit, but also get a sense that some of that money helps future seasons too.

But you can’t help getting shivers from “if we can sell a player for £25m every season” and “nest egg”.

I do think that SL has always had support because of the argument “but he’s stuck £200m”.  But this is the first time you can’t necessarily give him credit for that, and I think some supporters of SL have at least started to think a bit differently.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, spudski said:

In the first couple sentences, he says...' We have a way of playing now'.

How ridiculous as a Championship side, that we didn't in the past. 

At least we now recruit accordingly to how we play. 

So frustrating that in the past we had a CEO and manager that recruited with a philosophy of having a ' club in the bag' for every scenario.

Even more frustrating is that we have an owner that didn't pick up on this at the time. It's a basic football principle.

Exactly.  It's been clear for years we needed a Director of Football/Technical Director.  Who better than someone who loves the club, has been a great servant, and was a fantastic player to take on that mantle.   Manager wasn't right for him, and it took a sabbatical in Spain for him to find his way back, but he has landed a pivotal role at our club and I'm very thankful we have him (and NP) influencing recruitment and directing how we play.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 13/09/2023 at 21:47, Sleepy1968 said:

I used to love sniffing the big fat marker pens that smelled a bit like pears - well to me anyway.

Also, when I was Primary School age, I loved evostick, but it used to give me wicked headaches. (I was not a classic glue sniffer: my highs were got from watching the repairs that our dad was doing around the house. No one ever thought to open the windows in the 70s. At least not in our house.)

It’s petrol for me ??  should I be saying that 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Who’s mcCrorie 

• Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Whilst I’m not suggesting they don’t get on, Tins isn’t going to come out saying Pearson is an absolute whopper and a nightmare to deal with. 

Pearson has spoken extremely positively about Tinnion in numerous interviews over time. 

If anyone thinks there is any friction between the two then they would be absolutely completely deluded. 

They have a very good relationship, both on and off of the pitch and both have a shared vision of this club which we are seeing. 

On this occasion, whatever you're looking for, doesn't exist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Pearson has spoken extremely positively about Tinnion in numerous interviews over time. 

If anyone thinks there is any friction between the two then they would be absolutely completely deluded. 

They have a very good relationship, both on and off of the pitch and both have a shared vision of this club which we are seeing. 

On this occasion, whatever you're looking for, doesn't exist. 

My wife has spoken to people / friends about how good a relationship we have ,

i will leave it there ???

• Haha 1